Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Staying on WP would be sweet and I must say I've not researched if or how well a Motorola would work on T-Mobile's network.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
For most carriers, you are right. The problem is that T-Mo doesn't have an ETF on the plans, it's on the device. So, if I walk in, grab a new Galaxy Note 3 for $250 (T-Mobile is on the hook for $500 on that one), sell it two days later as "new" for $550 and cancel my plan, I am up $300 and back to my Lumia 810 on a prepaid plan. T-Mobile on the other hand is out $250 for that device and can only send me to collections to get their money back. Until I pay them, they are on the hook for that device at the full cost to them. It's much more economical for them to sell $300 phones that they pay $100-150 for than it is to sell $500-750 phones that they pay $300-500 for. I believe I read online that their price for their own Nexus 5 was actually MORE than the Google store price for end users because of the specialty software that was loaded. If that's the case, they give that away to someone, they walk away after the first month and T-Mo is out $400...

I understand that they may eventually get their money back from either the user or collections, but in the mean time, if 100 people do this, they are out $40,000... Since they added over a million subs last quarter, a 1% rate would be 1,000 people (if I did my math right) and that would equal $400,000 in phone losses. If they were writing off $50 handsets like the Lumia 521, they would only be writing off $50,000... That's a big difference.

It just doesn't strike me that this behavior is all that frequent. One would think that there are few that would buy a "new phone" from someone other than the retailer at prices over or close to retail. It would also be hard to imagine that many people would ding their credit for such a lame one time stunt.

My main argument is that T-Mobile has a nice phone with the 925 and really doesn't need a "monster high end phone" but should have done all they could to have stocked a 32gb variant of the 925 for the fairly sizeable amount of us that balked at the 925 because of its storage situation.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Haven't checked in in a while...long story short, my 810 and HD2 were both stolen from me, leaving me with my broken HD7. T-Mobile wants $150 for a replacement for an EOL'd phone, or buy something else...as I much as I love WP and loathe Android, I might be getting the Note 3 today...Microsoft and T-Mobile need to get it together with the updates and high end phones only going to AT&T while T-Mobile basks in the sunlight of cheap, stripped down phones that don't get supported because they don't sell. If they can get their act together, I'll be more than happy to return to WP...good luck to everyone still holding down the fort, I hope you get the updates that you deserve.

(before AT&T is suggested, I'm not switching carriers just to get a good phone that won't be updated by AT&T)

Dr, sorry to hear about that. Perhaps i can suggest an unlocked device? ExpansysUSA has some very good prices...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Would T-Mo replace it with the 925 or a refurb 810? It might be worth it to snag a 925... Or just grab one of the 521's on sale right now for $79...

I think he bought his outright, so he mat be screwed there. I'd suggest either grabbing a 521 or going the unlocked route...for that same $250 with contract for a note 3, you could snag a 8X, 820 or Ativ S outright...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I paid for my 810 at launch and for the $150 that T-Mobile wants for a replacement, that's too much. I decided on the Note 3 because I actually had 3 phones taken, and one was a Sprint G3. I don't want to leave WP, but Microsoft with WP and T-Mobile leaves too much to be desired, I've been rolling with MS since the Treo 700WX and I'm tired of short changing myself just to stay with WP...I can go to AT&T and get a great phone, but then join others upset that AT&T hasn't rolled out updates or stay with T-Mobile and continue to get the stripped down version of the phone. Bottom line is I need a new phone, and the 521 and 925 won't cut it for me anymore.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I paid for my 810 at launch and for the $150 that T-Mobile wants for a replacement, that's too much. I decided on the Note 3 because I actually had 3 phones taken, and one was a Sprint G3. I don't want to leave WP, but Microsoft with WP and T-Mobile leaves too much to be desired, I've been rolling with MS since the Treo 700WX and I'm tired of short changing myself just to stay with WP...I can go to AT&T and get a great phone, but then join others upset that AT&T hasn't rolled out updates or stay with T-Mobile and continue to get the stripped down version of the phone. Bottom line is I need a new phone, and the 521 and 925 won't cut it for me anymore.

Well, sorry to see you go. For those reasons is why I went unlocked and I'm not looking back. Enjoy the Note 3, as it is very good hardware...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Dr_8820,

Definitely sorry to see you go given how long you've been with WP. I can easily imagine being unhappy with T-Mobile's history of more or less abandoning WP phones, and I've had less experience with it than you (although I seem to be getting a feel for the experience myself). I am also sorry to see you go when we are really starting to see some momentum in both number of users and in significant first party apps. Finally it's too bad you won't have a WP device when 8.1 hits. Not that the 810 will necessarily get it even though 8.1 will hit within eighteen months of the 810's release. I will be very curious as to what 8.1 will bring.

Of course nothing is permanent and I hope you will rejoin us after a brief interregnum/fling with your Note 3...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Haven't checked in in a while...long story short, my 810 and HD2 were both stolen from me, leaving me with my broken HD7. T-Mobile wants $150 for a replacement for an EOL'd phone, or buy something else...as I much as I love WP and loathe Android, I might be getting the Note 3 today...Microsoft and T-Mobile need to get it together with the updates and high end phones only going to AT&T while T-Mobile basks in the sunlight of cheap, stripped down phones that don't get supported because they don't sell. If they can get their act together, I'll be more than happy to return to WP...good luck to everyone still holding down the fort, I hope you get the updates that you deserve.

(before AT&T is suggested, I'm not switching carriers just to get a good phone that won't be updated by AT&T)

Eh. That sucks. Why not just get an unlocked Rogers 920 or another unlocked Rogers WP?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the kinds words from everyone. @metalchick, I was going to get one but I need a SD slot. I didn't pull the trigger yet on the Note because this $99 Dell Venue Pro looks very good to me...and even though I have unlimited, no throttling data with no hotspot, it's working on my HD7..hmm..:)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the kinds words from everyone. @metalchick, I was going to get one but I need a SD slot. I didn't pull the trigger yet on the Note because this $99 Dell Venue Pro looks very good to me...and even though I have unlimited, no throttling data with no hotspot, it's working on my HD7..hmm..:)

that's why you get an unlocked model. for instance, when I didn't have the tethering on t-mo plan, I used to drop my SIM card in my Nexus. It should work the same too.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

There will 20 available per store at that price, AND only 100 NATIONWIDE online, Good luck

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
There's a store about 5 minutes from me...been monitoring things and no one has mentioned the store..plus I plan on being there early to see if I have a shot...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
26 minutes later ? I don't see a difference. I like these kind of updates, no need to wait for apps to reinstall.

Update: new accent color tmobile magenta

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Uhhmmm... t-mobile magenta has been there since 810 release.

Really ? oh well :eek:rly: someone reported that they noticed Verizon Red after the update so I looked and there is
a magenta and tmobile magenta so I just figured they were right. Never mind.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any noticeable improvement after the update. None of the 'faster response' that a lot in WPC are reporting. Not even a placebo effect. Anyone notice anything? Or have we squeezed every bit of good with this mighty brick of ours?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any noticeable improvement after the update. None of the 'faster response' that a lot in WPC are reporting. Not even a placebo effect. Anyone notice anything? Or have we squeezed every bit of good with this mighty brick of ours?
I agree, I haven't noticed anything different on my L810. It still runs great. :evil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb