810 owners. pls give your feedback.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Just picked one up at lunch time. I'm on the value plan with 1000 shared minutes. Got an HTC Amaze last year and still have 12 months of financing on it at $15/month. I was able to get the L810 for $100 + $33 tax and $17.50/per month. I was a little disapointed to see that whoever planced the phones out put them in the wrong places. The Lumia 810 was on the 8X display and vice versa. I mentioned it to the salesman. He verified my statement. Told his co-worker and they just laughed together (sigh.)

The screen is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I have played around with plenty of OLED displays and have NEVER seen the draw. They have all been too dim and too over-saturated -- couldn't understand how everyone else was seeing bright, brilliant displays when to me they looked cartoon-ish. However, the display on this phone is quite nice being insanely bright and not too over-saturated. Can't wait to get home this evening and load up my new SD card with 64GB (!) of music.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks fifthGear. Let us know once you are done and had enough time to play with it. Will be intresteing to see how the 810 works as i may get this over 920 in a few months time.

Waiting for MetalChick710 for her review:).. she was planning to get it today.:)

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just picked one up at lunch time. I'm on the value plan with 1000 shared minutes. Got an HTC Amaze last year and still have 12 months of financing on it at $15/month. I was able to get the L810 for $100 + $33 tax and $17.50/per month. I was a little disapointed to see that whoever planced the phones out put them in the wrong places. The Lumia 810 was on the 8X display and vice versa. I mentioned it to the salesman. He verified my statement. Told his co-worker and they just laughed together (sigh.)

The screen is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I have played around with plenty of OLED displays and have NEVER seen the draw. They have all been too dim and too over-saturated -- couldn't understand how everyone else was seeing bright, brilliant displays when to me they looked cartoon-ish. However, the display on this phone is quite nice being insanely bright and not too over-saturated. Can't wait to get home this evening and load up my new SD card with 64GB (!) of music.
I almost bought one over lunch, but am still mulling over whether to go with an 8x or 810 - really leaning towards the 810. If you have a chance to share any more thoughts on the phone, would be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I almost bought one over lunch, but am still mulling over whether to go with an 8x or 810 - really leaning towards the 810. If you have a chance to share any more thoughts on the phone, would be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

My choice of the 810 over the 8X was simply my desire for a great deal of storage (given the 64GB SD card). I'm often in places where I have no signal and I really enjoy my music. If storage were not an issue for me I probably would have gone with the 8X (which looks better in person than any pics I have seen).

The 810 seems pretty snappy and quite well constructed. I personally prefer the black case to colors -- just opinion though.

I have broken numerous phones so hoping to get a very minimal case such as a bumper very soon. No desire to carry a bulky case since I keep my phone in my pants pocket.

Sorry. Not much of a "reviewer" here but if you have specific questions I will be more than happy to try to answer them.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My choice of the 810 over the 8X was simply my desire for a great deal of storage (given the 64GB SD card). I'm often in places where I have no signal and I really enjoy my music. If storage were not an issue for me I probably would have gone with the 8X (which looks better in person than any pics I have seen).

The 810 seems pretty snappy and quite well constructed. I personally prefer the black case to colors -- just opinion though.

I have broken numerous phones so hoping to get a very minimal case such as a bumper very soon. No desire to carry a bulky case since I keep my phone in my pants pocket.

Sorry. Not much of a "reviewer" here but if you have specific questions I will be more than happy to try to answer them.
Thanks for the response, short but to the point. I agree, the 8x does look fantastic in person, especially the screen. A problem for me though, is the color. I'm in too many professional settings to pull out a blue/purple phone. And a case kind of seems to defeat the purpose.

In addition to the storage and wireless charging, the Nokia apps seem pretty cool. I got to play around with Nokia Music in the store, and it seemed pretty darn nice. If you have a chance, please let me know of your impressions of Nokia Drive on the 810. Thanks!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love this phone so far. Brand new to Windows Phone and am coming from a 3.2" display on an old Android... so this is going to take some getting used to!

The phone is fairly light to me... seems like the same weight as my Android (129 g), but it's actually 16 g heavier - so I'm impressed, it must be spread out nicely through the device.

The camera is good, I haven't tested extensively but when I got home my dog was curled up underneath the desk of my little office - and it was really weird to find her there - so I took a photo. I also took a photo of my MS Store receipt to prove I got it for $449 :p I'm not used to having a flash on my phone at all so this is a monumental upgrade for me, wow.

A little overwhelmed right now with everything I want to try on this device, but I don't think it's too big, it's definitely a perfect weight and size, and it looks gorgeous... and it's snappy!! I had to write an article for Tmonews so I didn't get to spend much time playing around with it... and I actually have to head to a class right now, but I'll write more of my impressions later :)

OH, and it comes preloaded with Nokia Drive but not the Nokia Drive+ Beta. I wonder if that's why some people on this forum aren't getting the updated Nokia Drive experience? Because their phones were preloaded with the old, non-beta version? Hmph. I'm going to use it on my drive to school, and test out the new announced street names :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks fifthGear. Let us know once you are done and had enough time to play with it. Will be intresteing to see how the 810 works as i may get this over 920 in a few months time.

Waiting for MetalChick710 for her review:).. she was planning to get it today.:)

I didn't get the phone just yet because of problems I ranted and raved about here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-810/202893.htm

However, I did take Mystictrust's advice in ordering it online. I should be getting the phone sometime next week (they estimated 11/22, though that's Thanksgiving), so I'll definitely be leaving my review then! ;)

tobygwinn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I went into the tmobile store today to compare the 8x (which I was leaning towards) and the 810...I walked out of the store, came home and ordered the 810. I held the two side by side and here is why I bought the 810. While 8x is a nicer looking phone, surprisingly the 810s screen is by FAR a much nicer screen. It makes the the 8x's screen look dull and washed out. I tried different brightness settings on both to compare but IMO the 810 was far superior in color, brightness and clarity. Also, the 8x they had sitting out in the store had severe light bleed on both sides of the screen that gave it a yellowish tint in about a 1 inch line going down both sides of the screen. The 810s screen did not have this and was perfect. I understand that it is a factory quality defect in the 8x, but with all the rebooting troubles I am hearing and then seeing that...that made the decision for me. I am coming from and iPhone 4S and have had iPhones for several years now since the iPhone 3G and have never had any issues with it, I want the same experience in a windows 8 phone as well, and the HTC seems like to much of a risk with all that I have seen and heard.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
How would you say the back of the phone looks and feels?

I personally wish Nokia provides a glossy back instead of the soft touch, matte coloured back. I think glossy would look good with the look of the front of the phone.

tobygwinn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 8x had a rubberized texture and felt fine, the 810 was more of a hard plastic but seemed more durable and less scratch resistent. I can't really comment on the weight of each since they had them in the anti-theft claws of doom. :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the 8X dummy phone at the T-Mobile store I visited today. I have to say the back felt very nice. I liked the rubbery feel. Only problem is from what some people have been saying, the rubber can peel off. Then again, this supposedly happened to a reviewer who dropped his phone.

Can't wait to receive my 810 in the mail. Hoping it gets here sooner than next week. :happy:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So I loved my phone already before I left for my class, but now that I gave her a british accent (Nokia Drive) I am even more in love <3 I'm just going to relay my first Nokia Drive+ experience.

My phone got a quick indoor GPS lock. I quickly downloaded the English (US) voice with "Announced street names" and ran off, as Nokia Drive was telling me I'd get there with only 10 minutes to spare :p The voice sounded just like any old female automated voice reading stuff to you. The directions once I hit the street were really nice, and correctly informed me of where I needed to go (I know this route like the back of my hand). I really enjoyed the "Stay the course of the road for X miles" voice... it's a small touch that I like better than "Go straight for X miles" because, well, the road isn't exactly straight - it curves and turns :p

I knew there was a problem when she told me to turn at one exit number that was one too early... so I skipped it and expected a quick reroute. The way many Texas highways are, however, is a one way frontage road that runs right alongside each side of the highway until you hit an intersection, so Nokia Drive kept chugging along, assuming I was staying on the frontage road from the previous exit :( I then realized it would have just put me on the frontage road one exit too early and forced me to sit at one traffic light. Hmph. It never got the opportunity to reroute since the frontage road didn't split very far off the highway. Anyway, it got me to my class just fine.

On my return, I downloaded the other English voices, the English (UK) "Recorded Voice" and the English (US) "Recorded Voice". Neither announce street names, but I already had tried that. Both voices sounded incredibly smooth and not as robotic as the street name voice. I drove home with English (UK) because she had an amazing accent and for quite a while I squealed in delight everytime she gave me a direction. I really don't need street names if I have this accent to guide me around! Plus, whenever you get real close to a turn, she tells you to turn (as well as announcing it at so many yards or miles before you have to turn) so it's fine. I guess the real test would be in a completely unfamiliar area... can I survive without announced street names? OH... on the way home I forced it to reroute by driving way off course. It took about 2 or 3 seconds to find a new route for me automatically.

Nokia Voice itself doesn't really give ANY textual indicators as to what street or highway exit to turn on next... you have to rely on the voice or the visual route and your position. That I'm not very fond of, because I do want to see what street I have to turn on next ahead of time. OH well. Edit: It does, however, tell you the name of the road you're currently on. Edit 2: It seems that in some areas lately I've been able to see the name of the street to turn on, textually. Additionally, it also sometimes shows an arrow on which direction to turn in the upper left. I think there are more features if the phone is rotated to landscape.

As for people who are complaining in these forums about not being able to get to Nokia Drive from Nokia Maps? Uh... they should probably update both apps because it's no problem to search for an address/location in Maps, then click "Navigate" and have Nokia Drive take over. There are two ways: One, if you find a business on the map (via voice or typing it in) you click on the business, select "Navigate using app" in the screen that pops up, and Drive opens. If you type an address, you just click on "Get Directions" and you get the directions list like in WP7... but at the top of the directions list is, you guessed it, "Navigate" It might have said Navigate using Nokia Drive.. but either way, it took me straight to Drive.

Also, GPS picks up my position while indoors within 4 seconds. For those of you who find this important, or are coming from phones that did this horribly (me!) then there you go! It works great!

Last edited:

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Found out only the bottom left speaker actually makes sound. The right speaker is just there for symmetry. Still very loud sound though. Not really surprised cause the 820 only has one speaker. Same with the 710.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Although I don't have my 810 yet, I can speak about Nokia CityLens. I used it on a 920 while at the AT&T store on Monday and I was VERY impressed. Really looking forward to using that feature when I'm out on the go and in a place not completely familiar to me. :cool:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Found out only the bottom left speaker actually makes sound. The right speaker is just there for symmetry. Still very loud sound though. Not really surprised cause the 820 only has one speaker. Same with the 710.
You're right!! I had that in mind when I removed the back cover and noticed only that one speaker. I think the other side is for the microphone though... I saw a little dot in there that seems like it could be the mic (don't know where else it would be). So... maybe not entirely unfunctional :p

Left side is the mic grille, right side is the speaker grille.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How would you say the back of the phone looks and feels?

I personally wish Nokia provides a glossy back instead of the soft touch, matte coloured back. I think glossy would look good with the look of the front of the phone.

The back of this phone feels better than any case I have ever touched. It is matte but a satiny matte not a plasticy matte. It feels velvety to the touch. I feel like grabbing it just to rub my hands on it! It looks very professional. I am a business man and presenter so a black phone fits my lifestyle. I love the industrial design and clean lines. This phone feels so good in the hands and looks even better. It is more comfortable to hold than the 920 and looks better to me also. The display on this phone is absolutely brilliant. I mentioned last week in the general discussion forum my preference of the 820 display over the 920 and that was another factor in my purchase. This AMOLED display is so beautiful. I left AT&T for T-Mobile to buy this phone so that should tell you all something. Not looking back!

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia apps aren't all that important to me. I have Navigon, a Garmin GPS app with downloaded maps. Navigon has a mode that works like City Lense, full turn by turn, routing modes, etc. I do plan to try the Nokia navigation apps but they simply weren't a selling point for me. The biggest problem is that the Navigon US maps take up a lot of space. Navigon does allow you to select which state maps to download, but since I travel so much I hate to not have all 50. For now I have only downloaded those for the east coast because there's simply not enough room for them all. I will need to move all my photos to the SD card before I will be able to download the rest of the maps. Hoping that Navigon will eventually issue an update to allow the maps to be stored on my SD card.

The soft touch matte finish on the back of the phone is wonderful. Piano finishes are just finger print magnets and tend to be slightly slippery. Over all the phone has a clean, modern design.

I have so far loaded about 20GB of music onto my SD card. The audio quality is amazing. While I loved WP7 the audio quality on my HD7 was atrocious. I have been playing music on my 810 all morning, received a call and not once did I hear that GSM noise.

While the screen resolution is only 800x480, when I compared the screen to the 8X in the store I found I actually preferred the 810 over the 8X. The 810's display was vibrant while not looking over-saturated cartoon-ish (an issue with most OLED displays). Yes, the 8X displays more information given that it has a higher resolution, but I found the "display experience" to be superior on the 810.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The biggest problem is that the Navigon US maps take up a lot of space. Navigon does allow you to select which state maps to download, but since I travel so much I hate to not have all 50. For now I have only downloaded those for the east coast because there's simply not enough room for them all. I will need to move all my photos to the SD card before I will be able to download the rest of the maps. Hoping that Navigon will eventually issue an update to allow the maps to be stored on my SD card.
Curious... how much space do the US maps take up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb