My thoughts on 810 so far...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I finally got my Lumia 810 delivered last night. I was so aggravated because it didn't show up until around 7:30, and meanwhile, it was laying around in a neighborhood a hop, skip and jump from me since Friday night. I played with this phone a LOT last night to the point that I went to bed way later than I usually turn in and was so excited about it that it took me a long time to fall asleep. LMAO, I know, I'm a geek! :p

First of all, the phone is really attractive. I know it's not Lumia 920 gorgeous, but it's still a beautiful phone regardless. Don't understand why so many tech reviewers *coughJessicaDolcourtcough* have been calling it "ugly." I was surprised at how light it is. My iPhone 4 is heavier in its slim rubbery case.

Adding my contacts was a bit time consuming because I ended up having to add them manually. I tried Bluetooth between my iPhone 4 and 810 but the iPhone gave me a message saying it didn't recognize Windows Phone. :-/ Go figure... I noticed when adding contacts I'm also Facebook friends with that their numbers/email just added right into their FB profiles in the People Hub. VERY cool! Oh, and speaking of the People Hub, I absolutely LOVE that feature! :D

I spent a little time downloading apps, of course. All of them free, so far. One thing that sucks is that textPlus, which I've used on my iPhone for about a month and a half to conserve my texts (I only have 500 per month and can easily go over), doesn't work on WP8. :( Looking for an alternative, but so far, the two I tried can't send texts to people unless they also have the app (which is why I love textPlus so much - no one I've texted from it has the app). Hmm... I need a good reminders type app now - anyone know of one?

I spent at least two hours or longer adding music to my microSD card. I forgot a few albums, so I'm literally adding more as we speak. I have 58 when this last one is done. Great thing is that I still have 25GB free on my card! Whoo hoo! :happy:

Everything is so simple on this phone. Well, I'm good with tech gadgets as it is, but with some phones I've had, it took me a few hours to figure everything out. With the 810, it's a snap and instantaneous! I love that!

One thing that surprised me was when I realized SkyDrive wasn't already installed on my phone. I downloaded it as soon as I realized, but that was actually a few hours into having it. :blush: Funny thing is that I have two SkyDrive accounts, though, because I also got the app for my iPhone awhile back. I guess I couldn't access that one via the 810, but all I have up there are two Megadeth albums. lol

Haven't played with the camera yet, but I plan on doing that later today. We should have a thread for 810 photos up here. :p

Oh, and if I didn't already say it, I LOVE THIS PHONE!!! :D

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice to hear you love the phone! I feel the same way too! Coming from Dell Venue Pro, it is really a nice upgrade although I miss the physical keyboard. I'm afraid to send in my $50 dollar rebate to mobile coz I don't want them to change my grandfathered data plan. I ordered/upgraded online.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree totally with you about the $50 rebate! I noticed immediately on the forum that whole thing about needing X amount of data for this phone. Actually, I think I might have gotten the after $50 rebate price for the phone as it is. From what I gather, I should have paid $200 (plus the usual additional fees), but I was only charged $150. Hmm... I think if we had bought our phones at the T-Mobile stores, it would have been that way. Guess I'm not sending in my rebate form. :p

Did you get a new micro SIM, too? I was so thrown off when I noticed it in my packet. I didn't use it, though; instead, I'm using my makeshift micro SIM, aka my normal mini SIM that I cut down with a SIM cutter and scissors to use in my iPhone 4. :p

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I got the new micro sim and I activated it for the Lumia 810 :) I guess I'm going to hold off in sending the rebate. I paid the same price that you paid. I was expecting to pay $149 since I'm on the classic plan. Lucky me, I guess.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I need a good reminders type app now - anyone know of one?

The built in Calendar has reminders built into it - you can simply add an appointment or deadline, and also add a reminder that pops up on the phone - I use it all the time and love it!

Glad to hear you are loving the 810. I too am completely befuddled by reports that it is ugly or unattractive. In fact, I think it looks extremely professional, is lightweight, etc. I was planning on jumping from TMo to AT&T, but after actually seeing the 810 and 8x in person, I liked both better than the 920. To each his own I suppose.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
For texting your friends, if they get WhatsApp and you get it, it uses data not SMS. It's available for Windows Phone, Android, iOS and BlackBerry. I use it to keep in touch with friends who use different platforms.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The built in Calendar has reminders built into it - you can simply add an appointment or deadline, and also add a reminder that pops up on the phone - I use it all the time and love it!

Glad to hear you are loving the 810. I too am completely befuddled by reports that it is ugly or unattractive. In fact, I think it looks extremely professional, is lightweight, etc. I was planning on jumping from TMo to AT&T, but after actually seeing the 810 and 8x in person, I liked both better than the 920. To each his own I suppose.

I am a little baffled by the Calendar app, which I know sounds silly. It's very similar to the calendar of my old Nokia E73 Mode. For the life of me, I was never able to figure out that one feature, or at last setting up reminder alarms on it. :blush: I know how to add the note but am uncertain about the alarm part. What I normally would do is have a note for something that's scheduled for a certain time and then have the reminder alert me say, two hours beforehand. Is there a way to do that? Also, how would I do it? I'm a spazz about this particular feature. :p

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
For texting your friends, if they get WhatsApp and you get it, it uses data not SMS. It's available for Windows Phone, Android, iOS and BlackBerry. I use it to keep in touch with friends who use different platforms.

Thanks, Laura! My only issue with that app as well as Viber and kik (the two that I tried already) is that the recipient also needs the app for me to send them messages. I installed Messenger by ashterisk earlier because some of my friends have used Yahoo messenger with me (I have it on my iPhone). Also just started texting with another friend who doesn't have a smartphone via Skype. Hmm... I have to figure this thing out. Really wish I still had 800 texts like I did two years ago. :-/

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Metalchick719, did you try heywire? It gives u a US number and let u SMS in the US and 45 other countries without the need of installing the app from the other party.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 810 yesterday as well, I had to actually go to UPS to pick it up since no one was home when they came around. The screen is amazing liking the newly updated O.S, I am coming from HD7.

I got this phone for 149.99 through loyalty dept plus I get a 50 dollar mail in rebate also I am on a grandfathered plan. So you guys might want to talk to loyalty dept about keeping your grandfathered plan and getting your 50 dollar rebate.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am a little baffled by the Calendar app, which I know sounds silly. It's very similar to the calendar of my old Nokia E73 Mode. For the life of me, I was never able to figure out that one feature, or at last setting up reminder alarms on it. :blush: I know how to add the note but am uncertain about the alarm part. What I normally would do is have a note for something that's scheduled for a certain time and then have the reminder alert me say, two hours beforehand. Is there a way to do that? Also, how would I do it? I'm a spazz about this particular feature. :p

Yes.
1) open the calendar
2) hit the + button at the bottom
3) add a new appointment - you can make the appointment for a certain time, or hit "how long" and tap "all day" for something you just need to do that day
4) after selecting the time, tap the "more details" button at the bottom
5) you can now set a reminder - 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 day, etc. It doesn't have all options, but I find it more than sufficient.

Any questions, let me know.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the impressions. I saw the 810 at the T-Mobile store and it felt great in the hand.

Google Voice is also great to send free sms. The MetroTalk app works great to use it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes.
1) open the calendar
2) hit the + button at the bottom
3) add a new appointment - you can make the appointment for a certain time, or hit "how long" and tap "all day" for something you just need to do that day
4) after selecting the time, tap the "more details" button at the bottom
5) you can now set a reminder - 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 day, etc. It doesn't have all options, but I find it more than sufficient.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks again! Looks like I might have actually done it right when I set up a reminder last night. :)

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
woot woot metalchick!

glad you're loving the phone - i was going to mention the built-in calendar is awesome...i absolutely love it and that's saying a lot for a blackberry guy! so textplus is in the marketplace but it just doesn't work? i haven't installed it but that's because i have no need...but used to use it "back in the day"

i'm really glad there are so many people impressed with the 810...for all the negativity it got, i think it's really proving people wrong. a solid device, very well rounded. now we get to wear them out! :D

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows Phone Mobile! I have the original Samsung Focus from launch which is 8gb and added a 32gb micro sd card. I love my phone and am getting the Nokia Lumia 810 soon as well. I am glad you made the change and I too was a former iPhone user (4 & 4s). Social integration is way better on WP among other things. Don't forget about Nokia Music. I'd recommend MetroRadio Pro if you're into Pandora, that is a 3rd party unofficial app and worth the price for no ads. Baconit is an app I recommend for Reddit, it's free. Hey DJ! is a good music app too.

These are some other apps I recommend:

iHeartRadio *free* radio stations
Keep Alive *free* keeps wifi signal alive
Last.Fm *free* radio stations
Marketplace Deals *free* let's you know of price drops and recent apps gone free
MetroTube Youtube video player
My Notes similar to that of the iPhone 4's built in app, saves Notes
Myxer *free* ringtones for your phone
Photo Lock requires password for users to see photos you have moved there for privacy
Radio Controlled *free* Pandora app from 3rd party with ads
Reinstaller *free* will reinstall your apps for you
ShopSavvy *free* price comparisons and such
SoundHound Music identifier similar to shazam
Stop the music! will stop any music playing from showing up on the top of the screen without having to restart phone
Yellowpages *free*
WPCentral

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's something funny, I was at lunch and had my 810 on the table. A friend stopped and looked at me and the phone and said "You got an iPhone5? I thought you hated Apple?" I just looked at them and said, "Naaa... I got something better." and hit the wake/power button and handed it to them. First thing they said was "WOW! That's a cool lock screen." (set to Bing) It took them a bit to figure out how to unlock, then they freaked out. "Holy s*&t, what is this?" and they started hitting tiles and exploring. I kept saying "It's a Windows phone" but they kept interrupting with "Whoaa... that's neat."

They completely lost it with the "Nokia City Lens". They kept asking how they can get it on their Android phone. Hehehehe.

As for the Camera. Hate to say it, but the "Auto" settings are weak. I get better images when I go in and set the ISO, and shutter manually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs