Step by step to update your 810 to GDR2/Amber...

Kaggz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey y'all - question about the promised native FM radio support.
I managed to get this GDR2 update on my 810 - and a lot of the promised enhancements are there - but does anyone actually have FM radio back? It was supposedly part of the GDR2 enhancements and I was eagerly waiting for that feature in particular. I'm a huge fan of NPR radio and it's ridiculous having to stream it using TuneIn radio while I could play it natively on my older HD7 running Windows Phone 7. Nokia mentioned that they have latent FM hardware on the 820s , and since the 810 is a cousin of the 820 - I'm expecting FM hardware to also exist inside the 810s and this update should have uncovered it.
In my HD7, FM is an option in the Music+Videos HUB - on the "collections" screen - where u can select either music, video, podcasts, FM or store. I was expecting this to work the same way on my 810 after the GDr2 update.
Is it hiding somewhere else? Is it there at all?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey y'all - question about the promised* native FM radio support.
I managed to get this GDR2 update on my 810 - and a lot of the promised enhancements are there - but does anyone actually have FM radio back? It was supposedly part of the GDR2 enhancements and I was eagerly waiting for that feature in particular. I'm a huge fan of NPR radio and it's ridiculous having to stream it using TuneIn radio while I could play it natively on my older HD7 running Windows Phone 7. Nokia mentioned that they have latent FM hardware on the 820s , and since the 810 is a cousin of the 820 - I'm expecting FM hardware to also exist inside the 810s and this update should have uncovered it.
*Not PROMISED

"Nokia Lumia Amber update will contain GDR2 in it. Amber will be available to the entire Lumia Windows Phone 8 product portfolio,
but some features will not be available to all devices"

Kaggz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm....so you immediately saw FM Radio in your Music Hub after your Amber Update?
If he has an unbranded 820 ( he does say he HAS an 820 ) and the article says 820 and we have an 810....and his 820 after the update has FM and Smart Cam...what does that say about the 810 ?

Besides that article was from March and there has been so many different "this is what the Amber update will bring...."
I tend not to believe everything that's said, the proof in what's on your phone after the update.
But then again I didn't get sms+calls blocking until August 10 and I did the flash August 5 that's 5 days later.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm....so you immediately saw FM Radio in your Music Hub after your Amber Update?

yes, I have flashed it with my local CV firmware via NCS, FM Radio, Smart Cam and data sense were there already. glance screen+dttw+lumia color profile+sms/call filter appeared after updating system apps (display+touch and info+extras) anyways its 810 topic, so, I don't want to make a mess here.

Kaggz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
yes, I'm aware that the 810 and the 820 are two different phones - but as I mentioned in my original post, they're cousins of each other. Save for cosmetic differences and cellular frequencies - their hardware is all but identical (presumably - yes, I know I can't take that to the bank). I know it's not comparing apples to apples - but when I need information about 810, I'm relegated to looking for information about the 820 because tech blogs tend to ignore the fact that the 810 exists. Anyway, good to know that the FM radio is actually turned on now in the 820 - at least we know GDR2 does in fact support that now - hopefully Nokia, will update the 810s with that feature soon.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yes, I'm aware that the 810 and the 820 are two different phones - but as I mentioned in my original post, they're cousins of each other. Save for cosmetic differences and cellular frequencies - their hardware is all but identical (presumably - yes, I know I can't take that to the bank). I know it's not comparing apples to apples - but when I need information about 810, I'm relegated to looking for information about the 820 because tech blogs tend to ignore the fact that the 810 exists. Anyway, good to know that the FM radio is actually turned on now in the 820 - at least we know GDR2 does in fact support that now - hopefully Nokia, will update the 810s with that feature soon.

Lets say FM was in the Amber update as reported, then why not in my 810 ? I haven't heard anything about an 810 specific update and Nokia hasn't said anything 810 specific either. Martsicky also said, I have flashed it with my local CV firmware via NCS, FM Radio, Smart Cam and data sense were there already
...and glance screen+dttw+lumia color profile+sms/call filter appeared after updating system apps (display+touch and info+extras)
which was in the update I got too.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Nothing has been announced by Nokia about the 810 update since it hasn't started rolling out officially (OTA), so we dont know whether they are giving us the feature or not. I guess it boils down to the waiting game again

Kaggz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Lets say FM was in the Amber update as reported, then why not in my 810 ? I haven't heard anything about an 810 specific update and Nokia hasn't said anything 810 specific either. Martsicky also said, I have flashed it with my local CV firmware via NCS, FM Radio, Smart Cam and data sense were there already [I
...]and[/I] glance screen+dttw+lumia color profile+sms/call filter appeared after updating system apps (display+touch and info+extras) which was in the update I got too.

Dunno why - your guess is as good as mine - but personally, I never really expect to hear any news that is 810-specific from Nokia. We got the raw end of the deal in everything - it's like a pet project at Nokia that no one wants to be bothered with. Even accessories like the wireless charging cover are all but extinct now - I was forced to buy mine for a premium from someone on Ebay. If Nokia didn't even bother making any more covers after the initial release, goes to show just how much they care about this phone. If anything, our best best is some smart cookie making a custom 810 mod that includes everything the 820 already has.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
FM Radio will be available for all WP8 devices but 620.
BT LE will be available for all WP8 devices but 920 / 820 / 928 / 822 / 810 / 920T
Glance Screen will be available for all WP8 devices but 520 / 521 / 520T
Pro Camera will be available for 920 / 928 / 920T but no full resolution zoom.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
FM Radio will be available for all WP8 devices but 620.
BT LE will be available for all WP8 devices but 920 / 820 / 928 / 822 / 810 / 920T
Glance Screen will be available for all WP8 devices but 520 / 521 / 520T
Pro Camera will be available for 920 / 928 / 920T but no full resolution zoom.

How and when
BT 4.0 was enabled by Amber on my 810, BTLE ? I don't, but not FM,
and this information is as "reliable" as all the other "reliable" postings I'm guessing?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Remember people, what some of us downloaded and installed really isn't officially supported. We may have an interim release for "internal testing only" and it may not have all the features. So we've been guinea pigs (some of us, happy guinea pigs) unofficially testing things out.

In the end, there might be another revision higher that eventually gets pushed out with all the supposed features enabled (or not). We'll just have to wait and see. So be happy with what we have for now, I am (well kind of... There are things I wish they would have fixed/added, but I can't really complain about it).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Remember people, what some of us downloaded and installed really isn't officially supported. We may have an interim release for "internal testing only" and it may not have all the features. So we've been guinea pigs (some of us, happy guinea pigs) unofficially testing things out.

In the end, there might be another revision higher that eventually gets pushed out with all the supposed features enabled (or not). We'll just have to wait and see. So be happy with what we have for now, I am (well kind of... There are things I wish they would have fixed/added, but I can't really complain about it).
couldn't have agreed more

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I got the Call+SMS filter 5 days after I updated so I can believe anything can happen.

Allen Brandt

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Need help: every time I try to download the file, all I get offered is a file that is 40.99 KB (clearly not the right one!). Been trying since the weekend with multiple browsers, etc with no luck.
Any ideas?

Allen Brandt

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
did that-still don't see the file

also, someone posted that the file was also on Mega, but gave up looking after about 25 pages of search results

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786