Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
When I spoke to a T-Mobile rep trying to get the unlock code and was telling her about the SW fix that T-Mobile hasn't released and about the phone being EOL'd after only 5 months....she said "gee sir, you sure know alot about this phone..why did you buy it if you knew it had problems?" ...are you kidding me! I've had this thing since launch! Who buys something knowing it has problems? It's the same ole bull...Microsoft says it's Nokia who says it's T-Mobile, meanwhile we the people who actually bought this garbage phone gets screwed. I know I feel like a fool after buying the HD7 and T-Mobile shafting me with that.

Smooth customer service by that person. Yes, I can easily imagine being SUPER IRRITATED by a statement like that. How were you to know that T-Mobile was going to throw you overboard, then taunt you about "forgetting" your life raft....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This is the thread I started on the T-Mobile site. I think I am pretty clear that I am calling for a response from T-Mobile, in that they need to explicitly state if they are going to continue to work with Nokia in supporting and pushing out firmware updates for the 810. In the thread I am not alone in asking for an explicit response especially "wizkidwood" who just bought the phone and is apparently considering backing out. There is of yet no official response from T-Mobile or T-Mobile forum moderators.

Why is customer service so poor with so many companies? It's not just that the people answering the phone may be poorly paid and their nerves are worked by their irate customers, but why isn't a statement from the T-Mobile chain of command ready to go? Why doesn't T-Mobile realize that their customers have expectations that something they oftentimes just bought, should be supported and that we expect T-Mobile to say so. My judgment of companies that treat their customers like that is that the company is both incompetent and unethical.

I have no interest as to if every company is equally s***ty or equally opaque in their communications with their customers, it is still s***ty company policy and praxis. Why put up with it? I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!. Where is that freaking chair? Which F*@$%@@ window shall I smash?

Lumia 810 End of Life after about 5 months?? Support | T-Mobile

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Does tmo have a good record of supporting EOL'd devices? This is my first smartphone so I don't have anything to really compare it to. But the iPhone is consistently updated until the hardware cannot support it. It stinks. From a support standpoint, the iPhone seems like the best choice. And if these shenanigans continue, I can't see myself sticking it out with tmo or MSFT for a long time. Sucks though bc I love the metro/tiles look. Everyone around me had iPhones at dinner tonight and it reminded me how ugly those rows of icons looked. I would certainly miss my customizable home screen.

No.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So, if Microsoft doesn't count manufacturer firmware updates in their "18 month" support promise, then we're all boned because we'll never get anything and Microsoft can say "Well, we're giving everyone OUR platform updates. Go talk to Nokia for Nokia-specific stuff." Could be even worse if T-Mobile chooses to skip one of the major WP8 updates (aren't carriers allowed to skip one update?) - then we're all in the dark ages until next year with nothing from anyone.

I mean, if T-Mobile already passed on a Nokia-specific update, I don't see much hope for us. With a device they no longer sell, they're probably not going to even bother accepting Nokia's updates since they're not forced to - I'm convinced that first update was passed due to "problems" of them not wanting to spend time and money testing the update on a phone they don't care about.

Given that I was able to update my HTC HD7 to 7.8 without issue. Given that the Radar and the 710 were both denied getting the 7.8 update by T-Mobile. Given all that, the idea that T-Mobile simply won't put the effort or money into releasing updates for the 810 is a real question.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
jgbstetson just wrote this on the thread over at T-Mobile....

"I agree with all points here. The storage tool is a necessity. And in typical tmobile fashion, there is dead silence. Hellllo...anyone home? Your customers have a question! Take 5 minutes away from the iPhone and give us a definitive answer please."

Classic! Thank you jgbstetson! That's hilarious!

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
jgbstetson just wrote this on the thread over at T-Mobile....

"I agree with all points here. The storage tool is a necessity. And in typical tmobile fashion, there is dead silence. Hellllo...anyone home? Your customers have a question! Take 5 minutes away from the iPhone and give us a definitive answer please."

Classic! Thank you jgbstetson! That's hilarious!

when I first joined T-Mobile, their customer service was awesome. In fact, it was a major point of differentiation among carriers. Now I group WalMart and T-Mobile together as having the most uninformed customer service representatives. More often, I find myself asking if the ****ty support and mediocre devices are really worth the savings. Obviously, the answer is still yes, but that's not a trade study I want to be doing every time I see new bull**** from them. What is peace of mind worth?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
They're just waiting for Siri to answer the questions for them.

Siri will tell the to sell more iPhones that guaranteed the newest (albeit hardware matched) version of iOS to avoid that.
It's be nauseating the amount T-Mobile iPhone commercials since they announced the damn thing. Looks like T-Mobile is trying to answer this question:

"If we EOL the 810 in a forest of selling iPhones, do the voices of 810 users make enough noise to distract us from sucking from Apple's iBreast?"

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm at a point where I'm not surprised at T-Mobile's recent moves. They're in the business to make money. Still, no one wants to feel cast aside, especially with how hard some people work to buy a phone. Hell, the Titan 2 and Lumia 900 got longer shelf lives than the 810. That's just plain wrong, and what would twist the knife worse is seeing the 521 get more updates.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Funny enough, I keep seeing ads for the 810 from T-Mobile all over the place online, particularly when I'm on the main WPCentral page. A sick joke? :straight:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm at a point where I'm not surprised at T-Mobile's recent moves. They're in the business to make money. Still, no one wants to feel cast aside, especially with how hard some people work to buy a phone. Hell, the Titan 2 and Lumia 900 got longer shelf lives than the 810. That's just plain wrong, and what would twist the knife worse is seeing the 521 get more updates.

It's alright to make money, but as I understand it T-Mobile is afflicted with a fair amount of customer churn. I expect that if you treat your customers with respect, then you will make more money than if you do not. All they really need to do to satisfy a whole lot of us is to say, yes we "will work with Nokia to ensure that the 810 will continue to get firmware updates where necessary to fix issues and enable functions over a reasonable lifetime of the phone." We all bought the phone expecting that we would in fact be able to update to the next Microsoft OS update, whether they call that Blue, WP 8.1 or maybe WP9 and a lot of us are waiting for the Storage Check feature to come to the 810.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's alright to make money, but as I understand it T-Mobile is afflicted with a fair amount of customer churn. I expect that if you treat your customers with respect, then you will make more money than if you do not. All they really need to do to satisfy a whole lot of us is to say, yes we "will work with Nokia to ensure that the 810 will continue to get firmware updates where necessary to fix issues and enable functions over a reasonable lifetime of the phone." We all bought the phone expecting that we would in fact be able to update to the next Microsoft OS update, whether they call that Blue, WP 8.1 or maybe WP9 and a lot of us are waiting for the Storage Check feature to come to the 810.

indeed the money has stopped flowing from my wallet to devs because of the storage issue. MS, OEMs, and users all have a strong interest in this feature. Tmobile? It seems they don't.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. Can you imagine being a 710 user who didn't get 7.8, who then bought a 810 to watch it get EOL'ed? That would make anyone go nuts. Truth of the matter is that T-Mobile's gone to the toilet now. I liked their customer service, but it just isn't up to par anymore. I guess they fired most of the good reps,and replaced them with Android or iPhone selling drones who are trying to pay their own bills in their own right. Nokia and T-Mobile should step up and do the right thing, but all the 810 users will hear is that it is on the carrier, and T-Mobile won't do a damn thing because they're busy selling iPhones, Galaxy S4s and just enough Catwalks.

They doomed the 810 from the start by overpricing it. VZW and AT&T could sell the 822 & 820 for $50 on contract because they would be ingrained in your wallet for the monthly service. Unless you were really, really smitten by the 810, the 8X is a better buy with a $50 price difference between both. And, I betcha T-Mobile has the lowest selling figures of the 3 main US carriers selling WP8 phones. Then you spend the 1st 6 weeks trolling for accessories for the 810 which are overpriced and hard to come by. This phone was doomed to fail under those circumstances. Shame T-Mobile, you should have done better than that.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
My god this thread is full of over reactions. The 1308 firmware was rolled out worldwide but it was proven to have connectivity issues. The 1314 update that was created to fix these issues was just rolled out to att l920's last week or so. That update has not rolled out worldwide. I'd like to wait until we get passed by a major update or a significant amount of time passes and we don't have the update. The 822, the best selling Lumia in the u.s hasn't gotten either firmware update. We don't know what eol means for support so we can all chill out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro