Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Of course but even with 4:3 you'd get green, besides even if I zoom in it's still green,
the only way to get rid of that green would be post processing editing and you'd have to crop
more than 50% of the image. If you're using landscape with 5 faces across the ones on the sides will have a green hue to them.
This is an issue even with the built in, the green it's clearly still there. On Twitter Nokia Care techs said they are working on this issue
Nokia knows it's still there.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me it's likely the cam/optical assembly itself. It's kinda like a lens hood effect, as it's obvious in diffuse low light and more pronounced in the corners. If that's the case, I can't blame the software for that.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Of course but even with 4:3 you'd get green, besides even if I zoom in it's still green,
the only way to get rid of that green would be post processing editing and you'd have to crop
more than 50% of the image. If you're using landscape with 5 faces across the ones on the sides will have a green hue to them.
This is an issue even with the built in, oddly enough the green isn't as bad, but it's clearly still there.
it's a camera phone anyway, and it's not the high end one. Of course there will be trade offs

howard mai

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I can do the Fiddler trick, hence I chose to do that. Besides, I'd rather use fiddler since it's my own proxy i'm using. You're never sure who sets up those proxies as well as the security issues with third party proxies. I think I just saw someone post somewhere in wpc their acct. got hacked from the same proxy they used.

Here i am, I have never use those proxy until the day i was curious about Nokia Camera. After a few steps to do and i couldn't install it, I went to here, write my quite scared.
I am still believe the day our phone be hacked by those proxy and our account went out :))

howard mai

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm happy that the 810 is getting updates so far and hope it continues. I just bought a relatively cheap new HTC 8x over at CowBoom (their prices for it seems to switch between 190 and 370) and should get it in a week. I find the thought of being an ex-810 EOL buyer only to switch to another T-Mobile abandoned child the HTC 8x to be slightly less than thrilling, but will be happy to be back on WP8. I see both phones are in a similar situation as far as updates and so I hope that at the minimum both of them receive GDR3 via OTA. I know this is a 810 thread but I will give you an update of how the switch to the 8x went and some brief impressions of it.

I salute the long line of early abandoned WP devices by T-Mobile....

Thelonelyhawk

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right thread or not but as far as any update for 810...living in the midwest, manually updated my phone and I recieved the data sense app. Hope this provides some useful news.:eek:rly:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right thread or not but as far as any update for 810...living in the midwest, manually updated my phone and I recieved the data sense app. Hope this provides some useful news.:eek:rly:

Glad you caught it, is there a reason why you didn't get it when T- Mobile first released it August 15th when Amber/GDR2 was sent OTA ?

Thelonelyhawk

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Didn't get the phone until October. I hope I answered your question. My thing is, from what I've been reading, I know T-Mobile has basically abandoned the 810 and wants nothing to do with it. So I can only assume that if and when they do send out updates, it'll be few and far between. I'm know I'm not alone when I say that Nokia & T-Mobile acted way too irrationally when they decided to EOL/EOP this phone.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't know where to even begin looking for the Amber/GDR2 update. If I had some incling I'd definitely try to do so. By the way, what does OTA mean?

# 1 On your phone you go to settings >system then scroll down to > phone update ....bingo
Lots of stuff there in settings and system open the headings and become familiar with them.
You should go to T Mobile .com and find out how to back up apps and settings and to make sure they repopulate after an update.
BTW "backup" is in system too.
OTA ( over the air) Wi-Fi is how you get an update usually.

If there is an update be sure you are familiar with the procedure.
Make sure you have a Microsoft account and apps and settings backed up to that account before you do an update.
It's all on T Mobile under support /Lumia 810

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't know where to even begin looking for the Amber/GDR2 update. If I had some incling I'd definitely try to do so. By the way, what does OTA mean?

mmm.... I'm a little torn about your post, but I'll take it at face value and answer it. Given all you said, now I wonder what you mean by manually update.

to the answer. OTA, means Over The Air, which means that you do not need to connect your phone up with your computer in order to get updates like we had to do with Windows Phone 7. The standard easy way to look for an update is to go to "Settings", then "Phone Update" and tap "Check for updates".

How do I update my phone software? | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Some people also update their phones with Nokia Care Suite. I have yet to do that myself, but it does allow for you to do things like potentially flash your phone with, lets say the international unbranded version of Windows Phone 8 for the 810. If you really had questions on that it would be good to search on "update with Nokia Care Suite" or someone else could answer your question.

(P.S. I'm waiting for the UPS tracking page to update and give me an expected delivery date, but I am hoping for Wednesday. I am excited about getting the HTC 8x and being back on WP 8 and updating to GDR 2. With luck GDR 3 for the 8x will hit T-Mobile quickly....)

EDIT: duh, I didn't see that PB_H already answered it.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC 8X on Wednesday, received the sim yesterday and switched my phone number over. I got several updates and so am running GDR 2 at this point. It's nice being back on WP8. I like having some of the WP8 exclusive apps like Redbox. For some reason Best Buy won't allow me to log in, and I am having the same Facebook integration issue that many others are having. I've installed the vast majority of the applications I wanted and have about nine gig free. That's the difference between a 16gb phone and our 810's. With as many applications I have installed I'd be starting to be a little concerned on the 810.

I do miss the vibrant AMOLED screen of the 810.

The HTC phone so far is decent and I hope I am not hit by some of the frequent issues like the sim card error or the soft touch corner wearing off (I already have an Incipio Feather case for it). I can't say how much I am looking forward to GDR 3....

If the 810 and the HTC 8x both get GDR 3 and 8.1, I will be very happy.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC 8X on Wednesday, received the sim yesterday and switched my phone number over. I got several updates and so am running GDR 2 at this point. It's nice being back on WP8. I like having some of the WP8 exclusive apps like Redbox. For some reason Best Buy won't allow me to log in, and I am having the same Facebook integration issue that many others are having. I've installed the vast majority of the applications I wanted and have about nine gig free. That's the difference between a 16gb phone and our 810's. With as many applications I have installed I'd be starting to be a little concerned on the 810.

I do miss the vibrant AMOLED screen of the 810.

The HTC phone so far is decent and I hope I am not hit by some of the frequent issues like the sim card error or the soft touch corner wearing off (I already have an Incipio Feather case for it). I can't say how much I am looking forward to GDR 3....

If the 810 and the HTC 8x both get GDR 3 and 8.1, I will be very happy.
if only AMOLED was a requirement on all windows phones that would be awesome :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss