Tango + Nokia Firmware Update for Lumia 800 on Orange UK

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 800 received the Tango update this morning (not forced), it did a total of three updates in this order:

• 8112 Update
  • 8773 Tango
  • Nokia Firmware

Anyone else on Orange UK with a Lumia 800 should be receiving it now. Internet Tethering, finally! Here's some quick shots of the Internet Sharing screen and Software/Hardware details after the update:

21551d1341657066-120707-111809.jpg

21552d1341657244-120707-113234.jpg

Last edited:

duddit2

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm on Orange UK with Lumia 800, just checked via Zune and nothing! :(

although seeing someone with it gives me hope, at least orange seem to have pushed it and its just a waiting game now - anyone know how the update push works? I did think once carrier and device were good to go all would get it, but this obviously isn't the case.

does the Zune trick still work?

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm on Orange UK with Lumia 800, just checked via Zune and nothing! :(

although seeing someone with it gives me hope, at least orange seem to have pushed it and its just a waiting game now - anyone know how the update push works? I did think once carrier and device were good to go all would get it, but this obviously isn't the case.

does the Zune trick still work?
Its strange, some Lumia 800 owners on Orange UK has also been saying that haven't received anything while others got the update. There are two Lumia 800 product codes on Orange as seen on the Nokia Update Availability page.

My only explanation of the situation I have is one of the Lumia 800 product codes is getting the update at the moment, while the other isn't (at the moment)

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Its strange, some Lumia 800 owners on Orange UK has also been saying that haven't received anything while others got the update. There are two Lumia 800 product codes on Orange as seen on the Nokia Update Availability page.

My only explanation of the situation I have is one of the Lumia 800 product codes is getting the update at the moment, while the other isn't (at the moment)
My understanding is that when it's marked as 'available', it's gradually rolled out to the handsets. My 800 was from Carphone Warehouse but no update yet, despite being marked as available. I believe this is why.

Software Update availability for Nokia Lumia phones in Europe - Nokia

"The updates will be published in weekly waves, here you can check the status of the update for your country. Also, software updates for the Nokia Lumia range are released gradually through a quality control system called ?throttling ?. That means, once the updates are started, throttling will initially decrease the update?s visibility to ensure that quality and performance requirements are met for the update process itself. As soon as the update is available for you, you will get a notification pop-up on the phone screen (if automatic checking not disabled manually) ."

duddit2

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got the update now (tricked using the network connection and air-plane mode), but internet sharing doesn't work and the new play to app just crashes :(

Does my account need to be enabled by orange for internet sharing?

duddit2

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ok just spoke to Orange 2nd line support -they apparently were not aware of this update but hes pushed out the internet sharing settings (different APN basically) and tethering now works fine! whoohooooo

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess oldgaius is right regarding the staggering of the update. I didn't have to do any of the forcing methods it just happened, though I definitively got the Orange Tango ROM as it has all the Orange modifications, plus my phone is locked on Orange, so I wouldn't get anything else.

When I signed up for my Contract it had always stated 1 GB of inclusive internet and tethering. So yes Orange allow it already. I tried it out and it works great.

The Nokia update page still have Orange down as Waiting for approval, but it is available, will probably be a bit longer for total coverage.

Fynolt

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The staggered updates are quite annoying. I've been watching the nokia update page for days wondering whats going on.

I have myself a Cyan 800 from Carphone Warehouse on Orange, and it's a Country Varient 059M539 (the model varient code is printed on the sim card tray if anyone is wondering)

The Orange Update, as well as for the Nokia models all became available today according to Nokia's availability Page, yet my CV M539 became available in the middle of last week.

It's frustrating being told that it's there, but not being able to access it. Trying to stay calm and be patient, but I want my update! :p

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm suffering too. :D Roll out via T-Mobile Germany started last week, for both device revisions. But my Lumia is not under the lucky ones... :( Forcing does not work either, it drives me crazy! It already didnt work with Mango when I had a Mozart. :confused:

*sigh* Patience... but I'm too impatient to be patient :D

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one on Orange who is checking the Zune software on the hour lol

Unfortunately it's a waste of time:

"Also please be aware the Zune update checker uses a cache which will allow you to actually check the status in Zune once in 24 hours. If you check again within this time you will receive the same result as before even if the update becomes available in the meantime." (Emphasis mine.)
Nokia Support Discussions - While the Nokia site says the Lumia update is avai... - Nokia Support Discussions

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
At least you know its there guys! I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I assumed the update would be more visible that it is currently, but hopefully you should all get it soon!

stuuz

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I just got the update by forcing it using the flight mode trick, but i get " no data connection available" when trying to use internet connection sharing.

I realise this is due to APN settings but unlike some, orange won't send me the new settings, they just tell me that it doesn't work and the only fix is Windows 8.

Can someone please send me the working APN settings??

Cheers, Stu.

wrighty694

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
while i realise and appreciate that this thread started off as an Orange thread it has since developed as these things often do....so.....

....i'm on Vodafone, got the update last night via Zune (got the notification on the phone first, this wasn't just a lucky stab in the dark lol), all seems fine, tethering is now on, new icons are just as....icony as they were, all seems well :)

When's 7.8 out? ;)

ElliotHolmes

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Still on 8107 here - glad to see lots of other people, on Orange and other networks, have received theirs though.

wrighty694 - think 7.8 will be after WP8 from what most people are saying :)

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Got the update yesterday evening, no phone alert, just chanced my arm by plugging the phone into Zune and it was there. Takes a long time to get through the three updates though so don't start the process unless you've got around an hour spare.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3