06-20-2012 08:00 AM
54 123
tools
    Thanks for the welcome, cckgz4.

I've installed the new Star Wars App a few minutes ago (How could I not, having bought the white stormtrooper Lumia!). I then installed Darth Vaders Breath as a ringing tone and tested this by calling myself from my landline. It didn't ring, went directly to combox. Also, I couldn't do any outgoing calls.
    After restarting my Lumia, all was well.

Coincidence?
    05-08-2012 03:22 PM
    I've chosen WP because I was tired of customizing and tweaking my OS all the time.
    05-09-2012 08:01 AM
    I've removed and reinstalled the Star Wars app, it had no influence on the connectivity whatsover. I've meanwhile found out that some other people who are with the same provider have the same problem, so it might be a non-Lumia-related issue.

Which could be proved by remembering if my old phone (HTC Wildfire, same provider) had the same problem ... but I cant, due to the fact I had so many issues (sudden reboots, dropped calles, death grip - no, it's not Apple exclusive!, frozen phone ...)

Anyway, am happy with my Lumia so far.

And ... I really like the hardware. The screen is so nice and smooth to touch, matching the buttery-smooth OS. What a relevation!

But ... I have one big issue with my phone. Since there are no crashes even after installing a dozen of apps (Don't laugh, I couuldn't do that on my last phone!)and those apps are running so bloody smoothly, I'm losing a lot of sleep. Just yesterday I've found Farm Frenzy 2 on Xbox Live, and gone was my good nights sleep!
    Last edited by Luminatic; 05-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    MAERSK likes this.
    05-09-2012 12:17 PM
    I've removed and reinstalled the Star Wars app, it had no influence on the connectivity whatsover. I've meanwhile found out that some other people who are with the same provider have the same problem, so it might be a non-Lumia-related issue.

Which could be proved by remembering if my old phone (HTC Wildfire, same provider) had the same problem ... but I cant, due to the fact I had so many issues (sudden reboots, dropped calles, death grip - no, it's not Apple exclusive!, frozen phone ...)

Anyway, am happy with my Lumia so far.

And ... I really like the hardware. The screen is so nice and smooth to touch, matching the buttery-smooth OS. What a relevation!

But ... I have one big issue with my phone. Since there are no crashes even after installing a dozen of apps (Don't laugh, I couuldn't do that on my last phone!)and those apps are running so bloody smoothly, I'm losing a lot of sleep. Just yesterday I've found Farm Frenzy 2 on Xbox Live, and gone was my good nights sleep!
    Sounds like a good problem to have. Personally for me it is Wordament that keeps me awake. :)

Personally am debating getting the new Lumia 900 as it is out this Saturday here in Singapore. Still, L800, good times.
    05-10-2012 11:57 AM
    @Heron_Kusanagi
    I haven't tried wordament yet. But will, for sure.

Something else struck me. I prefer checking my emails on my Lumia. Much easier since all my addresses have been linked together. (Does anybody know if that's possible under Windows 7?)
    05-10-2012 01:17 PM
    Some tidbits:

• I like the way the word correction works in text field. This is actually the first phone where I leave this feature activated. I prefer having suggestions choosable in a separate field as opposed to the software writing a suggestion directly into the text field (I always found this so annoying).
    • I started using Nokia Music yesterday and find it a good way for a lazy person like me to get some varietey in my music choice without having to download an extra app.
    • Unfortunately, my phone froze for the first time yesterday. I was listening to music, and suddenly, the screen didn't react to my touch. Weird. Will keep an eye on it and try to find out what caused this. Thank god restarting the phone doesn't take too long!
    • I LOVE LOVE LOVE the screen. I don't mean its sensitivity, but its sheer smoothness. Moving my finger over it feels like the screen was oiled (WHich isn't the case, I clean it quite often!) I'm not using any case for the phone right now because I also like the smooth feel of my white lumia (My fingertips are very sensitive to non-smooth surfaces)
    MAERSK likes this.
    05-12-2012 01:48 PM
    Something that I find sad: The bing music recognition doesn't work for my region (Switzerland). I would have to re-setup the phone using a german windows live ID. Too much of a hassle. Still would like to have this feature, though ... :(
    05-12-2012 03:18 PM
    Lumia 800 in white <3

Would love to have one but unfortunately they don't make a RM-819 model in white q_q
    05-12-2012 06:21 PM
    Something that I find sad: The bing music recognition doesn't work for my region (Switzerland). I would have to re-setup the phone using a german windows live ID. Too much of a hassle. Still would like to have this feature, though ... :(
    I use Soundhound for that. You should be able to find it in the marketplace. It's free and it finds most songs, plus you can pin a live tile which starts the music recognition immediately.

Something else struck me. I prefer checking my emails on my Lumia. Much easier since all my addresses have been linked together. (Does anybody know if that's possible under Windows 7?)
    This should be possible in most mail programms. I currently use Thunderbird and I also have have linked inboxes (Configureable at "Ansicht -> Ordner -> Gruppiert").
    I think Microsoft's Windows Live Mail also supports this.
    05-13-2012 04:29 PM
    Thanks, Aeon2K!
    05-14-2012 02:01 PM
    Wow! You seem so happy with it.

Could you tell me if you miss the F(ront) F(acing) C(amera)? That's the only thing keepin g me away from the 800.

I would purchase the 900 right ahead (once it will be released in Romania), but the price (that i've seen on a german store) was way too high.

I really wished it had FFC, so I could take pics of myself and use Instagram~like apps that, just as my friends are on their iDevices. :(
    05-15-2012 11:05 AM
    Hi iAdrian23,
    No, I don't miss the FFC at all. I don't do videocalls - simply because most of my friends don't have smartphones and data plans. I once had a phone with an FFC (One of the Nokia Xpress Music series, can't remember which one), but never really used it except for some gimmik pictures of myself ;)

If an FFC is very important to you, you might be better off with the Lumia 900, I think!

And - yes, finally, I'm happy with a smartphone. I really, really enjoy the smoothness and the feel in my hand, and I use it much more than my old phone: More games, more internet surfing, more just playing around. Finally I can understand those people who say a smartphone can be fun.
    05-16-2012 01:36 PM
    Dear Lumia,

Thank you for guiding me through areas where I don't know my way around today! And thank you for guiding me safely home. As I'm a little nightblind and was very tired on my way home, therefore missing a few turns, I really the way you calculated a alternative way home.

(my codrivers were very impressed).
    05-19-2012 07:59 PM
    I've had my Lumia for three weeks now, and I still like it a lot.
    A cute thing happened yesterday. My mother (almost 80, has not technical know-how whatsoever, even her good old flipphone seems complicated to her) is quite impressed with my phone. She told all her friends how neat it was that a phone could guide us through unknown territory (she was with me in my car when we drove around last week). And yesterday, I showed her some pictures I made with it. She saw the homescreen, gazed at the tiles and said: "I like the way that everything is so clearly visible. But the phone is rather complicated, isn't it?" (My answer was: Depends on what you want to do with it, and it's much easier then my last phone).

Makes me wonder if my mom would like it and be able to handle it? My idea is: I could get her the same (or a similar, maybe the Lumia 710 might be good enough) phone, configure everything for her, like moving her contacts over from her old phone, pinnning the most important ones to the homescreen, remove anything that could be confusing?

Unforutunately she doesnt (and never will) own a computer. I'm just asking myself if it is possible to have a windows phone only - without zune, without connection to a computer?

What I'll do is the following: I see her every week, and each time, I'll show her something on my phone and watch her reaction. I also let her play with it, to help her to get used to a touch screen. I started this yesterday, by showing her my tarot app - I made her pick a tarot card (trying to get her used to a touch screen). Maybe, maybe, if she loses her fear, she would find it neat to have something easy to use to make her first steps in a modern world?

What do you think about it?
    05-26-2012 02:56 AM
    Hi - yes, it is as I described.
    I am aware some Lumia 800 users have complained about some static noice between songs, but I've never heard them.
    05-31-2012 01:01 PM
    Just a short hello while I'm still waiting to get my Lumia back.

Breaking the Lumia 800 Gorilla glass (And using a HTC one S as a temporary replacement till I get it back) tought me some things:

1) Why, oh why must I be so bloody clumsy.
    2) While Android on a powerful phone is much faster and less laggy and the One S is a very good device (looks good, nice screen, good size), I am realizing that (and why) I like Windows Phone (& The Lumia 800) better than Android: It is, for me, a lot less complicated to use. I never have to spend a lot of time finding out where to find what. Fewer apps needed (example: No apps needed for browsing sites, on the One S, some forum members suggested some apps for some sites that didn't work well on browser). Lumia feels much better and more natural in my hand. Costumization? I'm just rsing that I don't costumize the very costumizable HTC. Working in IT 100%, tinkering with Unix, Windows and software during the day is enough, I don't want that during my free time. I want to use that device, not customize it to death.

Of course, WP has its disavantages (Audible!!! I'm talking to you!!!). I would like to have the possibility to connect the Lumia to my PC via USB cable and use it like a hardware drive (I did this with the one S to put some decent music to it - didn't want to use the HTC software for it because I find it so awful). I wonder if Microsoft is going to introduce this option in the future.

But still, but still. I miss the pictues of family & friends popping up on my tiles. I miss how comfortably I can hold my Lumia (got sensitive hand and elbow joints ... a good and comfortable grip is essential for me). I miss the smooth, comfortable internet surfing, lying down on my couch with nothing more than my phone in my hands, not worrying if a site isn't shown well (or gets stuck). I miss the zune music player (find it much easier to use than the music software on HTC). I miss Nokia music which offers me more variety when listening to music.

I want my Lumia back, dammit. :@

(The only phone I missed so much was my good old blue Nokia Xpress Music when I drowned it in coffee. Silly me. Went to the shop and replaced it with the pink version. :lol:)
    HeyCori likes this.
    06-09-2012 04:41 PM
    Wow - after two weeks with an Android device (HTC one S) I finally got my Lumia back. Boy, am I glad, and boy, do I know why I chose WP over Android. I actually did a little happy dance when I got the message my Lumia is ready to be picked up :P

Also, while replacing my screen, the slight creeking sound when pressing the volume buttons is gone.
    HeyCori and dannejanne like this.
    06-15-2012 05:27 PM
    I'm glad you have your Lumia back! The 800 is a lovely phone. :D
    Lubna and Luminatic like this.
    06-16-2012 09:33 AM
    I've also been a long time nokia fan, particularly with their hardware. The N97 mini was one of my favorites, it felt really comfortable in hand and was really functional the way I could transition to the qwerty keypad. When I lost it, I was well upset lol. The N900 was a solid replacement but it didn't feel as good to handle.

The Lumia 800 trumps the N97 mini in every way. I was skeptical about going to a full touch screen, but the Lumia (and OS keypad in general) was incredibly responsive and accurate I don't miss the hardware qwerty like I thought I would.

I'm also glad you got your Lumia back. It's such a solid and beautiful device, and the OS is fantastic
    Luminatic likes this.
    06-17-2012 03:11 AM
    I'm so glad I've got is back as well. I just hope Nokia will continue existing and making phones. I've always liked their hardware. I remember my first mobile phone - some big, blue Nokia (I can't remember which model). Reason why I chose it? It was blue and it felt great in my hand.
    06-17-2012 03:33 AM
    wow, just wow after reading all of your comments here, it makes me feel much more worthy taking the leap from android to WP. my first and earliest nokia devices were the ever famous 3310 and also 8210. after that i switch sides to Sony Ericsson, x10 mini, X10i and WT19i. Currently i just sold my last 2 android devices, x10 n WT19i just for the sake of funding the lumia :P

now i can't wait for my lumia to arrive, hopefully the courier arrives in front of the door step tomorrow. i'm using nokia x1 as temporary phone for now, the only thing i can do with this phone besides the music player, radio and games is playing with the torchlight in the dark :lol:
    06-19-2012 04:45 AM
    I'm so glad I've got is back as well. I just hope Nokia will continue existing and making phones. I've always liked their hardware. I remember my first mobile phone - some big, blue Nokia (I can't remember which model). Reason why I chose it? It was blue and it felt great in my hand.
    I agree, it's a shame to hear about those employees who may be losing their jobs. It's a tough environment. It hurts seeing a company you've followed for so long hit tough times. Like a fallen giant. Hopefully their collaboration with Microsoft and the adoption of Windows phone will turn things around for them.

Seeing as you got that old Nokia in blue, did you get the cyan lumia 800? :D

wow, just wow after reading all of your comments here, it makes me feel much more worthy taking the leap from android to WP. my first and earliest nokia devices were the ever famous 3310 and also 8210. after that i switch sides to Sony Ericsson, x10 mini, X10i and WT19i. Currently i just sold my last 2 android devices, x10 n WT19i just for the sake of funding the lumia :P

now i can't wait for my lumia to arrive, hopefully the courier arrives in front of the door step tomorrow. i'm using nokia x1 as temporary phone for now, the only thing i can do with this phone besides the music player, radio and games is playing with the torchlight in the dark :lol:
    lol I remember the 3310. That thing was a tank. Congrats on your lumia purchase. Hope you like it ;)
    06-19-2012 05:00 AM
    thanks, i'm pretty sure i'm going to enjoy this phone and certainly won't change for a while :P

thing i regret is that it took me nearly half a year before decided to purchase it :D
    06-19-2012 05:08 AM
    It also took me a while to justify purchasing the phone, it was a lot of money. But seeing all the features and demoes on the nokia website, it was just too much to resist lol.

I'm glad I got it in the end. I can say it is the best mobile phone I have owned. It does everything I need it to do and also looks the part.
    06-19-2012 05:27 AM
    my lumia arrived by this morning, greeted by the postman. i barely can contain my excitement when receiving the package! :D

So i ease myself, take few deep breaths before opening the box one by one as if i was making an unboxing review on youtube. At the first time turning on the device, i knew i'm making the perfect choice and never regretted my decision to dump android. everything went smooth as i scroll throughout the device and until right now i'm still trying to get used to.

it's superb, anyone who uses an android device before would understand the joy of scrolling + launching apps effortlessly, without any stutter or whatsoever. i kept playing with it until the battery dried out n charging it right now.

but the things that bothered me a bit is the heat generated, it's kinda warm compared to any other smartphone i ever get my hands on. and somehow i felt that the battery is draining too fast not until i turn on the battery saver.

i guess i'll lurk around more and read up few tips for this phone then while waiting for the battery to charge. honestly, lumia 800 is one **** of a device, i totally recommend anyone to try it ;)
    06-20-2012 04:43 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD