Woah this phone is awesome

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I finally got my hands on a Lumia 800 at a Telus store in Canada. I was really, really impressed. It looks far nicer in real life than in photos.

The one nit I have is that the auto-brightness was all over the map. I think I'd have to turn that off and accept the hit to battery life.

I've been on the fence whether to go 800 or 900. I'm waiting til the 900 comes out next month, but right now I'm expecting it will be too big. The 800 is a nice pocket size.

The one downside is that I have a very nice legacy plan at Rogers and Telus won't match it. Argh, decisions, decisions.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it is! I went down from 4" screen to this. Was not that bad. 3,7" pretty much is the perfect pocket size while not being too small. You can also easily use the phone with one hand without stretching your fingers in an uncomfortable way.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason that one of the most popular phones the later years has stuck with their 3.5 " !

I'm happy that I just went for the 800. The best phone I have ever had :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

iBerry Lifestyle

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Blackberry Curve 3G to the Lumia 800 and I am very happy. The reason for my decision was mostly to have a better browser exprience while keeping Blackberry's efficiency. I enjoy the seamless integration of social accounts. All the apps I used on my Blackberry are available on the 800 as well. Additionally, Nokia Drive and Nokia Music are incredible.

I use my SIM from the Blackberry in the 800. Emails arrive in 3-30 seconds if set to "as items arrive". On the Blackberry they arrived instantly (1-2 sec). But 30sec is good enough.

Some things I miss:
Media buttons from the Blackberry Curve 3G. When I listen to music I never take out a device from my pocket to switch tracks, pause, and what not. That's the convinience I got used to. With the 800, as pretty much with most devices in the world (most Apple devices, Androids, Blackberries, touch mp3/4 players etc), now I have to take the device out of my pocket to switch tracks etc. Ok, most phones just don't have media buttons, so no complains here. In Nokia Music you can't fast forward within a track,you can only jump to the next or previous track, play and pause. In the Zune app you can fast forward. Strange.
The 800 has no profiles. Only normal/vibrate & silent/vibrate. If you disable vibrate you'll have only normal & silent.
The 800 has no multitasking. It can switch between programs but doesn't run them in the background. I haven't tried the following but I think you can not be on a phone all and browse the net or open any apps. I think the call would cancel.
I can't think of any more downsides right now, but there certainly are some.

PS: I learned something yesterday and would like t share it with those who don't know this.
You can press and hold VOLUME DOWN+LOCK BUTTON for 3 sec and the phone will restart (basically a battery pull)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Blackberry Curve 3G to the Lumia 800 and I am very happy. The reason for my decision was mostly to have a better browser exprience while keeping Blackberry's efficiency. I enjoy the seamless integration of social accounts. All the apps I used on my Blackberry are available on the 800 as well. Additionally, Nokia Drive and Nokia Music are incredible.

I use my SIM from the Blackberry in the 800. Emails arrive in 3-30 seconds if set to "as items arrive". On the Blackberry they arrived instantly (1-2 sec). But 30sec is good enough.

Some things I miss:
Media buttons from the Blackberry Curve 3G. When I listen to music I never take out a device from my pocket to switch tracks, pause, and what not. That's the convinience I got used to. With the 800, as pretty much with most devices in the world (most Apple devices, Androids, Blackberries, touch mp3/4 players etc), now I have to take the device out of my pocket to switch tracks etc. Ok, most phones just don't have media buttons, so no complains here. In Nokia Music you can't fast forward within a track,you can only jump to the next or previous track, play and pause. In the Zune app you can fast forward. Strange.
The 800 has no profiles. Only normal/vibrate & silent/vibrate. If you disable vibrate you'll have only normal & silent.
The 800 has no multitasking. It can switch between programs but doesn't run them in the background. I haven't tried the following but I think you can not be on a phone all and browse the net or open any apps. I think the call would cancel.
I can't think of any more downsides right now, but there certainly are some.

PS: I learned something yesterday and would like t share it with those who don't know this.
You can press and hold VOLUME DOWN+LOCK BUTTON for 3 sec and the phone will restart (basically a battery pull)

I have both opened apps and surfed the web while on a phone call.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my hands on a Lumia 800 at a Telus store in Canada. I was really, really impressed. It looks far nicer in real life than in photos.

The one nit I have is that the auto-brightness was all over the map. I think I'd have to turn that off and accept the hit to battery life.

I've been on the fence whether to go 800 or 900. I'm waiting til the 900 comes out next month, but right now I'm expecting it will be too big. The 800 is a nice pocket size.

The one downside is that I have a very nice legacy plan at Rogers and Telus won't match it. Argh, decisions, decisions.

Regarding the auto brightness, the latest firmware update is supposed to have improved the brightness sensing and adjustment speed of the screen.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would say that after my few weeks with the lumia 800, comparing to my previously owned focus, titan, and focus s, that this is head and shoulders above the rest, especially in fit and finish. I would be quite happy if MS and Nokia make this an exclusive partnership to be honest.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason that one of the most popular phones the later years has stuck with their 3.5 " !

I'm happy that I just went for the 800. The best phone I have ever had :D

yeah, but have you noticed how the actors/hand models in the more recent iPhone ads for some reason have really small hands? bet you a dollar the next iPhone has a bigger screen. :lol:

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
got my phone today.. Its so lovely, every app is lovely. It was the easiest phone i have ever used to set up (twitter, facebook and so on). And it worked right out the box with the 3g net and sms/mms...

mits

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Loving My Phone

Managed to pick up my White Lumia yesterday and have to say its an amazing phone.
Have been through a spate of blackberries and android handsets recently as i get bored very quickly. Did really want a lumia 900 but couldnt wait for it.

I love the interface and the build quality. Call quality is very good on both ends and it has great signal strength.

The software updated with no hitch and thankfully everything i'd read about in terms of problems are not present. Music playback is awesome - balanced with no overblown bass, the picture quality out does my brothers iphone 4s and as for battery: Has been off charge since 4:30am thurs with sync every 30 mins, 45mins phone call, 30 mins browsing, 1 1/2 hrs of music playback. Its now 12:36 am on friday and i still have 46% remaining!!

Most of the apps are in marketplace for what i wanted so that hasnt been an issue as yet. I think its a keeper. Its the perfect size. Found my galaxy nexus a little too big. The keyboard on the lumia is very good even though it has a smaller screen.

Overall two big thumbs up from me. I think its awesome.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Managed to pick up my White Lumia yesterday and have to say its an amazing phone.
Have been through a spate of blackberries and android handsets recently as i get bored very quickly. Did really want a lumia 900 but couldnt wait for it.

I love the interface and the build quality. Call quality is very good on both ends and it has great signal strength.

The software updated with no hitch and thankfully everything i'd read about in terms of problems are not present. Music playback is awesome - balanced with no overblown bass, the picture quality out does my brothers iphone 4s and as for battery: Has been off charge since 4:30am thurs with sync every 30 mins, 45mins phone call, 30 mins browsing, 1 1/2 hrs of music playback. Its now 12:36 am on friday and i still have 46% remaining!!

Most of the apps are in marketplace for what i wanted so that hasnt been an issue as yet. I think its a keeper. Its the perfect size. Found my galaxy nexus a little too big. The keyboard on the lumia is very good even though it has a smaller screen.

Overall two big thumbs up from me. I think its awesome.

Where'd you get a white one?!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

How much is the closest comparable plan TELUS offers? What is the price difference per month? Multiply the monthly difference by 36 and if it's more than $530 buy it outright and use it on Rogers. That's what I'm planning to do, but on Bell. My plan is $15 cheaper than TELUS can offer with the same features, time 36 months equals $540, which means I'm saving money BEFORE I even factor in the ETF, as I signed a 3 year term with my HD7 last summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs