T-mobile's wifi calling

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys thought id chim in on here. The tmobile Wifi calling.xap app that was released for the lumia 925, I installed it on my 810 via the proxy hack and it does work for my phone as far as routing calls via wifi. the app seeing how it wasn't built for the 810 seems to not indicate the wifi using display setting when you make a call but even if it doesn't it does work. the only thing that you have to do is turn on the app and keep it open, if you exit from the app the settings do not stick. I am in a basement most of the time and usually get 1 bar of 2g and call quality sucks, and ever since installing the app and keeping it open, voice quality is amazing, no longer do I have to say "what?" when I am talking to someone on the phone. lol

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When I first did the update on the 521 wifi calling was spotty. Your term didn't stick describes it. T mobile support fixed it by entering my 911 address. Is there some way to do this online. Maybe you could get the app to "stick".

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys thought id chim in on here. The tmobile Wifi calling.xap app that was released for the lumia 925, I installed it on my 810 via the proxy hack and it does work for my phone as far as routing calls via wifi. the app seeing how it wasn't built for the 810 seems to not indicate the wifi using display setting when you make a call but even if it doesn't it does work. the only thing that you have to do is turn on the app and keep it open, if you exit from the app the settings do not stick. I am in a basement most of the time and usually get 1 bar of 2g and call quality sucks, and ever since installing the app and keeping it open, voice quality is amazing, no longer do I have to say "what?" when I am talking to someone on the phone. lol

Thanks, disabling the proxy I was able to side load the wifi app I dl'ed a couple of days ago.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

I can't get the app to install with the proxy hack, or I'm doing it wrong I'd like to try it out. Can anyone send the xap so I can side load it?

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
the way I did it was I sent the xap link (from the msft store) to my phone via email, then I set up the proxy for wifi (turned off data connection) then opened the link from my email which took me to windows store on the phone with install button enable, then I hold back button to go back to wifi and edit connection to turn of proxy, then went back to the store and installed it.

Im not sure if I can post this here but mods can edit post and removes as the wish, still new to this forum.

Proxy: 117.135.139.179, port 8888

and this is the link to the store posted by Musicman247 http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...e2925-fdca-4ced-86c0-5cecc5498ad4?signin=true

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I followed how to instructions....after 5 tries....

It's installed but no matter what anyone says the 810 doesn't support it. If you're calling via Wi-Fi it will say on the bottom of dialer tile, and on the Wi-Fi tile it will indicate ready, when you're making the call Wi Fi Calling will be on the upper left hand corner of your screen. None of those Wi-Fi connected or calling indicators appear. If you're getting more bars -you're getting better reception not Wi-Fi. Cool app if it really worked.
I'm next to the Wi-Fi router turning Wi Fi calling ON or OFF the bars are the same, 2bars @ 4G and sound quality is the same. I live at the beach and a Naval Air Station and cell towers have to be a certain distance away and reception is really poor.
If I set it to Wi-Fi Only I "can't" sent text, yet I can, if I set it to Wi-Fi Only a Wi-Fi network must be present and within range to make calls, I turn off the router or go outside where I'm out of range I can still make calls in both cases.
This doesn't work with the 810, it doesn't support Wi-Fi calling even if you think that the Wi-Fi indicators won't show because it wasn't designed for the 810, fine that makes some sense, but if I can make calls or text with it set to Wi-Fi Only when the router is off or I'm out of range then it doesn't take a genius to figure out it that it doesn't work with the 810. FYI I keep the app open when I make a call and it's set at Wi-Fi Only and the router is off, I toggle back to the small screens and I can see the app and the call dialer on the same screen and it's dialing and it goes through and connects and it's Wi-Fi Only with the router off.

On May 20, a software update to Software version 1030.6409.1316.0016 was released for the Nokia Lumia 521. The software update, which will be available by Over The Air (OTA), will add Wi-Fi calling.

Unless you've had an update to enable the 810 to have Wi-Fi calling then all you have is a nice blue tile on your phone that does nothing.

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to first correct my statement on 1318 being in testing as it sounds like they are currently testing 1316 for the 810 - though 1318 may be in cycle too... That said, I was pushed the Wi-Fi calling App from Nokia to try out, but it will not function on the 810 until a firmware update is had. This is going to be a part of the update package whenever it is complete. Hopefully we are looking at sooner rather than later for those that need this one, but at this point, who knows?

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I followed how to instructions....after 5 tries....

It's installed but no matter what anyone says the 810 doesn't support it. If you're calling via Wi-Fi it will say on the bottom of dialer tile, and on the Wi-Fi tile it will indicate ready, when you're making the call Wi Fi Calling will be on the upper left hand corner of your screen. None of those Wi-Fi connected or calling indicators appear. If you're getting more bars -you're getting better reception not Wi-Fi. Cool app if it really worked.
I'm next to the Wi-Fi router turning Wi Fi calling ON or OFF the bars are the same, 2bars @ 4G and sound quality is the same. I live at the beach and a Naval Air Station and cell towers have to be a certain distance away and reception is really poor.
If I set it to Wi-Fi Only I "can't" sent text, yet I can, if I set it to Wi-Fi Only a Wi-Fi network must be present and within range to make calls, I turn off the router or go outside where I'm out of range I can still make calls in both cases.
This doesn't work with the 810, it doesn't support Wi-Fi calling even if you think that the Wi-Fi indicators won't show because it wasn't designed for the 810, fine that makes some sense, but if I can make calls or text with it set to Wi-Fi Only when the router is off or I'm out of range then it doesn't take a genius to figure out it that it doesn't work with the 810. FYI I keep the app open when I make a call and it's set at Wi-Fi Only and the router is off, I toggle back to the small screens and I can see the app and the call dialer on the same screen and it's dialing and it goes through and connects and it's Wi-Fi Only with the router off.

On May 20, a software update to Software version 1030.6409.1316.0016 was released for the Nokia Lumia 521. The software update, which will be available by Over The Air (OTA), will add Wi-Fi calling.

Unless you've had an update to enable the 810 to have Wi-Fi calling then all you have is a nice blue tile on your phone that does nothing.

Thanks a lot for testing. I know that in order to get WiFi calling to work, you have to have tmobile add the feature to your plan. Did you happen to try to get tmobile to add the feature to your plan? I know its wishful thinking, but I want to get a rogers 920 and use the WiFi calling xap. Probably not gonna work, but I decided the 925 was too expensive for me. Lets see what happens. Any further responses would be greatly appreciated.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for testing. I know that in order to get WiFi calling to work, you have to have tmobile add the feature to your plan. Did you happen to try to get tmobile to add the feature to your plan? I know its wishful thinking, but I want to get a rogers 920 and use the WiFi calling xap. Probably not gonna work, but I decided the 925 was too expensive for me. Lets see what happens. Any further responses would be greatly appreciated.

It's not about ADDING IT TO THE PLAN,:wink: read my note about a software update like they -Nokia (via T Mobile) did for the 521.
The 810 is not enabled, full stop. Nokia has to create a software patch to enable it.
T Mobile could "add" Live TV or a Legs for the phone PLAN so you wouldn't have to get up and to get it but if there is no mechanism for it to walk
( a newer brain) then it ain't gonna walk.
No plan will make it a Wi-Fi enabled phone without a software update like the 521 had.

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it doesn't! :smile: WFC is totally phone dependent. It has nothing to do with TM providing the service. If you have a TM account and a TM phone with WFC, a wifi connection, and WFC is turned on, you are good to go. And just in case there's a new twist I went on line and looked under Available Services for both my 810 and Nokia C7, both with WFC. Nada.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it doesn't! :smile: WFC is totally phone dependent. It has nothing to do with TM providing the service. If you have a TM account and a TM phone with WFC, a wifi connection, and WFC is turned on, you are good to go. And just in case there's a new twist I went on line and looked under Available Services for both my 810 and Nokia C7, both with WFC Nada.

The 810 is not a Wi-Fi phone anyway and those who downloaded the "app" and think they now have a WiFi calling phone -are drunk.
Who says the the 810 is with WFC ? it has WiFi not WFC

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Gee Zoo, dude. Read what I said. No claim about an app.
I didn't say you did, I said "those who downloaded an app" you didn't say you did so I wasn't referring to you,
but you wrote "Services for both my 810 and Nokia C7, both with WFC Nada.

I don't know about the C7 but the 810 is (not) with WFC
The 810 has not to date had an update like the 521 did soon after it was released.

"On May 20, a software update to Software version 1030.6409.1316.0016 was released for the Nokia Lumia 521. The software update, which will be available by Over The Air (OTA), will add Wi-Fi calling."

If you didn't say both with WFC meaning that also the 810 is enable then I apologize for misinterpreting that. :smile:

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, the Wi-Fi Calling app certainly didn't work on my unlocked Rogers 920. I installed it a few weeks back and finally gave it a try nearly two weeks ago when I was at a bowling alley where I get no service but do get Wi-Fi access. Tried calling a friend more than once and didn't even get ringing on my phone. Oh well. I ended up uninstalling the app.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
There is no such thing as a wifi calling app. Repeat after me...........

"Wifi Calling" is TM's marketing name for Unlicensed Mobile Access, aka, UMA. While it appears to be VoiP, or SIP, it is not.

The only way a phone has UMA is via the hardware or the OS's firmware. Examples of ones without are the Nokia 6085 and Nokia E72. The ones with WFC are the 6086 and the E73. Some call this "real UMA." If you start a call with "real" WFC, and you move from the wifi router, it will automatically switch to the cellular servfice.

A company called Kineto developed SW WFC and it got implemented in the Android OS kernel around version 2.3 or so. Some call this UMA Lite. Any WFC that is enabled by a software update, such as we hope the Amber update will be, is "Lite." UNLESS, Nokia built it into the phone's hardware during development but didn't write the code for it initially. How can we tell? Try the test above for "real."

The only three carriers in America using UMA are T-Mobile, Cincinatti Bell, and Republic Wireless. The latter has essentially hacked the CDMA system and it uses Sprint as its carrier............for $20/mo, unlimited everything.

So, whatever app you had installed, it wasn't WFC.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Wi-Fi Calling app certainly didn't work on my unlocked Rogers 920. I installed it a few weeks back and finally gave it a try nearly two weeks ago when I was at a bowling alley where I get no service but do get Wi-Fi access. Tried calling a friend more than once and didn't even get ringing on my phone. Oh well. I ended up uninstalling the app.

I'm trying to figure out what phone other than the Lumia 521 and the HTC 8X did T Mobile create this for, looking at the reviews on Widows Phone I guess no other.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out what phone other than the Lumia 521 and the HTC 8X did T Mobile create this for, looking at the reviews on Widows Phone I guess no other.
look at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps they have developed and you will know your answer :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium