08-14-2015 03:26 PM
1,549 ... 45678 ...
tools
    While I agree you on both ppints and share your belief, but the reality is that your perspective doesn't apply to 90% of phone buyers. They buy a phone for what it can do for them once they,leave the store, not what it can do 6-8 months from now. Carriers understand how people buy phones and that as long as you can provide what works for people at the time of purchase, that's all that matters.
    I still think that the typical customer is much more aware of OS issues that is being suggested. I expect the majority of the Android buyers are in fact aware of what version Android they are buying into, and would like to have it updated if possible. It is my understanding that updates with iOS is more or less automatic. And of course WP buyers are very aware of updates and we know that is one of the (apparently sometimes problematic) selling points of the OS.

It is in fact my belief that over the next several years we will see an intensified battle between the carriers and the general public, et al over updates (especially to Android). Microsoft would be wise to do everything in it's power to ensure that the carriers push out their updates.
    04-25-2013 08:12 PM
    I still think that the typical customer is much more aware of OS issues that is being suggested. I expect the majority of the Android buyers are in fact aware of what version Android they are buying into, and would like to have it updated if possible. It is my understanding that updates with iOS is more or less automatic. And of course WP buyers are very aware of updates and we know that is one of the (apparently sometimes problematic) selling points of the OS.

It is in fact my belief that over the next several years we will see an intensified battle between the carriers and the general public, et al over updates (especially to Android). Microsoft would be wise to do everything in it's power to ensure that the carriers push out their updates.
    Well, it is Apple that started to spoil consumers with more frequent updates. People paid attention to that mostly because the need was to jailbreak the early iPhones to use on other carriers. So of course people wanted to be sure they were on the right firmware. When Android started to get good (2.1 onwards), firmware updates became important because phones people liked started getting left behind with official support, devs as we know them today filled the void. Those are some of the key reasons why more folk may pay attention to updates. Still, my GF wouldn't have known or cared to update her Droid Binoic from Gingerbread to ICS to Jellybean, if I didn't show her that stuff. And even on JB, she misses Gingerbread because of the better battery life for her needs.

I agree that you'll see a greater push for adding OS software updates to the after care experience of carrier supported devices. Still, because carriers change inventory so much and are looking for the next hit that they will always look to not support unpopular models if they don't have to. That's why going for unlocked models is what I will do now that T-Mobile has refarmed their bands. Going the carrier supported variant route is setting oneself up for disappointment.
    04-25-2013 08:57 PM
    Still, because carriers change inventory so much and are looking for the next hit that they will always look to not support unpopular models if they don't have to. .
    "If they don't have to" That's the issue right there. The carriers themselves don't treat their customers with respect and honor, and no one is forcing the carriers to support the phones they sold as they should. Again, given the public can fight the cash the carriers will throw against the idea, I think there will be a move to fix this issue.

Just because the consumer bought a phone that didn't meet X target as desired by the carrier, should not mean that support for the phone will be lacking.
    04-25-2013 09:13 PM
    However there's a fair chance my bus just arrived...

The Washington State Attorney General just signed an agreement with T-Mobile over claims of deception in advertising.

Eligibility: All consumers who purchased telephone equipment from T-Mobile, under a contract requiring monthly payments for phone equipment and a wireless service plan, between March 26 and April 25, 2103 are eligible to:
    Cancel their service plans without being required to pay the remaining balance owing on their devices or telephones at the time of cancellation; and
    Obtain a refund of their down payment

there's more....

Settlement Refunds

Wash. Attorney General Exposes T-Mobile's Un-Carrier Claims

I'm going to give this a lot of thought as I bought my 810 on 4/1.
    ssapre likes this.
    04-25-2013 09:20 PM
    However there's a fair chance my bus just arrived...

The Washington State Attorney General just signed an agreement with T-Mobile over claims of deception in advertising.

Eligibility: All consumers who purchased telephone equipment from T-Mobile, under a contract requiring monthly payments for phone equipment and a wireless service plan, between March 26 and April 25, 2103 are eligible to:
    Cancel their service plans without being required to pay the remaining balance owing on their devices or telephones at the time of cancellation; and
    Obtain a refund of their down payment

there's more....

Settlement Refunds

Wash. Attorney General Exposes T-Mobile's Un-Carrier Claims

I'm going to give this a lot of thought as I bought my 810 on 4/1.
    Good for you. If you want to cancel, you should think about. I'm not as fortunate as as you as an early adopter. There is no honor in corporate, but I hope someone looks our for us 810 users.
    04-25-2013 10:11 PM
    So, loosely put, if you bought your phone in the last 30 days you can return it for the $0 down that was paid in? Um, sounds like a deal? I guess....
    04-26-2013 02:01 AM
    Man, I just realized that I REALLY need the new firmware that allows Storage Check to function. I'm getting close to 3 gb of "other" and can't clear it out, even with the other apps that say they can clear it.
    b23h likes this.
    04-26-2013 10:44 AM
    Yeah, I reset my phone to reclaim that space. But other is creeping up fast. I just ordered an unlocked 720. If it comes with storage check and the service on 1900 is decent, I'm selling the 810. I'm pretty fed up.
    04-26-2013 11:00 AM
    Yeah, I reset my phone to reclaim that space. But other is creeping up fast. I just ordered an unlocked 720. If it comes with storage check and the service on 1900 is decent, I'm selling the 810. I'm pretty fed up.
    Good luck with the 720. Would you do me a favor and let us know how the service is on 1900? I'm considering getting that unlocked Lumia 920 after all, and I'd rather spend less than more - of course, the ones with the 1700 band are pricier. :-/
    04-26-2013 11:57 AM
    Good luck with the 720. Would you do me a favor and let us know how the service is on 1900? I'm considering getting that unlocked Lumia 920 after all, and I'd rather spend less than more - of course, the ones with the 1700 band are pricier. :-/
    yeah, sure. I'm in the Phoenix area, so ymmv.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-26-2013 03:04 PM
    I know you felt you needed to do that, but the fact that you did need to do that is pretty absurd. I expect you have a memory card and all music/pictures/video are on the card. That means you had to reset due to just day to day use. I've only had my phone for a month and I do have a memory card set up as I mentioned, yet my other is at 2.4 gigs. I have 1.7 gigs free, and I have many of the applications that I would want to install installed, however a couple of big games and I'm out...

Yes, Storage Check is critical.

On a side issue, I called T-Mobile last night to request an unlock code for my old HTC HD7. The move to Simple Mobile would not even require that the phone be unlocked, but I do want to get it done. Today I got an e-mail from the Sim Unlock Department (quick response, but useless of course) stating that "this subscriber is not eligible to receive the unlock code at this time. In order to be eligible, the subscriber must complete 40 days of active service."

Uh huh.... Yes, true I've been on a post paid plan for less than forty days, however I was on the Monthly 4g plan for likely a year or more, and I transferred to the post paid plan directly from the Monthly 4g plan. Called customer service today who implied that when I changed the account type they lost the ability to track my earlier service with them. So clearly they would have a difficult time doing a length of service customer loyalty program like Boost does. Why am I not assigned something like a customer id so that account changes doesn't wipe out all data for me. THEY ARE EITHER INCOMPETENT OR JUST DON"T CARE (I hold out that the "or" is quite likely an inclusive or).

I'll get the unlock code in a week or so. I told the customer service person that I had spoke to today, saying "Do you know how that sounds?"

no mas T-Mobile para m.
    04-26-2013 03:08 PM
    (I hold out that the "or" is quite likely an inclusive or).
    They are both actually. When I went the same route, I got exactly same response. Being a tech guy, I understand what is "difference in the system" means, so if they say that pre-paid and post-paid are simply different dept / systems and they can not talk...thats just lame.
    04-26-2013 03:30 PM
    Yes, day to day use was getting annoying. Aside from the disappointment of not being able to install apps I wanted, everytime I launched an app that required significant data download, the low space message would keep popping up.

I want the catwalk and I almost talked myself into believing it was just around the corner. But, it's always longer than you want or think it will be. Plus, I'd rather buy it after it's been out for a couple months. Sometimes they run MIR promotions.
    04-26-2013 03:34 PM
    Is there anyway to request an unlock code without calling?
    04-26-2013 04:42 PM
    Is there anyway to request an unlock code without calling?
    That's a good question. I have never done it before. It looks as if you can pay to get one, it's probably like a key generator but based upon the model and IMEI. Personally, I can wait another week. I'm going to need to wait a little anyway, from the article about the Wash. Attorney General, T-Mobile will send out an e-mail to those eligible... Supposedly T-Mobile has 21 days to train their customer service representatives on the issue, and given their track record with me, I am not sure I want to be first.

I'm going to miss that beautiful screen, it is so much more vibrant than the HD7, will miss WP 8 as well. Will not miss reduced storage in 810 vs. HD7. Will be ecstatic to flip off T-Mobile in the rear view mirror. Will check out Catwalk's specs and price when it comes out, but will not use with T-Mobile. I usually do the same thing and do not like to buy things when they first come out, I often wait a while. I didn't get the HTC HD7 till just last May, so I don't mind buying something that is EOL. But hell, five months after release. That's absurd!!!
    04-26-2013 05:11 PM
    @b23h
    Actually you are correct in the Boost comparison, but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division... I would be like if you had taken a Boost number to Sprint and then asked for an unlock code. Both companies are Sprint owned, but they are separate entities. Frustrating yes, but it was a pretty accurate description by the service department... Not so much a good explanation of it, but a good stab at it... The basic problem is your 'Monthly 4G account' has one account number and your new 'Simple Choice account' has another. They are right though, once the number is ported, they can't pull up the old Monthly account. Of course, I'm more inclined to think that you are right with the second thought of that they just don't care right now, but that's why they have a new CEO, a new set of affordable plans and they are trying to change... The question is, can they?

@jgbstetson and Guzzler3
    It's no Storage Check, download the Phone Storage Cleaner App from the Store... It works wonders on the 810's minimal storage. I usually run it when I get to 3GB and end up with a max of 2GB and usually end up closer to 1.5GB when it is done. Also check for Apps that use up a to of other space - multiple email accounts with 14 day sync, Facebook, Twitter, Nokia Music (with offline stations), Nokia Maps (especially offline content), Amazon Kindle or other e-readers, and the number of contacts synced. All of these drop content in to the "other" folder. By keeping them to a minimum, you can keep more space clear.
    Phone Storage Cleanup | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

@metalchick719
    Good thought on the 1700 frequency thought, but the 920 doesn't have the same 1700MHz AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses in the international unlocked version. They are the international 1700MHz LTE bands that nobody here uses. Your best bet is to just get an unlocked AT&T one or purchase a factory unlocked one off Amazon or something. The 920 is still under AT&T exclusivity in the US, so the international version may be a bit lower cost short term.
    04-26-2013 06:36 PM
    @metalchick719
    Good thought on the 1700 frequency thought, but the 920 doesn't have the same 1700MHz AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses in the international unlocked version. They are the international 1700MHz LTE bands that nobody here uses. Your best bet is to just get an unlocked AT&T one or purchase a factory unlocked one off Amazon or something. The 920 is still under AT&T exclusivity in the US, so the international version may be a bit lower cost short term.
    Yeah, I've been considering getting an unlocked Rogers version. Since I've had my 810, I definitely don't want to go backwards and get anything less than 3G speeds. I'm definitely thinking of waiting until after the 928 and/or Catwalk arrive and the 920 is no longer considered exclusive. Thanks for the tips.
    04-26-2013 06:45 PM
    @b23h
    Actually you are correct in the Boost comparison, but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division... I would be like if you had taken a Boost number to Sprint and then asked for an unlock code. Both companies are Sprint owned, but they are separate entities. Frustrating yes, but it was a pretty accurate description by the service department... Not so much a good explanation of it, but a good stab at it... The basic problem is your 'Monthly 4G account' has one account number and your new 'Simple Choice account' has another. They are right though, once the number is ported, they can't pull up the old Monthly account. Of course, I'm more inclined to think that you are right with the second thought of that they just don't care right now, but that's why they have a new CEO, a new set of affordable plans and they are trying to change... The question is, can they?
    My question remains, why not assign a customer number, so that switching between the divisions doesn't result in losing all that data? Even if they are different divisions of the same company, if I were the CEO of T-Mobile I would have done everything in my power to avoid setting up a system like that. If I remembered correctly I did need to reset up my website account information, when I switched. Losing data on your customers, making it so one needs to redo the website even though you ported the same phone number from one division of T-Mobile to another division is not the way to design an internal system. To say that Boost is owned by Sprint is different that if Boost was an internal division of Sprint. I expect the prepaid is an internal division of T-Mobile. If I was setting up T-Mobile I would have needed to be absolutely forced into making decisions like those, and that I do not know is the case.

The way that T-Mobile has organized things from their internal computer system, call in phone system, and of course the industry standard customer service silence reeks to me of bad decisions and amateurish policy and praxis. Unfortunately I find good customer service is unusual, but I have found examples of such. A couple of days ago I wrote a paen to the customer service at Iris USA Shop's facebook page. In the end, just because something is commonly done does not mean it should be, or needs to be that way.
    Last edited by b23h; 04-26-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    04-26-2013 07:03 PM
    @b23h
    but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division...
    At the end of the day the entire problem is summarized right there, and the correct answer is no. No, the customer should not have to give that the slightest thought, a well organized internal system would make that often times infuriating statement unnecessary, as it should be.
    04-26-2013 07:33 PM
    Yeah, I've been considering getting an unlocked Rogers version. Since I've had my 810, I definitely don't want to go backwards and get anything less than 3G speeds. I'm definitely thinking of waiting until after the 928 and/or Catwalk arrive and the 920 is no longer considered exclusive. Thanks for the tips.
    The unlocked rogers version has the same speed as the 810 on aws.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-26-2013 11:54 PM
    So, loosely put, if you bought your phone in the last 30 days you can return it for the $0 down that was paid in? Um, sounds like a deal? I guess....
    You mean without losing a 50 dollar penalty for turning it in after 14 days, and without the tax on the entire cost that was paid up front (and with any luck without a activation charge that should not have been assessed anyway) and without paying off a phone that T-Mobile can't bring themselves to state "if/when" any support might be forthcoming. yea that's a deal and perfect timing at that....
    04-27-2013 12:12 AM
    I'm still following this thread, but rather than post here, I'm still tweeting everyday and still getting the run around...I laugh at the apologist and excuse makers...the 810 will not get the storage check firmware, you can get the app and side load it, but it doesn't work without the firmware update. Some of you who haven't had it long, return it! Those of us who are early adopters have a pretty cool looking paper weight.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-27-2013 08:59 AM
    This is just sad all around. I've got 57 apps that total less than 850MB. Only 12 apps run in the background constantly. Everything media wise is on my SD card. I only have 3 maps I need: NY,NJ and FL. Yet with keeping the phone so Spartan my Other is still more than my free space. I guess we aren't supposed to use the internal memory on this thing at all. I guess other WP8 users look at us and laugh.
    04-27-2013 09:27 AM
    @jgbstetson and Guzzler3
    It's no Storage Check, download the Phone Storage Cleaner App from the Store... It works wonders on the 810's minimal storage.
    Oh yea! It worked great! It made things WORSE, by increasing the size of "other". I couldn't be happier now, that I most likely will have to do a reset of the phone to reclaim the space.

And yes, I increased the lock screen time out to 5 min and touched the screen so it wouldn't time out.
    And yes, I rebooted the phone before and after.
    And yes, when the phone complained about running out of space, I pressed "continue".
    And yes, I ran it THREE times, just to make sure. Each time it grew the "other" size.
    04-27-2013 12:00 PM
    Those storage cleaning apps never helped me much. And I also tried the trick of adding as much music as you can to internal storage. Supposedly it starts to reclaim memory. Yeah, it didn't work any better than these storage apps.
    04-27-2013 12:05 PM
1,549 ... 45678 ...