Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
MSFTisMIA is right, arguing with customer service at T-Mo is pointless, they actually hung up on me, but I was calling about their contract cancellation fee. So just real quick any one who paid the migration fee to go to the "no contract" plan like I did stupidly, you are more than likely still under contract until your actual contract is up. I paid the migration fee to get the 810, but I have been traveling more for work and the areas I travel to have zero service from T-Mo, so I had to switch carriers, after switching I had a nice $200 cancellation fee. 3 days of arguing with customer service that I didn't have a contract according to the store and being hung up on, I let the BBB handle it for me. They did wave the fee finally.

I did the same thing (Migrate from Contract to No Contract) except one thing... i didn't have to pay the migration fee or any of that... i even asked.. mind if i ask how long ago was this? I've recently (about a week 1/2 ago) switched to Simple Choice Plan w/ 2gb unlimited data for an additional $10 on top of what i currently pay $49 + EI (Equipment Installment) of $20.. my monthly bill should be totalling no more than $90 a month or less (including taxes and fees).. still way cheaper than AT&T, Verizon or Sprint imho.. but although i'm now on a "NO Contract" plan, when i request for my device to be unlocked - they mentioned that the device have to be paid off which was a bit odd since i didn't have an issue with doing so on my previous devices.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Sahib, all we 810 users have is the time to wait...after all, when your phone gets EOL'ed, all you have is either the time to use it or sell it...

I have the 810 and yes I sort of stated the obvious, but Im just saying we just have to wait a little bit longer to see but like i stated earlier im not changing my stance on the whole T-Mobile updateding the 810 thing

David Poindexter

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I did the same thing (Migrate from Contract to No Contract) except one thing... i didn't have to pay the migration fee or any of that... i even asked.. mind if i ask how long ago was this? I've recently (about a week 1/2 ago) switched to Simple Choice Plan w/ 2gb unlimited data for an additional $10 on top of what i currently pay $49 + EI (Equipment Installment) of $20.. my monthly bill should be totalling no more than $90 a month or less (including taxes and fees).. still way cheaper than AT&T, Verizon or Sprint imho.. but although i'm now on a "NO Contract" plan, when i request for my device to be unlocked - they mentioned that the device have to be paid off which was a bit odd since i didn't have an issue with doing so on my previous devices.

I paid the migration fee in April, and had to switch carriers this month. Make sure you check your bill though, because the migration fee appeared on my May bill I didn't pay that at the store. So the way it was explained to me by Customer Service, if you had purchased a phone at a discount, then the migration fee is to make up the cost of the phone. You are still under contract until your existing contract is up. The way the store explained it was that the migration fee cancels the contract...So my argument with them was, if I walked into the store with cash to purchase a phone outright, why would I have paid an additional $200 migration fee. If they had explained to me that I was no longer off contract I would've just purchased the phone outright.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

the reason they did it before is you were under contract. I have been a loyal customer for 8 years and I had the same issue phone paid off first then unlock

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I paid the migration fee in April, and had to switch carriers this month. Make sure you check your bill though, because the migration fee appeared on my May bill I didn't pay that at the store. So the way it was explained to me by Customer Service, if you had purchased a phone at a discount, then the migration fee is to make up the cost of the phone. You are still under contract until your existing contract is up. The way the store explained it was that the migration fee cancels the contract...So my argument with them was, if I walked into the store with cash to purchase a phone outright, why would I have paid an additional $200 migration fee. If they had explained to me that I was no longer off contract I would've just purchased the phone outright.

Well.. if i ever see the migration fee on my next bill so be it.. pay it off then i would just simply cancel out my contract and TMO can go f*** themselves... i've been on a loyal customer since Voicestream era (yea.. more than a decade ago..) plus, i've been having an itch to try out other carriers anyways.. since 3 out of 4 major carriers already have better plans as far as upgrades and no contract deals.. why the hell not = ) ... now, will i stay with WP? I'm on the fence... my 810's days are numbered.. just waiting to see if we will FOR SURE be getting updates sometime this summer.. otherwise, back to Android world.. main reason why i tried WP is coz of its user simplicity, above average camera and impressive battery life.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I paid the etf and moved to a no contract plan. Was paying 110 for 2 lines, one with 2GB and for the contract coz of which i got the 810 free. Now after the etf of 200, i am paying only 80 and the phone is mine. I dont want to pay 30 extra per month for the next 17 months for an eol'd phone which according to me is a very solid device and has better stability than other high end lumias.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I paid the etf and moved to a no contract plan. Was paying 110 for 2 lines, one with 2GB and for the contract coz of which i got the 810 free. Now after the etf of 200, i am paying only 80 and the phone is mine. I dont want to pay 30 extra per month for the next 17 months for an eol'd phone which according to me is a very solid device and has better stability than other high end lumias.

I hear ya.. if only they've ever released a unbranded 810's, would've been awesome.. has all the features i need and look for.. like a high-end on DIET.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ooooh, my situation has been resolved. I talked to the right person. Went to the Microsoft Store to talk to the store manager today about exchanging my 810 (That I had originally bought back in November, with my last exchange being in February). Coincidence, but the store manager is ALSO stuck with an 810 and he just wants to get rid of it now for a 925 as well. Anyway, he heard the story of my defective 810 (I'm sure it helped that my phone froze a few minutes before I walked in the store), and he did a price match for the 925 - bringing it down from $699 to $529. He charged me the difference between my $450 810 and the 925, so I walked out of there with a brand new Lumia 925 for $80!

Good riddance, 810! Now I get to enjoy 5 months with the 925 until that gets EOL'd as well ;) As long as it doesn't give me freezing issues and such, then I'll be okay :D

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Ooooh, my situation has been resolved. I talked to the right person. Went to the Microsoft Store to talk to the store manager today about exchanging my 810 (That I had originally bought back in November, with my last exchange being in February). Coincidence, but the store manager is ALSO stuck with an 810 and he just wants to get rid of it now for a 925 as well. Anyway, he heard the story of my defective 810 (I'm sure it helped that my phone froze a few minutes before I walked in the store), and he did a price match for the 925 - bringing it down from $699 to $529. He charged me the difference between my $450 810 and the 925, so I walked out of there with a brand new Lumia 925 for $80!

Good riddance, 810! Now I get to enjoy 5 months with the 925 until that gets EOL'd as well ;) As long as it doesn't give me freezing issues and such, then I'll be okay :D

quick, someone call him a liar

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site

lol good stuff!.. so wait, did you pay off the device prior to exhanging it to 925 or went and bought it out right back in November? Coz i don't think (correct me if i'm wrong) you could trade in your device w/o paying it off first coz you'll still be tied to a contract. Unless you're already on a No Contract plan.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

$80?! Holy crap, you're lucky and I'm green with envy!!! Congrats and enjoy your new 925!!! :grin:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
lol good stuff!.. so wait, did you pay off the device prior to exhanging it to 925 or went and bought it out right back in November? Coz i don't think (correct me if i'm wrong) you could trade in your device w/o paying it off first coz you'll still be tied to a contract. Unless you're already on a No Contract plan.
I paid full price, off-contract, back in November. I have an old plan that won't let me do upgrades without raising the price of my plan anyway. I paid $99 for the 2-year Assure warranty, so that is probably why they were able to help me so long after purchase. Either the insurance deposit was waived, or I was given a one-time "sorry you're having issues and your device went EOL so early" pass... but I did ask and my insurance was transferred over to the 925 (I was also reminded that this was a one-time deal, I can't move insurance between any more devices).

For those that don't know, the Assure warranty at Microsoft Stores allows you to turn in your old phone and walk out of the store with a brand new one - exact same phone, of course. They don't do repairs.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For those that don't know, the Assure warranty at Microsoft Stores allows you to turn in your old phone and walk out of the store with a brand new one - exact same phone, of course. They don't do repairs.

Yeah, that's why I bought mine at a Microsoft Store. I'm waiting until it gets closer to November before I make a decision on this stuff. Good to hear about the deal, though. Gives me a little hope. But I'm still leaning toward bailing on WP completely.

Which store did you go to in case others here are in the area?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Despite the stunts T-Mobile has been doing with their WP phones, I plan on staying the course with Windows Phone. I blame most of this on T-Mobile rather than MS.

I've used Android, but mostly 2.1 and 2.2, and had a lot of freezing and rebooting issues. My now ex-girlfriend had something like ICS, and it was treating her well, but I will not use Android for my phone. I do plan on getting an Android tablet though.. And Apple, let's just say I am not a fan.....

I'm on my HTC HD7 now with 7.8 (7.8 with no help from T-Mobile) and am excited about the possibility of getting back to WP 8 within the next couple of months....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
oh, I will say one thing though. MS is moving WAY TOO SLOWLY fixing issues like having separate volume control over media and ringing and such and how about custom notifications. Also FIX THE FREAKING OTHER STORAGE ISSUE!!!

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Despite the stunts T-Mobile has been doing with their WP phones, I plan on staying the course with Windows Phone. I blame most of this on T-Mobile rather than MS.

I've used Android, but mostly 2.1 and 2.2, and had a lot of freezing and rebooting issues. My now ex-girlfriend had something like ICS, and it was treating her well, but I will not use Android for my phone. I do plan on getting an Android tablet though.. And Apple, let's just say I am not a fan.....

I'm on my HTC HD7 now with 7.8 (7.8 with no help from T-Mobile) and am excited about the possibility of getting back to WP 8 within the next couple of months....

2.1 / 2.2 .... bless your heart.. if you haven't gotten your hands on the 4.1 / 4.2 you're seriously missing out (not that you care about androids anyway). I do have a nexus 7 tablet that i often use when i can so it's always nice to have both platforms with me wherever i go. The only thing thats keeping me from jumping off boat completely is the battery life, nice camera and anti-lagging user experience. There aren't any Android phones outhere in its price range that can match the performance. Just disappointed from its lack of support coming from TMo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel