Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else not getting the GDR3 Preview update? I'm stuck on 8.0.10512.142 and it keeps saying my phone is up to date.

EDIT: Never mind, I just installed the Preview for Developers app again and the update has shown up.

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Still no official OTA GDR3 for the 810?? The T-Mobile version of the HTC 8X is stuck in the same limbo. God I detest T-Mobile.....

I see that AT&T is still selling the 920. How long have they been selling it now, a year and a half??? Correct me if I am wrong. That's great in my book, it certainly is a lot better than the six months that T-Mobile put into selling the 810 and the HTC 8X. I also note that AT&T has created a few new plans to battle T-Mobile. One of them is SOMEWHAT similar, unlimited time but only 300 gb of data for $45. It's not quite enough for me to switch as I get 500 gb of 4g and throttled data after that for $50.

I hope the other cell phone companies match some of T-Mobile's plans so that I can tell T-Mobile to go %$#@^ themselves..... I do appreciate how T-Mobile has shaken up the cell phone situation here in the US, but they really have not engendered any loyalty from me for their crappy and amateurish customer service and how they have shafted Windows Phones devices time and time again.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Still no official OTA GDR3 for the 810?? The T-Mobile version of the HTC 8X is stuck in the same limbo. God I detest T-Mobile.....

I see that AT&T is still selling the 920. How long have they been selling it now, a year and a half??? Correct me if I am wrong. That's great in my book, it certainly is a lot better than the six months that T-Mobile put into selling the 810 and the HTC 8X. I also note that AT&T has created a few new plans to battle T-Mobile. One of them is SOMEWHAT similar, unlimited time but only 300 gb of data for $45. It's not quite enough for me to switch as I get 500 gb of 4g and throttled data after that for $50.

I hope the other cell phone companies match some of T-Mobile's plans so that I can tell T-Mobile to go %$#@^ themselves..... I do appreciate how T-Mobile has shaken up the cell phone situation here in the US, but they really have not engendered any loyalty from me for their crappy and amateurish customer service and how they have shafted Windows Phones devices time and time again.

well in their defense ( even though I hate their phone support) att has only released Black for the 1020 but the other carriers have not, so tmobile still could release GDR3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

AT&T sold the 920 for exactly a year in the major stores and retired it once the 925 and 1520 showed up. You can still get it and it is a good deal if you are on their network.

This is the reason why I went unlocked. I have been using Update 3 on my HTC for the last few months and I really like it.. I cannot wit to see what Nokia does with the Lumia Black addons for the 920. You've got to keep in mind that these carriers are juggling searching for the next hit, handling phones that are coming in, maintaining requests for popular models. they do a lot of testing and as such, software updates roll out for the popular models first, then the ones like the 8X and 810 get theirs later. I trust the OEMs a lot more these days so while I may not get T-Mobile's full speeds, what I get in data is plenty and the peace of mind knowing the OEMs will give me timely updates is better than relying on t-mo...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess the 920 was launched on November 11th, 2012. I've not checked if it is available at retail stores, but they are selling it online for a contract free price of $299 which is somewhat tempting except that I just bought a HTC 8X about a month and a half ago and AT&T's cheap rate caps data at 300 mb which is possible for me as I do little streaming while out and about. I am impressed though that they sold it for a reasonable amount of time and while I hear that AT&T is not particularly quick with updates, I would expect that they will in fact support it all the way through 8.1. I really can't say the same about T-Mobile's support of the 810 or HTC 8X. I expect that both may end up getting GDR 3, but I severely doubt T-Mobile will do the right thing and release 8.1 for them.

Do you remember waazzupppp's description of what he thought was going to happen?

"I have a sneaky suspicion that the last update that the 810 will see will be GRD3. It's going to be much the same case as GDR2 though - where most of the changes are under the hood. We just don't have a device that takes advantage of enough of the new features to notice. Our screens are a lower resolution, our cameras aren't PureView, our 8GB of internal storage fills quickly... It just won't be all that awesome.

As far as 8.1 goes... I bet we will see GDR3 in February to March officially from T-Mobile. This gives them time to roll out the 1520 variant, mark down the 925's and move on to the next generation of devices. The 925 will see GDR3 right away - probably in time for Christmas. The 810 should follow in early 2014. This pushes the monstrous release of 8.1 to July/August of 2014 - or about the time that MS guaranteed support for current devices."

I expect that many of us have been running GDR 3 for a month or more on our 810's and HTC 8X's. Just like my experience doing a cab update for the HTC HD7 to 7.8, I found that the phone functions well. I read all the talk about rolling, out, marking down and basically delaying support till the end of the guaranteed support as manipulation. These companies are amateurish assholes. Why not let the carrot of the advance of technology drive sales instead of the rod of denying updates?

T-Mobile could have easily have done the same thing with the 925, sell it as the linchpin of WP on their network, but that only would have worked if they had a second 32gb variant for sale. If they had both variants and sold them for an extended period of time it may have washed the stink of their continued abandonment of WP devices out of the mouths of their customers.

So clearly I raise my middle finger to T-Mobile for a long line of strategic blunders in their placement/pricing/support of their WP devices. I do appreciate how they have in fact shaken up the carriers in the US sufficiently to where I see there are now opportunities for lower cost coverage at AT&T and Verizon that did not exist before. For that I am happy, however their incompetence in their handling of WP devices has bought me no loyalty to T-Mobile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess the 920 was launched on November 11th, 2012. I've not checked if it is available at retail stores, but they are selling it online for a contract free price of $299 which is somewhat tempting except that I just bought a HTC 8X about a month and a half ago and AT&T's cheap rate caps data at 300 mb which is possible for me as I do little streaming while out and about. I am impressed though that they sold it for a reasonable amount of time and while I hear that AT&T is not particularly quick with updates, I would expect that they will in fact support it all the way through 8.1. I really can't say the same about T-Mobile's support of the 810 or HTC 8X. I expect that both may end up getting GDR 3, but I severely doubt T-Mobile will do the right thing and release 8.1 for them.

Do you remember waazzupppp's description of what he thought was going to happen?

"I have a sneaky suspicion that the last update that the 810 will see will be GRD3. It's going to be much the same case as GDR2 though - where most of the changes are under the hood. We just don't have a device that takes advantage of enough of the new features to notice. Our screens are a lower resolution, our cameras aren't PureView, our 8GB of internal storage fills quickly... It just won't be all that awesome.

As far as 8.1 goes... I bet we will see GDR3 in February to March officially from T-Mobile. This gives them time to roll out the 1520 variant, mark down the 925's and move on to the next generation of devices. The 925 will see GDR3 right away - probably in time for Christmas. The 810 should follow in early 2014. This pushes the monstrous release of 8.1 to July/August of 2014 - or about the time that MS guaranteed support for current devices."

I expect that many of us have been running GDR 3 for a month or more on our 810's and HTC 8X's. Just like my experience doing a cab update for the HTC HD7 to 7.8, I found that the phone functions well. I read all the talk about rolling, out, marking down and basically delaying support till the end of the guaranteed support as manipulation. These companies are amateurish assholes. Why not let the carrot of the advance of technology drive sales instead of the rod of denying updates?

T-Mobile could have easily have done the same thing with the 925, sell it as the linchpin of WP on their network, but that only would have worked if they had a second 32gb variant for sale. If they had both variants and sold them for an extended period of time it may have washed the stink of their continued abandonment of WP devices out of the mouths of their customers.

So clearly I raise my middle finger to T-Mobile for a long line of strategic blunders in their placement/pricing/support of their WP devices. I do appreciate how they have in fact shaken up the carriers in the US sufficiently to where I see there are now opportunities for lower cost coverage at AT&T and Verizon that did not exist before. For that I am happy, however their incompetence in their handling of WP devices has bought me no loyalty to T-Mobile.

I will suggest expansys USA once more. Samsung Ativ S unlocked is $235; HTC 8X unlocked is $250; Lumia 920 is $300 unlocked. If you're craving the network speeds, you buy a carrier model and suffer what comes with it. Otherwise, you cannot beat those prices outright...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of customer churn.... AT&T has a program right now that will give T-Mobile customers $200 if they switch their phone number to AT&T's Next/Mobile Share programs. So I've ordered the glossy red 920!!!! 32mb of internal space and freaking RED! There's going to be a couple of downsides of course; there was no taxes on my T-Mobile prepaid and my new plan has only 300mb of data instead of throttled after 500. But overall without taxes the increase over my T-Mobile plan INCLUDING the cost of financing the phone is $6.54.

I'd much rather be on a standard phone like the 920. AT&T is in fact still selling them after slightly over a year which means they have a commitment to the phone that I was never sure that T-Mobile did (and we do know T-Mobile's history with WP).

RED RED RED RED!

P.S. Anyone want to buy a T-Mobile HTC 8X bought new a month and a half ago (with Zagg and Incipio Feather Touch case)?
(Edit: I requested my unlock code last night and just now received it. That was pretty quick and PERFECT timing.)

Last edited:

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there will be any more updates, at least from T-Mobile and Nokia... It's a shame since I was looking to buy it. :/
Device: Lumia 810
Carrier: T-Mobile
Firmware: 3043.0000.1326.0017
Amber: Available
Black: Not available
As a comparison the Lumia 521 says:
Lumia 521
T-Mobile
3046.0000.1328.202x
Available
Waiting for approval
Here's the link to the page Availability in North America - Nokia

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they said all wp8 devices for Lumia Black, but they did say for 8.1 and such it is up to the carriers for when the update is delivered. They will almost definitely have a preview for all upcoming updates, so all hope isn't completely lost.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
yeah I saw that the omitted the 810 this time I thought I was looking at the wrong page but I was on the right one so I guess amber was the last firmware for the 810

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire