• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
08-14-2015 02:26 PM
1,549 ... 5152535455 ...
tools
    Who awesome. I'm gonna have to try this on mine. I LOVE the glance screen notifications.
    02-21-2014 08:34 PM
    Ok,so after reflashing, redownloading GDR3, resetting and reading WPCentral, I finally managed to get Glance screen notifications working on my Lumia 810. This is what I did:

1) Install GDR3 Preview (could be optional, someone not on GDR3 Preview can verify?)
    2) Install the latest Extras+Info, Glance, and Glance Background

extras+info | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

glance | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Glance Background | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3) Enable Peek, Always On, or Interval from Glance settings
    4) Open Glance Background and select any one picture to start
    5) By now you have Glance screen notifications and new glance options (that comes with Black) with the dancing/moving clock enabled under Glance in settings
    6) If you want to uninstall Glance Background, you can reset back to no Glance Background and uninstall Glance Background, this doesn't disable the lock screen glance notifications, even after multiple restarts

wp_20140221_22_36_45_pro.jpg

Enjoy! (.....and FU T-Mobile!!!!)
    Last edited by pankaj981; 02-21-2014 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Not sure about GDR3 hence edited my first point, added picture
    L0KII and Dr_8820 like this.
    02-21-2014 09:31 PM
    The reason you have Glance notifications is because just today Glance updated to V 2.2.0.6 which added that not because you have GDR3.
    02-21-2014 11:36 PM
    The reason you have Glance notifications is because just today Glance updated to V 2.2.0.6 which added that not because you have GDR3.
    The reason I have Glance notifications is because of some users (froi francisco & JM_T) posting their results here, me figuring out a way to enable it on my Lumia 810, then post the instructions here...see what I did there..?!!
    Last edited by pankaj981; 02-22-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    JM_T and froi francisco like this.
    02-21-2014 11:52 PM
    Let me add that you have glance because you tested a theory and didn't just dismiss it as not possible and 'black' dependent.
    -----
    Yes the Glance update is the one that brought the new feature. What pankaj was asking is if there was a compatibility requirement to have GDR3 to enable the feature. Some users have reported not getting the feature even after updating Glance with their phones NOT running GDR3. At the very least, pankaj tested that theory here, although it still needed to be cleared up, he did not just dismiss it as BS.
    02-22-2014 12:43 AM
    Who cares who said what or why. WE HAVE IT! FU T-MOBILE! This plus 8.1 through developer preview and I will be a happy camper. (Who will not be buying a new phone. Double FU T-Mobile!) Maniacal Laugh Maniacal Laugh...
    JM_T and L0KII like this.
    02-22-2014 01:03 AM
    1) Install GDR3 Preview (could be optional, someone not on GDR3 Preview can verify?)
    I can confirm, GDR3 is optional to get Glance. (edit:Add - No Glance Screen Info. Just basic Glance)

wp_ss_20140222_0001.png

This a about my phone (cropped to remove personal info)

wp_ss_20140222_0002-2-.png
    Last edited by Guzzler3; 02-22-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Add info
    02-22-2014 08:55 AM
    I can confirm, GDR3 is optional to get Glance
    You mean Glance Notifications? I already had Glance before yesterday's update, Glance Notification was enabled after the update. Also looks like (first screenshot) your new Glance settings have not been unlocked yet

This is how it looks on my 810

wp_ss_20140222_0002.png
    Last edited by pankaj981; 02-22-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add screenshot
    02-22-2014 09:17 AM
    Yep. You are correct. I forgot to mention that it's still just 'basic glance'. No notifications. Just the clock, and optional background pic if you install the Beta - Glance Background.

I guess you do need GDR3 to get the notifications (aka - Glance Screen info)

P.S.
    YES, I have gone through and made sure every app/setting is one the newest versions.
    I will be keeping the Developer Preview (GDR3) off the phone for as long as I can stand it, just so I can test things.
    Last edited by Guzzler3; 02-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    JM_T likes this.
    02-22-2014 10:01 AM
    Omg! It works! You need to update both extras + info and glance. It did not show up after I opened both. But when I restarted my phone, the option was there on glance! Yahoo! This is the main reason why I wanted Lumia black!
    UPDATE: I just tested it, it does show the notifications on glance screen! Sweet! And there's also the choice of night mode color!
    This has worked on my 810 as well, I installed the updates and then restarted the phone. Thanks :)
    02-24-2014 03:57 PM
    Very briefly:
    I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out*.
    * Posted 1-14-2014

Well ?...... so much for your reliable source.

the joke is on you, she just BS'd you,

as anyone could see.
    trouble210 likes this.
    02-25-2014 05:38 PM
    Well I hope T-Mobile might just roll out a new firmware when 8.1 gets released, which would include improvements from Black anyways..I hope...I am not missing the update anyways since the only missing piece from Black (Glance Notifications) has now been enabled
    sahib lopez likes this.
    02-25-2014 07:24 PM
    Well I hope T-Mobile might just roll out a new firmware when 8.1 gets released, which would include improvements from Black anyways..I hope...I am not missing the update anyways since the only missing piece from Black (Glance Notifications) has now been enabled
    8.1 isn't firmware it's OS and it's MS and T Mobile doesn't just send out OS updates,
    if you want 8.1 get into the Preview for Developers program and get 8.1 from Microsoft.
    02-25-2014 11:07 PM
    8.1 isn't firmware it's OS and it's MS and T Mobile doesn't just send out OS updates,
    if you want 8.1 get into the Preview for Developers program and get 8.1 from Microsoft.
    With all due respect, a few days/posts ago I did mention having GDR3 on my 810, now the entire world knows that T-Mobile hasn't pushed GDR3 officially which concludes that I have it through the Developer Preview Program. Also as I mentioned earlier (few posts ago) that I clearly know what's the difference between a firmware and an OS and who pushes what. Technically to get it officially, the OS and firmware should be released from T-Mobile, after MS sends the 8.1 RTM to Nokia which would package it with its firmware and give it to T-Mobile for testing. So unless T-Mobile wishes to push the firmware, Nokia and Microsoft are of no help except if one gets in the Developer Preview Program to get the 8.1 RTM only
    sahib lopez likes this.
    02-26-2014 07:27 AM
    With all due respect, a few days/posts ago I did mention having GDR3 on my 810, now the entire world knows that T-Mobile hasn't pushed GDR3 officially which concludes that I have it through the Developer Preview Program. Also as I mentioned earlier (few posts ago) that I clearly know what's the difference between a firmware and an OS and who pushes what. Technically to get it officially, the OS and firmware should be released from T-Mobile, after MS sends the 8.1 RTM to Nokia which would package it with its firmware and give it to T-Mobile for testing. So unless T-Mobile wishes to push the firmware, Nokia and Microsoft are of no help except if one gets in the Developer Preview Program to get the 8.1 RTM only
    Exactly what I said... badum-CHING rim shot
    02-26-2014 11:03 AM
    "HTC Advantage" that involves six months of free screen replacement and guaranteed Android updates for two years...

Nice job HTC. I was arguing for a program like that in this very thread about a year ago.

HTC Prez: One (M8) Is Not For Everyone | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    03-25-2014 08:27 PM
    "HTC Advantage" that involves six months of free screen replacement and guaranteed Android updates for two years...

Nice job HTC. I was arguing for a program like that in this very thread about a year ago.

HTC Prez: One (M8) Is Not For Everyone | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    who knows maybe the 810 will get 8.1. Even thought im doubting my own m words :P
    03-25-2014 08:49 PM
    We are talking about T-Mobile here, so I'd say no. I remember seeing your profile as putting you in Orland, CA while I was down in Irvine. However now I'm over by Chico. Howdy neighbor!!
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-25-2014 08:59 PM
    We are talking about T-Mobile here, so I'd say no. I remember seeing your profile as putting you in Orland, CA while I was down in Irvine. However now I'm over by Chico. Howdy neighbor!!
    sup neighbor :P anyways call me nave but I think they could of just held out on the update because they knew or know windows phone 8.1 was coming and the nokia firmware so they could of figured that people that have the 810 wouldn't mind not getting the black update but want the 8.1 update and for them to save money.
    03-25-2014 10:35 PM
    Well, you certainly think more of T-Mobile's "good intentions" than I do...

we shall see what happens. I haven't been tracking the situation with T-Mobile's HTC 8x, I assume they've been screwed out of GDR3/Black as well.

I am impressed that T-Mobile upped the data amounts of all their plans for free and I was hoping that AT&T would do the same thing, but they only upped one plan and not the rest.
    03-25-2014 11:37 PM
    Well, you certainly think more of T-Mobile's "good intentions" than I do...

we shall see what happens. I haven't been tracking the situation with T-Mobile's HTC 8x, I assume they've been screwed out of GDR3/Black as well.

I am impressed that T-Mobile upped the data amounts of all their plans for free and I was hoping that AT&T would do the same thing, but they only upped one plan and not the rest.
    im not trying to pass judgment yet on them because I have only been on the T-Mobile network for a year now so I have not much to say. if they don't pass 8.1 to the 810 or htc 8x then ill think T-Mobile as the network that never updates their windows phone
    03-25-2014 11:49 PM
    Looked at T-Mobile's HTC 8x support page and of course GDR3 has not been released to the 8x. Just looking at the first thread it struck me very quickly how cheesily some of the T-Mobile support staff answer (or in reality don't answer at all) the question.

GDR3 for 8X?? | T-Mobile Support

I love how sneakymoose and felipefaccini call tmo-rick on his Feb 22, 2014 off topic post...
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-25-2014 11:50 PM
    T-Mobile has an incredibly long history of abandoning their Windows Phones... There is no doubt about that. The likelihood is that they will support their current Windows Phones and for a short time after they go EOL.

They may talk about removing pain points for their customers, however you are just a number to them nothing more. So while their prices are good and they've successfully introduced some very positive competition and worthwhile policies into the US's cellular market, they have a long way to go with their customer service practices. I harped on this a lot in the past, but a two year guarantee of updates was part one of my suggestions, and a real exchange of information with their customer was part two. So I really am impressed by HTC moving forward on a two year guarantee of updates for Android, Whether or not HTC was forced to do it by their poor standing at this time, it really doesn't matter; it's a good move for their customers. That's a policy that should be implemented by all carriers.
    03-26-2014 12:04 AM
    Looked at T-Mobile's HTC 8x support page and of course GDR3 has not been released to the 8x. Just looking at the first thread it struck me very quickly how cheesily some of the T-Mobile support staff answer (or in reality don't answer at all) the question.

GDR3 for 8X?? | T-Mobile Support

I love how sneakymoose and felipefaccini call tmo-rick on his Feb 22, 2014 off topic post...
    im thinking they copy and past because well they don't have the answers :P
    03-26-2014 12:08 AM
    T-Mobile has an incredibly long history of abandoning their Windows Phones... There is no doubt about that. The likelihood is that they will support their current Windows Phones and for a short time after they go EOL.

They may talk about removing pain points for their customers, however you are just a number to them nothing more. So while their prices are good and they've successfully introduced some very positive competition and worthwhile policies into the US's cellular market, they have a long way to go with their customer service practices. I harped on this a lot in the past, but a two year guarantee of updates was part one of my suggestions, and a real exchange of information with their customer was part two. So I really am impressed by HTC moving forward on a two year guarantee of updates for Android, Whether or not HTC was forced to do it by their poor standing at this time, it really doesn't matter; it's a good move for their customers. That's a policy that should be implemented by all carriers.
    I agree I wish more carriers would adopt this strategy that HTC adopted but then again circumstances could change and make a complete 360 go back on their word :/
    b23h likes this.
    03-26-2014 12:11 AM
1,549 ... 5152535455 ...