Wifi Calling: Not so important?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've found my Nokia Windows Phone MUCH more sensitive in regards both the T-Mobile signal, the data signal, and wifi connections.
Over many years and many phones I have indeed found that the technology for grabbing those signals just gets better and better.

My home location sucked six years ago, I HAD to go to UMA to keep calls solid. Anyway, this 810 stays connected on the cellular. And, the wifi connections offered up are better than I've been able to get on a netbook...with a directional antenna!

YMMV

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
hehe.. if only TMo can get that WiFi Calling feature turned up - great!.. but i agree with the subject.. not really that important. my 810 can pick up wifi instantaneously.. much better than the previous devices i've had.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It all depends. At the bowling alley where I bowl for my summer league, I get zero service, no matter what phone I use. The two exceptions were when I was using my iPhone, when I would get reception in one of the bathrooms and all the way down at the other end of the alley where we don't bowl for league but where I was placed for open bowling practice a few times two years ago. I'm able to connect my 920 to Wi-Fi, though. The reason I would prefer Wi-Fi calling is because there are always instances when an emergency can pop up without a moment's notice, and if it were to happen when I was there and it worked on my phone, someone could get me on the phone. And believe me, there HAVE been emergencies in my life over the past few months.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It all depends. At the bowling alley where I bowl for my summer league, I get zero service, no matter what phone I use. The two exceptions were when I was using my iPhone, when I would get reception in one of the bathrooms and all the way down at the other end of the alley where we don't bowl for league but where I was placed for open bowling practice a few times two years ago. I'm able to connect my 920 to Wi-Fi, though. The reason I would prefer Wi-Fi calling is because there are always instances when an emergency can pop up without a moment's notice, and if it were to happen when I was there and it worked on my phone, someone could get me on the phone. And believe me, there HAVE been emergencies in my life over the past few months.

True.. yes, if only ours was equipped with that feature i'll probably make use of it.. sure does have its advantages.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually wonder if phones that don't yet have GDR2 will be able to use the Wi-Fi calling feature after that update comes... I'd installed the Wi-Fi Calling app on my 920 several weeks ago, but I uninstalled it when it didn't work. I may have to reinstall it after GDR2 comes at least to test it out. *fingers crossed*

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Grr... Apparently, I can't re-download that app. I'm looking in my purchase history and it says "this app is not available for all phones." I was able to get it before, but not again. It came up in a search on my phone in late June, but now it won't even appear in the store for me. Bleh!

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Grr... Apparently, I can't re-download that app. I'm looking in my purchase history and it says "this app is not available for all phones." I was able to get it before, but not again. It came up in a search on my phone in late June, but now it won't even appear in the store for me. Bleh!

LOL you're S.O.L woman.... i'd wait for the GDR2.. if EVER it gets release for 810. TMo M-EFFERS better.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Touche, Bernie... I'm thinking maybe, just maybe after GDR2, whoever gets that update on their phones who's on T-Mobile will just be able to download the app. I've just spent a good half hour or longer trying to figure out how to get it back with no luck. Wasted my time, lol.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Did or didn't you get it before by using that proxy setting in Wi-Fi ?
117.135.139.179 /Port 8888
That was the only way for me install it -on my 810 ( I did and then tested it and deleted it) but to have it actually work you have a 521
and that proxy is now blocked or disabled by Nokia or MS. That's the message I get on my purchase history too.
I wish that proxy still worked because I got apps only available in Nokia UK that way and there are a few more that I wanted.

In my purchase history it says this This app is not available for all phones. Try downloading on your phone.
If I search for it, it's not to be found, but if I click Wi-Fi Calling just above the Wi-Fi tile on my purchase history page I can find it
Here Wi-Fi Calling | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Did or didn't you get it before by using that proxy setting in Wi-Fi ?
117.135.139.179 /Port 8888
That was the only way for me install it -on my 810 ( I did and then tested it and deleted it) but to have it actually work you have a 521
and that proxy is now blocked or disabled by Nokia or MS. That's the message I get on my purchase history too.
I wish that proxy still worked because I got apps only available in Nokia UK that way and there are a few more that I wanted.

No idea, but I installed it back on June 26th. I searched through the store for it on my Rogers 920 and was easily able to install it. I even tried earlier to download it to my computer and upload it to my phone, but that didn't work. I just have a weird feeling that it would work on non-T-Mobile phones being used on T-Mobile after GDR2 comes.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
No idea, but I installed it back on June 26th. I searched through the store for it on my Rogers 920 and was easily able to install it. I even tried earlier to download it to my computer and upload it to my phone, but that didn't work. I just have a weird feeling that it would work on non-T-Mobile phones being used on T-Mobile after GDR2 comes.

- but
Publisher
T-Mobile USA

for TM phones how could it work in non TM phones ? it's not a MS or Nokia app

Try again Wi-Fi Calling | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
- but
Publisher
T-Mobile USA

for TM phones how could it work in non TM phones ? it's not a MS or Nokia app

Try again Wi-Fi Calling | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I can't explain how, but I was able to find it directly on my phone. I even asked pankaj981 the other day if he was able to get it. I got other T-Mobile apps on my phone that I kept, like the MyAccount and Slacker Radio ones. It's just so odd. The link you gave me is the same as the experience I had this morning when I was so frustrated because it's telling me it's not available for my phone. LOL, I don't know, I guess I got lucky (but not really because it didn't even work!) when I got it before. Maybe my account on windowsphone.com got confused because it still listed my 810. Right now, there's no 810 showing as my other phone but a blank general WP8 device.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I put on my 810 and searched for Wi-Fi Calling through that and still nothing. I see exactly all the same apps and stuff as I did on my 920.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... I put on my 810 and searched for Wi-Fi Calling through that and still nothing. I see exactly all the same apps and stuff as I did on my 920.
Maybe you installed using that proxy but if you find the part of the other Wi_Fi thread where the PROXY is discussed you might
have used that proxy to get it, maybe not but that was the "how to get the app" discussion at the time. The 920 was able to get it directly (I think)
looking at the reviews but it didn't work, with the 810 the only way to get it was via the proxy and it didn't work, it's an app not a software patch.

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not at all. It would have had to happen at the exact instant I first used this phone, and it would have nothing to do with wifi sensitivity. Elementary, my dear Watson.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Did I say that wifi calling is suddently not sometimes necessary or desired? No. Let me repeat myself, in a way: In some situations where WFC was sorely desired due to marginal connections, you may find that you don't need WFC with an 810.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
A few days back on another thread I spent quite a bit of effort to educate you, THAT THERE IS NO APP FOR WIFI CALLING! It's built into the hardware or the kernel, depending on the phone.

Maybe look over answers to your questions before repeating the same dumb belief.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't explain how, but I was able to find it directly on my phone. I even asked pankaj981 the other day if he was able to get it. I got other T-Mobile apps on my phone that I kept, like the MyAccount and Slacker Radio ones. It's just so odd. The link you gave me is the same as the experience I had this morning when I was so frustrated because it's telling me it's not available for my phone. LOL, I don't know, I guess I got lucky (but not really because it didn't even work!) when I got it before. Maybe my account on windowsphone.com got confused because it still listed my 810. Right now, there's no 810 showing as my other phone but a blank general WP8 device.

Someone posted that same direct link that I just did on the other Wi-Fi thread "because no one could find it" perhaps you found it with your phone because you copied that link to your phone / genius.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99