Lumia 810 Refurb or Lumia 521? Which one to buy?

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Well it's sad to hear that the Lumia 810 is EOL and will be replaced with the smaller Lumia 521. As a WP user (have used a HD7 since 2010) I've been wanting to upgrade to a WP8 with 4G capabilities, but still under the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan. So I was thinking, which phone is better, the 810 or 521 on T-Mobile. Special note, I only have enough wiggle room for the refurb 810 ($240) or what is looking out to be $200 for the 521. What are your opinions on which phone I should get?

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what's important to you. Do you use Skype? Camera at night? Do you play many games on your phone? Want wireless charging?

Answers to these questions will help us help you :)

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been wanting to give Skype a try. Rarely do I use a camera at night, but mostly at concerts or parties and whatnot. Games and wireless charging? Not so much. Forgot to mention that I have big hands (e.g. a Note II feels like a DS lite in my hands lol).

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Go with the 810. It will be future app proof. It has mid to high specs, minus the screen and design. You will benefit from playing the latest games and apps.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
810 all the way. I have it and can say that it's a truly great phone. The 521 is a lesser phone because it lacks quite a bit of the features the 810 has, and it's an entry level WP while the 810 is considered mid-range (though internally, except for the built in storage and camera, it's just like the 920).

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Go with the 810. It will be future app proof. It has mid to high specs, minus the screen and design. You will benefit from playing the latest games and apps.

I was thinking the same thing, but wouldn't the 521 get LTE later down in its life cycle? Quick question will both models be able to support the Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Cards?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No idea whether the 521 would get LTE at some point. The 810 does support 64GB microSDXC Class 10 cards, and I believe the 521 will as well.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing, but wouldn't the 521 get LTE later down in its life cycle? Quick question will both models be able to support the Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Cards?

wise people have said on this forum, "buy a device for what it can do today, not what it might be able to do in the future." Assume neither will get lte.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing, but wouldn't the 521 get LTE later down in its life cycle?
Don't purchase a phone with this mindset. Ever. A couple months after the 810 launch, rumors cropped up about it getting LTE in a future update... but that turned out to be totally false. I think there may have been a few [misguided] people who purchased on the premise of getting LTE in the future... based on a rumor of course.

And then there's the possibility that the 521's life cycle will be only 5 months as well - not enough time for them to actually update it. Since it's not an iPhone (or a Galaxy.. but mostly the iPhone), T-Mobile doesn't care about it so don't expect much beyond what you see at launch

Sorry, I'm bitter. Get the 810. For only $40 more you're getting a whole lot more than the 521.

Aleksandr Gurmeza

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with the 810. Better camera, more RAM, bigger screen, full HD video recording, front face camera, better processor, and bigger battery. Also, supposedly the 521 DOES get LTE, there isnt much of a different too be honest.
810 will last you longer, as games and apps will require more ram and processor speed.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Get the 810. It is a mid-range device vs. a entry level for the 521. Orrr... you could wait for Catwalk and see what's up there. Also I doubt the 521 will get LTE.

Miscellaneous Rant

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Plus the 810 data speed is HSDPA 42.2 Mbits, 521 is only 21 mbits. Half the speed. You want LTE until TMO introduce that LTE price on you. You a faster speed with 810, half that of LTE at dirt cheap for you $30 prepay. I'm 6'6" with big hands the 810 I have is just right size.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Plus the 810 data speed is HSDPA 42.2 Mbits, 521 is only 21 mbits. Half the speed. You want LTE until TMO introduce that LTE price on you. You a faster speed with 810, half that of LTE at dirt cheap for you $30 prepay. I'm 6'6" with big hands the 810 I have is just right size.

well, half the maximum theoretical speed, anyway. I'm not sure how having 21 would impact speed if I only get 10 down with 42 (phoenix area).

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The refurb 810 is a great deal. It has all the internal specs (ram, processor speed) to be a phone that won't feel too outdated if you keep it for two years. The 521 will feel old in a matter of months. When WP8.1 comes out this fall, the 521 will feel very inadequate. I would recommend either grabbing an 810 or waiting for Catwalk.

Last edited:

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, sadly I believe the Catwalk will be the high-end Nokia phone everyone wants, so it will be costing me an arm and a leg. I'm going off and ordering the 810 with a 64GB. And that will end my terrible habit of carrying multiple devices in my pockets.

Thank you all again!

UPDATE: It seems Tmo won't let me get my hands on a Lumia 810 unless I change my plan to a $50+ plan. Sadly, I can't afford a monthly plan this expensive. :unhappy:

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: It seems Tmo won't let me get my hands on a Lumia 810 unless I change my plan to a $50+ plan. Sadly, I can't afford a monthly plan this expensive. :unhappy:

Sorry to hear that. Unless your HD7 is broken, then I'd hold on to it a bit longer and periodically look into sites like eBay for a cheaper 810.

Cybersonic

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, sadly I believe the Catwalk will be the high-end Nokia phone everyone wants, so it will be costing me an arm and a leg. I'm going off and ordering the 810 with a 64GB. And that will end my terrible habit of carrying multiple devices in my pockets.

Thank you all again!

Maybe you can save up and buy it off contract and switch your sim over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo