Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

pete_es

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do we know how many 810s were produced?

I know that a phone from Oct. 2012 has an IMEI beginning with 3545910504xxxxx

So at this point there were produced about 40,000 units since the last digit is a check digit.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was fortunate enough that to this point, my 810 runs smooth as silk. Now, my when my Other started getting really out of hand, I sat down and deleted a ton of apps I don't use, cleared my browser, and deleted caches from a few other apps. While my Other is a slightly tolerable (for me anyways) 2.8GB, I still disagree for the need for such micromanagement in the first place.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
T- Mobile always prices their stuff higher. The 520 is for $150, but the 521 is $200 in store. Their MO is always that you save more on the monthly bill so it's OK for the handset to be more expensive, or in reality for most phones - closer to their unlocked MSRP. I doubt they will replace broken or defect 810s with 925s. They probably can cobble up an 810 if you sent it back for returns.
I'm a little more hopeful that it will happen because I would be returning it to the Microsoft Store using my warranty, where they replace the defective version with new stock they have in store right then. If they're out of 810s, I could be in luck. Depends on what the Microsoft Store here actually does... they could have shelved the 810s and kept stock on hand in the back, but as a retail store I still think it is much more likely they would discount them and sell them to make their money back, rather than keep a bunch around waiting for people with warranties that may not ever even use them.

It's becoming a struggle because, almost as if right on cue, now my 810 sometimes won't power up the screen at all and requires a reset (the buttons still light up, and stuff still happens when I swipe at the screen, but the screen stays black)

Mystic: Hate to suggest this, but have you tried doing a reset?
Ugh... I might have to. I HATE doing that, because I think I have a couple of apps on my phone that were pulled from the marketplace, and I also have at least one app that was free and turned paid - but since I downloaded while free, I keep getting updates for the paid version and have no ads (plus other features I think). After a reset, I will no longer have the paid version (since, you know, I haven't actually paid for it, just kind of stuck with it since the beginning). And if it doesn't fix the problem I will have lost some apps and have to reconfigure many of my in-app settings.

Do we know how many 810s were produced?

I know that a phone from Oct. 2012 has an IMEI beginning with 3545910504xxxxx

So at this point there were produced about 40,000 units since the last digit is a check digit.
My phone from January (I replaced it a few times since I got it in November) ends in 38,963 (minus the last digit, of course). I must have got some really old stock :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Mystic, it may be an issue with your proximity sensor being bad. If that's the case, a hardware rest may not help. You may have to get it replaced. Sorry to hear about those apps, it is situations like this make me wish we had a better back up system in WP8. Let us know how everything shakes out...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ugh... I might have to. I HATE doing that, because I think I have a couple of apps on my phone that were pulled from the marketplace, and I also have at least one app that was free and turned paid - but since I downloaded while free, I keep getting updates for the paid version and have no ads (plus other features I think). After a reset, I will no longer have the paid version (since, you know, I haven't actually paid for it, just kind of stuck with it since the beginning). And if it doesn't fix the problem I will have lost some apps and have to reconfigure many of my in-app settings.
I understand. I just reset my phone the other day. My "other" hit 3 gig suddenly (don't know why) and the phone actually slowed down. So I bit the bullet and did a backup, then reset.

I did loose my YouTube app (oddly enough I don't use it that much so I don't mind), but my free version of Angry Birds came back (surprised at that one, but it cleared the levels I completed. Now I get to start over).

I kept an eye on the "other" size during the updates, and adjusting various settings. It stayed at around 900 MB, until I loaded local maps. Then it jumped to 1.12 GB and is holding steady.

I should add that I also experimented with doing a resets with microSD removed or in place, and SIM card in or out (just to see about limiting cellular data usage during a reset). I learned that if you do a reset with the SIM out, you don't get a proper restore with all your settings back.

But I do recommend leaving in your microSD card (no it won't get wiped clean during the reset). I noticed that my music on my microSD card works a bit better now. Previously, on occasion I would get a "can not play" error on some songs (I could hit OK, and press play again it would play anyway), now those errors are gone. I DID loose my playlists on the reset (why the phone stores those on the phone storage and not on the microSD doesn't make sense).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've had with my 810 is that it would freeze quite often when I played Words with Friends on it. HeyWire caused it to freeze maybe three times total, but WWF was the biggie. Other than that, I had no complaints with my 810 at all. My "Other" isn't even terrible at around 1.40GB. Last I checked, when I booted it a few days back, I think my free storage was 3.22GB or so. The last time WWF froze my 810, it got stuck at the Nokia screen and I ended up having to pull the battery. After that, I stopped playing it on my phone. I also refuse to play it on my still new 920 just for that very reason. Can't do a battery pull on it, of course.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I also refuse to play it on my still new 920 just for that very reason. Can't do a battery pull on it, of course.
Holding down the power and volume down buttons at the same time until the phone vibrates and restarts does the exact same as a battery pull. You still shouldn't install WWF on your 920 - the app is way too buggy.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Holding down the power and volume down buttons at the same time until the phone vibrates and restarts does the exact same as a battery pull. You still shouldn't install WWF on your 920 - the app is way too buggy.

If I remember correctly, I did actually try to soft reset, but it didn't respond. That was why I went with the battery pull. I did actually install WWF on my 920 but haven't dared to open it. Yeah, I'm probably going to just uninstall it. I'd rather play it on my iPhone 4 or on my computer.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, I did actually try to soft reset, but it didn't respond. That was why I went with the battery pull. I did actually install WWF on my 920 but haven't dared to open it. Yeah, I'm probably going to just uninstall it. I'd rather play it on my iPhone 4 or on my computer.
How long did you hold the buttons down? Sometimes I have to hold them down for what seems like forever. That soft reset method is supposed to always work, like a hardware override, and if it doesn't that's kinda scary. It seems that would mean that an app could semi-brick your phone if you couldn't remove the battery (though I suppose you could just also wait until the battery died, however long that would take. So it wouldn't necessarily fully "brick" the device...)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How long did you hold the buttons down? Sometimes I have to hold them down for what seems like forever. That soft reset method is supposed to always work, like a hardware override, and if it doesn't that's kinda scary. It seems that would mean that an app could semi-brick your phone if you couldn't remove the battery (though I suppose you could just also wait until the battery died, however long that would take. So it wouldn't necessarily fully "brick" the device...)

Oh, wait a minute... I remember what happened now. I did the soft reset first, then the phone started rebooting but it got stuck on the Nokia window for longer than 10 or 15 seconds. THAT was when I did the battery pull. D'oh on me for forgetting that!

I actually uninstalled WWF from my 920 yesterday. Definitely not willing to take any chances.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
The one that has been plaguing my 810 when I install it is Nokia Music... Every time I put it on, I get audio drops (the song keeps playing, but no sound comes out) and the SD card freaks on me... I just stopped using it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My guess is T-Mobile will do what they did at the WP8 launch and say they are on board. They probably are. If I were to guess, the 925 and 521 will get 8.1, and mostly likely the 8X. The 810...well...

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
My guess is T-Mobile will do what they did at the WP8 launch and say they are on board. They probably are. If I were to guess, the 925 and 521 will get 8.1, and mostly likely the 8X. The 810...well...

can only hope for the best... surely crossing my fingers and TOES... and pretty sure ALOT of us 810 owners will be very very VERYYYY pissed should TMo decide not to

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that we will get newer firmware with MS GDR2 and Nokia Amber. They are supposed to come out roughly at the same time.

If we don't... I hate to think about what the fallout from it would be like.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that we will get newer firmware with MS GDR2 and Nokia Amber. They are supposed to come out roughly at the same time.

If we don't... I hate to think about what the fallout from it would be like.

can only hope for the best... surely crossing my fingers and TOES... and pretty sure ALOT of us 810 owners will be very very VERYYYY pissed should TMo decide not to

We need to cross swords along with fingers and toes about getting this update.

There will be no fall out from not getting the 8.1 update, in the same manner how the Focus S and Titan 2 were held hostage update wise by AT&T. They all want you to just buy new hardware to solve the problem of the existing handset that you have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful we get the update, but I won't put it past T-Mobile to do to the 810 what they did to the Radar and 710...

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think there is a serious problem comparing the 8.x updates to the 7.8 update in any fashion... The 7.8 update was buggy from the start and the initial releases didn't pass T-Mo's testing. Face it, T-Mo would have rather left people holding the bag on 7.5 with working live tiles and devices that functioned rather than getting the ability to change tile sizes and add a few colors.

When you get down to the Focus S, debranding it was the way to go there. It was a simple XML execution and the device was wide open to any updates that Samsung pushed out. I'm hopeful that this will be the case going forward with all WP devices as MS pushes out the 8.x updates. Try it and if it works great, if not, get a new phone...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a serious problem comparing the 8.x updates to the 7.8 update in any fashion... The 7.8 update was buggy from the start and the initial releases didn't pass T-Mo's testing. Face it, T-Mo would have rather left people holding the bag on 7.5 with working live tiles and devices that functioned rather than getting the ability to change tile sizes and add a few colors.

When you get down to the Focus S, debranding it was the way to go there. It was a simple XML execution and the device was wide open to any updates that Samsung pushed out. I'm hopeful that this will be the case going forward with all WP devices as MS pushes out the 8.x updates. Try it and if it works great, if not, get a new phone...

Let's not get legalist here. While there may have been issues with the "initial releases" of 7.8, I would bet that neither the Radar or the 710 will get a upgrade to 7.8 no matter how solid the 7.8 updates ends up being.

To give you an example, I updated my HTC HD 7 to 7.8 via the instructions here at this site.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-hd-7-7s/214694-htc-hd7-tmo-us-7-8-update-steps.html

People noticed right away that the live tiles issue was not fixed and two updates were done within days bringing the HTC HD7 up to 8862 as of March 15th. So yes, THE INITIAL RELEASES may not have passed testing but MS released updates very quickly to solve the issue. My HTC HD 7 is working fine on 7.8 now. I have zero faith that the HTC HD7 will ever get the 7.8 update officially through T-Mobile and I would bet that newer phones like the 710 or the Radar will never get it either....

As you've told us a number of time, T-Mobile does not care about X percentage of people. If it's not a huge selling phone, the customer can go f*ck themselves, eh? Or they can "get a new phone...."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb