Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have had with GDR3 is every now and then, the volume will go back below 15 and if I increases it, I get high volume warning. Need to agree, then I can increase it. Its frustrating because it mainly happens when I'm in the car, and have the phone plugged into my head unit via the headphone jack.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have had with GDR3 is every now and then, the volume will go back below 15 and if I increases it, I get high volume warning. Need to agree, then I can increase it. Its frustrating because it mainly happens when I'm in the car, and have the phone plugged into my head unit via the headphone jack.

That's an odd behavior. I don't get that warning. I did have it once back in GDR1 and I agreed and didn't get it anymore. I have my volume normally set at 25 and sometimes lower it to 0 (because the silent mode doesn't work with some app notifications with sound). I also would hook up an earphone or speakers every now and then, changing the volume as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Leak – Nokia Lumia 929 powered by 2510mAh battery, to be released in December | Windows Phone Central

"Lumia 929 (EDIT) Should you require a friendly reminder, the device is expected to feature a 5-inch, 1080p display. This display will be joined by 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage and a Snapdragon 800 processor."

now that's a high end phone.... It looks like an upgraded 925

Actually, it is a version of the 1520, but with a smaller screen and no card slot. It is a real upgrade to the 928. T-mo won't get anything like that for a while because as we predicted here, they have too many unsold 925s.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I think wp8 on tmobile wont pick up UNTILL tmobile becomes the 2nd or even 1st largest carrier in the us :straight:

Then it will never happen.

Quarter 1, 2013
Verizon 116,750,000 subscribers
AT&T 107,250,000
Sprint 54,886,000
T Mobile 33,968,000

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Then it will never happen.

Quarter 1, 2013
Verizon 116,750,000 subscribers
AT&T 107,250,000
Sprint 54,886,000
T Mobile 33,968,000
and that is what I was trying to get at that :) not until T-Mobile becomes a large carrier then we will see more users on the network and thus a bigger possibility that customers ask for a windows phone.. but I can see my reasoning flawed because if my statement was true then Verizon would have most of the windows phone 8 users but its AT&T but then again it gets all the exclusives ...anyways .....I digress but simply put T-Mobile wont have much wp8 in their minds

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep, but something to consider... T-Mobile added a record 1.4 million subs (mobile phones) in Q3 2013... AT&T, Sprint and Verizon all LOST subs (mobile phones) in the same quarter. The only thing that saved the big 2 is that they had an increase in tablet and mobile device subs. That said, the reason that T-Mo won't have good devices is because of the AWS 1700/2100 radios that they need to get their 4G speeds across the country. AT&T can use and 850/900 quad-band world phone (no special radios needed) and Verizon has a sub base that is large enough to get companies to build them special devices (the Droid and the 928/929 for example).

What might end up leveling the playing field a bit is if the LTE data frequencies overlap enough to make just 3 radios work with every phone. If they could make a CDMA/GSM voice and LTE data device that would work on all 4 US carriers, it would be a truly dominant phone. Until then, Sprint and T-Mobile will get the scraps of the other two carriers. Of course, with T-Mo's pricing strategy, lower cost devices are at the forefront of their wants, not high end monsters. Look for the high end offering in an iPhone, Galaxy and maybe one other, but overall, I don't expect to see anything bigger than a 925 offering ($500 max off contract price) and a bunch more in the $100-200 like the Lumia 521, Alcatel Fierce and the Optimus F3... They reduce the risk that T-Mobile has of writing off handsets that don't stay on for the 20 months of payments as well as the cost of their inventory levels.

But back to the subject at hand... Lumia 810 and firmware updates... I'll message a friend and see if there is anything new on GDR3 timing and post back later...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would have been quite happy with the 925 given one caveat, so I am not making a straw man argument for "high end monsters". As they already had a 16gb 925 I wonder why they did not get a 32gb version as well? I am sure that a review of comments on this site and others will show that a sizeable percentage of people interested in the 925 were off put by the 16gb cap. I have every expectation that one of the reasons that the sales of the 925 were not as high as they could have been because a significant amount of the enthusiasts who normally would have gone for the 925 were hit by a contradiction in one of the phone's primary characteristics.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It seems like the difference between 16GB and 32GB is about $100... Spread over 20 months of payments it's only $5... but if that person bails on the plan and walks away with that "free" phone it ends up costing T-Mobile an extra $100... Its a sad but true thing...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
uh huh...

So a five hundred dollar phone, plus another five or ten bucks of memory becomes a six hundred dollar phone and that extra amount of memory brings the entire financing scenario up for question? No, I don't think so. A real answer would consist of something else...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Haven't checked in in a while...long story short, my 810 and HD2 were both stolen from me, leaving me with my broken HD7. T-Mobile wants $150 for a replacement for an EOL'd phone, or buy something else...as I much as I love WP and loathe Android, I might be getting the Note 3 today...Microsoft and T-Mobile need to get it together with the updates and high end phones only going to AT&T while T-Mobile basks in the sunlight of cheap, stripped down phones that don't get supported because they don't sell. If they can get their act together, I'll be more than happy to return to WP...good luck to everyone still holding down the fort, I hope you get the updates that you deserve.

(before AT&T is suggested, I'm not switching carriers just to get a good phone that won't be updated by AT&T)

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Haven't checked in in a while...long story short, my 810 and HD2 were both stolen from me, leaving me with my broken HD7. T-Mobile wants $150 for a replacement for an EOL'd phone, or buy something else...as I much as I love WP and loathe Android, I might be getting the Note 3 today...Microsoft and T-Mobile need to get it together with the updates and high end phones only going to AT&T while T-Mobile basks in the sunlight of cheap, stripped down phones that don't get supported because they don't sell. If they can get their act together, I'll be more than happy to return to WP...good luck to everyone still holding down the fort, I hope you get the updates that you deserve.

(before AT&T is suggested, I'm not switching carriers just to get a good phone that won't be updated by AT&T)

well now we know that the 810 is worth stealing :wink: ...but in all seriousness sad to here that they were stolen from you :/ and maybe by the time you return to windows phone 8 it will be better :D and I hope your note 3 serves you well

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Dr_8820. Sorry to hear about your stolen phones and that you may be leaving WP 8. Being frustrated at MS's slow pace at adding features or fixing problems is understandable. But much worse than that is being a WP person on T-Mobile and dealing with their fickle and uncommunicative behavior around updates. To make one more pitch for WP, you may be able to get the 521 for as little as $80 to tide you over. Or everyonce in a while CowBoom drops the price of a new HTC 8X to around $180. Of course with the 8X you will find yourself in the same EOL limbo with T -Mobile...

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If I were to leave WP (it's incredibly unlikely) I'd probably get a Motorola. I've owned a number of them in the past and before Google bought them I was hoping they would jump in with a WP device. They are fairly inexpensive and probably pretty well designed and built. With straight Android and being owned by Google you know they are going to be updated.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh that reminds me. Motorola's site crashed all day on Black Friday so I think they moved their sale to today and Saturday....

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
For most carriers, you are right. The problem is that T-Mo doesn't have an ETF on the plans, it's on the device. So, if I walk in, grab a new Galaxy Note 3 for $250 (T-Mobile is on the hook for $500 on that one), sell it two days later as "new" for $550 and cancel my plan, I am up $300 and back to my Lumia 810 on a prepaid plan. T-Mobile on the other hand is out $250 for that device and can only send me to collections to get their money back. Until I pay them, they are on the hook for that device at the full cost to them. It's much more economical for them to sell $300 phones that they pay $100-150 for than it is to sell $500-750 phones that they pay $300-500 for. I believe I read online that their price for their own Nexus 5 was actually MORE than the Google store price for end users because of the specialty software that was loaded. If that's the case, they give that away to someone, they walk away after the first month and T-Mo is out $400...

I understand that they may eventually get their money back from either the user or collections, but in the mean time, if 100 people do this, they are out $40,000... Since they added over a million subs last quarter, a 1% rate would be 1,000 people (if I did my math right) and that would equal $400,000 in phone losses. If they were writing off $50 handsets like the Lumia 521, they would only be writing off $50,000... That's a big difference.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

Would T-Mo replace it with the 925 or a refurb 810? It might be worth it to snag a 925... Or just grab one of the 521's on sale right now for $79...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb