Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok,so after reflashing, redownloading GDR3, resetting and reading WPCentral, I finally managed to get Glance screen notifications working on my Lumia 810. This is what I did:

1) Install GDR3 Preview (could be optional, someone not on GDR3 Preview can verify?)
2) Install the latest Extras+Info, Glance, and Glance Background

extras+info | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

glance | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Glance Background | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3) Enable Peek, Always On, or Interval from Glance settings
4) Open Glance Background and select any one picture to start
5) By now you have Glance screen notifications and new glance options (that comes with Black) with the dancing/moving clock enabled under Glance in settings
6) If you want to uninstall Glance Background, you can reset back to no Glance Background and uninstall Glance Background, this doesn't disable the lock screen glance notifications, even after multiple restarts

WP_20140221_22_36_45_Pro.jpg

Enjoy! (.....and FU T-Mobile!!!!)

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The reason you have Glance notifications is because just today Glance updated to V 2.2.0.6 which added that not because you have GDR3.

The reason I have Glance notifications is because of some users (froi francisco & JM_T) posting their results here, me figuring out a way to enable it on my Lumia 810, then post the instructions here...see what I did there..?!! :shocked:

Last edited:

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Let me add that you have glance because you tested a theory and didn't just dismiss it as not possible and 'black' dependent.
-----
Yes the Glance update is the one that brought the new feature. What pankaj was asking is if there was a compatibility requirement to have GDR3 to enable the feature. Some users have reported not getting the feature even after updating Glance with their phones NOT running GDR3. At the very least, pankaj tested that theory here, although it still needed to be cleared up, he did not just dismiss it as BS.

The Adventurer

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Who cares who said what or why. WE HAVE IT! FU T-MOBILE! This plus 8.1 through developer preview and I will be a happy camper. (Who will not be buying a new phone. Double FU T-Mobile!) Maniacal Laugh Maniacal Laugh...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
1) Install GDR3 Preview (could be optional, someone not on GDR3 Preview can verify?)
I can confirm, GDR3 is optional to get Glance. (edit:Add - No Glance Screen Info. Just basic Glance)

wp_ss_20140222_0001.png

This a about my phone (cropped to remove personal info)

wp_ss_20140222_0002 (2).png

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm, GDR3 is optional to get Glance
You mean Glance Notifications? I already had Glance before yesterday's update, Glance Notification was enabled after the update. Also looks like (first screenshot) your new Glance settings have not been unlocked yet

This is how it looks on my 810

wp_ss_20140222_0002.png

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep. You are correct. I forgot to mention that it's still just 'basic glance'. No notifications. Just the clock, and optional background pic if you install the Beta - Glance Background.

I guess you do need GDR3 to get the notifications (aka - Glance Screen info)

P.S.
YES, I have gone through and made sure every app/setting is one the newest versions.
I will be keeping the Developer Preview (GDR3) off the phone for as long as I can stand it, just so I can test things.

Last edited:

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Omg! It works! You need to update both extras + info and glance. It did not show up after I opened both. But when I restarted my phone, the option was there on glance! Yahoo! This is the main reason why I wanted Lumia black!
UPDATE: I just tested it, it does show the notifications on glance screen! Sweet! And there's also the choice of night mode color!

This has worked on my 810 as well, I installed the updates and then restarted the phone. Thanks :)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Very briefly:
I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out*.
* Posted 1-14-2014

Well ?...... so much for your reliable source.

the joke is on you, she just BS'd you,

as anyone could see.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope T-Mobile might just roll out a new firmware when 8.1 gets released, which would include improvements from Black anyways..I hope...I am not missing the update anyways since the only missing piece from Black (Glance Notifications) has now been enabled

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope T-Mobile might just roll out a new firmware when 8.1 gets released, which would include improvements from Black anyways..I hope...I am not missing the update anyways since the only missing piece from Black (Glance Notifications) has now been enabled
8.1 isn't firmware it's OS and it's MS and T Mobile doesn't just send out OS updates,
if you want 8.1 get into the Preview for Developers program and get 8.1 from Microsoft.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
8.1 isn't firmware it's OS and it's MS and T Mobile doesn't just send out OS updates,
if you want 8.1 get into the Preview for Developers program and get 8.1 from Microsoft.

With all due respect, a few days/posts ago I did mention having GDR3 on my 810, now the entire world knows that T-Mobile hasn't pushed GDR3 officially which concludes that I have it through the Developer Preview Program. Also as I mentioned earlier (few posts ago) that I clearly know what's the difference between a firmware and an OS and who pushes what. Technically to get it officially, the OS and firmware should be released from T-Mobile, after MS sends the 8.1 RTM to Nokia which would package it with its firmware and give it to T-Mobile for testing. So unless T-Mobile wishes to push the firmware, Nokia and Microsoft are of no help except if one gets in the Developer Preview Program to get the 8.1 RTM only

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect, a few days/posts ago I did mention having GDR3 on my 810, now the entire world knows that T-Mobile hasn't pushed GDR3 officially which concludes that I have it through the Developer Preview Program. Also as I mentioned earlier (few posts ago) that I clearly know what's the difference between a firmware and an OS and who pushes what. Technically to get it officially, the OS and firmware should be released from T-Mobile, after MS sends the 8.1 RTM to Nokia which would package it with its firmware and give it to T-Mobile for testing. So unless T-Mobile wishes to push the firmware, Nokia and Microsoft are of no help except if one gets in the Developer Preview Program to get the 8.1 RTM only

Exactly what I said... badum-CHING rim shot :smile:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
We are talking about T-Mobile here, so I'd say no. I remember seeing your profile as putting you in Orland, CA while I was down in Irvine. However now I'm over by Chico. Howdy neighbor!!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
We are talking about T-Mobile here, so I'd say no. I remember seeing your profile as putting you in Orland, CA while I was down in Irvine. However now I'm over by Chico. Howdy neighbor!!
sup neighbor :p anyways call me na?ve but I think they could of just held out on the update because they knew or know windows phone 8.1 was coming and the nokia firmware so they could of figured that people that have the 810 wouldn't mind not getting the black update but want the 8.1 update and for them to save money.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, you certainly think more of T-Mobile's "good intentions" than I do...

we shall see what happens. I haven't been tracking the situation with T-Mobile's HTC 8x, I assume they've been screwed out of GDR3/Black as well.

I am impressed that T-Mobile upped the data amounts of all their plans for free and I was hoping that AT&T would do the same thing, but they only upped one plan and not the rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb