07-13-2013 05:22 PM
43 12
tools
    LeLee,

The storage issue does affect some phones, especially earlier made ones. Personally, I haven't had any issues that keep me from ever being able to use my phone. 810 SHOULD get updates, but until I see it, it is subject to debate.

The 810 is (for me) a great mid range phone. I hope yours will work as well as mine does for me.

EOL is what they refer to as end of life, i.e. they are no longer ordering them from Nokia, but yes they are for sale from dealers and even T-Mobile stores as long as they have them. It doesn't mean they won't support them.
    hmm okay thats a bit more reassuring, thanks! It sucks they got EOL so early on, especially the HTC 8x since it was tmobiles flagship windows phone!

Im really looking forward to the 810! I'm over high end phones that break my bank (and heart when they get stolen!) and I couldnt deal with the 521 not having a front facing or Flash
    so the 810 is the best of both worlds...
    *crosses fingers* that we get the GDR2,3 and hopefully 8.1
    palandri likes this.
    06-29-2013 03:13 PM
    hmm okay thats a bit more reassuring, thanks! It sucks they got EOL so early on, especially the HTC 8x since it was tmobiles flagship windows phone!

Im really looking forward to the 810! I'm over high end phones that break my bank (and heart when they get stolen!) and I couldnt deal with the 521 not having a front facing or Flash
    so the 810 is the best of both worlds...
    *crosses fingers* that we get the GDR2,3 and hopefully 8.1
    I know you said you're over high end phones, and I'm sorry to hear your 8X got stolen, but depending on how you bought your 810, I'd find a way to turn it into a 925 when that gets launched.
    06-29-2013 03:21 PM
    I know you said you're over high end phones, and I'm sorry to hear your 8X got stolen, but depending on how you bought your 810, I'd find a way to turn it into a 925 when that gets launched.
    We'll see...I'll probably just stick it out with the 810...since I'm also goinng to be studying abroad for the first 6 months of 2014 to europe so i'll be using a prepaid flipphone and use my 810 very limited way (prob just pictures and a few social media apps over wifi) when I come back June of 2014 I'll see what the market looks like...

But then again if Tmobile really doesnt plan to support the phone and we dont get GRD2 or 3 then I might just sell it before then and get the 925(i would get the 520, but i want to take nice pictures while im in europe :P)..decisions decisions
    06-30-2013 10:18 PM
    We'll see...I'll probably just stick it out with the 810...since I'm also goinng to be studying abroad for the first 6 months of 2014 to europe so i'll be using a prepaid flipphone and use my 810 very limited way (prob just pictures and a few social media apps over wifi) when I come back June of 2014 I'll see what the market looks like...

But then again if Tmobile really doesnt plan to support the phone and we dont get GRD2 or 3 then I might just sell it before then and get the 925(i would get the 520, but i want to take nice pictures while im in europe :P)..decisions decisions
    Where in Europe are you going to?
    06-30-2013 10:39 PM
    Where in Europe are you going to?
    Great question. Also, did you get your 810 at full price? If you did, and depending on where in Europe you're headed you could just sell the 810 and yet a 925 32GB model. There is a nice subform there on how to debrand your 925 to make it run more like a truly unlocked model so you get the updates from Nokia directly,,
    07-01-2013 06:32 AM
    Great question. Also, did you get your 810 at full price? If you did, and depending on where in Europe you're headed you could just sell the 810 and yet a 925 32GB model. There is a nice subform there on how to debrand your 925 to make it run more like a truly unlocked model so you get the updates from Nokia directly,,
    Vienna, Austria..
    and how will that work? like when I come back to the US on tmobile? sorry i dont know much about unlocked phones :P
    07-03-2013 11:17 AM
    Is the phone no longer sold or not supported?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    07-03-2013 12:11 PM
    Vienna, Austria..
    and how will that work? like when I come back to the US on tmobile? sorry i dont know much about unlocked phones :P
    Many Euroepan countries, from what I understand, offer their phones as unlocked already. I think that happens too in Austria, but dig around to be sure. If Vodafone sells there, you could get a 925 there that has the 32GB storage. It may run like any unlocked phone in the US on t-mo...LTE in refarmed areas, minimum EDGE nearly everywhere and 3G in most places. Many people would trade internet speed for increased storage, myself included.
    07-03-2013 01:24 PM
    Is the phone no longer sold or not supported?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    If you're talking about the 810, yes it is gone from most t-mo stores...3rd part places may still have it at the full initial price sold at launch. As for support: "officially" yes but we all know that once you EOL a device it is dead to rights....
    07-03-2013 01:27 PM
    Many Euroepan countries, from what I understand, offer their phones as unlocked already. I think that happens too in Austria, but dig around to be sure. If Vodafone sells there, you could get a 925 there that has the 32GB storage. It may run like any unlocked phone in the US on t-mo...LTE in refarmed areas, minimum EDGE nearly everywhere and 3G in most places. Many people would trade internet speed for increased storage, myself included.
    Thanks for the tip, Idk if i'll follow it though since I'm barely affording the trip as is, so the last thing on my mind would be to upgrading my phone :P but maybe if the price is right on the 925 i can afford it (though it kinda sucks that the resell value for the 810 would be nonexistance by then) does Vodafone have pre-paid contracts?
    07-04-2013 01:19 AM
    Thanks for the tip, Idk if i'll follow it though since I'm barely affording the trip as is, so the last thing on my mind would be to upgrading my phone :P but maybe if the price is right on the 925 i can afford it (though it kinda sucks that the resell value for the 810 would be nonexistance by then) does Vodafone have pre-paid contracts?
    I think they should, but you just have to do some digging...😊...i hope your enjoy your trip. I've heard Vienna is nice and is on my bucket list for sure...
    07-04-2013 06:29 AM
    Vodafone, T Mobile ( they are part of German Post) etc and all providers in Europe have SIM only contracts (SIM is free), for example T Mobile has 400 Text, 100 min talk and 1GB datea for about $14. and good for 30 days, then to add minutes etc you just text a code for different amounts of data, talk and text and the SIM gets reloaded, it's easy in Europe.
    07-04-2013 10:40 PM
    I just did a bit of homework on the Windows Phone releases in the past 3 years and made a very interesting discovery... Nokia devices have been coming out every 6 months like clockwork, each one killing the model before it. For example, the 900 came out in April of 2012... The 920 came out in November of 2012... Now the 1020/EOS is due later this month/next month... That makes a pattern of about 7 month apart for each device and roughly a 6 month EOL pattern.

HTC had the same story, but slightly worse in some cases... The Titan came out in November of 2011, then the Titan II replaced it in April 2012... The 8x replaced that in November of 2012. So once again, they dump a new phone on the market every 6 months. We'll see if they release another Windows Phone after the 8x or not. They are giving it one more shot with Sprint this fall, but who knows if they will keep it up or not.

Samsung... This one is even more painful! After the original Focus in November of 2010, they've been turning devices every 6 months as well. The Focus S/Flash series came out in November of 2011. The Focus 2 was then released in May of 2012 (a month before WP8 was announced!) and then the ATIV S joined the group in November of 2012, but the release was delayed due to Galaxy S III popularity until February of 2013. Again, Samsung has basically said that their WP devices aren't selling well so I don't expect a refresh anytime soon. The ATIV might just be Samsung's last WP for a while.

So, with all that said, T-Mobile may not have EOL'd the device for any other reason than it was time for Nokia to bring them something new. The 810 was a step-brother of the 820 series and was lost somewhere between the 800/900 and the 820/920. T-Mobile was the only carrier to have it and they didn't sell that well. Sure, I'm still positive that they will be bringing an update when it is ready, but for right now it appears we aren't victims at all, we just bought into a platform that is releasing new hardware every 6 months.
    07-07-2013 09:36 AM
    07-12-2013 07:18 AM
    I think I'll just leave this right here.... it is definately worth a read...

Apple, Samsung: Canaccord Cuts Smartphone View; Nokia, BBRY Sales Still Soft - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    Pretty much sums up what was already evident in the news, however "soft" sales have been increases for WP. It's true that us enthusiasts want hi-end phones, but you mostly see mid-level ones. In order to keep attracting new customers, OEMS have to keep the desire fresh. In a perfect world it would be different, but this is far from that.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-12-2013 07:47 AM
    In Austria even contract phones are locked - releasing fees varie but even after two years they charge between 50 and 99 EUR.
    In Germany contract phones aren't locked - even iPhones are unlocked now.
    In France contract are locked, but you get them unlocked for free after six months.
    In Italy contract phones In Germany contract phones aren't locked.
    In Switzerland contract phones aren't locked - but iPhones from some carriers are.

Austria has the lowest tariffs in Europe. So just grab a prepaid SIM from one of the operators there: A1 / T-Mobile Austria (Telering - part of T-Mobile) / 3 (Orange - part of 3).

But don't forget to ask T-Mobile US from the unlock code for your Lumia 810 because even T-Mobile Austrai SIM will not work otherwise.
    07-13-2013 03:35 AM
    Vodafone, T Mobile ( they are part of German Post) etc and all providers in Europe have SIM only contracts (SIM is free), for example T Mobile has 400 Text, 100 min talk and 1GB datea for about $14. and good for 30 days, then to add minutes etc you just text a code for different amounts of data, talk and text and the SIM gets reloaded, it's easy in Europe.
    Sorry, but Deutsche Post AG - DHL (German Post) has no connections to Deutsche Telekom AG (T-Mobile) since about 20 years.
    PB_H likes this.
    07-13-2013 03:39 AM
    Sorry, but Deutsche Post AG - DHL (German Post) has no connections to Deutsche Telekom AG (T-Mobile) since about 20 years.
    Other than the 32% stock the German government still has directly and indirectly, you're right.
    I'm so sorry for that error.
    Thanks I feel so good now getting that off my chest
    Last edited by PB_H; 07-13-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    07-13-2013 05:22 PM
43 12