Who's responsible for Tango update

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a US version of the Lumia 800 that I purchased from Microsoft. It is unbranded and unlocked (like all of them purchased through MS), but my service is through AT&T. I've been reading about the Tango and firmware update that is being rolled out around the world and it all seems to be carrier driven. But when I read about Tango updates coming out in the US, the carriers are only talking about updating phones issued through them. For example, AT&T recently announced updates for the Lumia 900, but not a peep on the 800.

My guess is that 99% of Lumia 800s in the US use AT&T's network, but AT&T barely acknowledges its existence. Evidence of this is that after several months of ownership, my phone still doesn't register on its billing system as a Lumia 800.

So, to my question...Since I don't have an AT&T branded phone, who will be rolling out my Tango/firmware update? AT&T? Microsoft? Nokia? Does anyone have any insight into this whole thing?

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
if i'm not mistaken, both nokia and microsoft is responsible for the updates we receive.

and that's where zune came in, just connect your phone to a pc and let zune do the update. But several users like myself had a problem finding the update as zune always state the phone is already up to date and forced me to use the 'noDo' trick.

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I've tried the Zune trick to try to update the phone, but to no avail. According to Nokia, the update for my phone is "Awaiting Approval." My only question is, approval from whom? Where is the bottleneck?

theboo

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
On your SIM tray should be a number referring to your 'provider', but I dont know if that number actually means anything if bought through MS.
On Nokias support sites you can see if updates for your number (forgot how they call that number...) are approved or not.

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I've tried the Zune trick to try to update the phone, but to no avail. According to Nokia, the update for my phone is "Awaiting Approval." My only question is, approval from whom? Where is the bottleneck?

On your SIM tray should be a number referring to your 'provider', but I dont know if that number actually means anything if bought through MS.
On Nokias support sites you can see if updates for your number (forgot how they call that number...) are approved or not.

here, on nokia's site they did mention this 'serial' number, compare it and see the status. it depends whether an update is already available or not to your phone.

i'm not really sure who's authority in approving these updates, M$ perhaps?

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday Nokia's update web page posted that the update for my phone was now available. So I guess whomever was supposed to approve it approved it. I wonder if my tweet the night before to @windowsphone asking if and when they were going to approve it had any effect. Probably all coincidental, but it's nice to think my question had some impact, even if it didn't. ;)

Still nothing has been pushed to my phone, and the Zune trick is not working. So I will patiently wait and hope that in the next few days my phone will get updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss