Apps when cell is locked

eksus

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was thinking in get a Lumia 800 :D and i have some doubts...
I'd like to know if is true that the wifi is turned off when phone is locked or what happens(behavior)

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes wifi is disabled when you lock the phone. So you need to rely on 3G then.

Though if you download something it will stay on as long as its downloading even if you lock your phone.

eksus

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes wifi is disabled when you lock the phone. So you need to rely on 3G then.

Though if you download something it will stay on as long as its downloading even if you lock your phone.

so...if I'm at home using wifi + whatapps and the phone get locked, i won't receive messages from whatsapps ? is it what you are telling me :confused:?

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
so...if I'm at home using wifi + whatapps and the phone get locked, i won't receive messages from whatsapps ? is it what you are telling me :confused:?
Yes. But if you have 3G turned on that will kick in once the screen is off. Alternatively if you have the phone plugged in and charging then WiFi remains on.

It's a standard battery saving feature built into the OS and therefore present on all Windows Phones. It is possible that the option to keep it on at all times may be added in a future update, but at this point in time no one can say for sure.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that my 710 keeps wifi on when it is plugged in via usb (to a computer or outlet) even after it's locked.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So I got a Board Express update today and thought they fixed the quote/crash issue. No such luck. Idiots. Ok, back on topic.

Yes, WiFi will stay on when your phone is plugged into any power source. Also, when not plugged in WiFi will turn on every two hours to check for update. Probably not good enough for your needs though.

Remember, this is a Smartphone. And Smartphones use data. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

eksus

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember, this is a Smartphone. And Smartphones use data. Just sayin.

I know it ;)

It's because in my work i have WIFI, so there is no need to use 3G instead of WIFI, right ?
I most of the case i have a source of power when i'm using WIFI

but... i intend to get a Lumia 800 which has unibody closed, so no chance to change battery if it got harmed...
In my case the phone will be plugged all the time ( wifi environment).

won'tt hurt or reduce the battery life ? cause...you know...leave it plugged all the time it's not good to battery life, right?

Last edited:

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I know it ;)

It's because in my work i have WIFI, so there is no need to use 3G instead of WIFI, right ?
I most of the case i have a source of power when i'm using WIFI

but... i intend to get a Lumia 800 which has unibody closed, so no chance to change battery if it got harmed...
In my case the phone will be plugged all the time ( wifi environment).

won'tt hurt or reduce the battery life ? cause...you know...leave it plugged all the time it's not good to battery life, right?
With older Li-ion batteries it would have been an issue, but it's not anymore.

Also, you can feel free to leave your 3G data connection "on" just in case, when WiFi is available the 3G is turned off automatically and then back on when/if WiFi is lost.

But, if you don't mind taking 2 seconds to turn either radio on or off as you need them, then there's a very nice little free app on the marketplace called Toggle which lets you put a shortcut to those settings on your homescreen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro