Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Sahib,
I posted a step by step guide. Running GDR3 on my 810 now along with the Nokia Folder from the App Store. It is about 65% of the Lumia Black...better than nothing:)

I already did that to my 810 ;) what's the point of being a tech person if I don't do it to my own stuff first :p

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
So you really think Stephen Elop read your email ?
No, it was his assistant and he wouldn't have escalated it -he wouldn't have even read it.
And I'm sure he gonna tell you how to tether your phone. But flatter yourself if you like but
I do hope you get some answer for sure but you don't have his direct email and he didn't read it. :wink:

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
hello all, fellow disappointed 810 owner here...got it early 2013 only to be slapped with EOL a few months later. felt like the Not Available thing was T-Mo's final way of saying goodbye -.-
I'm hoping it turns around, but in the meantime, is there any way of forcing Black onto the phones? I remember back with WP7, some people over at XDA were making custom ROM flashes; my HTC Arrive acquired WP7.8 via one such update.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I sent the below email to Mr. Elop directly.

"Dear Mr. Elop,

I have a couple quick questions, if you have a minute:

I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, and now have a Lumia 810 to complement my 920. I'm trying to figure out if my 810 will receive the "Black" software update. Your website says on one page that the 810 is compatible; however, on another page, it says that it is not available for the 810. Not real clear--to me, anyway.

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
Availability in North America - Nokia

Also, any idea why I cannot tether my unlocked 920 on T-Mobile's network? T-Mobile tech support has given up trying to figure it out. They attribute it to my using an "unlocked" phone, and say that is that. Note, the reason I had to downgrade to an 810, was because of my need to tether.

Lastly, there has been a fair amount of concern/rumors that T-Mobile is not going to get/is not interested in getting high end Lumias. As a new customer of theirs, I sincerely hope this is not true, as I am anxiously awaiting a T-Moblie variant of the Lumia 1520.

Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Have you downloaded and ran the Nokia network configuration utility? My Lumia 900 would not work right with T-Mobile until I ran that utility.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
No, it was his assistant and he wouldn't have escalated it -he wouldn't have even read it.
And I'm sure he gonna tell you how to tether your phone. But flatter yourself if you like but
I do hope you get some answer for sure but you don't have his direct email and he didn't read it. :wink:

if enough people e-mail him regarding the same issue, it will get noticed.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Aren't you full of optimism...

Yes I do believe he read my email. It wasn't a "new" email I sent him. I actuality sent a reply to him from an email he responded to last year concerning my 920. Elop does read his own email. There are numerous examples on this forum.

http://www.windowscentral.com/searc...68605770:b6csmfpoywo&cof=FORID:11&sitesearch=

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you downloaded and ran the Nokia network configuration utility? My Lumia 900 would not work right with T-Mobile until I ran that utility.
Yeah, I tried that, and a lot more. Got close, I think, but finally hit a wall. I've been using the 810 for a couple weeks now, and I think I'm going to sell the 920 once T-Mobile gets a 152x. Other than no LTE, the 810 is a nice phone, and will be reasonable backup.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html

jdholland79

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I been feeling the same. the 810 being eol'd makes me look forward to the catwalk or whatever. But at same time, I just barely had my 810 5-6 months and feel abandoned. Although I have grown to love the phone, I wouldn't mind going back to my android days of custom roms and being able to provide support yourself if you needed to as far as updates went. I do not miss the random crashes and horrid battery life though.
I can only hope nokia/msft will keep supporting our phones.

/rant

Microsoft can and has bypassed carriers you can get the gdr3 update directly from Microsoft at least microsofts part of it the is update the firmware don't come with it but it gives you all the features that ms offers easy to sign up and get you phone updated I did it on my Nokia Lumia 521 I would like the black update but since I'm on a bring your own phone the Carrie don't actually do updates for my phone directly but at least I got me updated version of wp8 even if it don't come with nokias black update

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been on and off with T-Mobile for quite a few years. Mostly on except for a couple of years with Virgin. I've been a prepaid customer ninety five percent of the time.

I just can't stand how T-Mobile has treated its' WP customers. They drop support for WP devices left and right, it's disgusting. I no longer think that the 810 will get GDR3 let alone 8.1. I bet the HTC 8X will be in exactly the same situation, no official OTA release.

I will be very curious as to how long T-Mobile sells and supports the 925. I still think they could have repaired some of the ill will that we in the WP camp feel, if they had sold a 16gb and a 32gb version of the 925 for an extended period of time and sufficiently support it. But with no 32gb version that means a fair percentage of us enthusiasts avoided it.

I can't say how happy I am to be out of T-Mobile. I love my red 920 and am busy stuffing it. I've already got 20gb of apps and music (music at 320cbr mp3, that's my concession as I usually run lossless). I have every expectation that the 920 will get Black/GDR3 and 8.1. Hell the 920 will probably get everything for 36 months post release....

A few months from now I will pay off the phone and switch from the Next plan to the $60 Go phone plan. It will be ten dollars more than I was paying with T-Mobile but with 2gb of LTE/4g data instead of 500mb. I think I'll be fine with AT&T, now if only they weren't in bed with the NSA....

and I even get signal inside of buildings with AT&T....

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Aren't you full of optimism...

Yes I do believe he read my email. It wasn't a "new" email I sent him. I actuality sent a reply to him from an email he responded to last year concerning my 920. Elop does read his own email. There are numerous examples on this forum.

Search | Windows Phone Central

Well you wrote as tho' it was recent ( the below was on the 9th) and "he" expedited it (which according to you was the very same day the 9 th) , HE doesn't open his emails unless of course you have his personal account and no corporation publishes that and no CEO (when he was at NOKIA) does either, can you image all the request and rants a CEO would get?, an assistant reads emails addresses to "him" and sends ones that they seem worthy of reading to him possibly, usually the assistant just replies with his OK

Just sent an email to Elop asking for clarification of the 810 Black update "compatibility" on one page, vs "not available" on another.

Also a more general question about the concerns/rumors of high-end Lumias not coming to T-Mobile... Dated January 9

and you want us/me to believe that any corporation /CEO would not only read your email but expedite it the very same evening of the day you sent it ? So Elop read your email on the 9th "I just sent it" and that evening of the 9th the same day you sent it, the below happened ?

Elop escalated my "complaints."

I received a "Complaint Escalation" reply email from a customer care rep last night {meaning the 9th the same day that you "just sent it") that only said they were looking into my concerns, and would get back to me. The fact that I haven't received any sort of definitive answers yet, I actually consider good news.

Let us all know when a new Lumia comes out will ya ? :wink:

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well you wrote as tho' it was recent ( the below was on the 9th) and "he" expedited it (which according to you was the very same day the 9 th) , HE doesn't open his emails unless of course you have his personal account and no corporation publishes that and no CEO (when he was at NOKIA) does either, can you image all the request and rants a CEO would get?, an assistant reads emails addresses to "him" and sends ones that they seem worthy of reading to him possibly, usually the assistant just replies with his OK

and you want us/me to believe that any corporation /CEO would not only read your email but expedite it the very same evening of the day you sent it ? So Elop read your email on the 9th "I just sent it" and that evening of the 9th the same day you sent it, the below happened ?

Let us all know when a new Lumia comes out will ya ? :wink:
My god you are a whiner. I hope your mother takes your phone away.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
:smile:Well it's been interesting ride with the 810, but it's now retired. Tmob paid for the opt out of the two year contract I then upgraded to the 925 paid 150.00 up front to get 16 dollar payments. They sent the unlock code for the 810 so it's free to roam other carriers. Just happy I get FM and WiFi calling, now I just got to update the thing.

Update:
Well I got the dev preview loaded up after I let the phone update itself when first powered on. Everything went pretty smooth during the update process didn't have to to do weird things. After I got the tiles and such in order to my liking, the only thing left is to cram all of my video recordings into the phone. It's all HD stuff recorded from the TV. VS fashion show is most important along with my Simpsons vids.:smile: I hope I can live with the gimped storage. And hope MSFT will come out with a phone with SD slots and more internal storage, like I mentioned Skydrive is a joke for HD stuff.

Last edited:

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I sent the below email to Mr. Elop directly.

"Dear Mr. Elop,

I have a couple quick questions, if you have a minute:

I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, and now have a Lumia 810 to complement my 920. I'm trying to figure out if my 810 will receive the "Black" software update. Your website says on one page that the 810 is compatible; however, on another page, it says that it is not available for the 810. Not real clear--to me, anyway.

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
Availability in North America - Nokia

Also, any idea why I cannot tether my unlocked 920 on T-Mobile's network? T-Mobile tech support has given up trying to figure it out. They attribute it to my using an "unlocked" phone, and say that is that. Note, the reason I had to downgrade to an 810, was because of my need to tether.

Lastly, there has been a fair amount of concern/rumors that T-Mobile is not going to get/is not interested in getting high end Lumias. As a new customer of theirs, I sincerely hope this is not true, as I am anxiously awaiting a T-Moblie variant of the Lumia 1520.

Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Very briefly:

I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out.

She apologized about the 920 tethering issue, "things like that sometimes happen with unlocked phones." And was very interested in the rumors about T-Mobile being possibly not being interested in high-end Lumia (sounded very much like news to her).

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Very briefly:

I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out.

She apologized about the 920 tethering issue, "things like that sometimes happen with unlocked phones." And was very interested in the rumors about T-Mobile being possibly not being interested in high-end Lumia (sounded very much like news to her).
not questioning your response but most of the time we hear something from a rep .....they are usually wrong about these things ...but I do hope they are telling the truth and get the black update

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the 925 performed excellent in the field. FM radio works really good the phone in pocket is feathery lite. Compared to the 810 it's a feather in the wind. Only gripe is of course the gimped storage, when msft rolls out their new Line up all phones will have 3rd party mass storage support. Heck 64 gigs of internal still won't cut it in todays standards we need more space!

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Very briefly:

so we have 2 condictory issues here one says it was a mistake and the 810 should be getting the black update while this link says we are not ..... so looks like its going to be a wating game until the roll out begins in the US

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting by t-mo. I got a call from one of their reps because I gave them a bad score in terms of their WP offerings. The dude was pleasantly surprised at my knowledge. Didn't feel it necessary to rip them about their update policy but I had to lay into them to say their WP offerings are ****ty. Yes, the 925 nice and the 521 is a gangbuster, but their selection is still ****ty. Maybe t-mo may listen to their customers and offer more WP and support them better, but I doubt it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3