TIPS/FIXES/OBSERVATIONS Amber Update

shadohh

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you have any tips/fixes/observations for Amber update lets try to collect them here.

1. Glance even on Timed seems to eat alot of battery.
2. UHS-I sd card still do not work.
3. Use the Lumia Storage check instead of the built in Storage check. The Lumia version allows moving HERE Drive maps to sd card.
4. Double tap to wake is awesome :)

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize the maps can be moved to SD card. Cool....

One thing I wish Microsoft did is to sort the items in Settings alphabetically.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I connect my phone to my company's hidden Wifi network. My phone doesn't remember the network name. I added it yesterday and today. Prior to the Amber update, it was able to remember the network name.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Double tap uses more battery (- Re Nokia) only use if you have to. Use Glance set on Peek.
In Wi-Fi there is a new "find nearby Wi-Fi map with Data Sense" app built in.
To get a decent picture I had to increase expose value in the built in standard camera by 1 1/3 stops.
With the same amount of apps and a few pictures stored on phone
( I haven't installed the SD card) phone storage free space increased 2.10 GB ? -no really !

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty much spot on with your opinions... I do have to say that I found the following with mine...

Tap to wake definitely kills battery - so it might not be Glance that kills it, mine has dropped about 10% more over the same time period. For all the performance increases, and that awesome tap to wake feature, I'm willing to kill the battery a bit more for that.

My UHS-1 Card works flawlessly - it's the 32GB (GetSmartphones.info - Smartphone accessories from Amazon and more! - SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A)) from Sandisk - no issues at all.

The Lumia Storage Check (beta from Nokia Beta Labs) is much better than the stock version, but it's accessible to everyone that has the correct link to the market (copy and paste people) - Lumia storage check beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

The only complaint I have at this moment is the lower quality low light photo shooting. They are very grainy and lackluster at best.

shadohh

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Odd, I use that same card and it sucks!

Do you actually use it thou? I find lag in the camera lap but it works, the real test is cinemagraph.

on the UHS-I card the app locks up. Let me know if cinemagraph locks up for you. ( It does not lockup on none uhs-i sdcard)

I am pretty much spot on with your opinions... I do have to say that I found the following with mine...

Tap to wake definitely kills battery - so it might not be Glance that kills it, mine has dropped about 10% more over the same time period. For all the performance increases, and that awesome tap to wake feature, I'm willing to kill the battery a bit more for that.

My UHS-1 Card works flawlessly - it's the 32GB (GetSmartphones.info - Smartphone accessories from Amazon and more! - SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A)) from Sandisk - no issues at all.

The Lumia Storage Check (beta from Nokia Beta Labs) is much better than the stock version, but it's accessible to everyone that has the correct link to the market (copy and paste people) - Lumia storage check beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

The only complaint I have at this moment is the lower quality low light photo shooting. They are very grainy and lackluster at best.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Some more observations:
  1. Personally, I didn't notice any picture quality drop. It's good enough for me. I just took some test images and the quality is good enough for me.
  2. I noticed the double tap doesn't always work for me. I have to double tap it several times to get it working
  3. I Glanced set to Timed and obviously it uses more battery. We don't get it for free. Also enabling double tap to wake up phone consumes juice as well. But to limit the battery usage, I just turn my phone over when I know I won't be looking at it for time. When I sit in my cubicle at work, I have a real clock and plus there's the time shown in Windows task bar. I noticed that double tap is automatically disabled when the phone doesn't display the time. I cover the phone's front camera so the screen shuts off. Then I start tapping the screen to wake it up and it doesn't. As soon as I don't cover the front camera, the double tap works again.

On the L810, it came with Data Sense, but no Wifi calling.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Some more observations:
  1. Personally, I didn't notice any picture quality drop. It's good enough for me. I just took some test images and the quality is good enough for me.
  2. I noticed the double tap doesn't always work for me. I have to double tap it several times to get it working
  3. I Glanced set to Timed and obviously it uses more battery. We don't get it for free. Also enabling double tap to wake up phone consumes juice as well. But to limit the battery usage, I just turn my phone over when I know I won't be looking at it for time. When I sit in my cubicle at work, I have a real clock and plus there's the time shown in Windows task bar. I noticed that double tap is automatically disabled when the phone doesn't display the time. I cover the phone's front camera so the screen shuts off. Then I start tapping the screen to wake it up and it doesn't. As soon as I don't cover the front camera, the double tap works again.

On the L810, it came with Data Sense, but no Wifi calling.

I found that genital taps wakes it up easier...
I mean GENTLE :wink: but how hard it is to push a button when tap to wake takes 6 tries and it uses battery life,
me, I just hired a wake up Sherpa and he wakes it up for me.
Edit: Just played with and you just have to barely touch the screen and it wakes it up

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
the leak version has no FM ......?

but double tap is awesome......

No Wi Fi on 810's either
double tap? -I just barely touch the screen twice, tap it doesn't open but it's batter drainer only useful if you're busy talking presenting and can't pick up the phone to push a button.
I like Peek setting in Glance just hover over the screen with you hand and - clock !
Lumia's now support Bluetooth 4.0, it was there but not enabled.

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
The only App I have had any problems on is Photosynth... Even the full HD video setting hasn't presented any problems. If you are just having problems with the one App, I would format the card in a PC, reinstall it in the phone and try some different Apps. I know that Nokia Music was messing with mine for a while (kept getting the Your SD Card Has An Error) message on startup. Other than that, no problems with either of my 32GB UHS-1 cards.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
what am I getting in the Beta version that I don't have in the one that comes with Amber ?:confused:

Despite the labeling that it's beta, when you download the app, it would not be the beta version (dunno why the store still has that beta labeling).
Anyway, the standalone Storage check has the ability to move your maps to the SD card, as the OP had said
3. Use the Lumia Storage check instead of the built in Storage check. The Lumia version allows moving HERE Drive maps to sd card.

Here's the details panel of the integrated storage check in the settings app:
wp_ss_20130808_0001[1].png

While this is the details panel of the standalone storage check app with a sub-panel where you could change the download location:
wp_ss_20130808_0002[1].png wp_ss_20130808_0003[1].png

Last edited:

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
what am I getting in the Beta version that I don't have in the one that comes with Amber ?:confused:

The ability to move offline map data to your sd card. Which is a pretty sweet little bonus if you ask me. Before, I'd only had my state saved, because combined with my "Other" being over 2.5GB I didn't have the room for anything else. Now I can put the whole eastern half of the US on there if I want. And since I just ran into a scenario coming home from North Carolina where I had no cell coverage and therefore couldn't access maps, I'm glad to have this now.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I found that genital taps wakes it up easier...
I mean GENTLE :wink: but how hard it is to push a button when tap to wake takes 6 tries and it uses battery life,
me, I just hired a wake up Sherpa and he wakes it up for me.
Edit: Just played with and you just have to barely touch the screen and it wakes it up

:winktongue: Yeah, I want my phone to be a super model if I opted for the first touching method. I would use my phone a lot more! :kiss:

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So after the GDR2/Amber update, here are things I installed (mostly with the help of fiddler) on my Lumia 810 that have so far worked:

Nokia Pro Cam (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Nokia Smart Cam (via fiddler proxy, as 925)
Nokia Video Trimmer (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Nokia Video Upload (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Lumia storage check - standalone app, with offline maps to SD card (direct, no proxy)

New Settings Apps:
display+touch - to enable peek (direct update, no proxy)
extras+info - to enable call+SMS filter (I dunno why it was not available on 810, when in principle it should be... so I forced via fiddler proxy, as 925...)
call+SMS filter (after tapping/entering and then exiting extras+info, this settings app appears)

-------
Some thoughts:
-Nothing quite new for me with the Pro Cam App other than the UI and video, since I bought the ProShot app.
-I still have to try the other Photo/Video Apps :smile:
-Standalone storage check app is nice to have when you download a large amount of maps and save it in SD card. No idea why they had to remove the feature in the integrated storage check
-For some reason, Peek was not available for my Glance screen when I updated to GDR2/Amber so I had to update display+touch manually
-extras+info enabled the call+SMS filter, just as what was said in the WPCentral article, which is nice since even though I'm registered in the do not call registry, some calls manage to get through.

Last edited:

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So after the GDR2/Amber update, here are things I installed (mostly with the help of fiddler) on my Lumia 810 that have so far worked:

Nokia Pro Cam (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Nokia Smart Cam (via fiddler proxy, as 925)
Nokia Video Trimmer (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Nokia Video Upload (via fiddler proxy, as 1020)
Lumia storage check - standalone app, with offline maps to SD card (direct, no proxy)

New Settings Apps:
display+touch - to enable peek (direct update, no proxy)
extras+info - to enable call+SMS filter (I dunno why it was not available on 810, when in principle it should be... so I forced via fiddler proxy, as 925...)
call+SMS filter (after tapping/entering and then exiting extras+info, this settings app appears)

-------
Some thoughts:
-Nothing quite new for me with the Pro Cam App other than the UI and video, since I bought the ProShot app.
-I still have to try the other Photo/Video Apps :smile:
-Standalone storage check app is nice to have when you download a large amount of maps and save it in SD card. No idea why they had to remove the feature in the integrated storage check
-For some reason, Peek was not available for my Glance screen when I updated to GDR2/Amber so I had to update display+touch manually
-extras+info enabled the call+SMS filter, just as what was said in the WPCentral article, which is nice since even though I'm registered in the do not call registry, some calls manage to get through.

Got the Pro Cam and all others working with no issues, but I can't dl the WiFi app using Fiddler with 925 product code it doesn't work for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)