task manager

stephen53

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
just got my nokia 810 today. its a pretty good phone. however there are applications running in the background that i can not end.

is there a "task manager" or some sort of app i can download that is similar that will allow me to manage apps running in the back ground?

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
as far as i know there is not an app manager. if you hit the back button until you our of the app. It essentially closes it. Leaving the back button pressed will show you what apps you have open. At least that is how I understand it.

stephen53

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
as far as i know there is not an app manager. if you hit the back button until you our of the app. It essentially closes it. Leaving the back button pressed will show you what apps you have open. At least that is how I understand it.

that doesnt seem to be the case. i downloaded some music under the "amazing music" app. for some reason i can not kill the song playing. its been paused for ever with no option to stop it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
that doesnt seem to be the case. i downloaded some music under the "amazing music" app. for some reason i can not kill the song playing. its been paused for ever with no option to stop it.
Interesting. Microsoft seems to have fixed this problem for their native music app, but I guess 3rd party apps still have the issue. Download the app "Stop The Music" and that should do it for ya.

If you haven't already, you can also go into settings, swipe right, click on "background tasks" and end stuff.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. It's a weird thing. It used to be that way with all music but has been changed for the native music player in WP8. But, no need to worry. It's not actually doing anything. Once you get out of an app, most of the time, it's no longer running. There have been instances in which people report Nokia Drive actually stays on. But, most other apps suspend themselves.

Now, you do have background tasks which allow an app to turn on periodically to do certain things like update a live tile, or push information to the phone. As Mystictrust said, you can turn these off by going into Settings and swiping over to Applications, selecting Background Tasks and turning them off as you see fit.

stephen53

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. It's a weird thing. It used to be that way with all music but has been changed for the native music player in WP8. But, no need to worry. It's not actually doing anything. Once you get out of an app, most of the time, it's no longer running. There have been instances in which people report Nokia Drive actually stays on. But, most other apps suspend themselves.

Now, you do have background tasks which allow an app to turn on periodically to do certain things like update a live tile, or push information to the phone. As Mystictrust said, you can turn these off by going into Settings and swiping over to Applications, selecting Background Tasks and turning them off as you see fit.

thanks for the responses all. i have swiped over and i see what you are saying. the application is not showing in the back ground, however when i click on the application, the same song has been paused the whole time.

maybe im just over reacting, but i like the idea of seeing every app playing in the back ground and ending them when i want.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just ran into this same issue this morning. I don't like the idea of the song just 'suspended' indefinitely either. So if I use to native microsoft app (xbox music) this will solve it?

Yaly Kloepper

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hold the Back Button till your home screen becomes multi-screened and from there you should be able to effectively close any programs that you might have opened. It's like the Android version of the App Kill.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

There are plenty of stop the music apps within apps that have tools. "Quick Settings" app is one you can get from the store

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes