Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I know some want this thread to close now, but there are still more updates coming...let's see how many months before T-Mobile "allows" the next update to bless the Nokia Lumia 810....

Considering the article on the front of WP Central now, showing we are far and away one of the first to receive this update, maybe we were wrong and should change the script about tmobile, who have done well with this update

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
"Yes Lord, T-Mobile is the greatest! I knew that my phone needed an update, I saw the other carriers handing them out, but until T-Mobile does it, it's not good! I should have just been patience and put up with a broken phone until T-Mobile decided to fix it...all hail T-Mobile!"

(is that better :eek:rly:)

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering the article on the front of WP Central now, showing we are far and away one of the first to receive this update, maybe we were wrong and should change the script about tmobile, who have done well with this update

I'm sorry...but no praises from t-mo for me. If you one of the very early adopters who was around with the portico update, they rolled it put the same way as they did with this update...very seamlessly. So why should I be praising them for something that they know how to do? We live in a society that hammers you for screwups and doing your job is expected - no breaks there. Remember these updates are minor in the grand scheme of things - so I won't be surprised if we get GDR3 also. It is 8.1 will really determine how t-mo handles an EOL'ed WP8 device. If they support it as announced by MSFT, my cynicism will wane. If not...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly ^. Had T-Mobile pushed out the earlier versions of firmware, we could have used the Nokia Storage Check app months ago...sorry, but I don't feel like I should be falling to the ground with praise nor retracting anything that I said or typed...case in point, I'm in the process of backing all data up because I don't have the storage space to even enjoy this update yet....

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
"Yes Lord, T-Mobile is the greatest! I knew that my phone needed an update, I saw the other carriers handing them out, but until T-Mobile does it, it's not good! I should have just been patience and put up with a broken phone until T-Mobile decided to fix it...all hail T-Mobile!"

(is that better :eek:rly:)

No, it's absurd hyperbole.

My point was pretty obvious. Sitting around ****ting on them after being one of the first to get the update maybe is wrong.

It's pretty obvious this forum is just here to complain at this point. I've got no complaints with T Mobile. I don't expect much. I expect the minimum because they are the cheap telecom cost wise. I bought the 810 the first week it came out. Got Portico. FIne. This update came in a timely fashion, regardless of what this thread says over and over and over.

They're a telecom company. They aren't good. None of them are. But they certainly aren't holding us down and raping us, as one would think if they went back and read this thread from the beginning. It's borderline hysteria.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No, it's absurd hyperbole.

My point was pretty obvious. Sitting around ****ting on them after being one of the first to get the update maybe is wrong.

It's pretty obvious this forum is just here to complain at this point. I've got no complaints with T Mobile. I don't expect much. I expect the minimum because they are the cheap telecom cost wise. I bought the 810 the first week it came out. Got Portico. FIne. This update came in a timely fashion, regardless of what this thread says over and over and over.

They're a telecom company. They aren't good. None of them are. But they certainly aren't holding us down and raping us, as one would think if they went back and read this thread from the beginning. It's borderline hysteria.
You, sir, are an apologist and obviously a company man. You obviously didn't read the thread title...it's called T-Mobile EOL'd the Nokia Lumia 810 and will we get updates...it was started over 4 months ago...if you got your updates, and all is well in your world, why are you still posting here? Some of us are having a discussion, you like to come in every so often and point your finger and say "don't do that"...enjoy your phone, soldier.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

The way T-mobile, Nokia and MS have handled this mess is appauling. All T-Mobile had to say is we are working with Nokia and Microsoft to get the update out and we expect to have it completed by August. This may change due to unforseen circumstances...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The way T-mobile, Nokia and MS have handled this mess is appauling. All T-Mobile had to say is we are working with Nokia and Microsoft to get the update out and we expect to have it completed by August. This may change due to unforseen circumstances...

This is the ultimate point here. They (T-Mo, Nokia) didn't even have to come out with a timeline. A simple statement saying that they would support the hardware as best as possible even though they EOL'ed the phone would have sufficed. I don't see pointing that out makes us to be whiners and complainers. As I've said to folks before, if you think I'm a whiner and complainer, buy me a 925 and pay for my monthly service...so when t-mo ****s with your money you can ***** and complain to your heart's content. Peoples cynicism was well grounded based on how t-mo has handled updates to other well selling models too (Radar and 710).

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been a few days since I've logged in so I missed the news. CONGRATULATIONS 810 OWNERS!!! I am happy that T-Mobile did in fact support their product and that with luck MS/Nokia/T-Mobile corrected the number one issue for the phone, the other storage problem.

CONGRATS!!!

As far as the death of the thread, I can imagine that it will become less active, especially that the number one issue is likely resolved. However you still have a phone that came out in what, November of 2012 and should expect the ability to update it for, is it twenty four months now up from eighteen. So if Nokia and T-Mobile treats you all well, you should expect GDR3 and WP8.1/Blue.

Are you going to get it? I certainly will be interested. But again, congratulations 810 owners.....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's been a few days since I've logged in so I missed the news. CONGRATULATIONS 810 OWNERS!!! I am happy that T-Mobile did in fact support their product and that with luck MS/Nokia/T-Mobile corrected the number one issue for the phone, the other storage problem.

CONGRATS!!!

As far as the death of the thread, I can imagine that it will become less active, especially that the number one issue is likely resolved. However you still have a phone that came out in what, November of 2012 and should expect the ability to update it for, is it twenty four months now up from eighteen. So if Nokia and T-Mobile treats you all well, you should expect GDR3 and WP8.1/Blue.

Are you going to get it? I certainly will be interested. But again, congratulations 810 owners.....

This thread wont die so easily. It depends on what t-mo does going forward to update the 810. If it gets all scheduled updates during its lifecycle and eligibility, sure...this thread dies a quick death. Otherwise, people will still use it.

Personally, having used the Amber update so far for a few days, i still have mixed feelings. My Other is at 2.1GB firmly, so that's good. Battery life is worse for me than before, and I'm pretty judicious with it. Colors are softer on screen, which had me feeling indifferent. I'd like to get a 925 but don't trust t-mo with the update either as much as i don't want to live with the 16GB storage. While the 810 is nice, is still feels like Nokia missed the boat here and t-mo imploded it.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Battery life for me has been horrible. I'm very judicious with what task I have running, etc. Have done numerous soft resets and 3 hard resets. Last one seemed to do the trick but my battery life is acting up again. The phone gets REAL hot, like its in overdrive. Battery life plummets, sometimes dead in less than 5 hours, and that's with minimal usage

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Battery life for me has been horrible. I'm very judicious with what task I have running, etc. Have done numerous soft resets and 3 hard resets. Last one seemed to do the trick but my battery life is acting up again. The phone gets REAL hot, like its in overdrive. Battery life plummets, sometimes dead in less than 5 hours, and that's with minimal usage

Probably better to just do a fresh flash after resetting the phone, through care suite. I know it sucks but what else can you do...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Same thing I experience ( not the heat but the drain) then found out that Bluetooth was on all the time -turned it off back to normal.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Same thing I experience ( not the heat but the drain) then found out that Bluetooth was on all the time -turned it off back to normal.

my bluetooth is off and the battery drain on the 810 is terrible, at least for my use. I honestly keep saying to myself more and more to just repair my 8X and buy a 1020 later...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you let the battery drain completely and then recharged? I was averaging 15 hours before the update, after the update, about 8 hours...did the battery drain and it's getting better.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you let the battery drain completely and then recharged? I was averaging 15 hours before the update, after the update, about 8 hours...did the battery drain and it's getting better.

That's called Battery Calibration. This trick is also recommended to address unusual battery depletion problems on laptops (of any model and any brand!). This is a common problem with rechargeable batteries.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I let my batteries go into single ddigits before charging. I let one even completely die before charging since the update. No difference. Before, running what I call light tasks like the music player and browser or music and WPCentral app simultaneously wouldn't the battery as much. But now it does. I'm in that 12 hour range now, that's with it in flight mode because my job site was an old precinct building. Before the update I got 15-17 hours comfortably.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99