08-14-2015 02:26 PM
1,549 1234 ...
tools
    Out of frustration i actually bought a new rogers 920 for 320 bucks, atleast i am assuming i will get better treatment. I am still keeping the 810 before i pass it on to my dad (he has the focus and a lumia 900).
    04-20-2013 12:10 AM
    I'm sure we'll be able to force firmware updates on our phones as time goes by. All I know is I'll be buying unlocked phones in the future. TMO really was to fast in dropping this hot potato.
    04-20-2013 03:51 AM
    I've only owned Microsoft phones since my first, the Treo 700WX..then the HTC Touch, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro2, HTC HD2, HTC HD7, and now the Nokia Lumia 810....regardless of the carrier, Microsoft has abandoned these phones as well...I'm looking at these phones as I type, I think I've shown loyalty to the platform long enough and all I have are a bunch of phones that still would be great with the proper support...loyalty only goes so far before you start to feel foolish, Microsoft has a very bad habit of starting something but not fixing it and just moving on to something else that they will drop support on. My morning rant.
    04-20-2013 07:18 AM
    I'm sure we'll be able to force firmware updates on our phones as time goes by. All I know is I'll be buying unlocked phones in the future. TMO really was to fast in dropping this hot potato.
    IMO, they can easily force firmware update, but if you ask them, official statement would be 'Carrier has to approve it'... doesn't make sense if carrier is not at all interested... better make it carrier independent in that case with firmware update...!!!
    b23h likes this.
    04-20-2013 08:43 AM
    I think since the carrier has already eol'ed the phone they won't support updates, hence ms/nokia would be free to bypass them and push updates as needed. I hope this happens, in that case we will actually be saved from delayed updates :D
    04-20-2013 09:04 AM
    if its specific for 810, I think you would need TMO better :-)
    More general, still would like the email addresses. Even if they get filtered by some assistant, I wouldn't mind.
    04-20-2013 09:24 AM
    More general, still would like the email addresses. Even if they get filtered by some assistant, I wouldn't mind.
    check for TMO on twitter I think..
    04-20-2013 09:36 AM
    I'm contacting everyone; Nokia, tmo, Microsoft. Hopefully our voices will be heard
    ssapre likes this.
    04-20-2013 09:40 AM
    This is what really annoys me, I've been tweeting all of them, Nokia and T-Mobile said "hang tight, a fix is coming!"...then EOL the phone instead...I'm actually speechless.
    b23h likes this.
    04-20-2013 09:50 AM
    This is what really annoys me, I've been tweeting all of them, Nokia and T-Mobile said "hang tight, a fix is coming!"...then EOL the phone instead...I'm actually speechless.
    TMO told me that they have no plans. Nokia Care said they have no details for now, but hold on.
    04-20-2013 10:03 AM
    i really pains me to say this but if they cant simply provide firmware updates than the phones become useless and it hasnt even been out that long what really stinks is that because of this you either keep buying the new phones when they come out or get an iphone when you know there will always be updates or a google phone which also gets updated.
    04-20-2013 01:02 PM
    Microsoft promised 18 months of support on their new WP8 devices. This was a carrier-independent promise. Now we all get the chance to actually call them on this... and they better not be bluffing!
    metalchick719, b23h and MSFTisMIA like this.
    04-20-2013 01:54 PM
    i really pains me to say this but if they cant simply provide firmware updates than the phones become useless and it hasnt even been out that long what really stinks is that because of this you either keep buying the new phones when they come out or get an iphone when you know there will always be updates or a google phone which also gets updated.
    Android is not updated like iPhone. It's a very fractured platform
    binthham likes this.
    04-20-2013 02:22 PM
    Android is not updated like iPhone. It's a very fractured platform
    Apple = ONE iPhone. Android OEMs = More than One Phone, with OEMs having more leeway for updates. WP8 = standard hardware for 1 OS. This means in theory better OS updates. Well, my 810 got EOL'ed so we get to test this theory out.
    04-20-2013 02:50 PM
    Of course now you can't download paid apps because the marketplace is having problems...now I pretty much have a blank phone...gotta love Microsoft....
    04-20-2013 03:33 PM
    Im not saying all of the phones im talking more in general the nexus 4 at least it will be supported for a while.
    04-20-2013 05:47 PM
    Im not saying all of the phones im talking more in general the nexus 4 at least it will be supported for a while.
    The OEM Alliance for Android states that software support is good for 18 months, as long as your hardware supports it. You may get 24 months if its a Google supported phone (Nexus device). It may amount to 2-3 major versions of the OS.

MSFT has said that WP8 is good for 18 months of support. We will see how they handle phones like the 810 that get EOL'ed early.

Apple doesn't count because their phones don't get the full version of the updates of the OS because usually there is some physical hardware specific feature the older model doesn't have.
    04-20-2013 06:54 PM
    They did fix it. It's part of a "sweeping" update called "under the rug." On a more serious note. I do hope they'll allow firmware updates. I still kinda want FM.

Edit:

Here's a response from TMO from Facebook:

"EOL doesn't always mean that updates will stop. It does mean that the manufacturer is no longer producing it or we have chosen not to buy any additional units from them. -Keith"

So we can hold on to hope for now.
    Last edited by Angry_Mushroom; 04-20-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    04-20-2013 08:04 PM
    Does tmo have a good record of supporting EOL'd devices? This is my first smartphone so I don't have anything to really compare it to. But the iPhone is consistently updated until the hardware cannot support it. It stinks. From a support standpoint, the iPhone seems like the best choice. And if these shenanigans continue, I can't see myself sticking it out with tmo or MSFT for a long time. Sucks though bc I love the metro/tiles look. Everyone around me had iPhones at dinner tonight and it reminded me how ugly those rows of icons looked. I would certainly miss my customizable home screen.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    04-21-2013 02:02 AM
    I terminated my Nokia 810 contract Friday, but because I have 2 additional lines, T-Mobile said Nokia has not released the SW fix to them. For whatever it's worth, I was given Nokia's number and was told to call them 1-866-665-4228...I guess I'll get a good laugh and call them later and report back...
    b23h likes this.
    04-22-2013 07:41 AM
    Looking forward to the update!
    04-22-2013 09:24 AM
    As expected, Nokia said the updates are on the carrier. He did say that T-Mobile passed on an update because of problems, though I'm not sure if he was talking about the 710 or 810, since he mentioned both. My phone will be off in a few days, good luck to all and I hope you get a fix for the "other" storage issue which has made my phone unusable.
    b23h likes this.
    04-22-2013 10:27 AM
    Well, that's just lovely. :-/ Here, we were all holding out on the hope that Nokia would take care of us even if T-Mobile refused to provide firmware updates to a phone they EOL'd. Swell...
    b23h likes this.
    04-22-2013 12:04 PM
    So, if Microsoft doesn't count manufacturer firmware updates in their "18 month" support promise, then we're all boned because we'll never get anything and Microsoft can say "Well, we're giving everyone OUR platform updates. Go talk to Nokia for Nokia-specific stuff." Could be even worse if T-Mobile chooses to skip one of the major WP8 updates (aren't carriers allowed to skip one update?) - then we're all in the dark ages until next year with nothing from anyone.

I mean, if T-Mobile already passed on a Nokia-specific update, I don't see much hope for us. With a device they no longer sell, they're probably not going to even bother accepting Nokia's updates since they're not forced to - I'm convinced that first update was passed due to "problems" of them not wanting to spend time and money testing the update on a phone they don't care about.
    04-22-2013 12:51 PM
    Again, this B.S. makes me regret not getting an unlocked Lumia 920 when I had the chance. I figured the 810 would receive all the right support since it was being released on T-Mobile. Dare I say it even makes me want to revert back to my iPhone 4 just because I know I'll get continuous updates on that. Very sad because, like the rest of you, I really do love my Lumia 810.
    04-22-2013 12:59 PM
1,549 1234 ...