Wifi Calling: Not so important?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Did I say that wifi calling is suddently not sometimes necessary or desired? No. Let me repeat myself, in a way: In some situations where WFC was sorely desired due to marginal connections, you may find that you don't need WFC with an 810.

What's with the attitude?? I was responding to the question of the thread itself. There is no need to have an attitude with me or anyone else, for that matter. And if your other post was directed at me, YES THERE IS AN APP FOR WI-FI CALLING. I SAW it with my own two eyes and installed it on my phone on June 26th, then uninstalled it a few weeks ago because it failed to work on my 920. It's not a "dumb belief" but sheer fact. Thank you very much.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Someone posted that same direct link that I just did on the other Wi-Fi thread "because no one could find it" perhaps you found it with your phone because you copied that link to your phone / genius.

I didn't. I found it under a search for "T-Mobile," actually, directly on my phone.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
What's with the attitude?? I was responding to the question of the thread itself. There is no need to have an attitude with me or anyone else, for that matter. And if your other post was directed at me, YES THERE IS AN APP FOR WI-FI CALLING. I SAW it with my own two eyes and installed it on my phone on June 26th, then uninstalled it a few weeks ago because it failed to work on my 920. It's not a "dumb belief" but sheer fact. Thank you very much.

OK, I'm an *****, I don't know nuttin' even though I was one of the original WFC users in America, have tracked the industry, used assorted phones. and have been an electronics nut for over fifty years. A.k.a. "geek", nowadays.

WFC is in the hardware or the phone's kernel via original or firmware updates. No other avenues. It's how the GSM/Ulicensed Mobile Access is structured. See: Generic Access Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Firmware (kernel) updating is how how Android got it, and how it's being rolled out to WP users (hopefully!)

If you can show me, or us, webpages and/or screenshots of what you've been claiming, I will apologize profusely. When I am wrong, I have no trouble admitting it. But when I'm right, don't "prove" you are right be claiming to be right.

Maybe you've confused WFC with Voip or SIP? Providers of those services have had apps for many phones for many years. People often think that because they use wifi and the internet that they are WFC/UMA/Fusion Calling. They are not.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you can show me, or us, webpages and/or screenshots of what you've been claiming, I will apologize profusely. When I am wrong, I have no trouble admitting it. But when I'm right, don't "prove" you are right be claiming to be right.
\Start bending over ( sorry metalchick719 for jumping in)
I installed it so did many, when you started a thread about WiFi calling maybe a month ago I posted a link to the thread that talked about this app & had a link to the WiFi app I guess you didn't bother to open up that link.
I present the Wi-Fi CALLING app brought to you by Windows Phone Store and T Mobile
Wi-Fi Calling | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Happy to bend over, but it doesn't do anyting, the site, that is. It's STILL not an app. And it says it doesn't work for my phone.
You said the app didn't exist no one said it would enable YOUR phone and let you use Wi Fi for calling even TM won't enable it, and what did you expect that Windows Store would make your phone a Wi-Fi calling phone ?

It is an app IF you phone is enabled . What do you call that blue WiFi Calling (app) when it's on your phone and have Wi-Fi calling ? A thing ?
That app is what's on the 521 and the 925 because they have WiFi calling and yes it doesn't make your 810 phone WiFi enabled
but it's an app. If T Mobile send a firmware update to your 810 to enable Wi-Fi calling you'll be able to download that app and configure Wi-Fi calling.
Who said it makes a phone Wi-Fi enabled ? 0
What does it say inside the red circle ? ( sorry oval)
WiFi app - Copy.PNG

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You said the app didn't exist no one said it would enable YOUR phone and let you use Wi Fi for calling even TM won't enable it, and what did you expect that Windows Store would make your phone a Wi-Fi calling phone ?

It is an app IF you phone is enabled . What do you call that blue WiFi Calling (app) when it's on your phone and have Wi-Fi calling ? A thing ?
That app is what's on the 521 and the 925 because they have WiFi calling and yes it doesn't make your 810 phone WiFi enabled
but it's an app. If T Mobile send a firmware update to your 810 to enable Wi-Fi calling you'll be able to download that app and configure Wi-Fi calling.
Who said it makes a phone Wi-Fi enabled ? 0
What does it say inside the red circle ? ( sorry oval)
View attachment 39510

With great effort, I found that site. (The link up there doesn't work, at least for me.) I tried to change my phone to the 521, but MS told me I couldn't do it right now, try later. Anyway, there are two things to keep in mind: It takes the firmware update on only several phones so far to let this work (remember? It's either in the hardware or the firmware?) And then this app lets you access what's in the firmware. Without having it, I would suggest that maybe it turns it on or off, or has other features/choices like most WFC phones. It might also be there in case an upgraded 521 user deletes the tile and wants it back.

But it's still not an app in the original meaning of the word, a program, as they used to be called. There is no program, er, app to enable WFC if the phone hardware or firmware doesn't permit it.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
With great effort, I found that site. (The link up there doesn't work, at least for me.) I tried to change my phone to the 521, but MS told me I couldn't do it right now, try later. Anyway, there are two things to keep in mind: It takes the firmware update on only several phones so far to let this work (remember? It's either in the hardware or the firmware?) And then this app lets you access what's in the firmware. Without having it, I would suggest that maybe it turns it on or off, or has other features/choices like most WFC phones. It might also be there in case an upgraded 521 user deletes the tile and wants it back.

But it's still not an app in the original meaning of the word, a program, as they used to be called. There is no program, er, app to enable WFC if the phone hardware or firmware doesn't permit it.

Correct but with that application and it is an application you wouldn't be able to (if your phone was Wi-Fi enabled) configure Wi-Fi calling and wouldn't be able to use it with any certainty, so in that case it is an application because it's the switch that allows Wi-Fi calling (if your phone is enabled ) and it's an application in the true sense of the word but maybe not in the familiar sense of the word.
App (short for application) The act of putting something (i.e. a Wi-Fi enabled phone) to a special use or purpose.
If you read back -at least my posts I never said that it would enable a phone for Wi-Fi calling that wasn't enabled with a firmware update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa