Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Any such phone for which a carrier has declared EOL, why cant Nokia update its firmware and continue to provide updates in future? My understanding is it can be de-branded if a carrier has stopped showing interest, they have declared its EOL and they have stopped selling a new handset !! Any thoughts?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As much as Nokia, Microsoft, and T-Mobile has me furious at the 810, the firmware update is all on T-Mobile...they simply aren't pushing it and instead are focused on the 521. Tomorrow I get my 4th 810, then they said I could switch phones...might have to leave the platform until Microsoft takes the carriers out of the software update scenario.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Screw T-Mobile, they've pissed me off with this move. There's no alternative mid-range Nokia at the moment (Lumia 521 doesn't count with no flash and half the ram, plus whatever else it's missing like nfc I think). That Nokia Catwalk rumor better be true, it better come to T-Mobile, and it better be at the very least have what the 810 did. So long 810 accessories... not that there were too many to begin with. Grrr.

Okay. Is there evidence for a phone getting further updates after a carrier prematurely sends it to EOL? I mean really, it came out Nov 14th, what a ridiculously short 5 month tenure. If your understanding is correct, and it can be debranded and have updates directly sent to it, then that's great news. The thing is, this phone is SUPPOSED to be supported for 18 months - isn't that a guarantee from Microsoft? If updates no longer come in for this phone, it'll be time to blow up Microsoft, Nokia, and T-Mobile with complaints...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If updates no longer come in for this phone, it'll be time to blow up Microsoft, Nokia, and T-Mobile with complaints...
@tmobilesupport, @nokiacareus, @windowsphonesupport....I've been tweeting them everyday until they fix this problem or get me outta this phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this sucks... All of this premature EOL news for the 810 makes me sort of wish I'd spent my money on an unlocked yellow Lumia 920 after all. I mean, considering this B.S., I might as well have gone with that, no? :straight:

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Screw T-Mobile, they've pissed me off with this move. So long 810 accessories... not that there were too many to begin with. Grrr....

Roger that. I was really looking forward to a red shell. I'm losing hope here. Unless the catwalk is a stunner, I'll get used to paying more elsewhere for better hardware and better support.

al DERY

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
what a shame i was really happy with the phone but no support and no lte upgrade when the phone is capable looks like im moving on to nexus 4

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't care less whether my 810 gets LTE. I'm fine with 3G/4G. What I want is the latest firmare like the 920 and other Lumias around the globe seem to be getting. That Storage Check feature looks like something everyone could use, and I don't want to get gypped out of it just because T-Mobile decided to EOL my phone prematurely.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'm going to be tweeting them non stop. What a huge disappointment. Especially as the 810 is a solid phone. I think its had its fair share of quality control issues but I love this phone. But is it true that firmware support is entirely up to the carrier?

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is annoying. I'll be paying my phone off long after it has been discontinued. This is rather disappointing. Catwalk had better be worth it! More to the point... better get that screen protector installed now if I do want it to last 2 years.

Aztekker

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
After buying two new 810s in December, I also am very frustrated. Unless I pay it off early, I'll keep it for another 16 months. I like WP8, especially with the Nokia exclusives, but navigation on my old E7-00 is still better. Actually most things on Symbian Belle are better.

That's why I just took delivery of a New Nokia 808 PureView.

? .02

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After buying two new 810s in December, I also am very frustrated. Unless I pay it off early, I'll keep it for another 16 months. I like WP8, especially with the Nokia exclusives, but navigation on my old E7-00 is still better. Actually most things on Symbian Belle are better.

That's why I just took delivery of a New Nokia 808 PureView.

€ .02
Oh yes, I am loving my Lumia 810 too. but there are ppl who can love it and use it with what all they get & there are other kind of ppl who wish that if there are improvements available by same manufacturer, it should be available for them (and I would certainly love to have the next updates for it, now am not sure if I would get anything). I tried to check with Nokia and they repeatedly say that its on carrier to test and approve any firmware updates.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, we can't. But I just get the sinking feeling that that's the direction it's headed. I mean, dumping the 810 after 5 months. What would be the incentive to support it? Especially with their golden poster child iphone now available. I cautiously hope for the best but expect the worst.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, we can't. But I just get the sinking feeling that that's the direction it's headed. I mean, dumping the 810 after 5 months. What would be the incentive to support it? Especially with their golden poster child iphone now available. I cautiously hope for the best but expect the worst.

Agreed. I almost feel like I should have either picked the 8X or chugged along with my Galaxy Nexus and gotten an unlocked 920. This is the one thing that I jumped to WP8 for...MSFT handling updates more directly. If they throw the 810 to the boneyards, I'm not so sure if I want to stay on the platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3