Lumia 800 better than Lumia 900

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I own a Lumia 800 and I've been to the phone store and played with the Lumia 900 multiple times.

I was just wondering if anyone else thinks the same, that even though the 900 has a much bigger screen, the 800 just seems nicer to hold and the curved Clear Black screen, even though smaller, is just much better to look at than the 900?

I'm hoping WP8 is released on a very similar model to the 800 and if any adjustment should be made is screen size to 4" not 4.3. I'm sure there are people out there who just love huge screens but the 800 just fits nicely in your hand and also I think if the curved glass limits the size, keep the curved glass and keep it at 3.7 if you have to.

I've had the 800 for 6 months now and I'm still loving it.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the opportunity to visit the US and visited an ATT store just to see the difference and I am with you on this, I would not swap my 800 for a 900.

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Agree 100%. I had the choice of the 800 or 900 and after using both it was an easy choice for me to go with the 800.

The 900 was too big for my taste (I upgraded from an Omnia 7 and wouldn't go bigger than that) and the flat screen is no where near as nice to use. I thought I might miss the extra screen space but I haven't.

I hope they also stay with this design for some time, I'm sold on it.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
For me, the 800 would be perfect, if it only had a FFC for Skype calls.

Truth be told, the glass on the 800 is actually 3.9 inches, which is the same as the N9 (where the design is borrowed from...same chassis and all). If you look at the N9, it is all touch screen, no buttons.

Still, this phone would be perfect for me, if it had a FFC. As it is, I love this phone, as much as I did my EVO 4G...and that was a TERRIFIC phone :)

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm hoping Nokia release a similar WP8 Lumia 800 phone with a FFC because once Skype is integrated I think I'm going to start using it heaps.

And @freypal I came from an Omnia 7 too and think the same. No bigger than 4".

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping WP8 is released on a very similar model to the 800 and if any adjustment should be made is screen size to 4" not 4.3. I'm sure there are people out there who just love huge screens but the 800 just fits nicely in your hand and also I think if the curved glass limits the size, keep the curved glass and keep it at 3.7 if you have to....

Agree wholeheartedly. I wish they would've made the 900 4" instead of 4.3" I'm not sure why they didn't. Maybe it was an American thing. Since they love everything bigger over here. Don't really need the front camera or LTE plus the 800 looks sexier so it's definitely better to me.

I hope Nokia has learned from these previous Lumia models and make something so amazing customers will want to own it even if they just bought something recently...

Sophie Taylor

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am impatient to get a Nokia Lumia for myself. I am still not sure which model should I get for myself. I found that some people have come up with problems in their Lumia 800 sets, so I guess I will go for Lumia 900.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
The 800 is a pretty awesome device. Not sure if I'd switch my 900 for it though.

I don't care for screen size (as I still have an iPhone), but the larger battery is a plus. The other reason is that I received $50 back to get the phone. I paid $50 at at&t and then received the $100 credit on my bill. The 800 wasn't being offered with a similar deal or even on contract at at&t.

usstuscon12

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my take after owning both devices at the same time.

*Build quality- The build quality on the 800 to me was far superior than that of the 900. The 900 felt like my 710. The body felt more plastic even though they are both polycarbonate, and the texture felt cheap. Tapping on both devices with your fingernail made the 900 seemed cheap, while the 800 did not. The plastic bezel around the screen on the 900 does not help either, as dirt began being trapped between the body and screen and the bezel and the screen. Also the earpiece started accumulating dirt, since the unit was black, it was very visible! Not to mention the vibration motor buzzing the heck out of the camera lens, but on the 800 there is none of that.

*Screen- I am not sure whether it is due to the coating or the curved class, but the 800screen wins hands down. The 900 screen accumulating so much fingerprints and oily residue, it felt like my 710. When the fingerprints would "dry up" on the screen, it would have residue left behind which made the swiping experience very poor and the screen felt very gummed up. Also, as mentioned before, the cheap plastic bezel around the screen made dirt trap between the screen and the plastic bezel, and the plastic bezel and the body. With the 800, the screen was always very smooth no matter how many fingerprint smudges there were, it seemed less visible and the experience was always pleasing, not to mention that the screen flushed with the body so there was no dirt to be trapped between it and the screen.

*Scroll speed- The scroll speed also on the 900 lags compared to the 800. It's like as if the sensitivity was optimized for the smaller screen, but when put to a larger screen, it requires more movement of a swipe to get the desired scroll speed and distance. Top that off with the smudgy-gathering screen and the swiping experience can be a high-friction experience.

*Auto-brightness sensor- The sensor on the 900 is just plain stupid. It is a terrible experience. When you turn it on, you get a 10 second lag in the brightness adjusting to the light, and then it brightens up afterwards. When it scales down, it scales down in steps rather than smoothly dimming and smoothly brightening. It is annoying. Not to mention when using the device outdoors, it pushes brightness to high, which is fine, but then turn it off outdoors, go back indoors and turn it back on and its stuck to high, which would require turning off and on the device again to re-adjust to the inside brightness, and this is with the latest updates. With the 800, it scales smoothly, and there is no lag in adjustment.

On a sidenote, I got better battery life with the 800 than the 900. Both were configured the same way with the same amount of apps. I did not have LTE on the 900 since I am on StraightTalk. In the end, the front facing camera, bigger battery, bigger screen, and gyroscope I did not care for. The 800 wins hands down, and the 900, well it's just like the 710, garbage.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if the 900 screen gets greasier or not than the 800. If it does it must be terrible.

I think the 800 is absolutely terrible in this regard. It gets greasy all the time. It's a damn oil magnet which looks very bad on anything other than black.

I have a Galaxy Nexus too and I never really have to wipe it. It gets dirty but never shows. The grease also is very easy to take away with a few swipes on your shirt. On the 800 the oil just sticks as a very fine layer which is visible at mlst times when there is light on the screen.

I believe it's a combination of coating and distance from glass to actual screen, which is much less on the Nexus. The difference is so huge I seriously consider laying down my 800 for good. I never have to wipe Galaxy screen as taking it out of my pocket does the job. Not so on the 800.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I didnt like holding the 900 compared to the 800, that flat glass and the sort of 'rib' on edges of the glass made it feel....flat. Its also cuz it felt like the design was just stretched to fit the size of the phone, whereas the 800 was (well the n9) made with its size in mind.

I would say the 920 is probably closer in feel to the 800 than the 900, just cuz it also has the curved glass and the curved polycarbonate casing probably does wonders to make it less slab side feeling.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what is meant by the 900 becoming greasy. I've not had this problem. I hear some complain abt the 920 as well. Im not sure if some ppl just overproduce in natural body oils or... I tend to keep my hands pretty clean. Besides a finger print smudge here or there on the back, that I usually just wipe off, I've had no problems with grease or dirt.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs