Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I had Shrink Storage and it worked the first time I used it, but it's been useless since. I uninstalled it just a couple of hours ago, actually. I think Phone Storage Cleanup is a better app but it doesn't seem to work for me anymore. What freed up more of my storage since was cleaning out my history in IE. But I think I'm in a better situation than most other 810 owners as I have 3.24GB free and 1.38GB in my "Other" section.

mmmm... clearing my IE cache brought me to 1.77 free with 5.64 used.. I would like to be able to clear the IE cache without clearing passwords.

3.24 GB free, sweet! You are doing well.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
reading all these comments about the various storage cleaning apps and methods of shrinking the Other folder is really reinforcing the idea that an 8 gig phone is really at the margin of usefulness. Has anyone read about how efficient the Nokia Storage Check application is? I hear it also would allow you to move maps to the SD card. I still hold, that if the Nokia Storage Check feature is efficient, then it is a necessity for our phone.
Nokia has a storage check app, which basically shows what app is using what memory...it doesn't shrink storage, but at least you can see what app is doing what...right now, all we know is what total storage is in other, but you have to delete everything and install an app at a time just to see if that particular app is storing files in other storage. Had my hd7 for almost two years, in Zune, you could manually reduce the other storage and it also worked on the phone...WP8 lacks this feature and with only 8GB to use, you notice it very rapidly.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has a storage check app, which basically shows what app is using what memory...it doesn't shrink storage, but at least you can see what app is doing what...right now, all we know is what total storage is in other, but you have to delete everything and install an app at a time just to see if that particular app is storing files in other storage. Had my hd7 for almost two years, in Zune, you could manually reduce the other storage and it also worked on the phone...WP8 lacks this feature and with only 8GB to use, you notice it very rapidly.
I'm not going to bother looking up the thread now, but I could have sworn I read someone claiming that the Nokia Storage Check could clear out the cache....

Okay... real time posting going on here... I just did a quick Bing search and found this post from Nokia with the definitive answer (Hint: It both automatically clears cache AND offers an automatic option): Managing your media, with the Storage Check settings app ? Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

I guess it doesn't help if Other is being used by apps that don't specify their data as cache... well at least that's how it works in my head. I'll probably never see it in person, but I get to pretend. Oh yay, thank you T-Mobile for giving me the power of imagination so I don't have to bother with actual reality. It's not like I could use this app or anything... *sigh*

It's been a few days I think since I've posted in this thread. I'm still bitter, but I'm now going to entertain the possibility that they might support it with at least one more firmware update that could enable things. I have Nokia Storage Check on my 810 (downloaded from Nokia Beta Labs) and all I need now is the firmware. I even got a recent extras+info update which all the 920 owners with the new firmware needed to get storage check working - the storage check app no longer says it's incompatible with my device, just that it can't read my data file. So, c'mon just one more piece of the puzzle!!

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I was told, the other storage is metadata....now all I need to know is what the fork that means...what the heck is metadata?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
From what I was told, the other storage is metadata....now all I need to know is what the fork that means...what the heck is metadata?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

Its probably the descriptive metadata that is what dominates the "Other" storage. One example: when you use Xbox Music and the artist picture matches with songs of that artist you have on your device. That picture has to get stored someplace. Or data from the WPCentral app that allows you to load the forums that you posted to faster. Or saved games data. Search history in Bing or in Maps. Stuff like that, I think.

Hopefully MSFT comes up with a better way to manage it...and hopefully we 810 users get the update...

Last edited:

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
When I can download all my map data to my 32 gb sd, I'll probably be good. My phone has a ton of apps on it and I still have 1.97 gb free.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Upcoming MS updates for WP 8 and MS statements about all WP 8 devices being updateable to these releases...

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/blue-go-windows-phone-updates-coming-throughout-2013

"According to Foley’s sources, however, Blue will be preceded by three interim updates, called General Distribution Releases, or GDRs. The first, codenamed “Portico,” already shipped and has been deployed to some Windows Phone 8 customers with Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 handsets, HTC Windows Phone 8X phones on AT&T, and HTC Windows Phone 8X handsets on Verizon, among others.

GDR2 is on the way next, and is rumored to be the OS version that will ship on HTC’s next handset, the “Tiara,” which could become available as soon as this summer. A GDR3 release is also planned. In this way, you can see that Microsoft is fulfilling what I see to be a need for more frequent updates, albeit with Phone, not Windows client.

Windows Phone Blue will come after these three GDRs, and could even slip into early 2014, ironically breaking Windows Phone’s three year run of yearly updates. (Foley notes that the name “Apollo Plus,” which had previously been used to describe post-Windows Phone 8 releases, is most likely akin to using the term v.Next, as in Xbox v.Next. So these 3 GDRs and Blue are all “Apollo Plus” releases, basically.)

And while Microsoft told PC Magazine this week that all Windows Phone 8 handsets would be upgradeable going forward—that is, they will get all of these GDRs and Blue—that isn’t new information, so let’s not pretend otherwise. Obviously, the lack of a Windows Phone 7.x-to-8.0 upgrade was a one-time thing required by the platform change, and Microsoft already announced that Windows Phone 8 handsets would be updatable over the air."

P.S. I have been saying Blue is due this summer. I am clearly wrong on that and must have been thinking of the GDR 2. Apparently Blue isn't due till late in the year, maybe next.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm just about done with this EOL B.S. and have decided I'm going to get myself a Rogers unlocked Lumia 920 instead. I'm going to be giving my mother, who my boyfriend and I have convinced to (finally) get a cell phone plan, my 810. The updates don't matter to her anyway, since she's going to be using the phone as a phone and will probably go light on apps. At least with a factory unlocked 920, I can rest assured that I'll get updates directly from Nokia. :straight: I'll miss the 810, but oh well.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^^

I got my Rogers L920 this weekend and got it unlocked, currently using it on T-Mobile in Columbus, OH. I am going to pass off my L810 to my dad for now who currently is using a Samsung Focus and L900. I must say, I will miss the 810 since it doesn't have any issues at all, I am just over with this BS treatment from T-Mobile....I mean...EOL within 5 months...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
^^^

I got my Rogers L920 this weekend and got it unlocked, currently using it on T-Mobile in Columbus, OH. I am going to pass off my L810 to my dad for now who currently is using a Samsung Focus and L900. I must say, I will miss the 810 since it doesn't have any issues at all, I am just over with this BS treatment from T-Mobile....I mean...EOL within 5 months...

I'm sorry to ask, but how much did you pay for that unlocked Rogers 920 and are you getting 4g (HSPA+)? I fear that it's going to be maybe a hundred less than what Catwalk will be. However I do tend to agree that the 920 should always be able to get updates (not that I have really done a lot of researching on the issue). Waiting for Catwalk means still potentially being exposed to the fickle whim of T-Mobile, which I can easily imagine being a bit gun shy. However one would think T-Mobile would sell Catwalk for some time and would support it.

T-Mobile really could head our discontent off at the pass by a clear statement of what their intentions are with firmware and OS support of the 810. That would likely stop a lot of us from jumping ship, as a number of us are apparently planning.

Being clear and open with your customers is usually wise...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to bother looking up the thread now, but I could have sworn I read someone claiming that the Nokia Storage Check could clear out the cache....

Okay... real time posting going on here... I just did a quick Bing search and found this post from Nokia with the definitive answer (Hint: It both automatically clears cache AND offers an automatic option): Managing your media, with the Storage Check settings app ? Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

I guess it doesn't help if Other is being used by apps that don't specify their data as cache... well at least that's how it works in my head. I'll probably never see it in person, but I get to pretend. Oh yay, thank you T-Mobile for giving me the power of imagination so I don't have to bother with actual reality. It's not like I could use this app or anything... *sigh*

It's been a few days I think since I've posted in this thread. I'm still bitter, but I'm now going to entertain the possibility that they might support it with at least one more firmware update that could enable things. I have Nokia Storage Check on my 810 (downloaded from Nokia Beta Labs) and all I need now is the firmware. I even got a recent extras+info update which all the 920 owners with the new firmware needed to get storage check working - the storage check app no longer says it's incompatible with my device, just that it can't read my data file. So, c'mon just one more piece of the puzzle!!

Please, Nokia, lend this one out to the rest of us! My other is over 5?gb.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I will bet any amount of money that these updates will carrier dependent, so T-Mobile customers shouldn't get excited.

I really don't know. Whatever happens, even if I do relinquish my 810, I will certainly watch this closely over the next six months to a year. I'm going to be very curious as to what happens with the 810.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to ask, but how much did you pay for that unlocked Rogers 920 and are you getting 4g (HSPA+)? I fear that it's going to be maybe a hundred less than what Catwalk will be. However I do tend to agree that the 920 should always be able to get updates (not that I have really done a lot of researching on the issue). Waiting for Catwalk means still potentially being exposed to the fickle whim of T-Mobile, which I can easily imagine being a bit gun shy. However one would think T-Mobile would sell Catwalk for some time and would support it.

T-Mobile really could head our discontent off at the pass by a clear statement of what their intentions are with firmware and OS support of the 810. That would likely stop a lot of us from jumping ship, as a number of us are apparently planning.

Being clear and open with your customers is usually wise...

Rogers is selling the 920 for $600 CAD. If ATT pricing is any indication of things, Catwalk will be the same price or cheaper. And that's before taxes (5% Goods & Sales Tax, and also 5% Provincial Sales Tax in some provinces) and the cost of unlocking. Getting the code directly from Rogers will cost an additional $50 CAD + tax. With current exchange rate, assuming you buy from a province that is subject to PST, that brings your total to $704.05 USD. With ATT releasing unlock codes for the 920 in a couple weeks you're gonna save a LOT of money just going with them... How much is HSPA speed worth to you?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I for one will stay with this phone :/ not because I want to but since I paid for it and don't have the money thanks to being a college student and all but I will be also watching this and T-mobile to see what they do with this phone I mean already I'm not happy with the support :mad: but I hope they have a heart and at least have a heart and pencil us who have the nl810 an update if not well I have to deal with it :unhappysweat:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Rogers is selling the 920 for $600 CAD. If ATT pricing is any indication of things, Catwalk will be the same price or cheaper. And that's before taxes (5% Goods & Sales Tax, and also 5% Provincial Sales Tax in some provinces) and the cost of unlocking. Getting the code directly from Rogers will cost an additional $50 CAD + tax. With current exchange rate, assuming you buy from a province that is subject to PST, that brings your total to $704.05 USD. With ATT releasing unlock codes for the 920 in a couple weeks you're gonna save a LOT of money just going with them... How much is HSPA speed worth to you?

Thank you for the information freestaterocker. My question isn't entirely just for me. I'm likely to downgrade back to my HTC HD 7 for awhile and either here or where I hope to get my next job only has 2g. So HSPA+ is very irrelevant for me. To be blunt I'm a cheap SOB and have been spending around $30 dollars for my cell phone coverage for a number of years. T-Mobile's $50 dollar a month plan is about my limit (or Simple/Straight etc). As far as I know the rarified costs of AT&T is too freaking elite for this peon, capiche?

thanks....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm not fortunate enough to purchase another WP8 device due to cash constraints. So I plan to ride my 810 until it breaks. My thing is that it is just better to go the unlocked route regardless - especially for those flagship devices.

dapost

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
its sad but the phone is not fit for its use, time for a class action law suit. it was broken from the day it was sold. without the firmware update it remains broken.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm not fortunate enough to purchase another WP8 device due to cash constraints. So I plan to ride my 810 until it breaks. My thing is that it is just better to go the unlocked route regardless - especially for those flagship devices.

Does it matter if you're unlocked or not? Can unlocked 810 owners get the firmware updates?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte