Jump from 810 to 920

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
anyone here who's had 810 and decided to jump off the boat to 920!?... i mean, why should i hold on to a device knowing that it will get 0 support from Tmobile after EOL... Granted, its still a Nokia and it will probably receive some updates as far as apps but i'm talking about a firmware love going forward. Any supportive advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If that is your concern...I wouldn't jump to a 920...

Phones have a short life currently. I do however expect that to grow in the near future as more companies start to push away from subsidized prices (people will be less willing to upgrade every 2 years).

Are you unhappy with your 810? Some people say you should never expect updates then you won't be sad when they are delayed or killed...but that is a tough thing to wrap my head around.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
If that is your concern...I wouldn't jump to a 920...

Phones have a short life currently. I do however expect that to grow in the near future as more companies start to push away from subsidized prices (people will be less willing to upgrade every 2 years).

Are you unhappy with your 810? Some people say you should never expect updates then you won't be sad when they are delayed or killed...but that is a tough thing to wrap my head around.

Well not completely unhappy. I like the device and its solid performance / impressive battery life... Just frustrating i should say that i'm all tied up on this device (contract) and suddenly got axed. I mean, would've been nice to receive some notification from TMobile stating that the device will be EOL and provide us with some options like upgrade to a newer device or something in that nature but thats wishful (in your dreams) thinking.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well not completely unhappy. I like the device and its solid performance / impressive battery life... Just frustrating i should say that i'm all tied up on this device (contract) and suddenly got axed. I mean, would've been nice to receive some notification from TMobile stating that the device will be EOL and provide us with some options like upgrade to a newer device or something in that nature but thats wishful (in your dreams) thinking.

I'd say 90% of the phone's purchased are bought and go EOL during the middle of the owners contract. That is nothing new with the incredibly SHORT life span we have for our mobile phones.

If you want to keep cutting edge, get a bank roll, or be ready to deal shop on your local Craigslist. If you keep your eyes open, you can flip phones for not much cost and have a new-ish phone every 6 months. Example, I just bought a Lumia 822 for $80 (and flipped for $150).

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an 810 as well. I guess I haven't really given it much thought as I always knew I would upgrade to a flagship device when one became available. That would now be the 925. So, I'm not overly concerned with future updates on the device. It's the nature of the beast and I generally buy a new phone every year anyway.

And agreed on that battery life.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If the music situation and the storage situation are not repaired thru an update, I will be leaving WP.

I'm not a big fan of Apple but at least I'll get updates thru Apple. I find the music situation on my 810, after 8 months, to be inexcusable.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
If the music situation and the storage situation are not repaired thru an update, I will be leaving WP.

I'm not a big fan of Apple but at least I'll get updates thru Apple. I find the music situation on my 810, after 8 months, to be inexcusable.

well.. the main question is "IF" we are even getting an update going forward. Same goes here - i've only been a WP user since Feb '13 - coming from Android. If that happens, i'm going for Nexus 4 or better... but we're not here to talk about jumping to Android or iOS (just yet).. to get back on point - the "OTHER" storage crap needs to go. The music part doesn't really seem to bother me since i don't stream as much but they TOO need some work.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I regret purchasing it. I sold it and got a 720. Really nice phone, but it's gotten a bit buggy lately. I've been able to keep Other just under 1 GB which isn't that great but better than the 810 by far. I just want to forget that phone ever happened.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I regret purchasing it. I sold it and got a 720. Really nice phone, but it's gotten a bit buggy lately. I've been able to keep Other just under 1 GB which isn't that great but better than the 810 by far. I just want to forget that phone ever happened.

i hear ya.. as much as i wanna get rid of it - can't just yet... i'm just gonna have to hang on to it til after summer and see if it will indeed receive the GDR2 (Microsoft) and Amber (Nokia). Otherwise, i'm getting an unlock 920 or ultimately jump right back to Android where I originated lol.

teranceo

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are concerned about updates you definitely want to go the unlocked route. I'm considering this myself. I just wish Microsoft and Nokia would sell unlocked phones with the bands for the different US markets. I don't want to buy a phone and not get good speeds in my area.

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not asking for huge upgrades that allow for the phone to do all kinds of new/improved/spectacular things, I understood its limitations when I bought it. I'm just asking that a major DEFECT in the phone be fixed (mainly, the storage issue). Not too much to ask, imo.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
agreed. I too understood the limitations but didn't expect it to get axed in 5 mos after its debut... this bad boy def has its days numbered to collect dust.

teranceo

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not asking for huge upgrades that allow for the phone to do all kinds of new/improved/spectacular things, I understood its limitations when I bought it. I'm just asking that a major DEFECT in the phone be fixed (mainly, the storage issue). Not too much to ask, imo.

I agree 100%. There is no excuse that they should not release an update to fix the storage issue. It's a known problem that they need to address. Nokia has even tried to fix it the best they can with the storage check app but us 810 users can't use it because we can't get the updated firmware.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Love my 810, and I really don't plan on upgrading until I've paid it off, or a new Nokia comes out. While most phones do EOL mid contract... the issue with the 810 was it was EOL'd 7 months after it was released. Didn't help that no one here has been able to get a solid statement out of TMO over devices support.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Love my 810, and I really don't plan on upgrading until I've paid it off, or a new Nokia comes out. While most phones do EOL mid contract... the issue with the 810 was it was EOL'd 7 months after it was released. Didn't help that no one here has been able to get a solid statement out of TMO over devices support.

You mean it was EOL'ed 5 months after launch...but who's counting? 5 months, 7 months...the hook was quicker than usual...

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i'm holding off on the 810 for now til we get the update.. it will make this device on par with the 92X line.. it's a capable phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720