Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it was in one of the articles Daniel wrote recently about 'Amber' where he mentioned the 810 and he sounded confident that we would get it. Is this somehow verified/a sure thing?

*edit: Found it. It was in the article about the 521 and WiFi calling posted on 5/28. He mentioned that perhaps the 810 would get WiFi calling with the amber update.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, honestly, I really don't care about Wi-Fi calling. The Storage Check feature is the biggie. Here's a weird little tidbit - I have my 920 now but strangely kinda miss using my 810. Odd as this sounds, I think I actually prefer the lighter weight of it and the deeper color of the screen.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, honestly, I really don't care about Wi-Fi calling. The Storage Check feature is the biggie. Here's a weird little tidbit - I have my 920 now but strangely kinda miss using my 810. Odd as this sounds, I think I actually prefer the lighter weight of it and the deeper color of the screen.

It isnt that odd at all. I think the general consensus is that WP just looks better on an AMOLED screen. I have an 8X & as sharp as that screen is, I still like the 810's screen because it feels easier on my eyes to look at for long periods. While the 8X is even lighter than the 810, for me the 810 has that right amount weight balance in hand.

It is a good phone. I just hope that t-mobile supports the phone, but I am honestly not holding my breath here.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this might work, but being ex-IT... maybe.

We all know that the phone regularly checks in to see if there are any updates, firmware and O/S, and it's interval is several days. When it does, there is a log of it on the back end server. Granted, most of the admins set it up so the log rolls over after a certain size, and it's hardly looked at... But I have a feeling that in the log it differentiates when the phone does it on it's own, or when the user initiates the check, if it does, this is the critical part of my plan.

My plan (or suggestion) is that everyone gets into the routine of once a day, of manually initiating a "Check for updates" from the phone (Settings, System, phone update, check for updates). Hopefully someone might notice in the logs that there is an increase of people wanting an update and they might "connect the dots" so to speak.

If nothing else, if an update is finally released, someone doing this will find it first and report in and then we can the update ASAP.

It's just an idea. I do this anyway hoping I'll find the update first :wink:

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
3 1/2 months of owning an 810 - it's rugged styling, awesome battery life and DARED to be different and try out another OS is what made me get this phone.. but like some of you mentioned here - thought Wi-Fi calling feature would be a great addition to our device - don't really care much for it.. Storage Check is what most (if not) ALL of us want so we can atleast take out some **** that we don't need (THAT IS if it'll let us delete them)

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site

We all know that the phone regularly checks in to see if there are any updates, firmware and O/S, and it's interval is several days. When it does, there is a log of it on the back end server. Granted, most of the admins set it up so the log rolls over after a certain size... But I have a feeling that in the log it differentiates when the phone does it on it's own, or when the user initiates the check, if it does, this is the critical part of my plan.

My plan (or suggestion) is that everyone gets into the routine of once a day, of manually initiating a "Check for updates" from the phone (Settings, System, phone update, check for updates). Hopefully someone might notice in the logs that there is an increase of people wanting an update and they might "connect the dots" so to speak.

If nothing else, if an update is finally released, someone doing this will find it first and report in and then we can the update ASAP.

I agree, i do it once almost every day... not sure if it'll make any difference but i do it anyways lol.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

We all know that the phone regularly checks in to see if there are any updates, firmware and O/S, and it's interval is several days. When it does, there is a log of it on the back end server. Granted, most of the admins set it up so the log rolls over after a certain size, and it's hardly looked at... But I have a feeling that in the log it differentiates when the phone does it on it's own, or when the user initiates the check, if it does, this is the critical part of my plan.

I actually did that quite often after the Portico update appeared. As soon as I saw up here that there was the 1308 update for the 920, I constantly checked on my 810 for an update. It got frustrating seeing nothing after all that time. Ironically enough, I actually turned on my 810 this morning just to see what was up. I had 14 app updates and updated them. *sigh* The cyan tile color looks SO much better on the 810 than it does on my 920. I so miss that screen!

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually did that quite often after the Portico update appeared. As soon as I saw up here that there was the 1308 update for the 920, I constantly checked on my 810 for an update. It got frustrating seeing nothing after all that time. Ironically enough, I actually turned on my 810 this morning just to see what was up. I had 14 app updates and updated them. *sigh* The cyan tile color looks SO much better on the 810 than it does on my 920. I so miss that screen!

lol 14 apps need updating!? deng do you have both 920 and 810?.. anyhow, my faves are Cobalt, Indigo and Red... all others looks boring IMO... wish we would have more choices of theme colors for the next GDR update.. but that ofcourse is just wishful thinking lol - would be awesome though!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
lol 14 apps need updating!? deng do you have both 920 and 810?.. anyhow, my faves are Cobalt, Indigo and Red... all others looks boring IMO... wish we would have more choices of theme colors for the next GDR update.. but that ofcourse is just wishful thinking lol - would be awesome though!

The only reason I had 14 apps that needed updates is because my 810 has been sitting turned off in its box. Cyan and indigo are my two favorite tile colors. I used the steel on my 920 for a couple of days, like that one quite a bit now, too.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm still going to go out on a limb here and keep recommending that people stop stressing about T-Mobile NOT sending out the updates... We already all know that the 920 is about a month ahead in cycling... That means that if 1308 was approved, then 1314 was pushed to fix the issue that 1308 created, T-Mobile wouldn't have let 1308 go... Which was the next to last update that Nokia ran out to the 9xx and 8xx series devices. Here is the current list of software versions from Nokia:

On
May 20, a software update to Software version 1030.6409.1316.0016
Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 810 is SW 1532.5951.1250.1004
Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 820 is SW 1232.5951.1249.0001
Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 822 is SW 1532.5951.1250.1012
Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 920 is SW 1232.5962.1314.0001

Nokia hasn't updated anything past .1250 except for the 920... This either means that the 8xx series updates aren't ready for prime time or there is another issue that is preventing the 8xx's to moving up in builds. I'm hopeful that we will see the 1316 or 1318 build in the next 2-4 weeks after testing on the 810 is completed. This will put it ahead of the 920 build that is currently on AT&T.

As far as EOL'ing the 810 and what it means to us:
Accessories that were hard to find are now going to be impossible - if you want a case, Qi back or anything else, GET THEM NOW!
If you have the Qi charger, get a spare base now - they will be gone very soon!
T-Mobile techs will not have updated literature for fixes, bugs or offer long term support tickets - they won't want to put in the effort to answer questions for an 'unsupported' device.
There will be a severe price drop for used 810's now that it is no longer available new in stores.
Most of all, as Windows Phone grows in size, our 8GB of storage will not be sufficient storage for future updates - we will probably see updates through the end of this year, but after 'Blue" or whatever they call the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I'm sure we will be sent out to pasture due to limitations on the device - but we will see.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Most of all, as Windows Phone grows in size, our 8GB of storage will not be sufficient storage for future updates - we will probably see updates through the end of this year, but after 'Blue" or whatever they call the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I'm sure we will be sent out to pasture due to limitations on the device - but we will see.

See now if this happens, it flies in the face of MSFT's announcement that all WP8's should get support for the next 18 months (paraphrased). That's why I wish Nokia had put 16GB as the internal, like in the 822. As much as T-Mobile is trying to wean folks off contract, many US people keep a phone through the life of a contract, sometimes a little afterwards too. So putting 8GB in there f*****d us up. Unless in the next update MSFT allows better management of the "Other" folder, then users have to treat the 810 like a 521...light to moderate usage and not push the phone.

waazzupppp, while I agree with the need to stay calm, calm doesn't help when I need to reset my phone because the "Other" is out of control and the phone isn't usable. T-Mobile knew what was coming down the pipeline. All carriers have some idea, I believe, because the all the logistics of buying getting a product to market don't happen overnight...probably takes a few months (my 810 was made on Sept 1 2012, I bought it mid Nov 2012).
He HAVE to wait as we have no choice. It's the principle of the thing why people are uptight here.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia hasn't updated anything past .1250 except for the 920... This either means that the 8xx series updates aren't ready for prime time or there is another issue that is preventing the 8xx's to moving up in builds. I'm hopeful that we will see the 1316 or 1318 build in the next 2-4 weeks after testing on the 810 is completed. This will put it ahead of the 920 build that is currently on AT&T.

That statement in your first line in the paragraph above... You are only referring to the WP8 Lumias here in the US, no? Because my Rogers 920 and my mom's 620 are up to 1314 and 1308 respectively.

There will be a severe price drop for used 810's now that it is no longer available new in stores.

This is an odd statement... The 810 is going to be extremely difficult to find in a little while, which would lead me to think the opposite of what you said. I can absolutely see it being sold for a LOT more money than what it was originally priced at full cost. That's usually what happens when a product is rare. But I digress.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That statement in your first line in the paragraph above... You are only referring to the WP8 Lumias here in the US, no? Because my Rogers 920 and my mom's 620 are up to 1314 and 1308 respectively.

This is an odd statement... The 810 is going to be extremely difficult to find in a little while, which would lead me to think the opposite of what you said. I can absolutely see it being sold for a LOT more money than what it was originally priced at full cost. That's usually what happens when a product is rare. But I digress.

Metalchick, usually, the more unpopular the phone is, the harder it is to find - new or used. Even on free wheeling sites like Craigslist, at least in the NYC metro area, there are barely 5 810 ads. The 8X is almost as hard to find, but the ones listed are overpriced as well. The 810 seems to be in that $180-$200 bracket used right now...which makes it a great buy as a spare phone. The 8X is trending down to the $225-$250 range, although you still have people asking for $300-350. The 920, by comparison, is still in the same price as the S3...$350. These are used prices I'm quoting here.

The firmware stuff is sometimes a slow roll out thing, as there were some folks globally who didn't get Portico right away because their phones were unlocked. The irony of that was once Portico was available, it was on the 810 rapidly. Guess that update may be the only one 810 users see in a speedy manner...

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry it seemed confusing, but I think I am right on my version numbers...

The 920 is running "Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 920 is SW 1232.5962.1314.0001" which is what you said your's has and the 620 isn't available nationwide yet (only AioWireless) so I didn't bother publishing that one. The 521 just updated to .1316 on my 20th, so I am hoping that is what is testing for the 810 now.

For the most part, you are right, supply and demand would mean that 810 would be more expensive since they are harder to find... The problem with that is you can get a 'slightly' less powerful 521 for $150 new. For the most part, the used 810's on eBay are between $150-250. That's a painful blow for someone that 3 months ago blew $550 on one of these. The problem isn't that the 810 is rare, it's that it is obsolete.

Compare the pricing of the 810 on eBay to the now 3 generation old Galaxy S II. There are a few new 810's in the $350 range, but for the most part, the used ones are in that $150-250 range. This is the same range that used Samsung Galaxy S II's are. Again, in comparing a phone that is 6 months old, it should be selling at GSIII prices, not GSII prices. This will be made only worse when the 925 comes out and dwarfs the 810 in the spec department. We just have to face the fact that we have a mid-range device that didn't sell well to start with, reselling it won't be nearly as nice to our pocketbooks as it would have been had we gotten a GSIII at the same price.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense now.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to jump in here and clarify this one too...

See now if this happens, it flies in the face of MSFT's announcement that all WP8's should get support for the next 18 months (paraphrased). That's why I wish Nokia had put 16GB as the internal, like in the 822. As much as T-Mobile is trying to wean folks off contract, many US people keep a phone through the life of a contract, sometimes a little afterwards too. So putting 8GB in there f*****d us up. Unless in the next update MSFT allows better management of the "Other" folder, then users have to treat the 810 like a 521...light to moderate usage and not push the phone.

waazzupppp, while I agree with the need to stay calm, calm doesn't help when I need to reset my phone because the "Other" is out of control and the phone isn't usable. T-Mobile knew what was coming down the pipeline. All carriers have some idea, I believe, because the all the logistics of buying getting a product to market don't happen overnight...probably takes a few months (my 810 was made on Sept 1 2012, I bought it mid Nov 2012).

He HAVE to wait as we have no choice. It's the principle of the thing why people are uptight here.

Microsoft will support Windows Phone on the 810 until July of 2014... They have stated this over and over again... I believe that Nokia will do the same, because of their 100% all-in investment in Windows Phone. They don't want 50k pissed off 810 owners jumping ship over a few lines of code. I have a feeling we will see the Amber update sometime after the 920 (and probably the 521) in a hybrid version of the two (since that is what the 810 really is)...

I also feel for those that have been burned before by 'non-up-gradable' hardware. Sorry, I've been there way too many times: Windows Mobile 6.5 to 7, Android 2.3 to 4, Android 1.6 to 2.1, Windows Phone 7.5 to 8, Blackberry 5 to 7... Been there done that way too often. Let's just ask this question: Would it be different if tomorrow Microsoft announces that Windows Phone development is done and they are discontinuing a non-profitable business venture? The fact still remains that nobody at T-Mobile has said that the 810 isn't getting upgraded... Nobody at Microsoft has said that the 810 isn't getting upgraded... Nobody at Nokia has said that the 810 isn't getting updated.

Now here's a bummer deal part of it: if you are using your phone on a third party service, most of the new stuff won't be usable... Storage Check - it's there and functional for any carrier... WiFi Calling - only available if you are using T-Mobile (does not work on any MVNO accounts)... Data Sense - also only available if you are using T-Mobile (does not work on any MVNO accounts)... Yes folks, that means two of the biggest features of the coming update will not work unless you are on the native network. Also, there is still no way to force the device to Nokia Xpress browser instead of IE - which is one I was hoping for.

Sorry for trying to keep heads calm about this, but none of the companies involved seem to be helping me along here, so, I'll keep passing along what I know.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to jump in here and clarify this one too...

Microsoft will support Windows Phone on the 810 until July of 2014... They have stated this over and over again... I believe that Nokia will do the same, because of their 100% all-in investment in Windows Phone. They don't want 50k pissed off 810 owners jumping ship over a few lines of code. I have a feeling we will see the Amber update sometime after the 920 (and probably the 521) in a hybrid version of the two (since that is what the 810 really is)...

