Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has confirmed that the Nokia Pro Camera application would be released to older Lumia smartphones through a software update, also known as the Amber update. The (AMBER) update will only be released to the Lumia 920, 925 and 928 smartphones, so if you have any other Lumia phone (822, 810)* then you're out of luck. -www.gsmarena.com

* my edit

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
In reading the article (from gsmarena.com), it sounds like the Pro Camera App was only for 920, 925 and 928, not necessarily the Amber update. Still, I'll believe it when I see it (any more 810 updates).

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why would T-Blow give their 810 customers a FREE update on the 810 (ridicuously EOL'ed after a few months) when they can squeeze more money out of their suckers....errrrr, customers, on their upgrade program?

Like a poster said above, I'll ride out my crappy contract with Magneta and NEVER do business with them again. EVER.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's totally off the grid, can't find this phone on MSFT and Nokia site. Funny though they list the 610/710 poor 810 has gone missing.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, my 810's days have been numbered...since 09/01/12 - the manufactured date.

I may still keep mine because I'm too broke & jaded to buy a new phone. This is my last contract related, carrier phone. Ever.

I hear ya... speaking of "contract"... I just now made a switch from Contract to No Contract Simple Choice w/o paying any migration fee (VERY AWESOME!) since i've gained unlimited talk and increased data caps...

As for my 810... yeah as much as i wanna chuck it right out of the window and could really careless if it hits a squirrel or a person but i may keep it til i really get tired of it... maybe by then the unlock 920's will be slightly or significantly cheaper to purchase because of all the other high end Lumias coming out.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll ride out my crappy contract with Magneta and NEVER do business with them again. EVER.

OR.. just make the switch to Simple Choice... you can walk away anytime.. no questions... trust me.. there isn't any cheap reliable (atleast in my area) and no contract cell providers outhere than TMo..... i've searched.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
OR.. just make the switch to Simple Choice... you can walk away anytime.. no questions... trust me.. there isn't any cheap reliable (atleast in my area) and no contract cell providers outhere than TMo..... i've searched.

Only if there signal could be captured ...(maybe in your area it's reliable ) and I could make calls in the same places an AT&T Lumia 820 or a Verizon Lumia 822 could I'd be happy too.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Heheheh.... I posted a comment on the 925 unboxing article "Anyone want to start a pool on when T-mobile will EOL the 925?" and it got deleted.

I think I hit a nerve. :winktongue:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Heheheh.... I posted a comment on the 925 unboxing article "Anyone want to start a pool on when T-mobile will EOL the 925?" and it got deleted.

I played with one in store today, and honestly, I was impressed. There are two things that would deter me from owning one: 1. The 16GB storage and the fact that t-mo sells it. Right now, I can get a new 920 for under $400. That's a better deal for me. I would only buy the 925 if it were the 32GB version.

As we've said in the 810 forums, we will not shed a tear of sympathy for 925 users on t-mo if the phone gets EOL'ed quickly.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't gone and looked at the 925. I'm stuck with the 810 for awhile ($ wise), not sure when I'll jump to another phone (need a new laptop/tablet first). But when I do, it will be a Unbranded, Unlocked device. Hopefully when that time comes, there will be some sort of selection from Nokia or someone else in the Windows Phone lineup.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
925 will get EOL'd. This year. Or maybe they'll stretch it to March 2014. There's no advertising for it,it's buried on the T-Mobile websites, reps barely know about it, there was no talk about it after the announcement - all quiet. I haven't received my email informing me of the Lumia 925 availability yet.

Then, T-Mobile goes ahead and, I suppose to make themselves look nice and cheap, force authorized retailers such as the Microsoft Store to sell the device for $699. Meanwhile, T-Mobile can look nice and cheap, "Hey, if you're looking for this phone we barely know anything about, and don't advertise at all, you should come in to our stores where we can offer it cheaper than anyone else". Come on, Lumia 810 was $100 cheaper at the MS Store at launch. Since then, T-Mobile eliminated contracts and are doing everything they can to look as cheap as possible.

Due to that, I can't even get my purchased MS Store warranty to get me 925 (or 810 replacement) no matter what I do - unless I pay the $250 difference. I have to now send my 810 away directly to Nokia for manufacturer's defect and pray they don't determine water damage or some crap, then send it back and charge me for wasting their time (yep, they do that). And I have to cross my fingers that my phone will freeze or lock up on them when they are testing it. Ugh. **** T-Mobile. **** the Microsoft Store.It's all T-Mobile's fault though - they actually caused the events that led to unspectacular sales which led to them EOLing the device early and then screwing over people like me.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Google Lumia 925 there dozens of pages and reviews all over the place -as far as emails all 3 of my emails addresses got a notice last night 7/16 or early 7/17 -check your junk mail. Full price $529.
I don't remembers anything about the 928 or 920 either.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks you have to send it in to Nokia, my phones been pretty good to me bought it through Frys for 70.00 first one was returned. But honestly I still like the the unit it performs well and don't run into lock ups very often. For me I'll ride out my contract and hope they make phones with SD storage and battery's you can replace/pull. My fear is that's not going to happen further down the road, if they actually made 64/128 gigs of storage standard we wouldn't have to micro manage our phones. I hate when CE corps play the storage game and chisel the hardware down to micro units same with the mega pixel game.

My local store didn't even have any 925's today! SMFH hands in pocket head down and just walked out. Yup next unit will be unbranded and unlocked lessen learned. I will never ever buy into a carrier branded phone EVER!! lol The worst part of it all is unbranding the 810 is completely useless talk about a pink elephant. It's actually my first real smart phone and it is a shame we have to learn about these things due to corporate neglect. Maybe I'm at fault for not researching deep into the politics of it all, and getting suckered into the thought of 18/36 months support advertisements from phone company's like tmob. Isn't that illegal? I don't know I'm no lawyer but really don't have the time to deal with tech hardware wars in court as mad as I am at tmob and I solely blame them for the lack of support.

Is 5 months the new norm for future phones? Is Nokia just going keep pumping out new hardware and keep the factory's lit 24/7? Are carriers going to get away with these false advertisements about phone support only to drop the hardware after five months? Now you get to buy the phone out right and get stuck with payments or pay full price for a locked phone from the carrier? After which they EOL after five months and have total control over the phones future? Now your stuck with a phone you paid full price for but are still shackled by the chains of the carrier only to deny you an unlock code unless you spend some money. I don't like the way this looks seems like a serious waste of energy and hardware only to be discarded after so many months.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven't gone and looked at the 925. I'm stuck with the 810 for awhile ($ wise), not sure when I'll jump to another phone (need a new laptop/tablet first). But when I do, it will be a Unbranded, Unlocked device. Hopefully when that time comes, there will be some sort of selection from Nokia or someone else in the Windows Phone lineup.

i'm with ya.. well not because of the $ but because of not having it supported by TMo... however, it still a solid device for use on a daily basis, so will hang on to this bad boy til i see an opportunity to snag a 920 unlocked for a steal.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I actually don't find that amusing. If this site were helping to put pressure on 810, it would help. As it is, WPCentral is acting like this problem doesn't exist because it might put a negative light on WP.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, my 810's days have been numbered...since 09/01/12 - the manufactured date.

I may still keep mine because I'm too broke & jaded to buy a new phone. This is my last contract related, carrier phone. Ever.

Sad, but I will be switching to an iPhone if there is no Amber update. I can't deal with the music and storage issues.

Until Microsoft realizes the issue and pushes their own updates, I don't want to deal with this OS.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
i'm with ya.. well not because of the $ but because of not having it supported by TMo... however, it still a solid device for use on a daily basis, so will hang on to this bad boy til i see an opportunity to snag a 920 unlocked for a steal.
Oh ya, I'm going to hang onto my 810. I really, REALLY like it. For how I use it, it is absolutely perfect. The physical size is just right, microSD support, wireless charging, sensitive touch, the camera is perfect for what I take pictures of, and removable battery. It has ALL the features that I want and need.

I keep looking at all the new phones coming out, and I look back at my 810 and realize, this device is still the device I want and need. The only things that would make it perfect is, more on board storage, LTE and more radio frequencies support (i.e. "world phone"), and T-mobile to give us all the F&#*%!G updates it deserves! Emphasis on the last!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99