Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
No, I was not just speaking to you. You're not alone. You have no idea whether or not this person is providing good information or not.

And, as I have stated, I have provided inside information on forums before and been met with your exact churlish, arrogant, nonsense.
Act like an adult, assume we don't know and wait to see. All you have succeeded in doing is chasing someone away without concrete knowledge of whether that person is real or not. You've just decided based on the language, which is beyond ridiculous. I'd prefer you didn't chase people away because on the chance this person is correct, you and your kind have blown it.

Yea, you're a charmer. I've already shown that the main premises of my argument and what I suggested as a solution is widely shared. Customer churn in the cell phone industry is also widely known to be an issue that the cell phone companies would like to resolve. If by arrogant you mean that I think that my analysis is accurate and appropriate, then according to your definition I will say that I am arrogant. However "nonsense" or "ridiculous", hardly.

If I helped to "scare" away someone who really could have given us the information he did without being a "charmer" like yourself, so be it.

P.S. Guzzler3, sorry for ignoring your suggestion. Will do that now. I have a tendency to want to draw appropriate boundaries.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea, you're a charmer. I've already shown that the main premises of my argument and what I suggested as a solution is widely shared. Customer churn in the cell phone industry is also widely known to be an issue that the cell phone companies would like to resolve. If by arrogant you mean that I think that my analysis is accurate and appropriate, then according to your definition I will say that I am arrogant. However "nonsense" or "ridiculous", hardly.

If I helped to "scare" away someone who really could have given us the information he did without being a "charmer" like yourself, so be it.

P.S. Guzzler3, sorry for ignoring your suggestion. Will do that now. I have a tendency to want to draw appropriate boundaries.

Hilarious.

Keep up the good work. There are not other people here who might want something else.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
(since you have a camera on your phone, might as well take some pics, and share them, hint, hint).

But my large "Other" doesn't allow me to capture those "wonders of the world". Guess I should spend the time resetting the phone first and watching those wonders pass by during the reboot. Maybe I will catch them on the second go around...

Folks, I guess we have to use our 810 as is and that's that. It is a shame because I can say that if the 925 was out in November, I'd have bought that instead. But I can only hope that those 925 users have better luck than we did. If that one gets EOL'ed quickly, you will hear no sympathy from me.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Let me clear up a few things - 1) I do not work for Nokia, but I know many people that do (as well as their PR firm in Bellevue)... 2) I do not work for T-Mobile, but I know many people that work there as well. My information comes from years of talking to every cellular company and manufacturer in my area, this includes: HTC, Nokia, Microsoft, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile. I have been a Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Android and Windows Phone device tester for years. The first device I tested was the HTC Wizard, the last was the HTC 8x (I skipped the One)... I tested the Lumia 900 and 810 for use on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks respectively.

Now that I have cleared up a bit about my history, let me tell you a bit about how I get my info... I have personal friends at Nokia and T-Mobile who both let me know about the update process for the 810. I wish I had better news than "it's coming" but I don't have time frames because they don't either. From the sounds of things, I would bet that this update in testing now will be the July firmware update that will bring Data Sense, the new camera features and Storage Check to all devices.... The timing makes sense and it sounds like a full rollout to all devices is slated for July...

Say what you want, but I'm hopeful that it is true. Of course, I don't really mind being wrong since Nokia gave me the 810 (and PS my primary carrier isn't T-Mo, it's Solavei right now - love the 4GB of 4G for $49) and I will love my 925 once it arrives in the next few weeks.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
But my large "Other" doesn't allow me to capture those "wonders of the world". Guess I should spend the time resetting the phone first and watching those wonders pass by during the reboot. Maybe I will catch them on the second go around...

Folks, I guess we have to use our 810 as is and that's that. It is a shame because I can say that if the 925 was out in November, I'd have bought that instead. But I can only hope that those 925 users have better luck than we did. If that one gets EOL'ed quickly, you will hear no sympathy from me.

I will be very curious as to what happens to the 810. I will not have mine in another months time. I doubt the 925 will be EOL'd as quickly, but I can already see that a fair amount of people are unhappy that it does not have a microSD card slot and while most other 920 variants have 32 gig, it only has 16. I consider 16 the minimum for applications only, and given I want to be able to store media locally, the 925 having only 16 gig is a no. I really hope that T-Mobile and Nokia treats the 810 owners well, and many of you know that has been my goal in posting....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey waazzuppppp,

Thanks for the info. Personally I really didn't need to know your history, but that's fine. I think reading my response to your post you will see that I really spend most time in my response to your first paragraph. I would like to suggest that first paragraph could have been stated a tad more diplomatically than it was. Given I have been focusing on Nokia and especially T-Mobile's communication style with their customers and you have seen my posts before, I would think that you were not particularly shocked by my response. T-Mobile and Nokia really could have avoided a lot of sturm und drang had they communicated their intent some time ago as you just now have.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
waazzupp, thanks for the update, as an 810 user, I appreciate it!

Having worked for T-MO, a decade ago, I understand why no official statements on an update happen until they are, or are about to, be released. I can remember the first launch of the original sidekick, which to me was one of the first 'smartphone' OS's that were easily updateable. Promising features that don't end up getting released to people just will get the masses angry. Fans of message boards are decidedly in the minority, even today (I am one, yes that's why I'm here). People who do stuff like rooting phones, loading unsupported firmware, unsupported OS's onto their phones, are even fewer. (yes, I am one of these as well).

If my 'other' file was as large as some people on here, I'd be extremely unhappy. My Lumia 810 had a manufacture date of 3/21/13 (probably one of the last ones made, I'd bet) In fact, I'd be making sure my 810 went back to the manufacturer, as it is clearly in warranty, since it hasn't even been on the market this long.

I will continue to monitor this thread in the hope that soon, all this will be fixed...thank you for listening to my rant!!

Nokia, I am here, please send me something to beta test, I promise I'd be a great source of open and honest feedback.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
waazzupp, thanks for the update, as an 810 user, I appreciate it!

Having worked for T-MO, a decade ago, I understand why no official statements on an update happen until they are, or are about to, be released. I can remember the first launch of the original sidekick, which to me was one of the first 'smartphone' OS's that were easily updateable. Promising features that don't end up getting released to people just will get the masses angry.

Hi wiseguywood!

It's nice to hear from you. I do realize that what you are saying is one of the reasons that companies are so quiet about their plans. However I would like to suggest that for every instance where a company might say something that does in fact not come to fruition, there are HUNDREDS of instances where the typical "we don't know if or when but we will tell you here" creates frustration and reduces brand loyalty. If they told us what they hoped to achieve or had plans for, threads like this and the deleted thread over on T-Mobile would be ghost towns. I still suggest that a company who is clear with their customers will build brand loyalty. People with brand loyalty will overlook issues like promised features that don't end up getting released. I'm sorry, but the paradigm that the companies are using works against human nature. Customers without brand loyalty and excessive customer churn are expected given the cell phone industry's standard practices....

I've had a lot of philosophy classes and so I've really come to focus on how people or companies rationalize their behavior. For me the problem of evil in the world is that people allow themselves to rationalize their behavior using either logical fallacies or bad premises. That is we allow ourselves to "get away with murder" when we think about why or if we should do something.

You know my response is not about you, it's about the reasons given for certain decisions.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
B23h, no worries, nothing personal taken, and yeah, look how dead the Lumia 810 discussion got on T-mobile after the heavy handed moderation. I will rarely, if ever, post there again!

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

The ball is no longer in our court. We have been publicly vocal, Nokia and T-Mobile have heard us (not just here, but elsewhere). Now is the magical waiting game for the ball to come back to us. It's either going to either come back as good news, or bad news. Maybe a bit of both, who knows. We all know the phrase "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" which is what we have been doing. But a lot of people forget that sometimes if the squeak is to LOUD, sometimes people just throw it away and get a new wheel. It's a fine line to be annoying, but not to annoying.

Sitting around getting our panties in a bunch over "he said, she said" doesn't do anything but upset oneself, or someone else. It's not productive. Take a breath, step away from the keyboard, and go outside and take in the wonders of the world for bit (since you have a camera on your phone, might as well take some pics, and share them, hint, hint).
..step back from the keyboard...go outside and take some pictures...can't do that if the phone storage is full, which is the point of this thread. ...squeaky wheels get replaced...sort of how T-Mobile replaced the 5 months old 810...please let us continue to discuss this problem, because as long as I still own and having paid good money for it, it deserves to be fixed. Thank you and have a nice day 😊.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@wiseguywood, are you in the betalabs.nokia.com group... Definitely worth a visit to the site if you want to check it out. It's the first place that new Nokia software pops up. Quite fun!

@Mr.8820 I appreciate the humor of your response, but we all know that we can just take pictures on our SD cards... Storage has nothing to do with it... But wait, dang it, my SD card just crapped out again... Nevermind... lol

@b23h I still understand where you are going with this, but there are times to wait and see and times to get up in arms. The facts in this are rather confusing... Most people are pissed that we didn't get the Storage Check and Data Sense - right? Well, lets look at timing... The 920 (released 11/2/12) was the first device to Portico (12/12) and then get the 1308 update (3/13) - which broke connectivity on the device. It then had an emergency fix with 1314 (4/13). The 810 was released 2 weeks after the 920 (11/22/12) and received Portico a month later (1/21/13). With that said, the 1308 update would have been scrubbed due to the connection problems in April (if the timing for updates remained the same) and we would be on track for a May release of 1314. That said, with all the improvements that are coming with the July release (or potential release) of a new update - why would T-Mobile even take a chance on running an incremental update out to the 810 when in July they will have to do it again?

Sure, I understand that the storage check feature is huge, but I keep mine well under control with Phone Storage Cleanup (free in the Store) so I'm not sweating that issue so much. I am more concerned with the 521 coming out and having a better feature set than the 810 did. Of course, the 810 is now 7 months old, and the 521 is a STEAL, so I guess if I feel that bad, I will just go buy a 521 and not worry about it. In the mean time, I sure hope that T-Mobile gets a build that passes TA, comes to the 810 this summer/fall and has the three things I really want... 1) Data Sense... 2) WiFi calling access... 3) Storage Check... if that happens, I will be perfectly content with the 810 that I am already pretty happy with. If not, maybe it's time to pick up a 925 or go back to Android and the HTC One?

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the three things I really want... 1) Data Sense... 2) WiFi calling access... 3) Storage Check... if that happens, I will be perfectly content with the 810 that I am already pretty happy with. If not, maybe it's time to pick up a 925 or go back to Android and the HTC One?
I would REALLY hope that, you know, since the 521 got WiFi calling that the 925 also ships with it! Of course - that 810 better get a firmware update for it but if not, well, it would be REALLY odd if the super cheap phone got features that their more expensive phone wouldn't have. Don't the 620 & 720 ship with Storage Check as well? I imagine the 521 will, and likely the 925, and any future Nokia phone. I have my fingers crossed for the 810 getting these things but I have no trust in T-Mobile at this point to send out such an update for a phone they're not even selling as refurbished anymore.

I purchased a 2-year warranty for my (full retail purchase) 810 at the Microsoft Store. Fortunately, Microsoft's policy there is to simply replace with an all-new device rather than repair the device, so once they run out of stock on the 810, maybe they'll replace my 810 with a 925 (I'm having legitimate issues anyway). If not, well, I'm still gonna be upset about this 810 thing until we get new firmware updates from Nokia (if ever). I'm willing to settle for no SD card and a wireless charging clip-on for the 925 that looks tacky enough to keep me from buying one... it all depends on what MS decides to do with my 810 warranty.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi waazzupppp,

Everything you say makes sense (except for that chatter about Android and the HTC One, but let's not quibble) and I appreciate the information. I just wish T-Mobile (and the cell phone industry) would change the way they communicate with their customers. It would have made so much of all this talk, pressure, general unhappiness and such, unnecessary.

Personally I'm just waiting for my credit card to flip and I'll be ready to jump ship. The old HTC HD7 is now unlocked, and I've got a Net10 (god help me/wish me luck) sim ready to go. Early next week I'll port my number out and when that's done give T-Mobile the 810 back. Will tell everyone how that goes... Of course will continue to watch what happens to the 810.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think metalchick has abandoned us, she's got her new Rogers 920 and clearly is spending all of her time with her new beau and I guess just doesn't want to hang out at the old playground.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I would REALLY hope that, you know, since the 521 got WiFi calling that the 925 also ships with it! Of course - that 810 better get a firmware update for it but if not, well, it would be REALLY odd if the super cheap phone got features that their more expensive phone wouldn't have. Don't the 620 & 720 ship with Storage Check as well? I imagine the 521 will, and likely the 925, and any future Nokia phone. I have my fingers crossed for the 810 getting these things but I have no trust in T-Mobile at this point to send out such an update for a phone they're not even selling as refurbished anymore.

I can tell you right now that the 620 does come with Storage Check. I got one for my mother for Mother's Day and it came out of the box with the 1308 firmware, and there was Storage Check. *sigh* It's almost like a carrot being dangled into the faces of 810 owners that all these other phones have it and the 810 doesn't. Someone also answered a question for me in another thread about the 521, and that too has Storage Check built in.

@b23h - I haven't actually abandoned you guys and the 810 forum! I've mostly been lurking the past couple of days, but I've been reading everything very closely. And here I am posting again! I'll still contribute anytime I can. :smile:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Crazy that T-Mobile became with WP8 what AT&T was with WP7...no updates at all while the new phones ship with the appropriate software and firmware.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Crazy that T-Mobile became with WP8 what AT&T was with WP7...no updates at all while the new phones ship with the appropriate software and firmware.
ha! Yes, exactly. Maybe even a bit worse though, pulling both (all) WP devices within half a year of launch and leaving nothing at all until their replacements arrive.

Still, what happened to T-Mobile being bullish on WP8 and really excited? They seemed to take a complete 180 from how it seems they handled the 710

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3