Qi Wireless Charging "Slim" Mod for Lumia 810

enjoyfebruary

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So I got the OEM Nokia Qi charging back for my Lumia 810 yesterday and I just wasn't happy with the added 2mm or so. Call me OCD I know. So this morning I proceeded to move the Qi coil into the slimmer back that comes with the 810. It was super easy and just took about 15 minutes of patience and a small flat head screw driver. The breakdown process is fairly straightforward so I won't go into details. You can see from the pictures what parts came out of the back. On the standard back I removed the little spongy pad. Also there is a little black piece of plastic on the back side of the 4 pin connector. You'll need to pull that little plastic piece off to get the case to be flush with the frame around the screen. **The only thing i've noticed is that its range of movement on the charging pad has gone down. I assume this is due to the removal of the silverish pad on top of the coil which probably helps in that regard**. It could just be combination of that and the smallish size of the Nokia Qi charging pad. Other than that, charging works great and no extra thickness.

**EDIT - I had to reapply that silver pad to the coil as I was noticing the charger was quickly disconnecting and then reconnecting if the phone was not completely centered on the pad. Now it works perfectly anywhere on the pad.

WP_20130305_004.jpg
Thanks for reading!
Dan

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Without the proper insulation and thicker plastic, won't a mod like this melt the soft coat off the back of the cover like this?

WP_20130305_001.jpg

enjoyfebruary

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Without the proper insulation and thicker plastic, won't a mod like this melt the soft coat off the back of the cover like this?

View attachment 30185

I've been using the modified back solid for two days now and I can say at this point that I haven't felt the back get any hotter than if I had the phone in my pocket. Obviously there is some heat generated with the Qi system that is inherit to the technology but definitely not anywhere near as hot as it would have to be to melt the plastic. Not even close. Also, without any specific measurements the Qi Back and Standard back feel to be the same thickness in terms of the plastic they used. Confusingly they added some additional frame parts into the Qi Back which makes the back thicker. I'm not an engineer so there may be some specific details that I'm missing but it charges fine and in my experience does not get to any sort of high heat. So thats good enough for me.

Dan

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow... I'm impressed that you were able to do this. I wouldn't even attempt it because I'd probably ruin both covers and the charging mechanism. I have the cyan charging cover, so I know what you mean about the extra depth. I've been using it sporadically and find myself preferring the black slimmer cover the phone came with just because it makes it thinner and lighter.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, has anyone else tried this yet? enjoyfebruary, How's it holding up? If only we had a blue slim cover to try it with too...

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, what bothered me most about the wireless shell is that it left a little gap between the camera and the shell. Now it's flush again like with the original shell.

Mandroid#AC

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Also interested in doing this, we'll see how it goes. I have the cyan charging shell, but really want white so might paint my original slim black shell and transfer the qi over to it. Will post pics as soon as I get around to doing it lol.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Cool !
How did you attach the pad it's just look likes it's laying there ?
Also wondering if the pad from a 820 charging back would fit and work,
they use the same battery and you can get the 820 charging back for $25.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The pad just sticks with the original adhesive. I'm sure the 820 pad should work as well. Let us know if it works out for you.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Question, if you guys can do this and it works fine why the F is the charging back bought from nokia so f,ing heavy & big ???

ps sorry dont know why i needed to swear so much in this post :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Question, if you guys can do this and it works fine why the F is the charging back bought from nokia so f,ing heavy & big ???

ps sorry dont know why i needed to swear so much in this post :)
As I said before, using the QI wireless charging generates heat. Nokia put a foam insulating pad between the QI coil and the battery to protect the battery from the heat. Doing so, they had to make the shell a bit thicker and heavier.

Heat and LiPo batteries don't go together very well. When the battery gets hot, it's life expectancy goes down. The one saving grace is the battery is replaceable on this phone.

Mandroid#AC

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think I damaged my Qi, light on the charger comes on but doesn't charge my device, tried different placements thinking I wasn't getting good contact but still nothing....advice?

Edit: Nevermind, put the Qi upside down on the battery to make sure it was making contact with the pins and put the cover on over it lol, all good!

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think I damaged my Qi, light on the charger comes on but doesn't charge my device, tried different placements thinking I wasn't getting good contact but still nothing....advice?

Edit: Nevermind, put the Qi upside down on the battery to make sure it was making contact with the pins and put the cover on over it lol, all good!

Thank God I can finally get some sleep !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss