Why I chose a Lumia 800

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Do live outside the states? Is that why you went with the 800 over the 900?

Yes, exactly. I'm in Switzerland. Originally, I wanted to wait for the Lumia 900, but my old phone just drove me crazy. I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Oh, regarding battery life:
- I've put the device to airplane mode at midnight. Battery left 36%, 10 hours to go
- 06:00: Battery left 34 %, 14 hours to go.
Looks pretty normal to me.

nlys87

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Here in Germany the Lumia 900 is said to be released this week by O2. I recently bought a Lumia 800. Now I'm not sure whether I should trade it in or not.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Do live outside the states? Is that why you went with the 800 over the 900?

Here in Germany the Lumia 900 is said to be released this week by O2. I recently bought a Lumia 800. Now I'm not sure whether I should trade it in or not.

I think here in Switzerland it could become June, that's why I couldn't wait. I would like to try a Lumia 900 anyway, just to find out if it's too big for me or not.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, cckgz4.

I've installed the new Star Wars App a few minutes ago (How could I not, having bought the white stormtrooper Lumia!). I then installed Darth Vaders Breath as a ringing tone and tested this by calling myself from my landline. It didn't ring, went directly to combox. Also, I couldn't do any outgoing calls.
After restarting my Lumia, all was well.

Coincidence?

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've removed and reinstalled the Star Wars app, it had no influence on the connectivity whatsover. I've meanwhile found out that some other people who are with the same provider have the same problem, so it might be a non-Lumia-related issue.

Which could be proved by remembering if my old phone (HTC Wildfire, same provider) had the same problem ... but I cant, due to the fact I had so many issues (sudden reboots, dropped calles, death grip - no, it's not Apple exclusive!, frozen phone ...)

Anyway, am happy with my Lumia so far.

And ... I really like the hardware. The screen is so nice and smooth to touch, matching the buttery-smooth OS. What a relevation!

But ... I have one big issue with my phone. Since there are no crashes even after installing a dozen of apps (Don't laugh, I couuldn't do that on my last phone!)and those apps are running so bloody smoothly, I'm losing a lot of sleep. Just yesterday I've found Farm Frenzy 2 on Xbox Live, and gone was my good nights sleep!

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I've removed and reinstalled the Star Wars app, it had no influence on the connectivity whatsover. I've meanwhile found out that some other people who are with the same provider have the same problem, so it might be a non-Lumia-related issue.

Which could be proved by remembering if my old phone (HTC Wildfire, same provider) had the same problem ... but I cant, due to the fact I had so many issues (sudden reboots, dropped calles, death grip - no, it's not Apple exclusive!, frozen phone ...)

Anyway, am happy with my Lumia so far.

And ... I really like the hardware. The screen is so nice and smooth to touch, matching the buttery-smooth OS. What a relevation!

But ... I have one big issue with my phone. Since there are no crashes even after installing a dozen of apps (Don't laugh, I couuldn't do that on my last phone!)and those apps are running so bloody smoothly, I'm losing a lot of sleep. Just yesterday I've found Farm Frenzy 2 on Xbox Live, and gone was my good nights sleep!
Sounds like a good problem to have. Personally for me it is Wordament that keeps me awake. :)

Personally am debating getting the new Lumia 900 as it is out this Saturday here in Singapore. Still, L800, good times.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
@Heron_Kusanagi
I haven't tried wordament yet. But will, for sure.

Something else struck me. I prefer checking my emails on my Lumia. Much easier since all my addresses have been linked together. (Does anybody know if that's possible under Windows 7?)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Some tidbits:

• I like the way the word correction works in text field. This is actually the first phone where I leave this feature activated. I prefer having suggestions choosable in a separate field as opposed to the software writing a suggestion directly into the text field (I always found this so annoying).
  • I started using Nokia Music yesterday and find it a good way for a lazy person like me to get some varietey in my music choice without having to download an extra app.
  • Unfortunately, my phone froze for the first time yesterday. I was listening to music, and suddenly, the screen didn't react to my touch. Weird. Will keep an eye on it and try to find out what caused this. Thank god restarting the phone doesn't take too long!
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE the screen. I don't mean its sensitivity, but its sheer smoothness. Moving my finger over it feels like the screen was oiled (WHich isn't the case, I clean it quite often!) I'm not using any case for the phone right now because I also like the smooth feel of my white lumia (My fingertips are very sensitive to non-smooth surfaces)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Something that I find sad: The bing music recognition doesn't work for my region (Switzerland). I would have to re-setup the phone using a german windows live ID. Too much of a hassle. Still would like to have this feature, though ... :(

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Something that I find sad: The bing music recognition doesn't work for my region (Switzerland). I would have to re-setup the phone using a german windows live ID. Too much of a hassle. Still would like to have this feature, though ... :(
I use Soundhound for that. You should be able to find it in the marketplace. It's free and it finds most songs, plus you can pin a live tile which starts the music recognition immediately.

Luminatic said:
Something else struck me. I prefer checking my emails on my Lumia. Much easier since all my addresses have been linked together. (Does anybody know if that's possible under Windows 7?)
This should be possible in most mail programms. I currently use Thunderbird and I also have have linked inboxes (Configureable at "Ansicht -> Ordner -> Gruppiert").
I think Microsoft's Windows Live Mail also supports this.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow! You seem so happy with it.

Could you tell me if you miss the F(ront) F(acing) C(amera)? That's the only thing keepin g me away from the 800.

I would purchase the 900 right ahead (once it will be released in Romania), but the price (that i've seen on a german store) was way too high.

I really wished it had FFC, so I could take pics of myself and use Instagram~like apps that, just as my friends are on their iDevices. :(

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi iAdrian23,
No, I don't miss the FFC at all. I don't do videocalls - simply because most of my friends don't have smartphones and data plans. I once had a phone with an FFC (One of the Nokia Xpress Music series, can't remember which one), but never really used it except for some gimmik pictures of myself ;)

If an FFC is very important to you, you might be better off with the Lumia 900, I think!

And - yes, finally, I'm happy with a smartphone. I really, really enjoy the smoothness and the feel in my hand, and I use it much more than my old phone: More games, more internet surfing, more just playing around. Finally I can understand those people who say a smartphone can be fun. :cool:

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Dear Lumia,

Thank you for guiding me through areas where I don't know my way around today! And thank you for guiding me safely home. As I'm a little nightblind and was very tired on my way home, therefore missing a few turns, I really the way you calculated a alternative way home.

(my codrivers were very impressed).

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia for three weeks now, and I still like it a lot.
A cute thing happened yesterday. My mother (almost 80, has not technical know-how whatsoever, even her good old flipphone seems complicated to her) is quite impressed with my phone. She told all her friends how neat it was that a phone could guide us through unknown territory (she was with me in my car when we drove around last week). And yesterday, I showed her some pictures I made with it. She saw the homescreen, gazed at the tiles and said: "I like the way that everything is so clearly visible. But the phone is rather complicated, isn't it?" (My answer was: Depends on what you want to do with it, and it's much easier then my last phone).

Makes me wonder if my mom would like it and be able to handle it? My idea is: I could get her the same (or a similar, maybe the Lumia 710 might be good enough) phone, configure everything for her, like moving her contacts over from her old phone, pinnning the most important ones to the homescreen, remove anything that could be confusing?

Unforutunately she doesnt (and never will) own a computer. I'm just asking myself if it is possible to have a windows phone only - without zune, without connection to a computer?

What I'll do is the following: I see her every week, and each time, I'll show her something on my phone and watch her reaction. I also let her play with it, to help her to get used to a touch screen. I started this yesterday, by showing her my tarot app - I made her pick a tarot card (trying to get her used to a touch screen). Maybe, maybe, if she loses her fear, she would find it neat to have something easy to use to make her first steps in a modern world?

What do you think about it?

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi - yes, it is as I described.
I am aware some Lumia 800 users have complained about some static noice between songs, but I've never heard them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon