Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Im not saying all of the phones im talking more in general the nexus 4 at least it will be supported for a while.

The OEM Alliance for Android states that software support is good for 18 months, as long as your hardware supports it. You may get 24 months if its a Google supported phone (Nexus device). It may amount to 2-3 major versions of the OS.

MSFT has said that WP8 is good for 18 months of support. We will see how they handle phones like the 810 that get EOL'ed early.

Apple doesn't count because their phones don't get the full version of the updates of the OS because usually there is some physical hardware specific feature the older model doesn't have.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is what really annoys me, I've been tweeting all of them, Nokia and T-Mobile said "hang tight, a fix is coming!"...then EOL the phone instead...I'm actually speechless.

They did fix it. It's part of a "sweeping" update called "under the rug." On a more serious note. I do hope they'll allow firmware updates. I still kinda want FM.

Edit:

Here's a response from TMO from Facebook:

"EOL doesn't always mean that updates will stop. It does mean that the manufacturer is no longer producing it or we have chosen not to buy any additional units from them. -Keith"

So we can hold on to hope for now.

Last edited:

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Does tmo have a good record of supporting EOL'd devices? This is my first smartphone so I don't have anything to really compare it to. But the iPhone is consistently updated until the hardware cannot support it. It stinks. From a support standpoint, the iPhone seems like the best choice. And if these shenanigans continue, I can't see myself sticking it out with tmo or MSFT for a long time. Sucks though bc I love the metro/tiles look. Everyone around me had iPhones at dinner tonight and it reminded me how ugly those rows of icons looked. I would certainly miss my customizable home screen.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I terminated my Nokia 810 contract Friday, but because I have 2 additional lines, T-Mobile said Nokia has not released the SW fix to them. For whatever it's worth, I was given Nokia's number and was told to call them 1-866-665-4228...I guess I'll get a good laugh and call them later and report back...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As expected, Nokia said the updates are on the carrier. He did say that T-Mobile passed on an update because of problems, though I'm not sure if he was talking about the 710 or 810, since he mentioned both. My phone will be off in a few days, good luck to all and I hope you get a fix for the "other" storage issue which has made my phone unusable.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's just lovely. :-/ Here, we were all holding out on the hope that Nokia would take care of us even if T-Mobile refused to provide firmware updates to a phone they EOL'd. Swell...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So, if Microsoft doesn't count manufacturer firmware updates in their "18 month" support promise, then we're all boned because we'll never get anything and Microsoft can say "Well, we're giving everyone OUR platform updates. Go talk to Nokia for Nokia-specific stuff." Could be even worse if T-Mobile chooses to skip one of the major WP8 updates (aren't carriers allowed to skip one update?) - then we're all in the dark ages until next year with nothing from anyone.

I mean, if T-Mobile already passed on a Nokia-specific update, I don't see much hope for us. With a device they no longer sell, they're probably not going to even bother accepting Nokia's updates since they're not forced to - I'm convinced that first update was passed due to "problems" of them not wanting to spend time and money testing the update on a phone they don't care about.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Again, this B.S. makes me regret not getting an unlocked Lumia 920 when I had the chance. I figured the 810 would receive all the right support since it was being released on T-Mobile. Dare I say it even makes me want to revert back to my iPhone 4 just because I know I'll get continuous updates on that. Very sad because, like the rest of you, I really do love my Lumia 810. :unhappy:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's a real shame. Well, looks like I need to sell this bad boy and go back to the good old ways of getting unlocked phones. I may just wait until the 920 gets cheap enough and do that. It figures MSFT still hasn't grown any clout with the carriers...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It figures MSFT still hasn't grown any clout with the carriers...
The problem: Microsoft doesn't enforce any strings/restrictions on how their phones have to be updated

The reason: Microsoft can't enforce anything because the carriers would just pass on Windows Phone entirely. Why would they even bother? Everyone has the iPhone now and it makes them money (c'mon, lines outside every T-Mobile store for the iPhone??), and Android also seems to make everyone money. Windows Phone seems to make them SO much money that they decide to EOL a good device after just 5 months (then they replace it with the absolute cheapest one they can find).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem: Microsoft doesn't enforce any strings/restrictions on how their phones have to be updated

The reason: Microsoft can't enforce anything because the carriers would just pass on Windows Phone entirely. Why would they even bother? Everyone has the iPhone now and it makes them money (c'mon, lines outside every T-Mobile store for the iPhone??), and Android also seems to make everyone money. Windows Phone seems to make them SO much money that they decide to EOL a good device after just 5 months (then they replace it with the absolute cheapest one they can find).

That's the sad part too. Nothing has changed in WP8 is the message MSFT may end up sending with this, and that's a bad one. Yes, phones are becoming more common place in terms of affordability, but not everyone can afford to buy unlocked. That's why some go for the carrier subsided variants.

Only Nokia and T-Mobile know how many units of the 810 were sold. My gripe is that custom variants like the 810 are always at the mercy of the carrier and when they don't sell, those who bought the phone and are happy with it get screwed.

Note to self: always take anything from big corp with a grain of salt, especially a tech firm. I usually do, but bought my 810 because I liked the phone and was of the belief MSFT would still push through updates.

Shame on all us 810 users who bought the phone, eh?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
When I spoke to a T-Mobile rep trying to get the unlock code and was telling her about the SW fix that T-Mobile hasn't released and about the phone being EOL'd after only 5 months....she said "gee sir, you sure know alot about this phone..why did you buy it if you knew it had problems?" ...are you kidding me! I've had this thing since launch! Who buys something knowing it has problems? It's the same ole bull...Microsoft says it's Nokia who says it's T-Mobile, meanwhile we the people who actually bought this garbage phone gets screwed. I know I feel like a fool after buying the HD7 and T-Mobile shafting me with that.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I will be switching to the HTC one soon and giving my pops who travels back and forth to Vietnam, the 810, as obsolete as I think the 810 will be with no updates, would still fetch close to original msrp if sold out there. So my dad can use it until he wants something different.

HTC one will be nice until the rumored new pureview with the 808 41mp sensor comes out.

I like others regret not getting a 920 unlocked.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
They did fix it. It's part of a "sweeping" update called "under the rug." On a more serious note. I do hope they'll allow firmware updates. I still kinda want FM.

Edit:

Here's a response from TMO from Facebook:

"EOL doesn't always mean that updates will stop. It does mean that the manufacturer is no longer producing it or we have chosen not to buy any additional units from them. -Keith"

So we can hold on to hope for now.

Doesn't always mean is not the sort of clear and transparent communication I would want to have from a company who's EOL's a device five months after released. How about a clear statement that T-Mobile will support the phone for X amount of time. I just bought my 810 within the last month well within it's expected lifespan. So I will be paying two years for something that will be characterized as EOL for the entire time I am paying it off. This is not a matter that I should need to "hold on to hope for"! F#$%#$ that!! I expect a clear statement of policy from T-Mobile. Not something like I was begging for F%$@$# crumbs from the table!!!!

F#$%$#% HOPE! T-Mobile simply needs to support their product and state such.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss