Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I just have to wait for Nokia to release the patch. I was planning on passing on the 810 to my dad who is currently using the Samsung Focus and Lumia 900 but I guess he will get my 8X

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That would be nice. I'm at a point where as much as I like my 810, I may get a Catwalk. But, I will settle for a 8X to use back and forth in the interim. At least for now we know the 8X is still alive...

Unfortunately with T-Mobile I know nothing. Without messing with the phone or installing Storage Check or something similar the 810 ends up being crammed fairly quickly for a lot of people. Given the 8x firmware hasn't been updated since January and HTC may not be the healthiest company, I am unsure at to if the 8x is alive or another zombie. If you've head news about the 8x then I would be interested in hearing the news. Catwalk sounds interesting for me and I will pay attention when it is released. However given it appears to be a T-Mobile exclusive I am certainly torn about that. One would think that T-Mobile would sell it for longer and support it better than the 810 as it would be the flagship Windows Phone on T-Mobile (for now), I cannot say that I am thrilled with T-Mobile and will be either considering the Catwalk or an unlocked non-exclusive phone like the 920.

Any day now though I will be at forty days since moving from T-Mobile prepaid to their new plans and I will request an unlock for my HTC HD7. Then I shove back the 810 and raise my finger to T-Mobile. Sorry for the bitterness, but I think you all understand......

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately with T-Mobile I know nothing. Without messing with the phone or installing Storage Check or something similar the 810 ends up being crammed fairly quickly for a lot of people. Given the 8x firmware hasn't been updated since January and HTC may not be the healthiest company, I am unsure at to if the 8x is alive or another zombie. If you've head news about the 8x then I would be interested in hearing the news. Catwalk sounds interesting for me and I will pay attention when it is released. However given it appears to be a T-Mobile exclusive I am certainly torn about that. One would think that T-Mobile would sell it for longer and support it better than the 810 as it would be the flagship Windows Phone on T-Mobile (for now), I cannot say that I am thrilled with T-Mobile and will be either considering the Catwalk or an unlocked non-exclusive phone like the 920.

Any day now though I will be at forty days since moving from T-Mobile prepaid to their new plans and I will request an unlock for my HTC HD7. Then I shove back the 810 and raise my finger to T-Mobile. Sorry for the bitterness, but I think you all understand......

Well, it's the AT&T version, so at least with WP8, that's not as bad as a lemon. For $130, used, it is a steal as a spare phone. I think what I will do is go along with my 810 for a while and maybe skip the Catwalk entirely. If the new 2013 flagship Lumia is a true upgrade, I will sell both phones and buy that sucker unlocked.

Your bitterness is understood. I'm only with T-Mobile as it gives good coverage where I'm at and the prices fit my budget.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
There is a suggestion for this as well:
Nokia should enable downloading firmwares through Navifirm again!

Not sure how much it is worth there, but Nokia must listen to Microsoft's suggestions

I don't know exactly what happens with the firmware. Does T-Mobile request firmware from Nokia? Does T-Mobile help with development costs with new firmware? Or is it simply that Nokia does some sort of internal calculus and decides yes we will continue to develop firmware for this phone or not? One would hope that with a phone that was just released six months ago, they would continue to support firmware updates given there is a clear demand for such and that WP consumers expect to receive OS updates.

What is infuriating and a foolish mistake is that neither Nokia nor T-Mobile will simply state yes or no that firmware updates are expected. Even if the answer is no, is not like we will not find out and we won't be irritated at being strung along. Just saying "we will support the phone" sounds like an evasion without any details.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I have been able to gather, it's a two way system for developing firmware. Either Nokia or the carrier can initiate a bug fix. Example:

A carrier could find a bug, submit a bug report to Nokia. Nokia would work on fixing the bug. When finished, Nokia submits the firmware to the carrier for testing/verification. If it passes, the carrier would push it out the devices.

If Nokia finds a bug, they work on fixing it, when finished, they submit it to the carrier(s) for testing/verification. Again if it passes, the carrier pushes it out to the devices.

No matter how you slice it, the carrier is the final gate for firmware updates.

Now, if you have a factory unbranded, unlocked device, you have to wait till all the carriers that use that device give a thumbs up, then you get the firmware from the manufacturer (meaning you are usually last to get the update).

At least that is what I've been able to determine. If someone else knows otherwise, speak up.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
From what I have been able to gather, it's a two way system for developing firmware. Either Nokia or the carrier can initiate a bug fix. Example:

A carrier could find a bug, submit a bug report to Nokia. Nokia would work on fixing the bug. When finished, Nokia submits the firmware to the carrier for testing/verification. If it passes, the carrier would push it out the devices.

If Nokia finds a bug, they work on fixing it, when finished, they submit it to the carrier(s) for testing/verification. Again if it passes, the carrier pushes it out to the devices.

No matter how you slice it, the carrier is the final gate for firmware updates.

Now, if you have a factory unbranded, unlocked device, you have to wait till all the carriers that use that device give a thumbs up, then you get the firmware from the manufacturer (meaning you are usually last to get the update).

At least that is what I've been able to determine. If someone else knows otherwise, speak up.

Hi Guzzler,

The first part about the two way street makes sense, and I do agree that the carrier is the gatekeeper. However I did not know that unlocked devices have to wait till all the carriers that use that device give the release a thumbs up. That sounds hideous, maybe even worse that having a carrier exclusive. For me that sounds like multiple carriers could have veto power instead of just one. Is that really the case? You're frightening me!!! :smile:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guzzler,

The first part about the two way street makes sense, and I do agree that the carrier is the gatekeeper. However I did not know that unlocked devices have to wait till all the carriers that use that device give the release a thumbs up. That sounds hideous, maybe even worse that having a carrier exclusive. For me that sounds like multiple carriers could have veto power instead of just one. Is that really the case? You're frightening me!!! :smile:
Yea, but at least you have a better chance of eventually receiving an update, as even if there are multiple carriers with the same device, there are specific sections of the firmware that are carrier specific. If the bug fix isn't in that area, then it has a better chance of being pushed out.

What scares me the most now, is a device that is carrier specific (i.e. our Lumia 810) being totally abandoned by the carrier. They are the gatekeeper, if they decide to just leave it as is, we're stuffed. They tell the manufacturer that they are "cutting the cord", end of story. The manufacturer just sighs, and pulls the resources off that device, to die a slow death (it happens to Android devices quite a bit, I'm told). The cost of maintaining the device is no longer economical.

Which in a sick and twisted way, is how Android has a leg up being an "open" system. If an enthusiast that knows, the know, could pickup and hack their way in and update the firmware of an abandoned device.

Our only saving grace might be an O/S update that requires a firmware tweak. Then the carrier might allow a firmware update. But in all honesty... that RARELY ever happens.

About the only thing I can hope that happens is that Nokia steps up to the plate and berates T-mobile into allowing the firmware out.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if we can get any of the wpcentral staff to try and use their connections to see if they can a) get to the bottom of this or b) use their clout to pass a message to the higher-ups of either MSFT, Tmo, or Nokia in behalf of us stranded consumers?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if we can get any of the wpcentral staff to try and use their connections to see if they can a) get to the bottom of this or b) use their clout to pass a message to the higher-ups of either MSFT, Tmo, or Nokia in behalf of us stranded consumers?
yeah someone should contact Daniel

shadohh

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I would like to suggest another method to contact Nokia about firmware updates.

1.Go into settings on your Lumia phone.
2. Got into email+ accounts
3. Make a nokia account right on the phone.
4. scroll down to feedback about to Nokia under settings.
5. Give them feedback and in the comments ask for the firmware to activate storage check.

I feel we need to assault from all avenues!

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

5. Give them feedback and in the comments ask for the firmware to activate storage check.

Great idea. I had already set up my Nokia Account, but you are right to suggest that's a good avenue. So I just now wrote it up pretty much as you suggested and sent it.

tulak

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Done it!

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Pass it on and done!!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Even though I've since switched to a 920, I think I can still do this on my 810. Why shouldn't they include Storage Check in this phone??

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

already did it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3