I also feel for those that have been burned before by 'non-up-gradable' hardware. Sorry, I've been there way too many times: Windows Mobile 6.5 to 7, Android 2.3 to 4, Android 1.6 to 2.1, Windows Phone 7.5 to 8, Blackberry 5 to 7... Been there done that way too often. Let's just ask this question: Would it be different if tomorrow Microsoft announces that Windows Phone development is done and they are discontinuing a non-profitable business venture? The fact still remains that nobody at T-Mobile has said that the 810 isn't getting upgraded... Nobody at Microsoft has said that the 810 isn't getting upgraded... Nobody at Nokia has said that the 810 isn't getting updated.

Now here's a bummer deal part of it: if you are using your phone on a third party service, most of the new stuff won't be usable... Storage Check - it's there and functional for any carrier... WiFi Calling - only available if you are using T-Mobile (does not work on any MVNO accounts)... Data Sense - also only available if you are using T-Mobile (does not work on any MVNO accounts)... Yes folks, that means two of the biggest features of the coming update will not work unless you are on the native network. Also, there is still no way to force the device to Nokia Xpress browser instead of IE - which is one I was hoping for.

Sorry for trying to keep heads calm about this, but none of the companies involved seem to be helping me along here, so, I'll keep passing along what I know.

I do remember MSFT's comments about the support until 2014, and the supposed additional extended support for the next WP version for existing hardware (that's why I said the comment was paraphrased). While I think we may eventually see that, on T-Mobile it appears the 925 and 521 have priority and they will get to the 8X and 810 when they get around to it.

My points don't change: T-Mobile f****d the "few 810 users" by overpricing a good mid range phone and not requesting the internal to be 16GB, or give it their LTE speeds. Add in the points you just made about if and when we get the update how it may play out on a MVNO networks.

It just smells all around. But we HAVE to wait until we get the updates, whenever we get it. There's no choice there. People are pretty calm in these parts...guess we all realized we bought lemons pretty much and just have to baby the phone until we either need to reset it or we get an update.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one whose 810 is experiencing a bunch of problems? Seriously? While I'm not sure they EOLed the phone because of issues, and it's probably more due to - as mentioned right above - overpricing a phone and helping to make it unpopular (seriously? Why on earth did T-Mobile sell it in the store for $100 more than at MS? Who got greedy?) , I can't help but think they might have been getting lots of returns on this device which wouldn't help them any. My 810 freezes multiple times per day, requiring a reset either by battery pull or by holding power+volume down for a few seconds - and it's a weird freeze, because it will just show an all black "Loading" screen that never goes away, complete with the green dot loading animation. The freeze can happen at any time, but only happens after the screen has been locked... so if I never let the screen lock then I suppose it would never happen. Anyway, it also affects things like my alarm, so if my alarm goes off, I will see the "snooze/dismiss" button on top of the lock screen, but when I hit the dismiss button I instantly know the phone is frozen underneath the lockscreen, because it hangs. Indefinitely. The dismiss button highlights after I tap it and stays highlighted, all the while with my alarm still going off, so I have to do a battery pull or hold the side buttons again.

Occasionally, my capacitive buttons don't work and I'm stuck in whatever application I last opened. As an example, I just browsed to Facebook and when hitting the back button, nothing happened. Same with search and home. I can hold the back button and see the list of running apps, but when I select one, it pops to the forefront for a second then springs right back to the app I'm stuck in. I can't do voice commands to try to open an app, either. This also requires a soft reset to fix.

Those are the major problems that render the phone useless at times. There are a few other probs, but ugh... the 925 can't come soon enough. I REALLY hope MS store does an in-warranty replacement for this 810 with a 925 when it comes out. I'll hold out until then *crossing fingers*. I'm done with this device. Maybe a firmware update from Nokia could fix it, who knows, but.. well.. refer to all 16 pages of this thread for the answer to that ;)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Mystic, you probably got a bad 810. We've seen bad batches of 928s, 920s in their forums. Guess there were some bad 810s too, but because of how unpopular the phone was, those experiences got swept under the rug...and I'm sure it didn't help matters on the eyes of T-Mobile either.

T- Mobile always prices their stuff higher. The 520 is for $150, but the 521 is $200 in store. Their MO is always that you save more on the monthly bill so it's OK for the handset to be more expensive, or in reality for most phones - closer to their unlocked MSRP. I doubt they will replace broken or defect 810s with 925s. They probably can cobble up an 810 if you sent it back for returns. I know more carriers will have the 925, but after my T-Mobile 810 experience, it will be either unlocked or a VZW phone (which comes unlocked).

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Mystic, I am sure there were bad batches of them, including the dreaded 'other' storage bug, but honestly, I have only had to pull the battery 2 times in this phone in 6 weeks. I used to pull my androids almost every day. I will say again that mine was probably one of the last made (March 2013).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo