Didn't get my 810 yesterday... sale starts Fri 11/16?

GMFD

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I went to a T-Mo retail store in Orlando to purchase an 810 and look at the 8x in person yesterday. As my 2 year contact is up, I was looking in to the current plan pricing (since it's been 2 years since I've made any changes). The sales person seemed to be pushing me towards the value plans. Of course the cynic in me was skeptical. I figure, if they want me to get that plan, then somehow they are making more money. Therefore, my cynical presumption is, if they are making more money, I am getting screwed out of more money. But that's probably a debate for a different thread.

Anyway, as I was about to check out, I overheard another sales person mention a sale starting on Friday. I asked my sales person about it and she confirmed.

I don't really know the exact details of the sale, but she explained that if I switch to the value plan, I will have to make a down payment on the phone (a new shiny 810) of $130. The sale is in the form of a rebate of the down payment, so essentially, I will get the $130 back at some point.

She didn't go in to great detail as to how it all works (i.e. when do you actually get the down payment refund/rebate). However, that wasn't of great concern to me at the moment as the opportunity to save $130 shut me up pretty quick. I figured I've waited 2 years to get a new phone, I can wait another 2 days.

We made an appointment for Friday (I guess they make appointments now?) to complete the transaction. I will get all of the details then. I was also concerned that they would be sold out of the 810's by then as she stated they only got a couple in, but she put my name on one to reserve for me until Friday. Hopefully, it all works out.

I'd be happy to post more details of the sale tomorrow if anyone's interested.

WinnerByRNC

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I went to a T-Mo retail store in Orlando to purchase an 810 and look at the 8x in person yesterday. As my 2 year contact is up, I was looking in to the current plan pricing (since it's been 2 years since I've made any changes). The sales person seemed to be pushing me towards the value plans. Of course the cynic in me was skeptical. I figure, if they want me to get that plan, then somehow they are making more money. Therefore, my cynical presumption is, if they are making more money, I am getting screwed out of more money. But that's probably a debate for a different thread.

Anyway, as I was about to check out, I overheard another sales person mention a sale starting on Friday. I asked my sales person about it and she confirmed.

I don't really know the exact details of the sale, but she explained that if I switch to the value plan, I will have to make a down payment on the phone (a new shiny 810) of $130. The sale is in the form of a rebate of the down payment, so essentially, I will get the $130 back at some point.

She didn't go in to great detail as to how it all works (i.e. when do you actually get the down payment refund/rebate). However, that wasn't of great concern to me at the moment as the opportunity to save $130 shut me up pretty quick. I figured I've waited 2 years to get a new phone, I can wait another 2 days.

We made an appointment for Friday (I guess they make appointments now?) to complete the transaction. I will get all of the details then. I was also concerned that they would be sold out of the 810's by then as she stated they only got a couple in, but she put my name on one to reserve for me until Friday. Hopefully, it all works out.

Same here. I went to T-Mobile to buy my phone (have not decided which one) yesterday and had the same conversation about moving me to some value plan. Obviously something is up with this as they seem to be pushing it! Have not figured out the angle yet either???

Anyways...since I couldn’t decide I told the sales lady I’m just going to wait to see more reviews. That's when she told me about some sale going on this weekend and yes made it sound like I could get most any phone for free (after rebate). Sad that I guess had I bought the phone, she would have never told me about the sale. I too am going back Friday!

More to come...

UPDATE: 11/19/2012

Well after spending 3 hrs at the store, 2 hrs on the phone, 2+ hrs online...i still don't have a phone. This weekends sale had thier system all tied up!!!

On a side notel...If you work for Chevron (or maybe you can pretend to work for Chevron) and either have not taken advantage of the corp. discount, want to add a line, or want to start a new service agreement with T-Mobile…you can get the HTC 8X for $74.99 or an 810 for $24.99.
Sale ends November the 29th.

http://pages.iloqal.com/chevron

If that link doesn't work try this one

http://chevrec.mybigcommerce.com/products/T%2dMobile.html

Last edited:

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I went to T-Mobile to buy my phone (have not decided which one) yesterday and had the same conversation about moving me to some value plan. Obviously something is up with this as they seem to be pushing it! Have not figured out the angle yet either???

Anyways...since I couldn?t decide I told the sales lady I?m just going to wait to see more reviews. That's when she told me about some sale going on this weekend and yes made it sound like I could get most any phone for free (after rebate). Sad that I guess had I bought the phone, she would have never told me about the sale. I too am going back Friday!

More to come...

I went Yesterday and was told that there is a sale starting tomorrow and will end Sat its that the S3 will be free after mail in rebate other than that no sale, or else Tmonews.com would of have it leaked by now.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Apparently, T-Mobile is attempting to do away with Classic plans and will be pushing people toward prepaid and Value plans in the future. This is according to something I read not long ago on TMoNews.com. Odd that you guys were being pushed toward signing up for a Value plan, because that wasn't the case for me when I went to a T-Mobile store yesterday. In my case, the customer service rep who was assisting me said I would have to sign up for a 5GB data plan (I have the 200MB one) because my grandfathered contract is very old (got it in April 2002). I didn't bite. Why would I want to pay $80 before taxes for 300 whenever minutes and 500 texts when I barely even use any of my data as it is??? I don't have "stupid" tattooed on my forehead. :dry Yeah, they're just trying to milk us for all we're worth. You're better off ordering the phone from T-Mobile's website or over the phone through retentions, from what I've been told.

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Had to add the supposed sale on Friday is for Samsung Android devices only. There has been no confirmation of any sale for windows phones.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Had to add the supposed sale on Friday is for Samsung Android devices only. There has been no confirmation of any sale for windows phones.
I was going to say the same thing. I talked to a T-Mobile rep on the phone yesterday and she told me, "I'll let you in on a little secret... there's this huge sale going on this weekend and the weekend after Thanksgiving..." and proceeded to mention a few android phones. I had to laugh, because I've seen no less than 4 commercials for this sale :D

The sales person seemed to be pushing me towards the value plans. Of course the cynic in me was skeptical. I figure, if they want me to get that plan, then somehow they are making more money. Therefore, my cynical presumption is, if they are making more money, I am getting screwed out of more money. But that's probably a debate for a different thread.

AFAIK, T-Mobile has been pushing everyone toward the value plans ever since they were created. They save a ton of money - you get locked in for 2 years and you pay full price for the phone (no subsidies)! From what I've seen researching differences (and I'm certainly no expert) it appears that the individual value plans match the individual classic plans once you factor in the monthly $20 cost of the phone. However, you are paying less up front for a value plan, and if you don't upgrade the very second that you pay off the phone, your bill drops $20/month until the next time you upgrade. If someone gifts you a phone or you get one cheap somewhere, you still pay that lesser monthly amount. Either way, by going to a value plan I don't think you are getting screwed out of money. You have to weigh the pros and the cons of both types of plans and your financial situation... it sounds like the cynic in you makes you great at not getting bamboozled!

I'd be interested if you find anything other than an Android sale... let us know what happens with your Lumia purchase :)

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything on T-Mo's web site about any sale. After rebate, I see we still pay $150. I am also looking for color options. Looks like black and blue charging covers are the available options. Except that both are "sold out."

WinnerByRNC

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Anyways...since I couldn’t decide I told the sales lady I’m just going to wait to see more reviews. That's when she told me about some sale going on this weekend and yes made it sound like I could get most any phone for free (after rebate). Sad that I guess had I bought the phone, she would have never told me about the sale. I too am going back Friday!

More to come...

Ok so i had a disatrous weekend spending way too much time with T-Mobile. Went to buy an 8X and an 810 and once again ended up empty handed. This after being at the store for 3 hrs, being on the phone for another 2, and trying to just buy it online. This weekends sale had all their computer systems locked up.

On a side note...If you work for Chevron (or maybe you can pretend to work for Chevron) and either have not taken advantage of the corp. discount, want to add a line, or want to start a new service agreement with T-Mobile…you can get the HTC 8X for $74.99or an 810 for $24.99. Sale ends the 29th of November. T-Mobile Offers - Chevron

Last edited: