Step by step to update your 810 to GDR2/Amber...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I would agree based on my observation so far. I followed the fiddler steps today, got it working on 820 (not 810..sorry TMO) and tried couple of snaps with default cam and with Pro Cam. As you said, being same hardware, you feel only diff in process...output looks same to me on cam and on PC.

You can't make an f/2.2 lens an f/2.0, it can't created a faster shutter speed or improve the quality of the glass.
That's where a photograph begins -with the light that the lens sees and captures.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You can't make an f/2.2 lens an f/2.0, it can't created a faster shutter speed or improve the quality of the glass.
That's where a photograph begins -with the light that the lens sees and captures.

You're right that the apperture value cannot be changed. But you can set the shutter speed in Pro Cam (1/16000s 'til 4s). Pretty much the same as the ProShot app... I just prefer the UI.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Obviously I was typing reply as you were editing that post that I quoted.

Why are you b******g about my post? It's a suggestion. You're in a tech related site, of course people will post jargon, deal with it. You have google to help you. Did I say that I'm assuming ALL OF YOU know how to? No. Did I say you MUST do it? Definitely not! It's always a do it on your own risk kind of thing. And obviously I know it does not Affect the optics of the 810 camera. I did not say anything about improving the hardware.

85% of the posts on this site are not talking about the ins and outs of issues and how to technically fix them that it's rather mundane if you read most of the thread or posts.
Look up ilk that isn't a bad word. But it is true that your ilk assumes that we all do. I grew up in Palo Alto and lived through the founding days of Apple, HP etc and the geeks I know and grew up with (who formed some of these companies) don't take offence because they know it's true it's a syndrome and we laugh about and ITS True. Geeks assume that we all know what they mean or have a clue as to where to find out _it's true deal with it. I meant no offence.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I never downloaded them. My bad.

I only have my laptop right now (which for some reason I cannot install any Nokia Software Updater/Care Suite, so I used my tablet for that) and if I remember it correctly, Care Suite has a Phone Refurbishing App which I have not tried. In principle, that should flash the phone with the most recent firmware available from the servers, and since Nokia pulled out the leaked update, the latest one on the servers should be the Portico one. But then again, I've never attempted downgrading so I don't know how that works.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
You're right that the apperture value cannot be changed. But you can set the shutter speed in Pro Cam (1/16000s 'til 4s). Pretty much the same as the ProShot app... I just prefer the UI.
Not all lenses have the mechanical properties to have that high a speed, to stay open is another issue that's programing.

Just because you can set it to 1/16000 sec doesn't mean the 810 lens can. Is it gonna say can't do it sorry.
Just like the Wi-Fi app that I downloaded didn't enable Wi-Fi but I could turn it on and configure it but nothing happened.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
85% of the posts on this site are not talking about the ins and outs of issues and how to technically fix them that it's rather mundane if you read most of the thread or posts.
Look up ilk that isn't a bad word. But it is true that your ilk assumes that we all do. I grew up in Palo Alto and lived through the founding days of Apple, HP etc and the geeks I know and grew up with (who formed some of these companies) don't take offence because they know it's true it's a syndrome and we laugh about and ITS True. Geeks assume that we all know what they mean or have a clue as to where to find out _it's true deal with it. I meant no offence.

Okay, I do understand. But you did not have to call me out and say 'my ilk' (I do know what that means) because to be honest I used to be one of those who viewed things from outside Geekdom. I strived to learn things by myself (my career and major hobbies have had nothing to do with computing tech stuff). I was after the skill and know how so that next time I get techie tips and tricks, I can deal with it, at the very least research about it.

Anyway, let's just put this behind us. So, have you installed the update yourself?

Last edited:

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Not all lenses have the mechanical properties to have that high a speed, to stay open is another issue that's programing.

Just because you can set it to 1/16000 sec doesn't mean the 810 lens can. Is it gonna say can't do it sorry.
Just like the Wi-Fi app that I downloaded didn't enable Wi-Fi but I could turn it on and configure it but nothing happened.

How did you know the shutter (why are you saying the lens?) cannot handle the speed?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I do understand. But you did not have to call me out and say 'my ilk' (I do know what that means) because to be honest I used to be one of those who viewed things from outside Geekdom. I strived to learn things by myself (my career and major hobbies have had nothing to do with tech stuff).

Anyway, let's just put this behind us. So, have you installed the update yourself?

First was find out where the C:// ProgramDate file was -most everyone couldn't find it - yes I googled and found it then it kept saying not connecting and then you're gonna break you phone (seriously those EXACT words ) after three ties I pulled it, but being mechanical and logical I went to the source and found out that he USB port on my PC was sketchy, connected to a rarely use port and bingo installed.
I'll send my phone to you I want Video edit, for months I've been emailing Nokia and MS for some damn video controls - and finally there is 1 but not exposure no nothing except white balance and focus and mode -no manual adjustments -are they kidding -you can't edit a poorly exposed video.
I'm geekish and I figure things out quicker than some who had pcs or macs way before me, but it's intuitive not clinical.
and Peace

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
How did you know the shutter (why are you saying the lens?) cannot handle the speed?
The lens/camera is a tiny small box and I'm guessing that the shutter is mechanical but maybe not.
And some mechanical shutters are part of the lens - the lens/shutter -and some shutters have physical limits
and weren't designed to be, or close that fast. Open -no big deal.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
First was find out where the C:// ProgramDate file was -most everyone couldn't find it - yes I googled and found it then it kept saying not connecting and then you're gonna break you phone (seriously those EXACT words ) after three ties I pulled it, but being mechanical and logical I went to the source and found out that he USB port on my PC was sketchy, connected to a rarely use port and bingo installed.
I'll send my phone to you I want Video edit, for months I've been emailing Nokia and MS for some damn video controls - and finally there is 1 but not exposure no nothing except white balance and focus and mode -no manual adjustments -are they kidding -you can't edit a poorly exposed video.
I'm geekish and I figure things out quicker than some who had pcs or macs way before me, but it's intuitive not clinical.
and Peace

After flashing the Amber update, I just installed Fiddler on my laptop, just simply installed it (nothing else) from fiddler2.com and did exactly what was outlined in that post, step-by-step and it worked for me.

The lens/camera is a tiny small box and I'm guessing that the shutter is mechanical but maybe not.
And some mechanical shutters are part of the lens - the lens/shutter -and some shutters have physical limits
and weren't designed to be, or close that fast. Open -no big deal.

I've tried the 1/16000s shutter speed vs the next 3 ones just on my room's light on the ceiling and there is a difference in brightness so I suppose it works at that shutter speed. As for the shutter, my N82 has a physical shutter that I would see moving when I press the shutter button. For some reason I could not see the same system in my Lumia. I am not aware if the Lumias use 'electronic' (fully non-mechanical) shutters which explains the fast speeds... and this would be a good reason for me getting Pro Cam and loving the fact it works with this update.

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
1/6000s is very useful in very bright sunlight if you're taking action shots...that's about it.
I'm more the art photo and a body laying naked doesn't move type of fotog.

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Check your Recycle Bin unless it automatically deletes those items. You deleted it -as you should when you replaced so it would still be there in the trash.

You can also move the rm-878 folder with firmware 1326 out and, reopen the nokia care unit thingy and download the 1250 again ( that's not if tmobile pushed 1326 officially.)

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey @JM_T, I was able to follow all the instruction sets for getting Pro Cam, Trimmer and Uploader on my device - so thank you for that... But here's my problem... Trimmer and Uploader installed no problems what-so-ever... But Pro Cam was a bit of an issue. I removed the SIM and it installed just fine (as was the advice of everyone that had problems) but as soon as I insert my Spot Mobile SIM back in, Pro Cam became disabled - I would click tile, but it would just quickly flash a transition screen and head back to my home screen. Any ideas? I uninstalled it for now, but I would love to get the more advanced camera working on this. The few demo shots I took were amazing!

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
@waazzupppp You could also try (even with your SIM on) to switch airplane mode first, then turn wifi on (with proxy) as someone has suggested there. That worked for me last night when I had hard reset my phone and for some reason Procam won't load after. It seems someone in MS or Nokia is working on a fix to this loophole. :))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6