Nokia lumia 800 as present

Rassva

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I've searched the web and haven't found any good battery reviews, perhaps some users which have this Lumia can tell me more about the battery. I'm interested of knowing if the numerous updates fixed the battery life.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 800 for about a year and a half now and battery has been good for the most part. Only for the first few week or so did I have ant inconsistency but I'm guessing it is down to calibration. I am running the latest 7.8 update (OS ver: 7.10.8862.144 and .12430 Firmware) and can easily get a solid day of use from it.

My usage: 3 email accounts (2 sync hourly +1 as items arrive), people hub every few hours, watch some youtube videos, amazing weather app update info hourly, whatsapp, various live tile updates (WPCentral app, oyster card balance/travel updates) and checking news feeds.

Charge overnight until around 7/8am and it usually lasts me until 8/9pm with a few hours to spare.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
My 800 manages one day if I don't play many games or something like that, but a normal day I usually have about 30% left after about 15hours :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I own a L800 and L920. I actually prefer my L800, however, buying a L800 at this point likely isn't a wise decision. The only situation in which that makes sense is if your mother is basically a feature phone user that doesn't intend to use the device for anything but making calls and listening to music (Xbox music is still better on WP7). If you expect her to do anything more than that, then at this point you really need to go WP8. Not because of the hardware (the L800 is snappy, and with the exception of app load times, just as smooth as any WP8 device), but because software and app support for WP7 will be coming to an end one year from now.

Rassva

May 19, 2013
Visit site
She will use the Radio( which I think will only be on the 520 ), photos, whatsapp, rarely browsing the internet, ocassional email and calls.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
She will use the Radio( which I think will only be on the 520 ), photos, whatsapp, rarely browsing the internet, ocassional email and calls.

To be clear, a radio only makes sense when you lack unlimited internet access. Not only because you can stream almost anything over the internet these days, but also because you get a lot more radio channels to choose from. For example, if your mother intends to use the radio primarily at home, where I'll assume she has WiFi (without data limits), then using apps like TuneIn or Nokia Music are better than a real radio. However, if your mother prefers to use the radio "on the go", where I'll assume she uses a standard data plan (with data limits), then that is where a real radio is useful. Only then should radio support really be a priority.

Unfortunately, none of the current WP8 devices include radio support. None! The GDR2 update is expected to enable radio support for all Lumia WP8 devices except the L620. However, if radio support is important to her, I would wait for GDR2 to be released and get confirmation before buying a L520. The WP7 based L800 already has radio support.

If your mother wants to make photos as well as view them, then the L520 is the better choice. The L800 has the worse camera, despite having the higher resolution sensor (see this).

Internet browsing will be better on the L520 than the L800 due to the faster hardware. The slightly larger screen of the L520 may also make internet browsing more enjoyable on that model.

For the other things either model should be fine, although I expect WhatsApp to start stagnating on WP7 soon. I don't expect new versions of WhatsApp to come to WP7 devices any longer.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
While I really like my Lumia 800, I agree with a5cent. It is an aging device and the camera is indeed pretty inconsistent. Unless you are getting an insane deal, you're probably better off getting a cheaper WP8 device that will be supported better in the foreseable future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720