Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I thought about the 925 but I have had the 810 since december and I have had almost no issues with it. I does everything that I need it to do. I hear so many people complain about their 920 and hear so many issues with the 925. I have been a loyal nokia user for years now but it seems like they have lost sight of who they used to be. Nokia used to make revolutionary phones that were lightyears ahead of the competition and were a success as a result of their designs and ingenuity. Now it seems that they have lost sight of the quality and become driven by economics rather than innovation. The 810 might end up being my last nokia phone but for now I am satisfied with its performance.

I'm like you. Overall I really like my 810. The camera is a little bit better than people think and it is a solid smartphone. My two issues: the internal memory at 8GB and t-mobile's update policy.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey don't get snappy - I'm just relaying what is passed on to me... :smile: It's important to remember that 1308 didn't make the cut... 1314 didn't either... Here's to hoping 1316 is the gold code...

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey don't get snappy - I'm just relaying what is passed on to me... :smile: It's important to remember that 1308 didn't make the cut... 1314 didn't either... Here's to hoping 1316 is the gold code...

The quote wasn't directed towards you and I could care less about what fw they are testing, it's their attitude towards their customers. As one poster put it in another forum: "With this latest treatment regarding the 810, this clearly indicates a "don't care" attitude and I don't like it or appreciate it one bit!"

Typical canned response from tmob. "At this time we do not have information on whether or not the 810 will receive an update"

Seriously? It doesn't look good for us 810 owners every phone got updated but the 810, and telling people they are testing 1316 giving them hope for an update that may never come. It's like tmob wants us to live in a fools paradise with canned responses. The OS still needs to be updated to fix serious bugs, the storage feature to allocate to SD is another important feature that the 810 desperately needs.

They already over priced the 925 at 99.00 while you can get a 928 for free! That tells me they are doing the same exact thing they did to the 810, didn't they learn anything from that? Apparently not! Good thing I bought my phone through Frys for 70.00 at the time tmob wanted I think 149.00.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As I have stated previously in this thread, there is no update coming. I have been a T-Mobile customer since the HD2, when the HD7 came out, T-Mobile dropped support for that phone...I know, because I'm looking at it now..when the Lumia 810 came out, T-Mobile dropped support for the HD7, we all that have that phone knows that it wasn't updated...now, 3 different updates have been released 1308, 1314, and 1316...has anyone seen anything on their Lumia since January? But with the 925 around the corner, we are supposed to believe that the Lumia 810 is getting an update? As my own history with this company has proven, it's not happening, period.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The quote wasn't directed towards you and I could care less about what fw they are testing, it's their attitude towards their customers. As one poster put it in another forum: "With this latest treatment regarding the 810, this clearly indicates a "don't care" attitude and I don't like it or appreciate it one bit!"

Typical canned response from tmob. "At this time we do not have information on whether or not the 810 will receive an update"

Seriously? It doesn't look good for us 810 owners every phone got updated but the 810, and telling people they are testing 1316 giving them hope for an update that may never come. It's like tmob wants us to live in a fools paradise with canned responses. The OS still needs to be updated to fix serious bugs, the storage feature to allocate to SD is another important feature that the 810 desperately needs.

They already over priced the 925 at 99.00 while you can get a 928 for free! That tells me they are doing the same exact thing they did to the 810, didn't they learn anything from that? Apparently not! Good thing I bought my phone through Frys for 70.00 at the time tmob wanted I think 149.00.

I've been with Sprint, AT&T and now TMobile.

None of them appreciate their customers.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They already over priced the 925 at 99.00 while you can get a 928 for free! That tells me they are doing the same exact thing they did to the 810, didn't they learn anything from that?
If you're going to complain, at least complain fairly. The 928 was not free at launch. Seriously, how can you complain that the 925 is overpriced at $99 compared to a free 928, if the 928 will have been out for 2 months by the time this thing launches?

At around launch time:
"The Lumia 928 is available in white or black at Verizon Wireless stores and online, beginning May 16 for $99 after a $50 mail-in rebate, with a new two-year customer agreement."
Source: Nokia, Verizon Prepare for Lumia 928 Smartphone Launch

$150 out the door for a 928 at launch through Verizon. $100 total for a 920 at launch through AT&T. T-Mobile is offering $100 for a 925 at launch. Give it time, the price will drop, directly through T-Mobile stores and/or through the authorized retailers that still offer T-Mobile contract phones.

If 2 months have passed and there aren't any price-dropping sales, then you can complain all you want.

BTW: The Lumia 810 was $150 after $50 mail-in rebate at launch. Highest up-front cost for a device without OIS and the 920 goodies. I'd say that T-Mobile learned their lesson, and dropped the price on an even higher-spec phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to complain, at least complain fairly. The 928 was not free at launch.
If 2 months have passed and there aren't any price-dropping sales, then you can complain all you want.

BTW: The Lumia 810 was $150 after $50 mail-in rebate at launch. Highest up-front cost for a device without OIS and the 920 goodies. I'd say that T-Mobile learned their lesson, and dropped the price on an even higher-spec phone.

Well said. There really isnt anything such as a fair compliant.

I'm resigned to the fact that I've got my 810 for another year +, simply because even if I sell this thing, it won't fully cover the EIP. I wanted to jump in at WP8 launch, did my research, and got screwed because of the carriers pricing which lead to weak sales. I don't think an update is coming, and would be happy to eat crow if t-mo releases the update. No carrier or larger corporation for that matter truly cares about its customers. My sister swears by Apple and it burns her ears when I tell her Apple does what it does not because they care, because trust me, if they could sell their overpriced $#%! and not have to support it as much, they would.

I'm keeping my eye out on the 920, because an old site I used to use now has it for $385 unlocked for the international model. As much as I don't like to rock two phones from the same OEM simultaneously, of there is some cash available, I will grab the 920. Otherwise I will repair my project 8X and see if VZW is better at updates for WP8.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I might go back to HTC if they make a flagship phone with an SD slot...Nokia can kiss my ***!

My HTC HD7 is certainly treating me well, like it always has. I do miss WP8 though and I liked the Nokia HERE maps and such. I WILL be getting a Nokia the next time around, but I will NOT be getting an 8gb phone (even if it has an SD slot) as my primary phone..... If the 810 had 16gb with an SD Slot it would have been a quite sufficient phone and I expect this thread would be a lot less active....

P.S. T-Mobile was charging me $345 for the 810 even though I had turned it in on 5/25. It took over thirty days with multiple phone conversations in order for them to finally zero out that charge.... But at this point everything is fine. I cannot suggest Net10 to anyone, their customer service regime is even worse than T-Mobile's. I ported my phone number back to the prepaid section of T-Mobile and everything is fine....

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to complain, at least complain fairly. The 928 was not free at launch. Seriously, how can you complain that the 925 is overpriced at $99 compared to a free 928, if the 928 will have been out for 2 months by the time this thing launches?

At around launch time:

Source: Nokia, Verizon Prepare for Lumia 928 Smartphone Launch

$150 out the door for a 928 at launch through Verizon. $100 total for a 920 at launch through AT&T. T-Mobile is offering $100 for a 925 at launch. Give it time, the price will drop, directly through T-Mobile stores and/or through the authorized retailers that still offer T-Mobile contract phones.

Lol yea you got me there, but now I remember 199.00 with 50.00 coupon, anyway I just got off the phone with CS and requested an unlock code. The girl was going to get an 810 and I told her it's been EOL'd and no further support. That changed her mind really quick. I also see 810's in my local store for sale and told the guy it's been EOL'd and he had no clue. I then said you better tell your customers your selling them an un supported phone. Once the 925 hits the shelves 810 goes even further down the sewer it will never see the light of day. I guess it's all up to Nokia Devs to write something for the 810 but they aren't doing that either, I may have to turn up the heat to get them off their arses and finish what they started. Heck the 8x got an update in June!

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My HTC HD7 is certainly treating me well, like it always has. I do miss WP8 though and I liked the Nokia HERE maps and such. I WILL be getting a Nokia the next time around, but I will NOT be getting an 8gb phone (even if it has an SD slot) as my primary phone..... If the 810 had 16gb with an SD Slot it would have been a quite sufficient phone and I expect this thread would be a lot less active....

P.S. T-Mobile was charging me $345 for the 810 even though I had turned it in on 5/25. It took over thirty days with multiple phone conversations in order for them to finally zero out that charge.... But at this point everything is fine. I cannot suggest Net10 to anyone, their customer service regime is even worse than T-Mobile's. I ported my phone number back to the prepaid section of T-Mobile and everything is fine....
I still have and use my HD7....it doesn't even have Beats, but it sounds WAY better than the Lumia 810.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I still have and use my HD7....it doesn't even have Beats, but it sounds WAY better than the Lumia 810.

Got to disrespectfully disagree there...the Dolby on the 810 sounds much better than the Dolby/SRS on the HD7. To me, Beats sounds a little bit better on the 8X than the 810.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the aux out in a Honda Accord with both...trust me, the HD7 has a much crisper and richer sound than my Lumia 😊. I have a pair of powerbeats, it's not even close. Now when it comes to speakerphone mode, the Lumia 810 kills it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I use the aux out in a Honda Accord with both...trust me, the HD7 has a much crisper and richer sound than my Lumia 😊. I have a pair of powerbeats, it's not even close. Now when it comes to speakerphone mode, the Lumia 810 kills it.

I'll take your word on the audio test since I don't have a car to check it myself...i am in full agreement with how powerful the 810's speakerphone is. I used my purity headphones on the 8X and it is a great match for me. Still, the 810 isn't sloppy in the audio department - it is "good enough" for my needs...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If we unlock our phones (as in request an unlock code from tmobile) can we get updates directly from Nokia or Windows?

No, because the 810 is a carrier variant, i.e. a model specifically made for a carrier by an OEM. It's not like a 920/820 which have international unlocked models were in theory you can debrand (remove the carrier junk) and get direct updates from Nokia. In WP7, people used to do that alot, especially with the GEN 1 devices...i bought an unlocked Orange branded HTC Mozart and the first thing I did was debrand it and the updates got much easier to install. It is why some people just like to buy unlocked. Now what some of the US carriers will do, especially AT&T, is may give you slower speeds because you're not an a carrier branded phone. Remember, they are in the business of trying to live in your pocket as much as possible.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought my HD7 had much better sound than the 810

You and the Dr are probably right. If my memory serves me correctly, Nokia has a long list of **** that they may want to port to WP from their Symbian OS that is taking them longer than they expect because of the coding and support. I know that Nokia's WP8 models have much, much better audio than their WP7 offerings. The problem from what I remember many moons ago is based on how destructive the OS is and adding the necessary audio support. Remember, one of the best audio phones ever made was by Nokia - the N91. I know of people who have that thing still as a music player and the sound is still awesome due to the dedicated audio chip and finely tuned drivers.

This is why I think HTC should make design and audio their focal point for WP going forward. Nokia should focus on camera and design as give decent enough audio (not sure by the time this 5 year marriage with MSFT ends they would have ported over everything the wanted to WP). Samusng should do as they always do...drop WP on their Galaxy devices and just improve the support. There is still enough room for WP growth and all 3 of the big OEMs to get a piece of the market. Maybe MSFT needs to lower the licensing fees and just focus on adding the necessary support to the OS and give quicker RTM times for the updates.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has released a new phone with updated software, and T-Mobile is touting it as the next great thing....meanwhile, the Nokia Lumia 810 is suffering from the other storage space issue with no fix seen...am I the only person bothered by this?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has released a new phone with updated software, and T-Mobile is touting it as the next great thing....meanwhile, the Nokia Lumia 810 is suffering from the other storage space issue with no fix seen...am I the only person bothered by this?

I AM!!! bothered by it :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss