Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I barely have two spare nickels to rub together, but I'd bet my next paycheck that T-Mobile never let's us see Cyan or 8.1 (not that the 8.1 part matters thanks to the Developers Preview).

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised this thread is still alive. I still haven't parted with my 810 nor will I do, most probably, in the next 9 months. Now that we're hearing of OTA release of Cyan... Do we start counting the days? Are we taking bets? LOL

That was a very interesting post you made, Guzzler. I hope those who 'fight our battle' from the inside don't give up. This is one helluva tough brick.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Nine months!! Are you sure all that new shiny stuff coming out this November isn't gonna take your fancy? I loved my 810 but at this point (just like the 8x), I'd be wondering how much better 8.1 would be with real firmware to back it up. In truth my 920 works fine as is, but it got GDR 3 at least. If I remember correctly both the 810 and T-Mobile's 8x skipped GDR 3.

I think it's great that Guzzler3 is still working T-Mobile's nerve on the issue, but I don't trust the responses. Maybe T-Mobile is telling the truth and Nokia put out bad firmware, or maybe they're just talking out both sides of their mouth.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been IT support for over 20 years, and I've been down this road before. Sometimes you just have to look at the code, the errors and issues, timeline, and sometime just say "Crap. Let's just scrap this one, and deal with it in the next revision release."

The reason I'm still fighting this fight is:
  1. I REALLY like this phone (along with a lot of us here).
  2. I paid a lot of money for it up front when it came out and damn it, I want get my money's worth out of it.:winktongue:

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a general consensus that the users who bought the 810 said it it was the best phone in the 82x line up .

I still use my 810 and I enjoy it . Sure it would be better to get the cyan update but I think I have to be content that the 8.1 preview update works perfectly with no bugs :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been bouncing back and forth between my newer 925 and my 810 ever since I installed 8.1 on it back in mid-April. Personally, I'm good if we never get an official 8.1 update or even Cyan, for that matter (although I'd love to see how it would work on the 810). I think my only complaint at the moment is that the battery seems to drain semi-fast compared to the way things were long before the 8.1 update.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Nine months!! Are you sure all that new shiny stuff coming out this November isn't gonna take your fancy?

Trust me I'm pretty good with self control. Although I've had some bouts of impulsiveness.... I think I've mentioned here before I held on to my Nokia N82 for more than 5 years. So, I'd like to have 2 years or slightly more with my 810. Besides all indications point to a release of Threshold by Spring next year (9 months from now) and having a Surface Pro, if the device integration and power management in that is impressive, I'll go ahead and bite.

But of course, while I'm fine with 8.1dp in my 810 right now, I'd love to have the proper firmware. The power drain is a bit of a problem for me lately.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not to get off topic or anything but I haven't had any battery drain issues ._. My phone only loses 1 percent on idle in 9hrs . Maybe I got a super 810 ^.^

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Not to get off topic or anything but I haven't had any battery drain issues ._. My phone only loses 1 percent on idle in 9hrs . Maybe I got a super 810 ^.^

Put it in airplane mode and then report back. Also let everything run in the background in Battery Sense.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Put it in airplane mode and then report back. Also let everything run in the background in Battery Sense.

Airplane mode at 88% all Battery Sense features enabled, 3 hrs. later 87% an 810 w/o 8.1

The battery drain that we've been talking about is observed in 8.1 when some or all radios are off (BT, Cellular, WiFi), hence the wishful thinking of having the appropriate firmware to go with it (Cyan). It's been also observed in other phones with 8.1. However, some phones don't experience it.

Also, fully featured Battery Saver ("Battery Sense")came out in WP8.1

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I think I am actually coming back to using my 810 as my daily driver, on T-Mobile the 8x is a ******* child as well, and since we can install on SD card as well with 8.1 preview, it makes it more valuable when you have a lot of apps installed (and music). I have to say the 810's screen is better than the 8x's.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The battery drain that we've been talking about is observed in 8.1 when some or all radios are off (BT, Cellular, WiFi), hence the wishful thinking of having the appropriate firmware to go with it (Cyan). It's been also observed in other phones with 8.1. However, some phones don't experience it.

Also, fully featured Battery Saver ("Battery Sense")came out in WP8.1

Gotcha but Battery Sense is (also) an App over 2 years old and I not seeing it saying only with 8.1, maybe some other thread ?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just had an interesting phone call with T-Mobile today.

I've been bouncing emails and playing phone tag for awhile now and got pushed up the escalation ladder (I believe I got to the top of the ladder with the presidents office). What I found out was that it was a mutual agreement with T-Mobile and Nokia to not push out the "Black" firmware due "critical" bugs in the firmware with the Lumia 810. They wouldn't go into specifics, but suffice to say, they said they were "severe bugs" that justified not pushing it out.

Now, as for what about getting "Cyan" and WP 8.1... With all my wrangling, open ended questions, talking around the topic, I could only get "We still support the 810". No poking, prodding, or anything, could I get past the standard corporate answer, and that if they get any updates from Microsoft/Nokia that pass QC they will pass them along to the end users. (Man my social engineering skills are slipping).

One thing in all my digging, is that everyone I had conversations with, praised the 810 as being their personal favorite phone (only if they actually used the 810, I did have to deal with some that hadn't, so they had no clue), and they too were upset as to it's current status of EOL. Most of them mentioned the 925, the 521, and the HTC 8X (and a couple model numbers that I haven't heard of, ANYWHERE), but they personally said they preferred the 810 over all of the Windows Phones that T-Mobile offers/offered. Those that had that opinion, said in a round and about way, that they are still fighting for the 810 internally in T-Mobile.

So again... any more updates (Cyan/WP8.1) for our beloved 810's? Sadly, I don't know.

820, 822 has the same guts as the 810 and they didn't have any issues. I say BS if T Mobile said that.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
820, 822 has the same guts as the 810 and they didn't have any issues. I say BS if T Mobile said that.

Nah, I'd say that's pretty legit. The 810's biggest bug was the fact it was such a smashing failure in terms of popularity. And I'm pretty sure that TMO supports all 810 spiritually and wishes us all well.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
from time to time, I still go to this thread and watch if someone has a tip for L810. this is such a great phone. popularity "at the early stage" of the phone might have been an issue, but who knows if they made true to their promise (LTE and further updates) it could have been way better..

DP 8.1 on 810 is absolutely fantastic.. hopefully TMOBILE gets it right by delivering the cyan firmware to to 810 consumers bcoz we deserve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers