Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My god this thread is full of over reactions. The 1308 firmware was rolled out worldwide but it was proven to have connectivity issues. The 1314 update that was created to fix these issues was just rolled out to att l920's last week or so. That update has not rolled out worldwide. I'd like to wait until we get passed by a major update or a significant amount of time passes and we don't have the update. The 822, the best selling Lumia in the u.s hasn't gotten either firmware update. We don't know what eol means for support so we can all chill out.
Being active on the internet, when I first started out, I felt just like you....but then I realized something...go to the Nokia Lumia 920 threads...some people were complaining that the buttons on the bottom were yellowish instead of white! Bottom line, people pay for things and expect things...I can't tell people what they should feel about what they purchased...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My god this thread is full of over reactions. The 1308 firmware was rolled out worldwide but it was proven to have connectivity issues. The 1314 update that was created to fix these issues was just rolled out to att l920's last week or so. That update has not rolled out worldwide. I'd like to wait until we get passed by a major update or a significant amount of time passes and we don't have the update. The 822, the best selling Lumia in the u.s hasn't gotten either firmware update. We don't know what eol means for support so we can all chill out.

Um, where were you when they EOL'ed both the Focus S and Titan on AT&T? Ask Titan 2 owners if they've gotten 7.8 without using the Seventy Eight tool? You know what the Titan 2, Focus S and Lumia 810 have in common: they're carrier specific variants - mostly US ones. I know a few Aussie carriers got the Titan 2 and Focus S, but T-Mobile has the 810 only. So forgive us for speculating whether or not our 810 that many of us worked so hard to pay for and then go trolling for weeks at launch for accessories doesn't get thrown in the scrap heap so T-Mobile can go sell iPhones, Catwalks and S4s.

The 820 and 822 are fine, because there are no plans on either AT&T or Verizon to replace them with a cheaper model, so that argument of the 822 not getting the latest firmware doesn't hold weight. Besides the 822 has 16GB internal, so they have a bit more latitude space wise than us.

Out point is that with Nokia pushing the Catwalk and EOS and whatever else that's coming down the pipeline, how likely is it that outside of the major software releases (that could be a maybe) we see ANY tweaking from Nokia with the same level of veracity as we did when the 810 was in the supported loop? Early adopters would tell you that you didn't hear much problems with the 810 for the portico update because we didn't have very many.

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
He suspiciously sounds like a paid Nokia, Microsoft or T-Mobile flunkie...the newer update just went global, an article about it appears in the news...I can't link from the wpcentral app.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I can imagine that happened to a number of people and I would be very unhappy in that circumstance.

I'd go put my foot in someone if that happened to me, honestly - probably Elop if I could get a hold of him.

I look at all the Lumias out now for WP8 and while I get what Nokia was thinking, you could have dropped the 520 completely and made the 620 cheaper by cutting corners. That would push down the cost of the 720 as well. They could have made the 822 variant the standard for the 820 with 16GB internal on a smaller battery and made the 920 with a slightly bigger battery and 32GB available to the user.
As the premier partner, AT&T doesn't lose. They can sell the Catwalk @$100, drop the 920 to maybe $50 and put the 820 @ free and still pull good sales. VZW could put the Catwalk at $200, the 8X at $100 and the leave the 822 where it's at and still do fine. T-Mobile has to kill the 810 for a 521 that's easier for them to buy and sell for free, just to keep up. Says alot, doesn't it?

Personally, if they had offered the 720 on T-Mobile instead of the 810, maybe that would have sold better, allowing a better price difference between the 8X and itself. But they KNEW they were getting the Catwalk anyways and decided to sell the stepchild 810 for 6 months...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to wait until we get passed by a major update or a significant amount of time passes and we don't have the update. The 822, the best selling Lumia in the u.s hasn't gotten either firmware update. We don't know what eol means for support so we can all chill out.
Let's do a thought experiment. Let's pretend that we did not yet buy an 810 and we were aware that it is EOL and we were aware of T-Mobile's history with the Lumia 710 or the HTC Radar. Would you buy the 810 and simply hope that it might get supported? I wouldn't, nor would I think it would be wise to do. By the sweep of a pen the likelihood that the 810 will be well supported through the next couple of years becomes a very problematic idea. I for one cannot simply just buy Catwalk when it comes out in the next few months, I am going to be paying this $360 dollars over the next two years, and I feel badly for those that might have bought it outright for $450 or $500 as I was contemplating at one point.

My main point is what type of company would have people "wait and see" if it gets support or not. If I was T-Mobile I would be very explicit with customers for two reasons, one to build good will with my customers and two, to make sure that I was able to sell through the supply that still remained in the channel.

The vast majority of us just want a meaningful statement from T-Mobile that the phone will be supported. A tweet like "We still support the 810. :) ^AB" is a step forward, but not exactly a well defined policy and given T-Mobile's sketchy history of support for "older" WP devices, I hope you forgive us if we are a bit concerned that something that was just released five months ago is now EOL.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd go put my foot in someone if that happened to me, honestly - probably Elop if I could get a hold of him.

I tend to think that Nokia had very little to do with this decision to EOL the 810. Nokia would likely happily made as many 810's that T-Mobile would buy. This is T-Mobile's decision and the way to resolve the dilemma is very simple. T-Mobile should state that they will support the 810 and give us a likely timeline for that support.

If I were to buy a motherboard from a company I would expect that within a reasonable period of time the company would provide bios updates for their product. I usually buy Asus motherboards. Because I have always seen them support their motherboards for a reasonable amount of time, they have my trust. T-Mobile has not earned the same level of trust from me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Let's do a thought experiment. Let's pretend that we did not yet buy an 810 and we were aware that it is EOL and we were aware of T-Mobile's history with the Lumia 710 or the HTC Radar. Would you buy the 810 and simply hope that it might get supported? I wouldn't, nor would I think it would be wise to do. By the sweep of a pen the likelihood that the 810 will be well supported through the next couple of years becomes a very problematic idea. I for one cannot simply just buy Catwalk when it comes out in the next few months, I am going to be paying this $360 dollars over the next two years, and I feel badly for those that might have bought it outright for $450 or $500 as I was contemplating at one point.

My main point is what type of company would have people "wait and see" if it gets support or not. If I was T-Mobile I would be very explicit with customers for two reasons, one to build good will with my customers and two, to make sure that I was able to sell through the supply that still remained in the channel.

The vast majority of us just want a meaningful statement from T-Mobile that the phone will be supported. A tweet like "We still support the 810. :) ^AB" is a step forward, but not exactly a well defined policy and given T-Mobile's sketchy history of support for "older" WP devices, I hope you forgive us if we are a bit concerned that something that was just released five months ago is now EOL.

I got mine 1 week after launch. $100 down and the rest for the next 2 years. If i knew they'd EOL it MAYBE I would have gotten mine during the promo where I got the Purity ear buds for free, or I would have simply bought a ATIV S or 920, which were my #2 and #1 choices from the available options out for Gen 1 WP8. The 8X was #4 on my list and not a feasible option as I carry a ton of music around and shoot a lot of pictures and want to take even more video clips. So 16GB doesn't cut it on my G. Nexus, and it doesn't on the 8X either for my needs. I bought the 810 because it was #3 on my list.

I'm all but stuck with my 810. I bought OEM spare battery, from a VZW store no less because T-Mobile didn't carry (and probably never did) the battery (822 uses same unit as the 810), T-Mobile case because no cases where available on Amazon until January, and the wireless charging plate - which was almost as hard to get as the Ativ S. If I try and sell this all back, I cannot even get $350 used, as pristine as I keep my phones.

The issue isn't about the phone itself. It's a very good phone. The issue is that nowadays people buying a phone expect support because that's what the OEMs are selling now to differentiate themselves. When you have such a custom carrier variant like the 810, it does leave it T-Mobile's hands to look after the few bought it. I don't care if I don't get the updates as frequently as the 920. I care that I will get the updates. I don't want MSFT to push through some $#%! and have the same problems that the 920 did with the last firmware. I want it done the right way. Sadly, I don't think T-Mobile will do the right thing because they're attached to the iBreast of Apple and will only come up for a break to sell Galaxy S4s.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

1. Tmobile said they still support the phone

T-Mobile USA ‏@TMobileHelp
    We still support the 810. :) ^AB

My first thought when I saw that was "Business speak". Yes, they will support the 810, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will support it in the way we are thinking of. "Support" is not necessarily testing and passing along firmware updates from Nokia and new accessories. If you call in, I'm sure you will still get technical support for your phone. If you need an exchange, well, they'll find an "equivalent" phone to replace it with... probably a Lumia 521 (ha!). At the very least, we can hope that "Support" means major updates from Microsoft, and we can hope that's a mandate passed down from Microsoft that will be actively enforced.

I feel badly for those that might have bought it outright for $450 or $500 as I was contemplating at one point.
Ugh, that kind of hurts. As a 30th birthday present, I was gifted any phone I wanted at any price... I didn't want to deal with unlocked 920 hassles on Tmo so I chose the 810 for $450 at the MS Store. I saved my upgrade actually in hopes a new Windows Phone would come out in the summer. Then T-Mobile came along and threw away phone upgrades (and my plan that used to have upgrades costs the exact same as the new plans are now, so I'm literally paying more if I add a phone now, and 3rd party retailers don't see my old data plan so would strip my data allowance down if I upgraded elsewhere). Feeling kinda screwed over right now. I did get the 2 year warranty from the Microsoft Store though.... once they run out of stock, I wonder if THEY would see the Catwalk as a worthy replacement?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
@b23h...been reading the thread at T-Mobile...spot on! I know some people will read this thread and think we're panicked about nothing, that our phones mysteriously stopped working because it was EOL'd, when in fact, they stopped working correctly a long time ago. If you have 8GB, the system apps are 1.90, your installed apps barely tip a GB..but 4.46GB is in other storage and you can't even update because of low memory and have to keep deleting apps or hard resetting...then tweet Windows Phone support, who tells you to tweet Nokia, who tells you to tweet T-Mobile, who says we're done with that phone, but you can trade it in for $45 towards a new phone...I mean, really?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
WP8...made for each of us, except for those who get stuck with an EOL model. b23h, the T-Mobile forum is point. We were tossed aside, and the saddest thing is everyone else is too busy using their other devices to see this.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h...been reading the thread at T-Mobile...spot on! I know some people will read this thread and think we're panicked about nothing, that our phones mysteriously stopped working because it was EOL'd, when in fact, they stopped working correctly a long time ago. If you have 8GB, the system apps are 1.90, your installed apps barely tip a GB..but 4.46GB is in other storage and you can't even update because of low memory and have to keep deleting apps or hard resetting...then tweet Windows Phone support, who tells you to tweet Nokia, who tells you to tweet T-Mobile, who says we're done with that phone, but you can trade it in for $45 towards a new phone...I mean, really?

Thanks! Yes it is clear that phones with eight gig of internal memory (even if you have a memory card like I do and keep all music and pictures on the card) is not really enough for anyone other than a light user. Given that it is my understanding that Nokia is including the Storage Check feature on all new phones. So yes, that is a required update for normal day to day use of the 810. The idea that you would have to hard reset or keep a skeleton crew of apps is fairly absurd for a phone that retailed at $500. I am of course not saying that there is no limit to apps one can install or that the Storage Check will certainly cure all ails, but it is a necessary tool.

Yes, I've noticed that merry go round of support, to where everyone is pointing at the other and that is why I am concerned. I expect that the primary cause for concern is T-Mobile, followed by Nokia. I expect that MS does not focus on a particular model, but that is the OEM's job and that is why the firmware updates are coming from Nokia.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to imagine we'll get all the firmware updates when we get to 8.1. If not... I'm hoping for a workaround.

I simply want two major things. One a firmware update to enable Storage Check as soon as possible.
Two assurances that if WP 8.1 needs firmware updates for the 810, then those firmware updates will be supported and released.

Even WP 8.1 is expected this summer. My hopes and expectations are not about two years from now, I expect that we will be screwed in the long term. My hopes is that T-Mobile will find it in the milk of human kindness to support the phone enough so that we can get over the big hurdle this summer.

It's pretty irritating that we cannot just expect good customer service.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my HTC one today. As much as I love my 810. The idea that its value is diminished because it is eol'd and the uncertainty whether we will get updates or not is unsettling.

rather than risk sticking with a phone that will fall behind its counterparts, I'll make the switch and wait to see how the catwalk is, or keep hoping the rumored pureview with the 808 sensor comes out later in the year. I love Nokia and I am sad I have to part with the 810, but if I ever want another 810. I can probably find one for sub200$~ lol

Once again kicking myself for not buying an unlocked 920

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ I actually bought one from Rogers the day this news was released unofficially. First we were not getting updates on time anyways and now the eol news. I was kinda fed up of waiting for the 1308 and other storage cleaner update. I loved this phone but I guess it has to go on craigslist soon if nothing is announced about the future of this phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would like to get a Windows 8 tablet, not that RT $%&#, and resolving how I feel about the platform is one of the things that's holding me back. What some readers fail to understand is MSFT has always done something in the past to "justifiably shaft" users. I'm no different than people here who would like updates, especially since they plunked down the cash they did for a capable device that fit their needs. I betcha if this was the 920 that got EOL'ed heads would roll. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb