64GB microSDXC confirmed

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
You're right about the playback issues. Mine wasn't smooth at all. Although it didn't crash the SD card. I've had before taking photos too fast and had to reset card. Going to return it for a 32gb card. 64 GB might be pushing it.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm the SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Memory Card Ultra Class SDSDQUI-064G-A11. Works great. Video and all.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
So it works for some people, but not for all.... Could it be a problem with the phone? For example, the need for a firmware update? I'm planning to buy an 810 soon (my first WP8), but the ability to use a 64Gb SD Card is paramount to me! The phone would be quasi-useless if it coudn't read my music off a 64Gb SD Card.

Maybe I should go with the Lumia 510 just in case...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Class 4 for that camera is perfectly fine, you need a class 10 for shooting with high MP cameras and sequential shooting (fps) @ maximum speed.

With my Olympus Pen 16.1 MP and single shots I hardly notice a difference between a 4 and a 10 and with the 8 MP you're not shooting at 5 or 10 fps.

The closest to sequential shooting is with Smart Shoot and that's about 1 frame per second and I tried a class 10 and it was still 1 frame per second.

First picture with a class 4 there is lag time but with a class 10 there is still lag time with the first picture, if it's faster it's still slow.

=myth

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So it works for some people, but not for all.... Could it be a problem with the phone? For example, the need for a firmware update? I'm planning to buy an 810 soon (my first WP8), but the ability to use a 64Gb SD Card is paramount to me! The phone would be quasi-useless if it coudn't read my music off a 64Gb SD Card.

Maybe I should go with the Lumia 510 just in case...

Go with the 510.

810 is a crapshoot with an SD card. I've tried 3.

Music for mine is a total disaster. I carry an iPod around. I've tried every solution, every possible thing. For some of us, it just doesn't work.

You could always get the phone, try a card and if it doesn't work, send it back.

But, my recommendation is not to get an 810 if you plan to use an SD card for music.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Go with the 510.

810 is a crapshoot with an SD card. I've tried 3.

Music for mine is a total disaster. I carry an iPod around. I've tried every solution, every possible thing. For some of us, it just doesn't work.

You could always get the phone, try a card and if it doesn't work, send it back.

But, my recommendation is not to get an 810 if you plan to use an SD card for music.

I've been using a Transcend 32GB class 4 SD and have had no issues transferring files once I figured out how best not to get duplicates,
I just drag and drop a music mix or an album or individual songs from my pc music folder to my music folder on the SD card
or I sync with Windows Media Player from a list after I choose where I want them - the SD card.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been thru 3 SD cards.

Regarding your 3 cards, do you remember their brands and models? The Sandisk card with SKU SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A sold on Amazon seems to work reliably, according to half a dozen reviewers. Here's the link to their testimony: http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=lumia+810&search-alias=community-reviews&idx_asin=B009QZH6JS

By the way, did you upgrade your firmware to SW 1532.5951.1250.1004? Nokia improved microSD support with this firmware and people on this thread have corroborated that.

I'm feeling a bit more confident about 64Gb microSD support on the 810 now.... :eek:rly:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I know for a fact, that Kingston 64 GB microSD cards work fine on the 810. Just remember that UHS1 (and eventually UHS2) are the fastest ratings, which from what I can deduce is what WP relies on (UHS rattings). Which can be weird, since I have and seen microSD cards rated at USH1/Class 6 which work perfectly with my L810. But have had issues with cards that are rated Class10.

As for duplicates songs in the music app. The issue is a conflict of the meta data (ID3 Tags) in you music. IF, the meta data doesn't match the meta data on MS servers, you will end up with a mess. How I fixed it, was to take all the music back to a PC, then launch good old MediaPlayer and had it rescan/update all the meta data for my music, matching it with Microsoft's data. Then copying it back to the phone. Since then, everything has been "fat, dumb, and happy". :wink:

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
As for duplicates songs in the music app. The issue is a conflict of the meta data (ID3 Tags) in you music. IF, the meta data doesn't match the meta data on MS servers, you will end up with a mess.

So that will never happen if you keep your songs in the device only (no cloud), right? I ask that because I like to write the tags myself and have never used automated tagging. I don't want to use Microsoft's ID3 data!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
S, So that will never happen if you keep your songs in the device only (no cloud), right? I ask that because I like to write the tags myself and have never used automated tagging. I don't want to use Microsoft's ID3 data!
I'm not sure if keeping it in the cloud will make a difference.

I too liked to do my own thing with my ID3 tags. I preferred to take a 2 disk set and renumber it as just one big album, also genres, I don't always agree with the pre-defined ones. But alas, once I decided to let MediaPlayer to go through all my music and update my music to match what MS has, everything has been fine. The only thing I do after MediaPlayer gets done, is I embed the album art into the MP3's.

Also, one more thing. If you reset your phone back to factory, take OUT your SD card with your music on it. Only after the reset is done, put the SD card back in. Start the Media app, then leave it alone for awhile (start button out, don't use the back button). This allows the app to catalogue your music. The length of time needed is dependent on how much stuff you have.

One more thing. If you have playlists on your PC, that you want to put on your WP... This just sucks. What I have found is to delete the songs off your WP that are in your playlist. Then use the WP Desktop App to put the playlist, and songs, onto your phone. If your don't delete the songs off your phone first, you WILL end up with duplicates or a mess.

For me, I have just a few playlists, with a minimal number of MP3's in them. Otherwise I just do a "deep shuffle" on all my songs from the start of the app.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I too liked to do my own thing with my ID3 tags. [...]

[...] Also, one more thing. If you reset your phone back to factory, take OUT your SD card with your music on it.

[...] One more thing. If you have playlists on your PC, that you want to put on your WP... This just sucks.

In other words, WP8 sucks and blows as an MP3 Player? Is that a problem with the platform or just the built-in Music app? Is there any good MP3 Player app at the store that lets the user control his music collection? Something like Winamp?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmm... yea. WP really blows great big donkey d@#!$ a media player. Shame too, Zune really was good, but for some stupid reason they scraped it. I suspect for some internal politics.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmmm... yea. WP really blows great big donkey d@#!$ a media player.

There must be a setting somewhere that prevents the ID3 information Microsoft has from being used. If not, maybe a setting to stop the device from trying to contact Microsoft's database. My main use for my future 810 will be listening to music and web surfing.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Regarding your 3 cards, do you remember their brands and models? The Sandisk card with SKU SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A sold on Amazon seems to work reliably, according to half a dozen reviewers. Here's the link to their testimony: http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2056791

By the way, did you upgrade your firmware to SW 1532.5951.1250.1004? Nokia improved microSD support with this firmware and people on this thread have corroborated that.

I'm feeling a bit more confident about 64Gb microSD support on the 810 now.... :eek:rly:

yes to all of the above. Does not work.

As has been explained by a few of us in several music forums - there is no fix for some of us. It's a broken phone.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
yes to all of the above. Does not work.

Sorry to hear that. It must suck to see other devices doing the job right. Did you try resetting the device? Or formatting the card both in the phone and a card reader? Perhaps formatting on Windows and Linux? Or different filesystems? I'm just throwing ideas. I'd get very upset if my card didn't work. At the end, I might still go with the 521, which is much cheaper.

Regarding the duplicate music tracks and general usage of the device as an MP3 player, I found this great thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s/222709-windows-phone-music-tips-tricks.html. Like I guessed, it's possible to disable the syncing of ID3 tags by changing a setting on Xbox Music app. Here's what it says:

The first thing to try is: Open Xbox Music>Swipe the 3 dots at the bottom right of the screen upward>settings>Connect with Xbox Music>OFF. This will stop Xbox Music from trying to sync your music collection with the cloud, which it does by default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo