Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Metadata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its probably the descriptive metadata that is what dominates the "Other" storage. One example: when you use Xbox Music and the artist picture matches with songs of that artist you have on your device. That picture has to get stored someplace. .

So if I have to reset my phone (which is getting very close since I now have <175mb of space left, I will lose and have to re-do all my album art??
(I have @300 full cds on my 64GB SD card)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So if I have to reset my phone (which is getting very close since I now have <175mb of space left, I will lose and have to re-do all my album art??

I don't think it would affect your SD card, but just to be on the safe side, I would remove the card from the phone before resetting it.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter if you're unlocked or not? Can unlocked 810 owners get the firmware updates?
I just checked with Nokia. Since this was a device just for T-Moble, all updates have to come through T-Mobile. There is no "unlocked" version of this device.

So in a nutshell, T-Mobile have us by the short hairs.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, that does it for me. I just went ahead and ordered a black Rogers Lumia 920 from Negri (really wanted either yellow or white, but black was cheaper and I don't have a lot of money to throw around). I'm tired of this guessing game as to whether we'll be getting the firmware updates we need with the Storage Check feature. I may end up handing my mother my iPhone 4 to use and just hold onto my 810 as a backup phone just in case, though. Hopefully, the update does somehow eventually get through. Keeping my fingers crossed, even though I'll be using the 920 as my phone.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The lesson I've learned, is to never buy another phone that is carrier specific. Factory unlocked from now on, even if that means being without for awhile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter if you're unlocked or not? Can unlocked 810 owners get the firmware updates?

810 is a carrier variant specifically made for T-Mobile. This isn't like WP7 where updates are done by Zune that allows you to unlock the phone and do the force update tricks. WP8 updates are OTA. So, T-Nobile has us by the nuts here, unlocked or not.

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
its sad but the phone is not fit for its use, time for a class action law suit. it was broken from the day it was sold. without the firmware update it remains broken.

I hear ya, brother. (Foolishly) re-upped with T-Fraud for 2 years in November, looks like I'll just have to ride it out, but counting the days until I tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine....

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
810 is a carrier variant specifically made for T-Mobile. This isn't like WP7 where updates are done by Zune that allows you to unlock the phone and do the force update tricks. WP8 updates are OTA. So, T-Nobile has us by the nuts here, unlocked or not.

well, I bought mine from the Microsoft store and I think if no updates this summer and the music disaster, i'll argue the product is essentially not functioning as intended and request a replacement phone of some sort

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
well, I bought mine from the Microsoft store and I think if no updates this summer and the music disaster, i'll argue the product is essentially not functioning as intended and request a replacement phone of some sort

Let us know how that works if it does happen. Perhaps we can go to T-Mobile directly and argue that point. I'm kicking myself the more I think about it as to why I didn't just buy an unlocked 920...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just tweeted T-Mobile again...we need a hash tag so that this gets attention...I used #fixmyphone

Hmmm...i had something coming into work today, but I forgot it. Guys, I got an idea...lets help Dr. come up with a
Actually, Dr. I'm gonna open a new thread tonight when I get home that I will need help from all 810 users. Yo can retweet it along with this one to see if we can get some pressure up on T-Mobile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I've been tweeting so far
https://twitter.com/TMobileHelp/status/329255747886137344
Sent from my Nokia L810 using Board Express

Dr, well, the petition is up: #810 users want "NO Other" thread. Feel free to steal the title to retweet. Hopefully we can get enough people to sign and look at it because it beats taking this lying down. Again, the 810 can probably do the job if it never gets another update, but that's not the point. It's not the consumers' fault that it didn't sell well. This would have bee a great buy at $50 with T-Mobile's current pricing, but was a raw deal @ $150w/ contract at launch.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

It probably is a good idea to take out the card like metalchick719 is suggesting, however I have this weird feeling that the album art is kept in the Other folder. Please tell us what happens.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
if you haven't reset i would suggest cleaning up wpcentral app cache and clear internet explorer history, this should clean up a considerable amount

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss