08-14-2015 03:26 PM
1,549 ... 5354555657 ...
tools
    we will see when the next wave up updates hits and we will be stuck with the waiting game to see what lame excuse T-Mobile comes up with this
    That's funny, because they won't even go so far as to say ANYTHING about it, let alone a cheesy excuse.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-01-2014 05:50 PM
    I'm not claiming to speak the absolute truth or claim that I can't "reveal my sources". He's claiming that in essence it's from a confidential inside source, but he can't reveal this so called source. I just read it in tweets by Nokia Care on Twitter and recalled what I read in some of their conversations. It was also posted online (not the tweets) that Nokia let the 810 give up the ghost, it was posted several times in this thread early this year. He's not even saying where he heard it, AND no one is asking for names.
    It doesn't pass the smell test so I say NO MEAL ( apologies to Jay Leno)

Here is what was reported that Nokia said ( not a blog oops, my bad) ,

Bad news for T-Mobile customers who own the Lumia 810, as Nokia recently confirmed it will not offer other major upgrades for the smartphone beyond the Lumia Amber.
    T-Mobile Lumia 810 Will Not Receive Nokia Lumia Black Update
    The tweet(s) also back in mid January I'll look for, but I'm not spending a lifetime going back over hundreds of tweets by Nokia Care and those conversations that weren't a reply to a question I posted, but I'll give it a shot.

I haven't seen anything that supports "an inside source" or even actual quotes of the (unnamed) source let alone any hint of proof
    Yes, I see the article. I have enough questions about the process of how updates are done, ie does the carrier contract with the OEM to support the phone, or is supporting the phone entirely on the OEM, so that I don't really know how to respond to that article. My gut feeling is that at the end of the day I am still looking at the abandonment of the phone as T-Mobile's responsibility, even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth.

P.S. by the way, you have no credit with me....
    04-01-2014 05:54 PM
    Today is a great day to say they will support the 810. (April Fools, ha!) Honestly I'm just gnashing my teeth and thrashing about. I was happy we got amber, and honestly I didn't expect much beyond that. I am of course, disappointed and so on and so forth, yadda yadda yadda.

Regardless of update status, I'll just hold on to this thing a bit longer, and experience what symbian users experienced. A slow death of their beloved devices. In a few years time, this forum, and all our posts will slip into the darkness un-noticed. Maybe in a few million years a new age of man will find our 810s scattered about the earth, silent monoliths of a time long gone. They'll worship it, and y'know... 2001 Space Odyssey references.
    The 810 as tiny little monoliths like the one in "2001 A Space Odyssey" is one of the better and more imaginative references I've seen in a while...

congrats....
    04-01-2014 05:57 PM
    Yes, I see the article. I have enough questions about the process of how updates are done, ie does the carrier contract with the OEM to support the phone, or is supporting the phone entirely on the OEM, so that I don't really know how to respond to that article. My gut feeling is that at the end of the day I am still looking at the abandonment of the phone as T-Mobile's responsibility, even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth.

P.S. by the way, you have no credit with me....
    I'm not buying what you're selling so I don't need credit.
    BTW I'm not making a BS claim that what I read ( you can read what I read above) was from an "inside source"
    I could have pulled out that big lie ( if you look at other threads on this forum) that type of claim is universally dismissed as BS -except for a few gullible souls.

"even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth"
    I have a bridge I want to sell, really I own it.
    04-02-2014 12:23 PM
    I'm not buying what you're selling so I don't need credit.
    BTW I'm not making a BS claim that what I read ( you can read what I read above) was from an "inside source"
    I could have pulled out that big lie ( if you look at other threads on this forum) that type of claim is universally dismissed as BS -except for a few gullible souls.

"even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth"
    I have a bridge I want to sell, really I own it.
    Again, there is little in your opinion and decisions that carry weight with me, that "credit" is not selling something to you, it's faith in your opinion. So I pretty much discount your opinion right out of the gate. My original point about how all HTC 8x's have been updated to GDR3 with the exception of T-Mobile still stands. My overall impression is still whether or not you link to a news story where Nokia is stating that the 810 will not get Black does not conclusively mean that Nokia is responsible for that failure. The 810 is a carrier exclusive, and I expect that if T-Mobile wanted to support it they would have worked it out with Nokia to support it. My impression remains that T-Mobile is responsible for the lack of support and I continue to believe Guzzler, NDA or not, that his research shows T-Mobile as responsible. It simply makes sense.
    04-02-2014 01:34 PM
    I could care less if you like my opinion, the statement Nokia made in that link is more credible than "an inside source" with no collaboration.
    And what research ? -he didn't even provide a quote.
    A ____ is born every minute...apparently.

Peace-
    04-02-2014 02:13 PM
    Moron, the article is really just based upon the chart of update availability that Nokia has posted. Just because Nokia has Black listed on the site as unavailable does not mean they are responsible for that decision. That's like blaming the news agencies for reporting the news about an event or "shooting the messenger".
    04-02-2014 02:42 PM
    Just received the personal message from Lewbowski below.

"You want to be careful with personal attacks, that is worth a month ban, if you disagree or if you want to infer with a ______, fine, but name calling one pm to a mod and you're on vacation. Delete your name calling or I'm calling Dad It's up to you."

Given your original post "A fool is born every minute...", I'd say I am responding in kind.

You know I've been wondering why you're on this thread period. I've owned an 810, the T-Mobile HTC 8x and a T-Mobile HTC HD7 and have been posting on this thread since last April with my thoughts and feelings about the 810, T-Mobile's support style etc. I was thinking of reviewing your posts on this thread to see if you even have a 810 or have ever had one. You have no credit with me because your history on this thread has been one of snark. Do you think that you will withstand review of your posts?

Call "Dad" if you wish....
    04-02-2014 04:11 PM
    So far I see your first post is in January of this year. You post on 1/9 "who is John Legere?" People need to tell you that he's the CEO of T-Mobile. So again, why are you here and why should we take your pronouncements as meaning anything in particular?
    04-02-2014 04:24 PM
    Well, it looks like the 810 is not getting 8.1. Wow, what a surprise. After seeing the phones announced today, I wanted to drop the Note 3 but nevermind.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    04-02-2014 04:37 PM
    Well, it looks like the 810 is not getting 8.1. Wow, what a surprise. After seeing the phones announced today, I wanted to drop the Note 3 but nevermind.

Speaking of old timers to the thread, welcome back Dr_8820. Yea I'm with you, I think T-Mobile's done their typical abandon what we aren't currently selling stunt. I'm sad to hear though that the thought of all the 8.1 goodies isn't tempting you to get a new WP 8.1 device when the time comes..... Come on now, how can you resist? Isn't the 930 interesting?. I like the 930, but I'd like it a lot more if it had a SD Card slot. With an SD Card slot it would be damn near my ideal phone.

anyway, I do hope you end up coming back to the WP side at some point soon.....
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-02-2014 04:52 PM
    I never really left lol, the line that had the 810 now has my HD7, but most of us saw the writing on the wall a year ago when it was shafted. I am seriously considering AT&Fee...

04-02-2014 05:03 PM
    Bummer ...no cyan for the 810 :/ well time to look for a new phone after tmobile rolls out Their new 700mhz band
    04-02-2014 05:03 PM
    I never really left lol, the line that had the 810 now has my HD7, but most of us saw the writing on the wall a year ago when it was shafted. I am seriously considering AT&Fee...

Yea, you got that right. Given T-Mobile's history the writing on the wall was pretty clear. I jumped to AT&T a couple of months back when they had that $200 dollar switching bonus. I have to say I really love my Red 920. I also expect that AT&T will eventually release 8.1 for the 920 OTA. If not there's gonna be A LOT OF REALLY ANGRY AT&T 920 owners. I was paying $50 on T-Mobile with their 500mb Simple Value Plan, now I'm spending $59.00 including the cost of financing the phone at $11 a month. Unfortunately I only get 300mb of data, but I do have LTE. I was hoping that AT&T would increase the data allotment to compensate for T-Mobile's increase from 500mb to a gig, but no go.

I am absolutely sincere when I thank T-Mobile for some of their moves in the US carrier market as they did in fact increase competition and created a space for customers like me. I never could have tolerated AT&T prices before T-Mobile started making some of their policy changes, however T-Mobile just really destroyed my faith in their customer service by their crappy support of the WP devices they sold people. They have a LONG history of abandoning their WP devices as you well know....

(My HTC HD7 is sitting in my closet, it's going to be one of those keepsakes that I have around for years. I will never sell it. When I want to get rid of it, by that time no one would have any interest in buying it, so I'll just end up recycling it some years from now. It was my first WP device, it's gonna be a memento.)
    04-02-2014 05:22 PM
    I have a drawer full of defunct Microsoft devices. I'm not going to get deep into it and start a flame fest, but it looks like Microsoft hasn't still learned its lesson and AT&T will continue to get the marque devices, while T-Mobile continues to get WP devices and only push out 1 update and then forget about the phone.

sahib lopez likes this.
    04-02-2014 05:35 PM
    Bummer ...no cyan for the 810 :/ well time to look for a new phone after tmobile rolls out Their new 700mhz band
    Not true, there was at least one made and if you look closely it's not the wireless charging shell.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...Cyan+cover+810
    04-02-2014 05:44 PM
    Not true, there was at least one made and if you look closely it's not the wireless charging shell.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...Cyan+cover+810
    ehhhh I was referring to the update :P ...
    04-02-2014 05:46 PM
    Well, just as expected - no 8.1 for the 810, and probably none for the t-mo 8X. That's why I bit the bullet and now own an factory unlocked 8X & 925. AT&T's 920 customers will get 8.1, and probably their 820 consumers too. That's why it is better to buy unlocked.
    b23h and sahib lopez like this.
    04-02-2014 05:59 PM
    The only problem with buying unlocked is finding a phone that supports the T-Mobile bands, or you'll only get edge. I do know that T-Mobile didn't release the black update, and I find it hard to ever buy a Nokia again. I hope Sony makes a WP phone.

04-02-2014 06:24 PM
    The only problem with buying unlocked is finding a phone that supports the T-Mobile bands, or you'll only get edge. I do know that T-Mobile didn't release the black update, and I find it hard to ever buy a Nokia again. I hope Sony makes a WP phone.

Why did you turn anti-Nokia? If I remember correctly you've owned a lot of WP devices on T-Mobile that ended up getting abandoned. Both HTC and Nokia, but as you can tell, my tendency is to blame the carrier and not the OEM. Especially when there is such a freaking history of it with T-Mobile... I liked my HTC HD7, and I would love the styling if HTC came out with a HTC One type WP device, but at the end of the day I think I prefer Nokia's build quality rather than HTC. I do think that HTC is doing the right thing with their guarantee of support for two years, I think that's past due and should be an industry wide standard.

As far as Sony is concerned, I do own some Sony devices and have a certain trust in them. However their not exactly doing gangbusters themselves, they've spun off their PC division and I think they have or may spin off their TV division shortly. I'd have to check that, but their TV division is not doing super well either. God only knows how long they will be making phones. I wish Sony all the best, but Samsung and LG are hammering them.

EDIT- finally I'd have to say that jumping to Android in order to avoid missing out on updates is rather problematic. It's pretty much only the Nexus and Google Play devices that one can be sure will be updated. On the other hand, it is true that Android is significantly more feature mature than WP. However WP is advancing, and there's just no way in hell I am going to give up on WP at this time.

Come back..... come back to WP. the water's fine and getting warmer.... Come back....
    sahib lopez and Dr_8820 like this.
    04-02-2014 06:45 PM
    My problem with Nokia is that they, too, have abandoned the 810. They could have released the Black update without T-Mobile, after all, it still is a Nokia device, but they let T-Mobile make them look like fools. The #AskNokia page is filled with people asking why the 810 isn't getting updated, it's not just the few of us in this thread. Can you honestly recommend a Nokia after what happened to the 810? I can promise you that whatever WP T-Mobile gets will be mid range and only see 1 update. When Microsoft addresses that, I will gladly upgrade my HD7. I would've gladly got a 1520 instead of the Note 3, but once again Nokia went with the 1 carrier deal that we all know had been a huge success for them.

04-02-2014 08:23 PM

Simple, you get another carrier model that has the appropriate bands, AKA a Rogers model. It is interesting as in my area, I pull roughly the same speed on my Z Ultra (got the one with all 8 LTE bands) and the T-Mo 925. You still have to pay either way if you want to be free of t-mo. Is LTE nice? Sure, I love it when I use my Z Ultra, but H+ on my 8X and 925 is still good enough for me. Nokia won't do the N8/N9 stuff where it had all the radios in it because they're going through the carriers to move phones.
    04-02-2014 09:08 PM
    The HTC One has all the radios like the iPhone does. If they make a WP like that instead of a gimped Android knockoff, I'd give it a look.

04-02-2014 09:26 PM
    My problem with Nokia is that they, too, have abandoned the 810. They could have released the Black update without T-Mobile, after all, it still is a Nokia device, but they let T-Mobile make them look like fools. The #AskNokia page is filled with people asking why the 810 isn't getting updated, it's not just the few of us in this thread. Can you honestly recommend a Nokia after what happened to the 810? I can promise you that whatever WP T-Mobile gets will be mid range and only see 1 update. When Microsoft addresses that, I will gladly upgrade my HD7. I would've gladly got a 1520 instead of the Note 3, but once again Nokia went with the 1 carrier deal that we all know had been a huge success for them.

Had a long reply that got deleted and I don't fell like typing that over.

Simply put, if an exclusive carrier variant doesn't sell, it is death. T-mo contracted Nokia to make the 810, and in the contract to give them final say on updates. Phones are made in batches, so if the phone is popular, it gets reordered and the OEM can continue to provide support including carrier supported software.

Facts: the 925 sold more than the 810. The 521 certainly sold more than the 810, and probably the 925 too. So of course t-mo will order more from Nokia. The real person who screwed 810 users is MSFT by going OTA only for updates. At least under WP7, for carrier variants like the Focus S, you could go through Zune to get the update directly from MSFT. Nokia would happily support the 810, but money talks and if t-mo said it didn't sell, there's no reason to spend man hrs on it. Nokia cannot go against t-mo and release the update. That's breaking contract and t-mo would never buy phones from them.

That's the breaks, folks. That's why I cut my losses and ditched the 810. I would recommend Nokia, but carrier free if you can afford it.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-02-2014 09:31 PM
    All I can remember is someone saying last year that AT&T was a horrible WP partner, I think that distinction belongs to T-Mobile.

b23h likes this.
    04-02-2014 10:24 PM
1,549 ... 5354555657 ...