Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think someone from the wp support is on troll mood today

yea, they're responding to my tweets REALLY quickly. Of course I am not really trying to troll, only to emphasize and reinforce how Dr8820 and a lot of us feel.

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Who wants good news? I have info to pass along if anyone wants to stop complaining long enough to hear it. Seriously, asking a telephone/internet rep a question that they do not have an answer to will not help the situation - nor do they care about the 50k subs that purchased the 810... The device was over-priced, just like the 710 before it... Look for it to pop up on Groupon or some other social deal at $200 soon and grab one if you can.

Now, that said... There IS a firmware update coming - and it will include WiFi calling... I have not heard if the storage feature passed T-Mobile or not - apparently caching 3rd party info to an SD card can corrupt the data & card and create a ton of issues. T-Mobile isn't thrilled about applying their support resources to fixing a known issue with read/write issues to SD cards in this case. From what I understand though, certain Apps will have the ability to find the SD card after the update and write their data to it, thus making the 'other' space smaller by default. I'll keep everyone posted on the update timing as I have it, but for now, relax and hang on a bit. They just have to get the update through TA and then it will roll out.

And PS - The reason why this information is not being given out by support reps is that the update has NOT passed Technical Acceptance yet and is not official. Once it passes (usually takes about 6 weeks in testing and this should have been in about 2 so far) it will be posted to the support people and they will ask you to update your devices when you call in - or have data on when the OTA will happen.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Any proofs to support this? As far as i know wifi calling was only coming to the 521, but again if this news is genuine then its really great! Again as i said before, anything to support the claim? Just dont want to set my hopes high and then eat dirt..

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care for the complaining remark, but I'll side step it so the thread won't get derailed and shut down....I will say that I have read some of that guys post on the T-Mobile website...he sounds suspiciously like a rep..a bunch of vague pipe dreams to keep us off the twitter feed...we still need to make noise! I don't troll @winphonesupport, @tmobilehelp, or @nokiacareus..but when they advertise a new model phone knowing that the old one is a lemon in need of repair and they all turn their backs or blame the other, I tweet 😈.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's another conversation with TMO on their facebook page.

Angry Mushroom, the bottom line is that we would never roll out an update that would decrease your satisfaction with your device. If we aren't launching an update it's because it does not fit our criteria. I know we have offered the link to the Lumia 810 to you before and if there are any advancements you will find them there. -Keith
3 minutes ago ? Like

So in essence... ""Sit quietly and wait for nothing." Hopefully the Blue update will fit their "criteria." The link they sent me shows a history of updates. Naturally it is a very short list and says nothing about the future. I'm not sure if they are aware, but updates make me more satisfied... not less. I'd be very... satisfied if I could find a way to at the very least cut my "Other" storage in half. But hey... I'm only a user of said device... it's not like I know what I want.

frageelay

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now, that said... There IS a firmware update coming - and it will include WiFi calling... I have not heard if the storage feature passed T-Mobile or not - apparently caching 3rd party info to an SD card can corrupt the data & card and create a ton of issues. T-Mobile isn't thrilled about applying their support resources to fixing a known issue with read/write issues to SD cards in this case. From what I understand though, certain Apps will have the ability to find the SD card after the update and write their data to it, thus making the 'other' space smaller by default. I'll keep everyone posted on the update timing as I have it, but for now, relax and hang on a bit. They just have to get the update through TA and then it will roll out.

I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this one. To just say there is an update coming is vague and useless without any details. Also, the nonsense about 3rd party apps wreaking havoc is silly. If it was such a huge problem why isn't it a problem for the AT&T 820 and 920? Read the threads for those phones. Those who got the update are down to a few MBs (even 200 is a few compared to 4 GB). In addition, I know I'm going apples and oranges, but TMO's Android phones can do just that. They pass updates for those and use their support services to handle the issues. There are third party apps that allow one to move the apps to the SD card even circumventing the carrier. Therefore I can't believe the foolishness. I agree with those who say this sounds like a rep.

Edit... I read some of the post of the waazzupppp and they all sound too informative for just a normal informed WP8 user. They are also worded in a way to sell services and phones as well as quell those who are angry about a device. Would be great marketing and customer service if the person wasn't faking as if they were a normal WP8 owner. Instead of feeding false hope and foolishness the truth would be great.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My personal take is that WP8 is still better optimized for fixed storage handsets at this point. Notice that the two,flagships are the 8X and 920 for a reason. I don't think we need to go the old Android route of moving apps to the memory card either. What needs to happen is to allow smarter control over the metadata in the OS. I don't mind OEMs putting in various sizes of internal storage, but it is still on MSFT to tweak the OS accordingly. We shouldn't need a storage check tool from Nokia. I hope MSFT addresses this in the next update.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this one. To just say there is an update coming is vague and useless without any details. Also, the nonsense about 3rd party apps wreaking havoc is silly. If it was such a huge problem why isn't it a problem for the AT&T 820 and 920? Read the threads for those phones. Those who got the update are down to a few MBs (even 200 is a few compared to 4 GB). In addition, I know I'm going apples and oranges, but TMO's Android phones can do just that. They pass updates for those and use their support services to handle the issues. There are third party apps that allow one to move the apps to the SD card even circumventing the carrier. Therefore I can't believe the foolishness. I agree with those who say this sounds like a rep.

Edit... I read some of the post of the waazzupppp and they all sound too informative for just a normal informed WP8 user. They are also worded in a way to sell services and phones as well as quell those who are angry about a device. Would be great marketing and customer service if the person wasn't faking as if they were a normal WP8 owner. Instead of feeding false hope and foolishness the truth would be great.

I thought his comment had some truth in it till i saw the sd card crap and that's what made me question his/her source

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
@b23h has been following my tweets, @winphonesupport told both of us yesterday that the only solution to the other storage issue is to keep hard resetting the phone....no one said anything about stay tuned or any updates are coming, all I keep being told is that if/when a SW fix is posted..and gave the support web page. They have washed their hands with this phone, and unless we voice our displeasure to them, this phone will not get fixed anytime soon.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Who wants good news? I have info to pass along if anyone wants to stop complaining long enough to hear it. Seriously, asking a telephone/internet rep a question that they do not have an answer to will not help the situation - nor do they care about the 50k subs that purchased the 810... The device was over-priced, just like the 710 before it... Look for it to pop up on Groupon or some other social deal at $200 soon and grab one if you can.

Let's get to the "good news" in a moment. Yes, I've had the same thoughts some of you have about waazzupppp, that is I wonder how he's gotten the information he's passed along and about his relationship with T-Mobile. That said I appreciate the information even though I have some questions. Let's get back to that in a moment.

First though, I really don't like being insulted. If an explicit T-Mobile representative gave us a real answer about what T-Mobile intentions were, then the majority of our "complaining" would have stopped. It's just a psychological truth that humans prefer to know what to expect, it allows us to plan and to feel that we have some degree of control over the situation (even if we really don't control anything about the situation). The idea that asking a telephone or internet representative a question "they do not have an answer to will not help the situation" highlights the failure of the customer service paradigm that appears to be industry standard. The idea "nor do they care about the 50k subs that purchased the 810" just reinforces our fear about T-Mobile support of the 810 and just fills me with contempt. Waazzupppp goes on to say that the 810 was overpriced as was the 710. The customer certainly did not set that price point. The price point was set largely by T-Mobile, as was the advertising budget. T-Mobile was responsible for selling the phone and setting the price point and we are being told that only 50,000 was sold, therefore T-Mobile does not care. My response to that would be F*CK YOU T-MOBILE.

Now on to the supposed firmware. Personally I don't care about WiFi calling. I care about the Storage Check feature that Nokia is adding to their software. Which brings me to the idea that I thought it was Nokia that works on firmware, not T-Mobile. Nokia does the firmware and passes it to T-Mobile for testing. As far as the idea that "caching 3rd party info to a SD card can corrupt the data & card" strikes me as more of an Android feature and not a WP8 feature. I don't know if that is part of the Storage Check feature that Nokia is releasing.

Finally we come back to why he is giving out the information and not a support representative, "it has NOT passed Technical Acceptance yet and is not official." My question would be is there a NDA with Nokia that specifies that a company cannot say, "Hey we received a firmware update that is said to enable X, X, and Y and will be testing it for release." I bet there isn't a NDA that specifies that you cannot say that. I bet that it is simply standard protocol to have no comment, and I suggest that is a failed customer service paradigm.

If a company like T-Mobile want's to stop customer churn maybe they need to take responsibility for what they sell and not treat customers that buy their products like they "do not care". T-Mobile and the cell phone industry also needs to change their customer service paradigm and communicate with their customers in a clear fashion. The entire industry is trying to stop customer churn, but instead of actually doing good customer service they are paying lip service to it, and instead trying to lock people into service with them by selling them more devices and hoping that it is harder for the customer to change providers. WHAT FREAKING INCOMPETENCE.

Clear communication with your customers builds brand loyalty. Hiding behind a curtain of "we don't know and when we know if or when something will be released we will tell you" destroys brand loyalty.

So to all that still have an 810 we will see.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h has been following my tweets, @winphonesupport told both of us yesterday that the only solution to the other storage issue is to keep hard resetting the phone....no one said anything about stay tuned or any updates are coming, all I keep being told is that if/when a SW fix is posted..and gave the support web page. They have washed their hands with this phone, and unless we voice our displeasure to them, this phone will not get fixed anytime soon.

Yes, that was a cheesy "solution". My main concern is that while Microsoft may originally be at fault for how they coded the storage situation, the short term response that everyone is looking for is actually coming from Nokia. Nokia needs to work on and push out to T-Mobile the firmware to support the Storage Check feature. Either Nokia or T-Mobile could have told us what they were working on and that would have satisfied a lot of people, but instead all we got is "we don't know." With answers like that, why would they expect anything other than frustration and complaining....

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting responses to a possible insider.

Listen, I've been an insider on message boards. It is ALWAYS met with these crappy responses. You end up driving people away who have possible inside information.

It's a colossally stupid way to deal with someone who may have inside information. Instead of basically calling the person a liar and ripping their post apart, how about you say you're going to continue to apply pressure while you wait to see if he's right?

Take it with a grain of salt if you don't believe it. You gain nothing by attacking.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting responses to a possible insider.

Listen, I've been an insider on message boards. It is ALWAYS met with these crappy responses. You end up driving people away who have possible inside information.

It's a colossally stupid way to deal with someone who may have inside information. Instead of basically calling the person a liar and ripping their post apart, how about you say you're going to continue to apply pressure while you wait to see if he's right?

Take it with a grain of salt if you don't believe it. You gain nothing by attacking.

If you are speaking to me and expecting for me to retract what I said you are mistaken. If I had insider information I certainly would not have stated or would have rephrased much of his first paragraph. He could have simply provided information without the unnecessary "value judgments." Given that he does have insider information his characterization "nor do they care about the 50k subs that purchased the 810" may actually reflect internal T-Mobile opinion. How would anyone expect an 810 owner to respond? However if they did not "care" at all, why release an update? I also think people are right to focus on the Storage Check and to question what information is being provided.

I have been consistently pushing the idea that either T-Mobile or Nokia needs to simply state what their intention is and or what was in the pipeline. I've repeated multiple times that unless an NDA prevents a company from stating "Hey we received a firmware update that is said to enable X, X, and Y and will be testing it for release", then it would be wise for a company to do so. I think it is unlikely that there is a compelling reason why the information he presented could not have been released by T-Mobile itself. However the bulk of my response was to address the "industry standard" customer service protocols and to suggest that any company that addresses that failed customer service paradigm could do much to solve their customer churn and differentiate themselves from their competitors. Of course I ended my post with "So to all that still have an 810 we will see."

waazzupppp did himself no favors in writing the post as he did and to see reactions to it as written would be expected.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
"More importantly, it means a huge user base that doesn't feel like Google has its back. That's not a good situation for any company dealing directly with the buying public."

"The reality is the update process is still firmly controlled by the carriers and the OEMs, and they don't have the end user foremost in mind."

"I have regularly implored Google to do something to fix the update situation. Buyers of Android phones and tablets have the right to expect regular updates for the reasonable life of those products. How long that might be is up for interpretation, but somewhere around 18 months sounds reasonable to me."

Google on Android updates: We're still working on it | ZDNet

that article was released TODAY...

While WP owners certainly have it better than Android owners, we are certainly not alone in our frustrations with "carriers and the OEM, (which) don't have the end user foremost in mind."

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
"I have regularly implored Google to do something to fix the update situation. Buyers of Android phones and tablets have the right to expect regular updates for the reasonable life of those products. How long that might be is up for interpretation, but somewhere around 18 months sounds reasonable to me."

That sounds really familiar to me, like I've called for that multiple times on this thread (and elsewhere).

# 60
"How about a clear statement that T-Mobile will support the phone for X amount of time. I just bought my 810 within the last month well within it's expected lifespan."

# 74
"All they really need to do to satisfy a whole lot of us is to say, yes we "will work with Nokia to ensure that the 810 will continue to get firmware updates where necessary to fix issues and enable functions over a reasonable lifetime of the phone."

"This is T-Mobile's decision and the way to resolve the dilemma is very simple. T-Mobile should state that they will support the 810 and give us a likely timeline for that support.

If I were to buy a motherboard from a company I would expect that within a reasonable period of time the company would provide bios updates for their product. I usually buy Asus motherboards. Because I have always seen them support their motherboards for a reasonable amount of time, they have my trust. T-Mobile has not earned the same level of trust from me."

--------------------------------------

I bet I could spend the next hour cutting and pasting my calling for support of devices sold for a reasonable lifespan of the device, and that such a "contract with the customer" would build brand loyalty and reduce customer churn.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

And PS - The reason why this information is not being given out by support reps is that the update has NOT passed Technical Acceptance yet and is not official. Once it passes (usually takes about 6 weeks in testing and this should have been in about 2 so far) it will be posted to the support people and they will ask you to update your devices when you call in - or have data on when the OTA will happen.

That does sound like good news but its sorta hard to believe :/ i mean you cant blame us for acting this way twoards T-Mobile for their customer support and by EOL'ing the device after 5 months of service and by pointing the finger at nokia and by nokia pointing the finger at T-Mobile. if they cant provide ANY info then like i said before its hard to believe what you said. BUT if you are telling the truth then i applad you for you effort to tell us something that we didnt know :)

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are speaking to me and expecting for me to retract what I said you are mistaken. If I had insider information I certainly would not have stated or would have rephrased much of his first paragraph. He could have simply provided information without the unnecessary "value judgments."
waazzupppp did himself no favors in writing the post as he did and to see reactions to it as written would be expected.

No, I was not just speaking to you. You're not alone. You have no idea whether or not this person is providing good information or not.

And, as I have stated, I have provided inside information on forums before and been met with your exact churlish, arrogant, nonsense.

Act like an adult, assume we don't know and wait to see. All you have succeeded in doing is chasing someone away without concrete knowledge of whether that person is real or not. You've just decided based on the language, which is beyond ridiculous. I'd prefer you didn't chase people away because on the chance this person is correct, you and your kind have blown it.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

The ball is no longer in our court. We have been publicly vocal, Nokia and T-Mobile have heard us (not just here, but elsewhere). Now is the magical waiting game for the ball to come back to us. It's either going to either come back as good news, or bad news. Maybe a bit of both, who knows. We all know the phrase "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" which is what we have been doing. But a lot of people forget that sometimes if the squeak is to LOUD, sometimes people just throw it away and get a new wheel. It's a fine line to be annoying, but not to annoying.

Sitting around getting our panties in a bunch over "he said, she said" doesn't do anything but upset oneself, or someone else. It's not productive. Take a breath, step away from the keyboard, and go outside and take in the wonders of the world for bit (since you have a camera on your phone, might as well take some pics, and share them, hint, hint).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3