Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Compatibility

Nokia Lumia 520, 520T, 521, 525, 620, 625, 720, 720T, 810, 820, 822, 920, 920T, 925, 925T, 928, 1020, 1320 and 1520.

Black update - Not available
I don't know what to say, except disappointed....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
READ here Availability in North America - Nokia

It's T MOBIL that won't distribute it's not NOKIA who is making that decision.

T MOBILE DOESN'T FOLLOW MICROSOFTS POLICY CONCERING UPDATES THEY DON'T FOLLOW NOKIA'S EITHER.

This is MICROSOFT'S OFFICIAL POLICY

Microsoft today announced an increase in the length of the company's support lifecycle for Windows Phone 8, from 18 months to 36 months**. Beginning with Windows Phone 8, Microsoft notes in an official blog post that updates, including security updates will be available for 36 months. Each update will (as we already know) incremental, with each release building on the preceding one. While the company will have the update available, the MOBILE OPERATOR and / or mobile phone manufacturer* may control the distribution of updates.

DATED JUNE 11, 2013

** 36 MONTHS FROM THE TIME PHONE WAS RELEASED NOT OWNERSHIP.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
READ here Availability in North America - Nokia

It's T MOBIL that won't distribute it's not NOKIA who is making that decision.

T MOBILE DOESN'T FOLLOW MICROSOFTS POLICY CONCERING UPDATES THEY DON'T FOLLOW NOKIA'S EITHER.

This is MICROSOFT'S OFFICIAL POLICY

Microsoft today announced an increase in the length of the company's support lifecycle for Windows Phone 8, from 18 months to 36 months**. Beginning with Windows Phone 8, Microsoft notes in an official blog post that updates, including security updates will be available for 36 months. Each update will (as we already know) incremental, with each release building on the preceding one. While the company will have the update available, the MOBILE OPERATOR and / or mobile phone manufacturer* may control the distribution of updates.

DATED JUNE 11, 2013

** 36 MONTHS FROM THE TIME PHONE WAS RELEASED NOT OWNERSHIP.
I think that falls under OS updates not firmware updates

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Since we've all agreed and figured out before that it's T-mobile that's the problem.. Anyone else with me in getting @JohnLegere on twitter to notice this issue? My last and only tweet was a bit incomprehensible since I tried cramming too much in a single tweet. My link to the availability page got buried. Lol

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Since we've all agreed and figured out before that it's T-mobile that's the problem.. Anyone else with me in getting @JohnLegere on twitter to notice this issue? My last and only tweet was a bit incomprehensible since I tried cramming too much in a single tweet. My link to the availability page got buried. Lol

Add this to the beginning of tweets 1/3, 2/3 and the last one 3/3 that way you can send 3 tweets and they will know it's only 1 of 3 or 2 of 3 etc.
Anyway who is JohnLegere ?

KPF

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow. There is no technical reason why it can't be updated. This has way better specs than the 521. Maybe I'll just get a Nexus 5.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So it has begun:
Nokia Lumia Black update begins rollout - Nokia Conversations

Are there any of my comrades left in this battle we wage? (Lol)

Yea, I'm wondering how many 810 owners there are still as well. However I do not see that as valid rationalization for not working with Nokia on providing firmware support for the 810. It really puts the lie to the concept that "EOL does not mean end of support." We are not talking about a two or three year old phone but one that was released only about fourteen months ago, just slightly over a year ago. REALLY ****TY T-MOBILE!!!!

I absolutely agree that there is a massive contradiction between Legere stating that he is interested in removing "pain points" for their customers and out of the other side of one's mouth decline to support a phone released a year ago....

I'm getting my AT&T 920 today, it's not yet arrived. I view this as excellent timing to switch and flip off T-Mobile. Thanks for the fish and the "excellent customer service" wankers....

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting my AT&T 920 today, it's not yet arrived. I view this as excellent timing to switch and flip off T-Mobile. Thanks for the fish and the "excellent customer service" wankers....
I wish I could do the same, either ditch t-mo or buy a new phone... But my finances are tight. (Sigh)

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile had two year contracts still when the 810 came out. So if someone started a new two year contract at launch with the 810 they are now stuck with a phone halfway through their contract that will likely not get further firmware support.

The second question becomes, is T-Mobile going to release GDR 3 OTA, or is further OS updates only available through the Developers Preview?

I'm sure you understand my position but I would like to express my contempt at T-Mobile for the revelation there will be no Black update for the 810.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could do the same, either ditch t-mo or buy a new phone... But my finances are tight. (Sigh)

It really depends upon your data usage. The lowest AT&T Next plan ends up being almost identical to the lowest T-Mobile prepaid plan however there's a 300mg cap with AT&T vs. 500 mg then throttled with T-Mobile. In fact including financing the 920 over 26months ends up being $6.51 or so over what I was paying before. However there's tax with the Next and none with the prepaid T-Mobile, so the real cost will be higher. However AT&T may very well still be running their $200 dollar payment to switch promotion. Last idea, is speaking of tight finances, I'm still unemployed.....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I would think if TM released GDR3 it would have Black too and vice versa (released Black, GDR3 would be included ?)
just like when they distributed Amber OTA it included GDR2

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I would think if TM released GDR3 it would have Black too and vice versa (released Black, GDR3 would be included ?)
just like when they distributed Amber OTA it included GDR2

So if I understand the implication then you are stating that T-Mobile will likely not release GDR 3 OTA for the 810? Is that your implication?

(I think you are likely right in your deduction.)

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So, we 810 users are not alone. Five Lumias won't get the Black update ("Not Available" status of Black update)

810 - T-Mobile (North America-USA)
520 - 3 Italy (Europe-Italy)
720 - Wind (Europe-Italy)
720T - CMCC (Asia Pacific-China)
925T - CMCC (Asia Pacific-China)

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Okay so we probably won't be getting the Black update, but the Black features weren't THAT exciting to begin with. As long as we have the GDR3 Preview, I think we can survive til WP8.1, when Microsoft will hopefully release a preview. I'll hold on to my 810 until WP8.1 is announced. I'll ditch it if there is no preview, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss