Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
a quick side question... What do people know about Straight Talk here in the states. I understand that T-Mobile phones will work on it, and that it is possible to get HSPA+ speeds. Is that the case?? Does anyone use them? How is their customer service??

I quit my job about a month and a half ago. I am hoping to get another job shortly. I expect that once I do, I will pay off the 810. If I understand correctly, I can then get an unlock code from T-Mobile? Then I can jump ship.

I already had a poor experience with T-Mobile about six months ago. I was on their month 4g plan. I tried to renew my monthly payment online, but the website was so sketchy at that moment that I double paid. I then call customer service and find that it is very difficult to talk to someone in the monthly 4g program about having one of those payments cancelled. Twice I end up having conversations with representatives and tell them that I cannot get in contact with a human to speak to so that I can resolve the situation. I tell the representatives I've already gone through the automated phone line and cannot speak to a representative through that part of the system, only to have the representative transfer me back to the automated system. I was livid.

The representatives also had a tendency to want to check identification immediately even before getting the customer to summarize the issue to verify the representative could even resolve the problem. That's not how I'd script my customer service people. Introduce self/state that in order to verify that I can assist or transfer as necessary, please tell me how I can help you/go through identification process if can assist or transfer to appropriate department.

Even if I am not on T-Mobile, the 810 should be able to get whatever firmware and updates that the T-Mobile locked phone would get??

Have I made any errors? Any suggestions or comments?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
b23h - I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read that Straight Talk's customer service isn't that great (I believe I read something to that extent right from this forum). Maybe you might want to look into Simple Mobile? They also piggyback off of T-Mobile's network, from what I understand.

I wouldn't count on the 810 getting the firmware we need, even if you got it unlocked. That's probably a great likelihood with a factory unlocked WP such as the numerous 920s I keep seeing around the web, but I'm doubting it would be possible with the 810. :straight:

Also, if you paid your T-Mo bill online and accidentally paid double your amount, the next time you pay, you can reduce your payment in half. Just type in the amount you'll be paying. They shouldn't be double-charging you if you paid twice your normal fee. It sucks that you've had such a poor experience with their customer service. I went through a period of frustration with their customer service in the first quarter of 2011 when I lost 300 of my 800 texts that were part of my plan at the time and then when my data suddenly vanished for a couple of weeks...but other than that, I've never had any issues with T-Mobile's customer service. I do feel your pain, though, especially now with the 810 EOL situation. Sucks.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
b23h - I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read that Straight Talk's customer service isn't that great (I believe I read something to that extent right from this forum). Maybe you might want to look into Simple Mobile? They also piggyback off of T-Mobile's network, from what I understand.

I wouldn't count on the 810 getting the firmware we need, even if you got it unlocked. That's probably a great likelihood with a factory unlocked WP such as the numerous 920s I keep seeing around the web, but I'm doubting it would be possible with the 810. :straight:

Also, if you paid your T-Mo bill online and accidentally paid double your amount, the next time you pay, you can reduce your payment in half. Just type in the amount you'll be paying. They shouldn't be double-charging you if you paid twice your normal fee. It sucks that you've had such a poor experience with their customer service. I went through a period of frustration with their customer service in the first quarter of 2011 when I lost 300 of my 800 texts that were part of my plan at the time and then when my data suddenly vanished for a couple of weeks...but other than that, I've never had any issues with T-Mobile's customer service. I do feel your pain, though, especially now with the 810 EOL situation. Sucks.

Simple Mobile, I forgot about them. Thank you for the heads up. ST looks like $45, with SM at $40. Nice. I don't use a lot of data, and where I live now, I only get 2g anyway.

Yea, given I ended up never being able to actually resolve the situation I simply did not pay the following month, as I had double paid the prior month. But the experience was very painful, and I got a sense for how they organized their phone system and trained their people, and was not impressed. The experience on the forum gives me a similar impression. There is a fair possibility that the customer service paradigm is poor industry wide, however I know that I am not impressed with T-Mobile.

thanks for the information about Simple Mobile.......

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Your right, I would not expect any different firmware or OS support off of T-Mobile's network than on it. Our phone is a variant, and we as consumers will likely have to pay for T-Mobile's lack of honor in supporting what they sold and for T-Mobile's strategic moves that brought them to EOL it. I do not think that the consumer should need to worry about how much profit T-Mobile made on the phone.

The phones we buy should be warrantied for not only manufacturing defects but also firmware/OS support for a set period of time.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I do not think that the consumer should need to worry about how much profit T-Mobile made on the phone.

The phones we buy should be warrantied for not only manufacturing defects but also firmware/OS support for a set period of time.

While I agree you on both ppints and share your belief, but the reality is that your perspective doesn't apply to 90% of phone buyers. They buy a phone for what it can do for them once they,leave the store, not what it can do 6-8 months from now. Carriers understand how people buy phones and that as long as you can provide what works for people at the time of purchase, that's all that matters. Look at HTC. For years, their hardware has been good, but their software support is full of $%#! You want hasn't helped them, they used to make carrier phones and have kept that subservience to the carriers in their philosophy. The 8X and One are the first phones to break that philosophy. Remember, Nokia was a OEM like RIM and Apple - total control of the OS, hardware and software wise. So they used to could negotiate directly with the carrier on updates and such. Nokia has always done better in Europe and Asia than the US. Now that Nokia uses WP, they have less say in the US...because it's MSFT'S OS, they walk into the carriers having to deal with MSFT'S baggage in the deals. So since Nokia was restructuring, they're taking MSFT's cash and working with those mandates -including making US market a priority. That's why AT&T Lumias have gotten the updates first - AT&T is the premier partner. That's why Nokia signed exclusives - MSFT'S brand was too damaged in mobile consumers eyes do Nokia needed to get back mindshare ASAP.

T-Mobile is #2 in the US WP food chain, soon to be #3 once Catwalk hits VZW. I'm sure that WP sales by carrier in the US are AT&T, VZW and T-Mobile. So T-Mobile made a calculated risk to buy phones they think they can sell like the 521. This is why you have to shop around as a consumer and figure out what works for you. Sometimes you pick a device that is good but doesn't sell overall and you get screwed.

I'm hopeful we still get support, but i doubt it. It means I may either switch and get a more popular WP8 model on T-Mobile or go unlocked.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
While I agree you on both ppints and share your belief, but the reality is that your perspective doesn't apply to 90% of phone buyers. They buy a phone for what it can do for them once they,leave the store, not what it can do 6-8 months from now. Carriers understand how people buy phones and that as long as you can provide what works for people at the time of purchase, that's all that matters.

I still think that the typical customer is much more aware of OS issues that is being suggested. I expect the majority of the Android buyers are in fact aware of what version Android they are buying into, and would like to have it updated if possible. It is my understanding that updates with iOS is more or less automatic. And of course WP buyers are very aware of updates and we know that is one of the (apparently sometimes problematic) selling points of the OS.

It is in fact my belief that over the next several years we will see an intensified battle between the carriers and the general public, et al over updates (especially to Android). Microsoft would be wise to do everything in it's power to ensure that the carriers push out their updates.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I still think that the typical customer is much more aware of OS issues that is being suggested. I expect the majority of the Android buyers are in fact aware of what version Android they are buying into, and would like to have it updated if possible. It is my understanding that updates with iOS is more or less automatic. And of course WP buyers are very aware of updates and we know that is one of the (apparently sometimes problematic) selling points of the OS.

It is in fact my belief that over the next several years we will see an intensified battle between the carriers and the general public, et al over updates (especially to Android). Microsoft would be wise to do everything in it's power to ensure that the carriers push out their updates.

Well, it is Apple that started to spoil consumers with more frequent updates. People paid attention to that mostly because the need was to jailbreak the early iPhones to use on other carriers. So of course people wanted to be sure they were on the right firmware. When Android started to get good (2.1 onwards), firmware updates became important because phones people liked started getting left behind with official support, devs as we know them today filled the void. Those are some of the key reasons why more folk may pay attention to updates. Still, my GF wouldn't have known or cared to update her Droid Binoic from Gingerbread to ICS to Jellybean, if I didn't show her that stuff. And even on JB, she misses Gingerbread because of the better battery life for her needs.

I agree that you'll see a greater push for adding OS software updates to the after care experience of carrier supported devices. Still, because carriers change inventory so much and are looking for the next hit that they will always look to not support unpopular models if they don't have to. That's why going for unlocked models is what I will do now that T-Mobile has refarmed their bands. Going the carrier supported variant route is setting oneself up for disappointment.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Still, because carriers change inventory so much and are looking for the next hit that they will always look to not support unpopular models if they don't have to. .

"If they don't have to" That's the issue right there. The carriers themselves don't treat their customers with respect and honor, and no one is forcing the carriers to support the phones they sold as they should. Again, given the public can fight the cash the carriers will throw against the idea, I think there will be a move to fix this issue.

Just because the consumer bought a phone that didn't meet X target as desired by the carrier, should not mean that support for the phone will be lacking.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
However there's a fair chance my bus just arrived...

The Washington State Attorney General just signed an agreement with T-Mobile over claims of deception in advertising.

Eligibility: All consumers who purchased telephone equipment from T-Mobile, under a contract requiring monthly payments for phone equipment and a wireless service plan, between March 26 and April 25, 2103 are eligible to:
Cancel their service plans without being required to pay the remaining balance owing on their devices or telephones at the time of cancellation; and
Obtain a refund of their down payment​

there's more....

Settlement Refunds

Wash. Attorney General Exposes T-Mobile's Un-Carrier Claims

I'm going to give this a lot of thought as I bought my 810 on 4/1.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
However there's a fair chance my bus just arrived...

The Washington State Attorney General just signed an agreement with T-Mobile over claims of deception in advertising.

Eligibility: All consumers who purchased telephone equipment from T-Mobile, under a contract requiring monthly payments for phone equipment and a wireless service plan, between March 26 and April 25, 2103 are eligible to:
Cancel their service plans without being required to pay the remaining balance owing on their devices or telephones at the time of cancellation; and
Obtain a refund of their down payment​

there's more....

Settlement Refunds

Wash. Attorney General Exposes T-Mobile's Un-Carrier Claims

I'm going to give this a lot of thought as I bought my 810 on 4/1.

Good for you. If you want to cancel, you should think about. I'm not as fortunate as as you as an early adopter. There is no honor in corporate, but I hope someone looks our for us 810 users.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
So, loosely put, if you bought your phone in the last 30 days you can return it for the $0 down that was paid in? Um, sounds like a deal? I guess....

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Man, I just realized that I REALLY need the new firmware that allows Storage Check to function. I'm getting close to 3 gb of "other" and can't clear it out, even with the other apps that say they can clear it.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I reset my phone to reclaim that space. But other is creeping up fast. I just ordered an unlocked 720. If it comes with storage check and the service on 1900 is decent, I'm selling the 810. I'm pretty fed up.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I reset my phone to reclaim that space. But other is creeping up fast. I just ordered an unlocked 720. If it comes with storage check and the service on 1900 is decent, I'm selling the 810. I'm pretty fed up.

Good luck with the 720. Would you do me a favor and let us know how the service is on 1900? I'm considering getting that unlocked Lumia 920 after all, and I'd rather spend less than more - of course, the ones with the 1700 band are pricier. :-/

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with the 720. Would you do me a favor and let us know how the service is on 1900? I'm considering getting that unlocked Lumia 920 after all, and I'd rather spend less than more - of course, the ones with the 1700 band are pricier. :-/

yeah, sure. I'm in the Phoenix area, so ymmv.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I know you felt you needed to do that, but the fact that you did need to do that is pretty absurd. I expect you have a memory card and all music/pictures/video are on the card. That means you had to reset due to just day to day use. I've only had my phone for a month and I do have a memory card set up as I mentioned, yet my other is at 2.4 gigs. I have 1.7 gigs free, and I have many of the applications that I would want to install installed, however a couple of big games and I'm out...

Yes, Storage Check is critical.

On a side issue, I called T-Mobile last night to request an unlock code for my old HTC HD7. The move to Simple Mobile would not even require that the phone be unlocked, but I do want to get it done. Today I got an e-mail from the Sim Unlock Department (quick response, but useless of course) stating that "this subscriber is not eligible to receive the unlock code at this time. In order to be eligible, the subscriber must complete 40 days of active service."

Uh huh.... Yes, true I've been on a post paid plan for less than forty days, however I was on the Monthly 4g plan for likely a year or more, and I transferred to the post paid plan directly from the Monthly 4g plan. Called customer service today who implied that when I changed the account type they lost the ability to track my earlier service with them. So clearly they would have a difficult time doing a length of service customer loyalty program like Boost does. Why am I not assigned something like a customer id so that account changes doesn't wipe out all data for me. THEY ARE EITHER INCOMPETENT OR JUST DON"T CARE (I hold out that the "or" is quite likely an inclusive or).

I'll get the unlock code in a week or so. I told the customer service person that I had spoke to today, saying "Do you know how that sounds?"

no mas T-Mobile para m?.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
(I hold out that the "or" is quite likely an inclusive or).
They are both actually. When I went the same route, I got exactly same response. Being a tech guy, I understand what is "difference in the system" means, so if they say that pre-paid and post-paid are simply different dept / systems and they can not talk...thats just lame.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, day to day use was getting annoying. Aside from the disappointment of not being able to install apps I wanted, everytime I launched an app that required significant data download, the low space message would keep popping up.

I want the catwalk and I almost talked myself into believing it was just around the corner. But, it's always longer than you want or think it will be. Plus, I'd rather buy it after it's been out for a couple months. Sometimes they run MIR promotions.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyway to request an unlock code without calling?

That's a good question. I have never done it before. It looks as if you can pay to get one, it's probably like a key generator but based upon the model and IMEI. Personally, I can wait another week. I'm going to need to wait a little anyway, from the article about the Wash. Attorney General, T-Mobile will send out an e-mail to those eligible... Supposedly T-Mobile has 21 days to train their customer service representatives on the issue, and given their track record with me, I am not sure I want to be first.

I'm going to miss that beautiful screen, it is so much more vibrant than the HD7, will miss WP 8 as well. Will not miss reduced storage in 810 vs. HD7. Will be ecstatic to flip off T-Mobile in the rear view mirror. Will check out Catwalk's specs and price when it comes out, but will not use with T-Mobile. I usually do the same thing and do not like to buy things when they first come out, I often wait a while. I didn't get the HTC HD7 till just last May, so I don't mind buying something that is EOL. But hell, five months after release. That's absurd!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss